Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

Power of Pecota posted:

My first major impressions with this cast was "OH MY GOD FAT TOGAMI" and also my second and third.

^this.

I also approve of this thread. Fantastic Early Christmas Present.

Thank you guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

Weird, the Blackout wasn't quite the same as last time.

I mean, Hajime sounds like he's malfunctioning lol.

also the names....DR2 staff are so.....idk what's the adjective for it.

Hajime? Owari? Gundam is lolwut. Teru teru as in Teltel?Cat puns ahoy for Nekomaru I'm sure, but Sonia Nevermind? That's a bit more Grandoise than Celestia Ludenburg for sure. I could not hold a straight face for what looks like our Fukawa x Kirigiri cross over. Peko Pekoyama? lol.

I love you DR2~

huh, didn't catch the Makoto Naegi da. nice one guys.

Also that Opening gave me Umineko throwbacks.

I like.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

orenronen posted:

"Make no mistake. We are not covering this incident up to escape responsibility. If I could end it all here and now by simply taking responsibility, I would do so in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, this particular incident cannot be dealt with that easily. It doesn’t even matter if each and every one of us ‘takes responsibility’. We’re dealing with a problem that exists in an entirely different dimension."

I'm really wondering how much to read in to the whole "different Dimension" thing.

I mean, the circumstances about this whole island adventure thing is reallly bizarre as it is, and if this really is the future from DR1, why would Togami re-attend the high school? I mean, I know it is certainly possible to ..... let yourself go within a few months to a year, but ....

I don't know, something's not right about Togami being here. Well, I guess its pointless to speculate on why at this point, but still, alternate dimensions wouldn't be the weirdest thing DR has done.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

I love how they managed to invoke the same sense of isolation and confinement as in the first game.

The first game has this wonderfully oppressive atmosphere; oddly lit corridors and the omnipresent steel plates bolted over the windows cultivated a sense of claustrophobic dread. Even as the new floors opened up and more and more rooms became available, you can't ever forget that they're all stuck in there together, possibly forever, with potentially volatile strangers who could snap at any moment.

And now we're on an island... there's bright sunlight, blue skies, possibly a cool breeze and the gentle sound of the waves crashing against the shore... but even as idyllic as it seems, it still doesn't change the fact that they're still cut off from the rest of the world. Isolated. Confined. Trapped with a bunch of strangers and a bizarre talking stuffed animal who wants God only knows what from them.

What's really interesting though is the stark contrast between them though.

Sure they both share an isolated environment, but one is, arguably, considerably
more....pleasant.

The school was set up to feel like a prison, the main theme of course, being despair, with Hope triumphing in the end.

This time though....the environment is a calm, sunny beach / island that for the most part we can assume to be "safe." for the time being. It feels like a total flip-flop.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

Fedule posted:

Operation Tone-Down-Usami's-Speech-While-Maintaining-Character-And-Consistency is beginning the R&D phase. We present our current prototype. We request feedback.

The idea here is that rather than a speech impediment as such, Usami speaks like this on purpose, and as such can turn it off and on in accordance with... whatever her priorities are. Key Phrases, like Ewectwonic Student Handbook, and (I guess) "field twip", get the tweatment. Also, if she's emphasizing a word - like with "bwoom" up there*, it gets the tweatment. Otherwise, she's quite capable of speaking normally.

*I also altered the phrasing of this line to make the intended word "bloom" more obvious in context

(Since focal words are likely to come towards the end of sentences, this would also make her character a tiny bit more ~true to the spirit of the original work~.

Basically, when it gets laid on thick, it's because she's laying it on thick herself. So, even if she retroactively gains the ability to speak with perfect clarity, she's still going to throw out her "vewy wuvly animal with fwuffy fwuffy fur!" line and her "wuv! wuv!" routine.

I don't know, it's a little weird to have a tic like that to not have a defined pattern. I had no problems with "fwower and bwoom" because it made sense to me since that's the stereo-type for baby talk. Flower and bwoom felt wrong. I mean, once you learn how to make the "l" sound, you don't forget it. Right?

