Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Well, Togami(?) is certainly Super High something alright. :stare:

I'm not the only one who thinks Nagito is some weird rear end hybrid of Naegi and Kirigiri am I?

Also, seems like our main character this time has more of a spine than Naegi based on how he at least tried to be more assertive during the intros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion
Holy poo poo. I was mainly reading the dialogue and skipping over the pictures until Gundam's part when I realized I had lost track of the conversation by reading too fast. I proceed to scroll up and suddenly HAMSTERS EVERYWHERE. That was absolutely amazing and totally made the update for me :allears: His offical art is pretty great too. Doesn't hurt that something about those animals reminds me of Tokyo Jungle...

Though the hamster were downright amazing, I have to admit that I think I like the mechanic more overall. He seems really chill, reasonable and I guess as an Engineering major I kinda like his talent more :shrug: Though I also really like the juxtaposition of his off-kilter (shark teeth, hair) appearance and personality.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

Sherringford posted:

I wouldn't go that far. Some of those mysteries had motives that were completely and absolutely pulled out of nowhere because the authors didn't care about them. Ellery Queen did this...more than once, but the specific example I'm referring to is one of his earliest novels(again, vague because of spoilers) where the motive is tacked on after the criminal is discovered and they might as well say "And he did it because once night in France, he watched a group of Irish tap dancers and interpreted the sound as morse code telling him to murder somebody in this very specific manner." JDC himself said he didn't really care about the criminal's motivations to commit murder and preferred to focus on the method.

I think a ridiculous motive to commit murder isn't against the spirit of the game, so to speak, in the same way untraceable poisons and secret twins. The latter ruins the mystery, while the former just sort of ruins the plot.

I mean let's look at DR1 and the Mondo murder--I know, I know. Naegi and co arrived at the correct culprit without so much as a hint of a motive. We only heard his motive after the fact. If Mondo came out and said he murdered Chihiro because they went to work out and Chiriro turned out to be one of those douchebags who puts his towel over the machine next to him for no discernible reason, it wouldn't contradict absolutely anything we were told before. What I mean is, for old-time mysteries and mysteries with similar structure, motive isn't really the focus, it's more about who/how. And Dangan Ronpa is definitely like that, as evidenced by the Mondo thing. That doesn't mean the game won't touch in motive because hey, motive is a valid clue/red herring, but at the very least the game has made clear that it's a-okay with ignoring motive up until the criminal confesses.

So it basically focuses on the physical processes behind a murder rather than the psychological ones?

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

orenronen posted:

I think Dangan Ronpa is very much interested in the psychological processes behind murders. It's just that they're sometimes not part of the mystery-puzzle aspect of the story.

Oh yeah, I'm not :downs: enough to think that; I thought the post was referring to a specific type of mysteries in general

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

HoneyBoy posted:

Well, that's two emasculating characters who are giving Hinata poo poo for not being enough of a "man." I can't imagine what they'd think of our heroine Naegi.

As someone mentioned earlier I was also getting Chihiro vibes from Kuzuryuu, if only from the way he looked; saying that he's cute and has a baby-face is more than enough explanation though, it wouldn't seem right to play the same trick twice in a row.
Well, I doubt they'd complain too much since as you mentioned he is the heroine; I think Kirigiri would be more up their alley though. :v:

Perhaps they'll start a pattern of "people who are of opposite gender than they present as" and continue into Dangan Ronpa 3!

And one day we'll get an actual transgender character and all hell will break loose.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

Walnut69 posted:

As someone who came to the LP of both games spoiled about the general course of things beforehand, I would like to say a few things. The series contains twists that are oftentimes fascinating, but the way in which they are delivered is sometimes even more fascinating than the actual twist. This makes observing the game, even knowing what will happen, seeing how they actually happen is still an immense source of excitement all on its own. At no point do I recall really feeling regretful of knowing certain things that would happen beforehand when I actually do see them happen. Mind you, there are still a lot of things I don't know, or don't know how to explain, and for those, I shall eagerly follow the LP. It was the same case with the first game, and I wasn't disappointed by the outcome (you went ahead of the LP, slowbeef, but did that completely ruin the endgame for you?).

Yeah, I don't think this is really an odd perspective. How well ideas are executed is oftentimes much more important than the idea itself I feel.

