Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HGH
Dec 20, 2011
...There's a Monorabbit? And she has a terrible speech impediment? Guess we should add it to the growing menagerie of mono-animals. Still, I wonder where our "headmaster" from the previous game is right now, considering he seemed to be alive and well at the end.

Off to a great start though! Nothing like a fresh new cast that still looks highly familiar to get into the murder solving mood! DR0 looks like it'll be a fun read too! Hopefully you guys don't have too much trouble translating stuff or burn out. Best take it easy with a project this huge.

Best of all though, no more "JUNKOS" for 50% of the thread! ...Unless Junko's ghost somehow shows up to murder everyone again or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

legoman727 posted:

Ridiculous shot in the dark time.

Sailor Moon here is evil. Or dead first. That hair is far too ridiculous to live.

EDIT: Assuming redhead is a SHSL Photographer from the camera in her opening shot... Punk might be a SHSL Mechanic?

...What exactly is up with her mouth? Is she whistling?

slowbeef posted:

:siren: Hey everyone! :siren:

JUNKOS got way out of hand in the last thread, and I'm gonna be strictly hitting for it in this thread. Do not invoke the JUNKOS meme.
Oh jeez, sorry for bringing it up at all in the first place. I was just hoping there won't be some huge bandwagon theory again.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'd rather judge the new characters on their own merits rather than on the previous cast and twists. I mean, for a moment, let's just all forget DR1 existed and see how they all pan out.
Well, except for fat Togami since there's such a high chance he's related to the original.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah, I agree with the assessment that Togami's doomed. You just don't get so lucky twice...

The cast has a neat set of names. Sonia Nevermind sounds like a silly British novel protagonist too.

Quick question about translation! What exactly does the "Heart-thumping" part of the the field trip mean? I've seen this translated differently in multiple media, from "Heart-pounding" to "Heart-throbbing". Is the character literally saying heartbeat noises?

Usami seems like a deranged version of Monobear that Naegi would have built after the first game. Well, if he had any mechanics or AI skills. The only one still possibly around at that time would be Alter-Ego, but it's fate is still unclear...

EDIT:Oh, so Usami's slurring her Rs because she constantly says desu. Sounds like it'd get pretty obnoxious eventually.

HGH fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Dec 12, 2012

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The world map seems neat. Running around on a horizontal plain to go between different locations seems a bit more practical than having to hunt down stairs in first person view. That is, assuming you want to walk everywhere to raise that pet.

I'm not sure I get Nagito. He claims to be a bit pessimistic then starts lecturing Hinata about pessimism?

I'm liking how Hinata's reacting to the outrageous stuff he's run into so far. Doesn't seem like he'll be super accepting of things or want to go along with plans. Nice contrast from Naegi and Nagito.

We seem to be getting a hope shard simply by introducing ourselves to other characters, so it looks like you'll only actually have to work for five of them? Though I wonder if there's more stand-offish people like Togami who wouldn't immediately give you a hope shard.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Pretty much all the characters in DR1 had some hidden depths when we talked to them at length. I'm sure it'll be the same for these guys after we give them some time to do something beyond basic introductions. I'm sure even Mikan'll open up later. After all, Chihri had some pretty interesting hidden depths.

I pretty much assumed Ibuki would be a punk rocker from her look. Glad I'm not too far off the mark. She seems like she'll be a fun character to interact with, at least, from the diversity of her reactions and portraits shown so far.

I don't know why, but I feel like Hinata and the SHSL Physician are cut from the same branch. They sorta sound similar in a way, minus the constant insults.

Neat to see Monobear make his first appearance, even if it's just a background machine. Certainly not ominous or anything.

And every time I see the world map, I can't help but think all the other students should be following you there, like silly old TV show credits.

EDIT: Someone was asking about the academy's building, but consider this image from the intro and how many separate buildings there already are. I don't think the novel expanded much on it.

HGH fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 18, 2012

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The place is called Jabberwock Park. Perhaps it's some sort of Alice in Wonderland reference? I'm not familiar with the book's creatures to be able to discern anything of note.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I know this was fairly tame, but I can't help but feel slightly disturbed at what is essentially a psychopath torturing a mentally ill person. I'm hoping it doesn't get worse but knowing everything so far, it probably will. I guess I just can't stomach this kind of thing. Feels kinda hypocritical after everything that happened in DR1, but I get the feeling the first-person narration is doing its job too well.