It's fine if there are those times where usami really does drop the baby talk (if she does so in the Japanese version) to speak about something seriously. However, if she isn't, then I see no reason to hold back with the baby talk. It's just kind of awkward to hear her talk normally and as a baby within the same few sentences.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

CandyCrazy posted:

Naegi presumably entered Hope's Peak his second year, since he was already previously a high-school student, which would put him at the 16-17 range, and there was explicitly a two-year time gap, so he'd actually be 18 or 19, well past the age for a growth spurt.

And put me in the camp that thinks that Nagito's so obviously based off of Naegi that actually being him goes straight back into being unlikely. Even Celes killing Yamada was subtler. Plus, there's the issue with reconciling Naegi's "hope for the best" attitude with Nagito's "expect the worst" one.

SHSL Despair are just lucky that none of the characters grew/cut their hair/maintained their appearance perfectly for over two years.

However, it is extremely interesting that Junko mentioned how their hapiness only lasted for a single year. We "know" more or less that their first year was...."normal" until the most despair inducing event, what we don't know is what happaned during the year after.

The students here are probably juniors to the first group, simply because Togami's already here. Ah, but I guess we'd have to learn the circumstances behind Togami's presence. I kinda doubt that this is some "alternate universe" though. It's also possible that Hope's Peak more or less just started to measure Luck, and they brought a SHSL good luck each year. It doesn't have to be surprising that there's more than 1 Good Luck.

At this point though, I'd say Nagito's just some form of red herring.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

Fedule posted:

OK guys, maybe we ought t-

-yeah, what he said. You're good po-lice, slowbeef.

For what it's worth, I plan to continue with Anecdotes as they are now, although I won't always have one for every update because come on - but for now, at least, there's a lot to talk about (and, personally, I'd rather do it now than when we're in the middle of plot-bombs and murder).

Endless Video? Good god, man, you need to think bigger. Here is Miss Monomi's Practice Lesson as performed by Infinite Jukebox - a fascinating piece of machinery that takes your song and creates not just a dumb loop but an actual, varying, infinite mix. It's wonderful.

The downside is that it requires either Chrome or Safari to run due to super advanced magical audio stuff, but, good god, is it worth it.

I just so happan to have Chrome!

However I can't seem to play the song when I navigate to other tabs. Bummer.

Alright, we'll see how the next update sounds. Thanks again for the work guys.

On the topic of the artwork, I've really grown to like it, along with the expressions of the cast. They manage to get each character to express themself so well. I can't wait to get to know these new guys.

I've kinda noticed how Usami mirrors a lot of monobear's poses and expressions. I find it a little interesting how Usami isn't split into a white and black half.

Or perhaps it'd be a Pink and Red Half?

Joenen fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 16, 2012

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

Twiddy posted:

I think I understand this rear end in a top hat a little better now. I wonder how many times he's seen Home Alone at this point? That may be a bit of extrapolation, but there's a very clear annoyance at repetition brought about because the girl has no memory.

huh, this post went in a pretty different direction than what I thought it would take.

I think he's just trying to distance himself from her emotionally. I think its a little obvious that he does like her. He did seem pretty hurt that she didn't remember the other day. I think he's just being mean to push her away from him. It probably hurts to like someone who can't remember you.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Chihiro's voice actor, Kouki Miyata, is a guy. :v:

Yes, but he specialized in little girl/kid voices, right?

This guy's voice is way too masculine. I was kinda thrown off by it myself. I was sure with a Baby face like that, the voice would be a less definitive.

I mean, if Kobayashi was doing his voice instead of Mihiru's, then I'd agree that there's that posibility, for multiple reasons, but that aside.

I found it interesting that we didn't get a cultural note on Nagito's "can't have too many fingers" comment. It is a direct reference to a Yakuza practice of cutting off one's finger and presenting it to an offended Yakuza member. I forget the exact details of course but I was surprised it wasn't referenced.

