Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

It's... more anime than I thought possible :catstare:

Is that muscle guy giving off electricity from his eyebrows? What is that chef-guy? And totally-not-Togami really put on a few before the sequel, wow. Still an amazing rear end in a top hat :allears:

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Aww balls, I'd stopped actively following this thread after Togami died back in Chapter one and I figured with 9000 posts and months past since then the game must be close to wrapping up and I'd better get caught up. A week later and welp... :shepicide:

At least now I can epress my amusement at just how mad Akane's nonchalance made Souda back in trial one, and how Ibuki is just the best character - may she never die and continue to make silly faces and point at things :allears:

Last trial was a lot of fun, even with the solution being something the thread had speculated, guessed and decided wouldn't be satisfying previously, they pulled off the plot twist much more satisfyingly than I would have thought and the post-vote end of the trial had an amazing sense of dread as Peko revealed her gambit. They even managed to give Kuzuryuu some development, and make Koizumi's death even more tragic. It would have been nice if we'd have managed to spend at least one free time with her before she died, but I guess we'll see them eventually.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Man this murder feels particularly dark, I'm not sure if it's the cruelty of the whole forced ritual suicide on camera thing, the lighting and music, or that Ibuki was my favourite character. This was some cold poo poo and I have no sympathy for whoever did this :(

So I hope it's saionji because I don't want anyone else to have been capable of it.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

I feel like the heat has to play some part in it due to storytelling conventions, and the only thing I can think of for that would be to obscure how long a body has been dead for. I'm not really a big fan of the 'Mikan set it up so Hinata would be there for the call to see the suicide' theory, partly because it seems completely off for Mikan's character in terms of killing at all and elaborate planning and partly because I don't like the idea of faking Ibuki's time of death when killing her whenever you want is basically trivial just by ordering her to do it.

Things we do know:

Saionji hasn't been seen and possibly not been heard from since the group arrived at the motel as per Sonia's statement in the first videochat. This puts Saionji's time of death potentially anywhere in the 2+ days they were there.

Ibuki was definitely alive at the time of the evening announcement and was dead shortly after the morning announcement.

Someone set the camera to make a video call in the club before the time people were meant to be there. As soon as the call picked up the suicide scene played out. The call waits, blinking, until its picked up at the other end. This could mean that Ibuki was instructed to hang herself as soon as the call picks up and she hears someone on the other side. This doesn't require the murderer's presence, BUT we have the lights go out as soon as she reaches for the rope. I don't think I can see this one as being automatic, and we know the murderer was at the scene after Hinata was there to string up Saionji, so this probably wasn't supposed to be the intended plan.
Some questions need to be answered:

1) was the on-camera suicide 'set off' earlier than planned? It seems like the murderer hadn't finished setting up the scene properly with Saionji still yet to be strung up as the morning announcment went off. This seems like very poor planning on the murderer's part, not having things set up half an hour before people were sure to turn up.

2) Mikan's timeline - was she up to something?: She left the hospital that night, came to the hotel and then fell asleep on Hinata. It's noteworthy that Hinata woke up first, meaning that it is unlikely Mikan was intending to do anything like make sure Hinata saw the video call at a specific time. She was upstairs in the hospital at the time of the video call.

3) Where did the suicide camera feed take place? It seems unreasonable to think that the camera was anywhere other than at the club. You can see pink objects on the floor when Hinata finds Ibuki's body. We should probably assume that the call came from the club unless any other evidence comes out.

4) Who was on the camera feed? We know that more than one person was present from the lights going out, so if the suicide was faked (which would only make sense to do in the first place if Ibuki were dead already) who turned off the lights? Going to assume it was Ibuki.

5) Locked door mystery - if the murderer strung up Saionji then locked the door, are they still inside the building? how did they lock the windowless club? Ibuki was definitely dead before the door was locked, so having her lock herself in with a dead Saionji and then off herself seems like it was supposed to be the plan... but why go to the trouble of locking it now? Saionji couldn't string herself up, so someone else was involved, why lock the door at that point to try to show otherwise?