HGH fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 14, 2013

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Hinata's hair has a life of its own in that gif. Look at that strand wobble.

Guess I'll echo all the pleasant surprises at seeing new content and smarter discussion. I'm not exactly sure where the Hanamura suspicion is coming from, but I guess he is acting a bit shifty towards some of the evidence points. I just really want to know what exactly happened under that table already. They really did spruce up this first mystery.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
From the looks of those descriptions, it seems like Kirigiri's hands haven't been horribly burnt yet. Interesting if that'll come about as part of a direct confrontation at some point. Also interesting is whatever third party is messing around with those bodies. Didn't expect someone else to be involved at all.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Falls Down Stairs posted:

I figured that it was inevitable that Kirigiri show up in DR0. Glad she's back.

What gave you that idea? :confused: I would think that her hands would have to already be burned, since she's going to have to forget the events of DR0 later, but she remembers her burned hands in DR1.

I stupidly assumed that a person with burnt hands and gloves wouldn't be able to really feel much, but after some research and the posts here I guess I ended up terribly wrong. And it doesn't gel with was told in DR1 anyway.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think his eyes have that crazy spiral pattern he had during the bigger CGs rather than not having pupils.

Still, did the game really need a flashback to the same three sentences three times in a row(when mentioning Togami and Nagito's "Ow")? I felt that was really rather silly.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Looks like a loud laugh/yell and Ibuki's just really spraying it. Or maybe it's more along the lines of a spit take.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Speaking of the illustrator, apparently there was some sort of April Fools picture on Spike's website with the DR2 cast. Looks like it's gone now but I was wondering what it was if anyone catched it?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Swimming for three hours eh? What a totally inconspicuous way to wash off blood as well as having an alibi as soon as the corpse is discovered. Not sure about motive, but Mahiru was out and about the night Hinata played the game, and she seemed out of it and gave a really dumb excuse.

I doubt Kuzuryu did it for some reason. From the dialogue it seemed he was panicking. He probably saw the corpse and tried to get away as fast as possible. And Saionji running away and crying probably means she saw it too, leaving Souda to be the third person.

A shame to die this early, she seemed pretty interesting and we didn't get to find out that much about her. Oh well.

HGH fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 23, 2013

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Addict posted:

A 3 hour swim where you didn't go anywhere seems like a really crappy alibi to wash the blood off. She cant kill with her sword because then its obvious. Seems too easy though.

Actually, she can kill with her sword without it being obvious, because the one she's carrying is her practice sword, as in it's made of wood. This was mentioned early in the game I think.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

HelloWinter posted:

Odd place for the level up message to pop up at.
That's some nice asset reuse there.

But come to think of it, this room doesn't have windows. And it was on the third floor too. I guess they messed up there, or just retconned it.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Motive isn't exactly the first thing that comes to mind with this series, mostly because of the first game's first cases.

Also, I'm not sure why this keeps getting glossed over in theorycrafting, but Peko's sword is wooden. She doesn't have her actual sword on her, only a practice one.

Edit: EFB. Guess I was too slow writing that.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Wasn't the large amount of blood splatters added as evidence that she crawled after getting hit in the head?
And in that case, isn't the position she's lying in something she did herself?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The fact that his cheeks are so pink makes it way sillier than it looks though.

Not much to say right now. Kuzuryu wasn't wet after we saw him near the diner and he couldn't change clothes if he did commit the murder, so I doubt he was the one to use the bottles to wash off blood so I'm pretty sure it's not him. Doesn't explain why he's pressing the issue so much though. Considering his comments about the reality of the situation, I guess he might be trying to commit suicide by proxy like Aoi did back in the first game because he can't get over what happened to his sister.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I love how these two never fail to be entertaining. :allears:

It kind of bothers me that they have no interest in listening to or trying to make an ally out of Monomi, though. I mean, she hasn't done anything to hinder them aside from bringing them to the island. Not to mention that she's been destroying the Monobeasts and even convinced Monobear to save Kuzuryuu's life, from all indication.