Joenen fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 20, 2012

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

EDIT: what he^ said.

Joenen fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 20, 2012

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

Anyone else think Matsuda's in trouble? Kamishiro doesn't seem innocent enough to be a simple bystander.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

Everyone forgets Kirigiri (headmaster) was the first death I see....

4th Asclepiadean posted:

What was Monomi thinking by just standing in front of the robot overlord like that? There's no way that could have accomplished anything other than prove Monobear's point. It really does make me think that Monomi and Monobear might be operated by the same person, or at least the same group. The fact that both animals had some sort of presence set up on the island beforehand really makes that to be too much of a coincidence.

The person voicing monomi is more than likely the same person voicing monobear. If I remember correctly, you never hear them speaking at the same time. Besides, instead of operating Usami, there are a billion better ways to prepare a counter-strike against monobear.

Its likely the mastermind putting on a show. It had excellent results.

Joenen fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 11, 2013

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

Wow, I guess the amount of the real Junko's personality that we got back in DR1 was quite an introduction to how crazy she really is, but we really had no idea, did we? This half chapter just confirms it all... :stare:

I'm pretty certain her sanity or lack thereof was made pretty clear in DR1.

At least it seems she hasn't changed personalities yet. Seemingly. Though I'm sure Ryouko will let us know if she starts to play with her hair.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

I think sonia might...like Togami. Just a hunch right now. Though there could be a surprise twist with Machiru.

Well, this is Anime-style story-telling after all. I'm sure its possible to flip over like that...

orenronen posted:

Come, my Four Dark Gods of Destruction! Our destination... Jabberwock Park!

Why is he so awesome?

orenronen posted:

Don't worry about me, just go ahead...! I'll catch up in no time!
She's....just not normal. In a way that is very funny to watch.

orenronen posted:

The rest followed suit, and left the restaurant, complaining.
And we should leave too... but not before seeing what the two that are still here have to say.

I guess... I should go too.
We should.

...But not before we talk to these two, who are still in the lobby!

Right. Off to the park.

...But not before we talk to Souda, who's also still at the hotel.

He’s gone... I just hope he's going to the park like he should.
Well, I should too.

Yes, we should.

The rumors were right, it seems.

We're here!

Finally!

Joenen fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 18, 2013

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

Minister Robathan posted:

Did you really have to copy paste practically the entire loving update so you could make make pithy one line remarks about 5 things?

E for content: I find the characters in this game easier to immediately identify than in DR1, but I still have a hard time telling a couple of the girls apart. I mean, I got their archetypes in both games pretty much immediately, but with such a large cast I find it hard to immediately differentiate Tsumiki, Koizumi, Nanami and to some extent Sonia.

Ok, part of it is that I have trouble remembering their names, and linking the names to the images, or their SHSL...

Sorry, didn't intend it to be that long....I'll cut it down.

The "Sonia liking Togami" thing was really only a hunch or prediction of sorts. She At least has respect for him. Togami may still be an arrogant tophat kind of guy, but he knows what he's doing, and she recognizes that.

Though yeah, I guess its too early to speculate on future relationships and the like. That bomb-looking thing is more important. And of course our mechanic is probably too scared to even look at it, let alone physically making contact with it.

Not that Monobear would even let him try, but still.

Joenen fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 18, 2013

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

Fedule posted:

It must be Gundam and Togami for entertainment and potentially some more info.

This so much.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

Grah Oren! You're supposed to let the action sequence finish and THEN hang us from a cliff!

Hmmm, so her ability doesn't seem to be SHSL Track Runner if Madarai is catching up to her. Something about Energy and Chess...and that was a weird emphasis on the "mate" part.

Bah, I'll just wait for the next update. Really interesting.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Was I the only one who got Maizono vibes from that line for some reason? Also interesting that she's suddenly addressing the viewer now.

And geez, I thought that was Syo for a second.

I got the Maizono Vibes too. To me, she even looks like her, but that might be the colorblind talking.