There still seems to be a lot of pieces missing here. I'm stuck on whether the (candle?)lights going out during the video call proves there was a second person or whether it's more a narrative/dramatic convenience to not have to show an onscreen suicide. The heat feels like it is meant to cover up that Saionji has been dead for a day or more. The whole mess with the timing of the video call feels overly complicated and dramatic for the sake of it on the part of the murderer - they seem to have wanted to have both groups turn up to their call, have the door locked so the motel group couldn't get in, while Mikan/Kuzuryuu/Hinata witness Ibuki's suicide. Why? what does that achieve? Is it trying to frame Ibuki for Saionji's murder? What does the murderer gain by doing this apart from freaking people the gently caress out and hoping that people just assume noone told Ibuki to murder-suicide.

Hinata comes out of this turn of events looking fairly guilty himself, but it was only by happenstance that this came to be, unless we're going with Mikan waking Hinata up accidentally-on-purpose, and even then she would have had to meet kuzuryuu, run to the club, string up saionji, lock the place from the inside, escape, then beat kuzuryuu to the motel all within the space of time between Hinata finding the body and that short conversation at the motel.

Ugh, going round in circles at this point, going to have to stop before I go cross-eyed.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Yeah I don't think wallpaper discussion really achieves much of anything - if Saionji was under wallpaper cover when Hinata burst in then someone had to take the paper off afterwards anyway and that's only fractionally faster than just strapping the body up there to begin with after he leaves so it doesn't really change any of the facts of the case, just adds an unncessary additional step. The killer would still have to be there before and after Hinata was.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Sadly, I think Mikan could be cleared of Ibuki's murder based on this evidence: She and Hinata arrived at the hospital together. At that time, the light on the communications set was not blinking. After they split up (and Mikan went upstairs to the rest ward), Hinata immediately went downstairs and the light was blinking, meaning someone had to have sent the signal between Hinata's arrival at the hospital and return to the lobby. I don't think Mikan would had enough time to run all the way to the music club before Hinata reached the hospital lobby.

Good spot on this, it confirms that there were people active in the club while Hinata and Mikan were checking Komaeda and that the 'crime scene' was still being set up during the minutes before the morning announcement. This makes the theory that Hinata could have set things off more early than the killer wanted more plausible. The killer really was cutting it tight on time for very little visible gain so far. Curious.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

Those look like the remains of the camera/monitor.

The pink debris was also there when Hinata first arrived at the club. If it is the complete camera remnants, then it kinda puts paid to many of the 'hospital room set' theories.

E:

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 31, 2014

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

And More posted:

No, the camera is on the left side. The monitor is by the bar.

No, those are monobear's monitors/security cameras. They're all over the place. The ones Souda made were pink.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

zetsubous posted:

Ugh, at this point I'm on board with the pillar theory as being a real thing but it really ticks me off. I've rolled with all the other stupid poo poo this game has thrown at us, but this one is making me really sperg out. Come on, there is absolutely no way to tie someone to a pillar, cover them with wallpaper, and not have it be immediately and incredibly obvious. It definitely wouldn't look like the first picture unless you took the time to just go ahead and build a new loving pillar around the old one.

I mean, I realize Nidai took a bazooka to the chest, but my acceptance of cartoon physics still only goes so far. You can't put paper over someone and flatten them. Souda or Mikan or whoever isn't Wile E. Coyote.

I think it's not so much wallpapering over them, as taking a large sheet of wallpaper and taping it to itself making a cylinder larger than the original pillar, so there'd be a gap between the paper and the original pillar.

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 1, 2014

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Yeah, the drumstick was probably snapped beforehand and left on the floor to disguise the glue that was actually keeping the door shut, while giving alibis to people who were definitely outside the club to witness the door being broken down. Kuzuryuu is being awfully helpful at noticing the red herring clues, too. Maybe his reformation post-trial was all an act? :tinfoil:

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Komeada seems to be savvy enough to see that Hinata might need some evidence to defend himself in the trial. How nice of him :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

Krinkle posted:

Miyoda was lacking in brains at that moment and would have hung herself, sure, but Sayonji wasn't cowardly, that lion should have been the gymnast. Who would be broken down for parts though? I feel like whoever the movie points towards being the third victim will end up being the culprit and s/he'll go "wow I really dodged a bullet huh guys? feel sorry for me and look at everyone else who'd wanna kill ME" to misdirect.

e: not to say Miyoda DID hang herself, just that it thematically makes sense with the false scenario the perpetrator is trying to convey.

Saionji locked herself in her room, that is sorta cowardly. 'Heartless' seems like it could potentially be kuzuryuu to me. Not sure if there is means to hack anyone into pieces though, so maybe this line of reasoning isn't likely to lead anywhere.

• Locked thread