She seems really intent on keeping them on the islands, or at the very least that's what her dialogue seems to suggest. Pretty much everyone's opposed to that idea considering the current situation and the fact she brought them there without being prompted.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Monobear was going off about a traitor amidst the students. Maybe he meant it more along this context? As in a prep student managing to sneak in with the SHSL students? If everyone's memories have been wiped, it could be part of what Hinata forgot.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Penakoto posted:

I kinda wanna spend time with Mikan, seems appropriate somehow what with her spending most of her time nursing Kuzuryuu.

Actually, that's probably gonna be her excuse to blow us off if she does end up winning. She's probably too busy to hang out right now.

It's nice to see everyone interact normally like this, it feels more ...natural? Amusing?
Maybe it's because the islands are way more open, but free time/not abnormal sections of the game also feel more interesting to watch. The school in the first kinda ended up samey after a while, even though they tried to diversify the area with a bunch of different rooms.

Wyvernil posted:

Decided to go for Souda, Akane, and Nidai this time. The latter two are mostly because of comments like this:

...which are starting to sound particularly ominous. They're really hinting that Akane's going to be involved in the next murder, aren't they? Which will be predicated on her doing something dumb that gets her or someone else killed. I suppose it depends on what the next motive will be, and whether it's something that's going to set her off.

It could always play out like the last murder. We were investigating the weird video game plot but then ended up side tracked because of the beach party, so Akane might go off and do some dumb thing while a murder's happening somewhere else. Although the game rarely repeats gimmicks/the way murders are unveiled, but for some reason I get the feeling the whole Nida/Akane thing that's been going on for a bit now isn't as serious as it's implied.

HGH fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 26, 2013

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Battle Pigeon posted:

Feel a bit like this is cheating, since you wouldn't be able to peer over screenshots like this when playing, but... I was looking to see if there was anywhere supplies from that room that has everything could have been used, and found this. The pillar in the background looks a lot thicker than in the second image, looking at the bit at the top near the lights. The green lighting made it really visible. If it isn't just the angle or whatever, is there any way Saionji was there already when Hinata discovered the body, just covered behind wallpaper/whatever from that supply closet that had everything? There were even enough stickers to put in roughly the same places to make it look similar.

No idea how it would have been pulled off, but there it is.

At the very least, the wallpaper in the bottom left corner does fit the pattern of the pillar.
Maybe whoever did it managed to cover the pillar with wallpaper using one of the stepladders before setting up the corpses? But yeah, this seems like a pretty important observation. The killer could have committed both murders overnight and set up both bodies before staging the fake video, which leaves more time to quickly tear down the wallpaper while fiddling with the temperature, and finally lock the place. Although if any of this is true then there should be a pretty big pile of torn wallpaper stashed somewhere nearby.
If it really is Mikan like everyone is theorizing it kinda leaves a tiny timeframe for all of this to happen though.

Still, it's a bit too early to jump to conclusions like this. There might be someone inside the supply room for all we know. Feels like just one or two clues might solve this though.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So Nanami just chewed on a wad of dried glue? Shouldn't that be stupidly toxic?
I can't imagine a door being super-glued locked for some reason. It's the only explanation but it feels kinda weird. Maybe I underestimate the power of adhesives.

I thought the wiped blood looked more like a dried stain to indicate that one of the murders took place way earlier.

Blasmeister posted:

Kuzuryuu is being awfully helpful at noticing the red herring clues, too. Maybe his reformation post-trial was all an act? :tinfoil:

I think he's trying to be genuinely helpful while being awfully gullible. At the very least we know now that the Drumstick was planted and Ibuki died after Saoinji.
I hate to say this but some things have been pointed out so obviously that I can't help but feel that they're wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Well at least the whole wallpaper thing is 100% confirmed now. And yeah, Mikan trying hard to give herself an alibi feels kinda suspicious. Weird that'd she just up and kill two people though. The amount of parallels to case 3 in DR1 is already pretty big, but if she turns out to have some crazy psycho personality like Celes did in DR1 then it feels like it'd be kinda recycled too much. Although there isn't an accomplice this time around at least.

• Locked thread