If anything, they're definately two characters cut from the same cloth.

For what its worth, Ryouko's probably SHSL Chess Player level too. "Checkmate" is her catchphrase after all.

Well, after "Matsuda-kun" of course.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

Rinoka posted:

Think about it: she's a SHSL Analyst.

That means she can basically play a single junk game and then WIPE THE FLOOR with someone, by predicting what they'd do next.

Analysts probably wouldn't call their test Data 'junk' but yeah, she could probably make excellent use of game theory.

Now, as to why Matsuda doesn't want her to use her ability on him, well, I wonder.

She's clearly good at predicting human actions, but I wonder how well she can read people's hearts?

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

The only things I got spoiled on, technically, was the character cast from the DR2 website, and by extension Usami's change into monomi.

I cannot begin to describe my face when I saw Fat togami.

HelloWinter posted:

... and hamsters, right? Right?

I also cannot believe I missed this. Nice! I'd want a Gundam avatar but I'm way too scared to google search....and it seems those fears are justified.

Joenen fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 28, 2013

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

Wait, Gundam's a friggin' MAGE now?

He is extreme in the coolest possible ways, even when he's a dork.

Strange Quark posted:

Hell, you don't need to be in Japan to get some Ramune. Any Asian supermarket will likely have them. The one my parents run is mostly Chinese focused, and even they stock it. :v:
Good to know, I've always wondered why no one's carbonated lemonade yet.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

I get the feeling I would enjoy Strawberry Ramune more than Strawberry Lemonade.

Prison Warden posted:

Learn something new all the time, I guess. At least this isn't as big a culture shock as learning that cider is usually non-alchoholic in the US (which coloured my perceptions of a few bits of American media back in the day).

Likewise, I didn't know Cider was "traditionally" alchoholic in other countries.

I mean, it doesn't surprise me given Cider is served from a bottle, but still, didn't realize it was an American thing to have it prepared without alchohol.

Not sure how that'd color your perceptions though.

More closely on topic, Togami's character is interesting to say the least. I like it but jeez, forget Deathflags, he's practically wrapped in one big banner. That's....probably why he'll live through it all though.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

There was that whole thing about that public school version of Hope's Peak, and how students might get eligible for the Private School version that DR0 talked about. How its basically a scam to fund the main private acadamy. I'm pretty sure its been hypothesized that Hinata is possibly a student from there, and thus not having an SHSL talent.

Or rather, he probably would have one, it'd just be something like "SHSL Hard Worker". Or at least that's the title I'd give to someone who beat out all the rest of students trying to make it there.

Hinata certainly demonstrated how badly he wanted to go to Hope's Peak after all...unless of course that was some kind of weirdness caused by the memory wipe.

purple_sammich posted:

I don't think Kuzuryuu is a crossdresser. It seems to me that he's simply self-conscious about being a young, fresh-faced yakuza with a small build. I think the leap to "Aha he must be a girl!" is too extreme and ruins the humor of the situation. Also, his voice is pretty masculine, it's not ambiguous like Chihiro's voice was.

Very much this.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah, best to just wait for the story to tell itself some more.

HelloWinter posted:

A bit late for contributing, but here we go anyway:

Thank you so very much for this. This is awesome.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

EDIT: Disregard, didn't refresh after i finished reading and others posted.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

Togami did say that there are three groups connected to our SHSLs that could pull something like this off, I believe it was Kuzuryuu's group, the Togami group, and Sonia's country.

Though my money is on the Neverminds. Well, if only for that name. Though given that there's both Monobear and Monomi, its possible there's a collaboration between two of them...

orenronen posted:

It gets worse when she does both at the same time.

I was under the impression that sonia had a formalized tone of speech, but does she switch around even that too?

The "you betcha" line wasn't expected, granted, neither was the obscure popculture reference.

These free time events were fantastic. Fatogami became much more interesting to me afterwards. Before I just assumed he's toast and didn't invest much interest on him, but its nice to see how he's mellowed out compared to before. Still an arse but loathable.