I mean, in DR1 the thread managed to figure out Trial 1 before it even started in game, yet various factors, the progression of the trial, the comic, the execution and others, made it a gripping experience none-the-less. Not to mention the Syo twist was seen by everyone and their mother yet I'd bet the majority of readers were felt anything but cheated when the game finally decided to officially reveal the fact.

Its the mark of a of story (video game, movie, or otherwise) where you know the "twists" yet still want to see how it unfolds.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

Nagito posted:

...And we will stop you if we see it. Forcibly.

I'd say the chef wasworth it just for this line from Nagito. Chalk one up for the "not actually Naegi" since that dude isn't nearly assertive enough tot say anything like that.

I love how he has the "nonchalant" portrait while talking too.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

Suspicious Dish posted:

If you didn't know already, there's a few tricks for this: you want to construct lots of garden path sentences. Center embedding is the cheap way to do this, but don't overdo it. You can already cause quite a bit of confusion with just two verbs if you construct it right.

Thanks for the links! These are really cool. I find it amusing that I interpreted the first example the "British " way by assuming fell refered to a place even though I've lived in the USA all my life.

I personally didn't find Sonia's lines to be too strange (Like the applaud line didn't immediately trigger any strange vibes from me) though this might be part of the reason a teacher asked me if English was my first language when its the only one I speak :suicide:

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

Arsenic Lupin posted:

On one level the answer is "It's a style thing, and they're always cultural rather than logical." On another level the answer is that kimono are explicitly whole-cloth garments. Kimono aren't cut to fit the body. They are cut (historically) to maximize the use of the cloth; there are slight variations in sleeve length, shoulder width, and so on, but kimono are adjusted by taking folds in the material, not by cutting the fabric. Kimono are used as a palette to display the fabric/painting/embroidery. So, the flatter the body (of either sex) the better the kimono is displayed.

End derail...

Instead of clothing being used to accentuate the body, the body is used as a stand to display the cloth? That's pretty damned interesting

It's been kinda mod approved, so if you have more factoids about traditional Japanese garb, I know I'd want to read more at the very least

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

saihate posted:

Cospa's gonna be selling a pretty neat Nagito coat in April.

More images + information here: http://www.cospa.com/detail/id/00000049321

Although the bottom edge of the coat seems kinda lacking compared to the source material. I never noticed the raggedy square shapes there until now. I'm kinda scared to look up other merch due to spoilers :(

That coat looks kinda grungy to me personally; though I wouldn't mind being able to get Naegi's gas-mask hoodie.

Also chiming in to say that Carrion brings to mind smooshed squirrels and run-over-ed raccoon rather than humans corpses. Cadavers brings to mind stiffs in a morgue

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion
Huh, I'm kinda surprised that they didn't have to break down the bathroom door and find a body there personally.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

slowbeef posted:

I agree that more updates will help.

We do know that the lodge is raised, so it's not so much an underground passage.

I still don't agree that the killer's leaving things to chance. For the floorboards theory to really work, you need a way to reasonably guarantee someone's going to be there to stab. Hell, what if you're not sure and you just end up wounding someone?

I think that the hypothetical person under the floorboards was just planning on spying on the party at first (so Gangster dude), spots Nagito doing weird stuff, and decides to mark the knife because he knows that someone else is going to going for it and he'll have a good chance of killing someone

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion

Cardinal Ximenez posted:

...and I just experienced a lot of culture shock. I really shouldn't be surprised, given population density / cultural values, but still...

Also, the presence of a motel on an island in the middle of nowhere seems to suggest some sort of artificial hyperreal construction, like Disney World or Las Vegas.

Agreed, it seems really similar to those clubs based off of Taiwanese slums I've read about with a dash of horror added to it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

2nd Battalion
I don't really like this motive because it feels way too cheap. All of Monobear's previous motives preyed upon the student's weaknesses and flaws to drive them desperate enough to murder dudes. But a common theme is that in the end its their decision to kill, and the responsibility ultimately lies with them. This just seems to completely undercut all of that by removing all sense of agency from the would be murderers.

Of course, I'm betting there's way more to this than we're being told, but as is this motive is like expecting a gourmet black forest cake and getting a bunch of candybars with spray on whipped cream instead

• Locked thread