Joenen fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 13, 2013

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

There are multiple reasons as to why this was a fantastic read through, but there's too may to comment on, so I'll just say, thanks guys.

This murder is really perplexing right now. Not only was the kill relatively silent (as far as we know) but there's still several important parts.

Things aren't looking good for Pekoyama's case.

Our SHSL Coach probably scrammed for the crapper when it was available. Pekopeko appeared before then if I recall correctly. The Victim died from stab wounds, carried out in a manner that was apparently silent, in which the victim didn't make any sounds of pain, indicating instant, death or an otherwise silencing stab into the throat which can assume would be part of her SHSL talents. She also dissapeared from the scene at a convenient time and was sent to where the breakers for cottage were.

However, I cant't resign myself to this just yet, there's still plenty of wiggle room. Togami could've been Gagged as he was being skewere, which theoretically anyone could do. someone would've had to prepare some form of cover for themselves, otherwise we can assume that whoever's soaking wet from a quick shower is our culprit. I'm surprised other people noticed that green substance which could be some form of illuminant.

Also, I do not think its possible to effectively stage an "under the floorboard assault" given how in the world can one see from under the floor? Do we assume there's a knothole conveniently stationed at every plank? There's enough space for a person to hide there sure, but is that enough space to merely crawl on hands and knees or is there almost walking space?

Oh, and in case DR2 feels like repeating what happaned in DR1, I might as well throw it out there that we could've been introduced to a fake Togami the whole time, and the real one is, for whatever reason, the mastermind. We shouldn't underestimate the Togami Group after all, though I myself doubt it.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

Jeek posted:

The wounds are all between the throat and the stomach, so whatever the reason Togami didn't scream, it is not from an attack on the throat. Also, if Peko wants to murder somebody, it is unwise of her to choose stabbing as she is the one most proficient of doing so.

As for stabbing under the floor, it has been established that the floors are old with gaps between the planks, which would be enough for a skewer to go through. Besides, there is a chance that the knife is a trap for luring Togami, or prepared by a second murderer for his/her own use, either of which case would mean somebody will go under the table and get stabbed.

I can't help but feel you didn't think my post over, and as someone mentioned there's a stab wound right in his, well, what could be his neck. Depends on how much of it his Fat is or isn't obscuring.

Attacking Togami under the floor is incredibly reckless, even with night vision goggles, unless the culprit was planning on stabbing him through the carpet too. Unless I'm horribly misinformed and that Nightvision goggles an indeed see through these things.

(EDIT: I thought I had mentioned this during my last post...guess not)

Let's not forget that someone astutely noticed how one of Togami's lock boxes has been left open, so not only was togami specifically targeted, the culprit must have been able to get out from under the floor and frisk him for his own key to his lock box with the key to the other lockbox.

So the whole point of attacking from the floor seems really moot to me. Now Escaping into the floor on the other hand isn't too bad an idea. It'd prove as a means to get in and out of the otherwise locked bathroom, as well as getting to the circuit breakers, assuming Pekoyama isn't the culprit or has a valid reason to not be guarding the box that the culprit was aware of and could exploit.

Unless perhaps I'm misremembering and the person who saw an open lockbox was mistaken.

Ah, almost forgot. We have an SHSL Bloodhound it seems. perhaps she'll help us in finding the culprit?

Joenen fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 26, 2013

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

The ways an update can change a theory =/

Togami probably wasn't even wearing the goggles, but just looking through them. If he needs his glasses to see further, he'd have to hold up the goggles in front of them.

So It doesn't look like togami was targeted, it looks more like he saw someone doing something suspicious, and it turned into murder.

The fact that Togami saw them and walked over to them, must mean the culprit wasn't attacking him from under the floor boards by surprise, but in plain sight after Togami approached them. Then afterwards, the culprit escaped under the floorboards, and came up elsewhere. Its possible they cleaned up and rejoined the group, or could still be hiding somewhere.

Joenen fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 28, 2013

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

As much as I Hate t osay it, Gundam is a possible culprit as well. Assuming SHSL is more or less equivilant to a kind of Super power as stated somewhere in DR1, its conceivable that Gundam had his hamsters do something to orchestrate the blackout.

Of course, he'd be the one to carry out the actual Murder, and he'd escape under the floorboard, which explains how his earing got caught down there.

Eh, or just just dropped down there from the top. Just wanted to throw something new out there.

At this point I'm really hoping the next update clears up a few things. I really dislike all these chance assumptions people give the culprit.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

^^^ Really? Wouldn't the grate need to be removable at least for cleaning purposes?

Alternatively, there may be a way to get under there from outside.

The knife definitely isn't the weapon, so the weapon must be the missing skewer. The missing skewer definitely wasn't used in the dining area, so it was probably used through the floor. The game pointing out the wide gaps between the planks in the floor adds credence to this theory

Or the culprit used the table cloth to block the blood spatter.

Togami physically saw someone doing something. Then Died. Chances are the murder occurred above ground.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

EDIT: Disregard. It certainly IS possible to overthink things too much.

Joenen fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 3, 2013

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

HoneyBoy posted:

I thought this as well given Nagito's statement. I mostly don't want her to be a suspect because we've yet to learn anything about Kirigiri MK. II yet, I'm hoping she'll use that sword at some point and live up to her predecessor's namesake.

That's what I thought....that and she never said anything about it. Any normal person would just say "I have an upset stomach" or something like that (Nidai is just very mocho and has to be extremely blunt). Pekoyama never even gave her excuse so I assumed it was something too embarrassing for her to even hint at.

Though I am sorry if you guys were really offended by it. I did remove it, though I guess that doesn't mean much if you all quote the hell out of it.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

The table cloth could be used to block the blood splatter, but what I'm suggesting is that the knife wasn't used in the murder because the blood pattern on it doesn't make sense for a stabbing. This leaves only the missing skewer as a weapon, which would need to have been used through the floor because it's not anywhere in the room that we just finished investigating. Unless it's maybe just really well-hidden in the room and some other character will bring it up later, but I doubt it.

Here's my summary:

Nagito planted the knife and setup the blackout.
Togami saw Nagito going for the knife during the blackout. They struggle, but Togami prevails. Togami gets under the table, sees the knife and grabs it.
Someone stabs Togami through the gaps in the floor with the skewer

Yes, I think this is the key piece of evidence. Fire doors are generally one-way access points. Hanamura claims that he went to the kitchen, came back to the ballroom after the blackout, and then went back to the kitchen. This is impossible with the fire door there. We do know that he was able to say something in the room though. This indicates crawlspace shenanigans, to me.

I can't pin the murder on any one person at this point. Way too many unknown elements. Or perhaps I'm just missing something to connect them. I don't think we even know for sure whether or not the fire Door was triggered by the blackout. Granted I don't see why else it'd be mentioned if it wasn't.

If I had to pick someone, it'd be Hanamura, since I don't see Nagito as being a culprit. Since this is the tutorial trial, there has to be a reliable guide for the first portion, so I don't believe the game would through us that much of a curve this early on.

Joenen fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 3, 2013

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

This avatar....I feel violated :cry:

At least make it easier to tell who this is!

orenronen posted:

FWIW, the dialogue didn't originally involve cake - we had to make it this way to fit with the English idiom 'a piece of cake' (I was very happy to create a K-On! reference in the process). My choice of strawberry shortcake was entirely deliberate, though.

Edit: Well, since I'm sure someone is going to ask - Ibuki was originally all about eating cha-han (a Chinese fried rice dish) for breakfast.

I approve. Strawberry shortcake is the best.

Nice one.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

Its possible but a bit unlikely given at that age you usually are aware of what you can and can't eat.

Twiddy posted:

Welcome to Something Awful.

The dogpile occurred because it's a loving weird as hell comment to make. It's functionally identical to "she's randomly sick from a virus" and serves the exact same plot point. Someone bringing it up at all implies some weird fixation. In addition, nothing else was said in the post, so nothing was added to the conversation. I hope that explains it well enough so that people can shut up about this.

I apologize and don't mean to drag this on, but I do have to at least address this and say that no, I don't have any weird fixations or fetishes like that. In fact, its more likely the opposite that's the problem. I just know the general gist and that its probably quite uncomfortable. As far as I'm concerned, that's all I need to know about it.

I just don't think Pekoyama was poisoned. We haven't received any actual hints of poison. It was confirmed that Togami wasn't poisoned despite probably having scarfed as much food as Owari if not more. Owari hasn't shown any negative side effects (you can't just assume being SHSL Gymnast means an immunity to a high concentration of "poison" she must have just ingested if that were the case). That and Nidai hasn't even Eaten yet. We don't have any hints that something poisonous was used on people prior to the Murder (Hell, if you could poison people like that why do you even NEED to Knife someone?). It wasn't even hinted that poison exists on the island. let alone, in an immediately accessible manner.

Anyways, if it bothers you that I that I took Pekoyama's vagueness and Lower-body pain to mean something natural was happening down there, then I sincerely apologize.

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

Wait just one second!

orenronen posted:

You flipped the breakers back up, Big Bro Souda?! Good for you! You actually managed to be useful for once!

Uh... well, actually... I didn’t make it to the office -- that’s where the breakers are, see -- before the power came back on...

That's a Direct contradiction to what he said when he accused Pekoyama! He said he made it to the Breaker's room and couldn't see her!

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

Its possible Ryouko was SHSL Despair as well, but forgot about it. There was that weird time where she actually agreed with Junko from "deep down" after all.

Falls Down Stairs posted:

That's why I put things as "eugenics/human enhancement". Maybe I should've left out 'eugenics', I dunno. I think it's unlikely that Hope's Peak is hiding an actual breeding program to raise Übermenschen, since that'd require control over their subjects' whole lives, not just the 3 years of Japanese high school.

But what if they tried to Captain America an untalented normal person up to Super High School Level, except it went horribly wrong and he ended up losing his mind? That's the only other way I can think of that they could create 'hope' or 'talent' (which they seem to regard as basically the same thing). And like you said, Nagito is one of the few untalented normal people who've entered the school.

I have an actual objection to that theory. We saw Mukuro's student file and several photographs of her and she's clearly a distinct person.

I forget if Naegi actually saw Ikusaba's interview with the headmaster, but technically Junko could just switch the photos on their profiles and/or give Ryouko a SHSL Makeover.

I doubt that though. I don't think we're meant to really reason any of that out. Its not a trial case after all.

Joenen fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Apr 12, 2013

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

I'm a bit miffed that Togami "let" himself get killed, provided Nanami's theory is correct.

I mean, all he had to do was keep Nagito away from the Knife until the lights came back on.

That aside, Jeez, this was brutal. Not so much the actual method of execution, but being cooked alive on top of that back story is just...sad. None of the actual murderers in DR1 were really "redeemable." I guess Hanamura isn't so much either, but a guy who loves his mom like that can't be too bad a guy.

That was a fantastic first trial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joenen
Feb 15, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Leon is more justifiable (and the more sympathetic) Given that he was attacked first (And if the manga is correct when he got his tools and checked on Maizono to see if she was ok she attacked him again and was killed there.) and he did not know that killing someone results in everyone else dying as Monobear did not state that until after the first murder.

I think it was mentioned at the start actually, but I do know that Leon went back with the intent to kill her, not check on her. He claimed the self defense card, but was rebuked similarly to how Hanamura was. Neither of them had to kill anyone. Maizono didn't attack him twice. He broke her wrist with the Wooden Sword, she dropped the knife, and hid in the restroom. Instead of walking away, Leon went to his room, took his toolkit, broke in and finished Maizono off.

Joenen fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 16, 2013

• Locked thread