Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Rosa Gallica posted:

But I'm not sure if that will ultimately mean anything or if it's just a consequence of having the same character designer.
I'm imagining it's that, because with the bed-head look, the fanservice girl (whatever her name ends up being) looks closer to Hagakure's hair and facial expressions/poses to me. Pretty sure it's an all-new cast, or at least I'm hoping so. Having the all-old cast in some "Dark City" mind-erasing-role-switcheroo-plus-plastic-surgery thing would be a remarkably stupid plot device if you ask me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
Having had full intros and a better chance to look at the characters, Nagito, Akane and Togami strike me as drawn to look older than the rest of the cast. Thought I was just imagining it at first, and that it wouldn't actually be the case, but now I'm starting to lean a little more toward the three of them being returning cast members (well, Fatogami's a bit of a no-brainer, but still). If Nagito isn't Naegi, he's a fuckin' plant. He knows way too much and is way too encouraging about playing along with the rabbit.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
God dammit, Aoi is fuckin' terrible at "in disguise."

"Uh, I'm kinda bored. Mind if I go swimming?"

<moments later>

"Yeah, so we're trapped on this island. No boats, no planes, no communication, no nothing."

"Can't we just swim back?"

TheGreatGildersneeze fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 3, 2013

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

Omniphile posted:

As for the Akane = Aoi theorists, how do you explain her having a completely different voice/voice actress?
Could be Aoi's VA from DR1 couldn't do a convincing "Aoi but a little older" voice. Could be she wanted to be paid more than Spike was willing to pay. Could be she didn't want to do the sequel. Could be she had other contracts and/or obligations, leaving her unavailable for hire. Could be one of a lot of reasons. Voice actors change pretty frequently in video games and animated series, most often between sequels or seasons.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

Lady Rapunzel posted:

I just realized that I couldn't think of a fan community nickname for fans of Dangan Ronpa. Do you have any suggestions?
Hey maybe you could inappropriately work the word "goons" in there, that'd be pretty original. I was thinking "Dangan Rongoons" but I'm not real good at this.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

OK, I've got a question for Oren and/or Fedule.

Was this wordplay in the original game or did you take a page from the translators of the Asterix comic books and just substitute a completely new joke for an untranslatable one?
Can we please skip the whole "questioning every potentially un-noted change to the script" thing this time around? Honestly, what does knowing one way or the other do for you?

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

Author-Man posted:

But I dunno, the wooden rod being stuffed into her kind of pushes it over the line. Not that I'm complaining, mind. This is totally in-character for Monobear and I for one am totally looking forward to seeing where they plan to go with this and also if we'll get more explanation of that drat rod (assuming it wasn't just a gag.)
He used it to put her eye out. The eye is black while he's telling her to hold still and red after that. Not much of a gag, but also not much of the sexual innuendo people seem to want to put to it.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What the hell? I'm legitimately curious about this since I work with translated material a lot as a historian and the actual process of translating things from one language to another interests me.
Fair enough. Last thread it was a relatively common multi-page derail just about every time orenronen may or may not have taken some artistic/cultural liberty with a translation and didn't bother to footnote it, usually starting with "hey was that in the original script?" and ending with "you should have used THIS word!" "no, THIS word!" It got irritating, to say the very least.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

SingerOfW posted:

Sorry for interrupting DR0 discussion, but I just wanted to post something as a celebration of our new protagonist's birthday
Why the hell are you celebrating a video game character's birthday?

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

CrashScreen posted:

Please don't do this. We don't need to apply Japanese words like the anime fan communities do. "Shut-in" more than does the job, and this should honestly not even be something of value worth debating. You might as well start using the Japanese word for chair because the chairs in the game were designed by Japanese artists.
Seriously. These derails are right up there with "was that REALLY the original wording or did you choose to change this little insignificant detail?" on the "dumb as gently caress" scale.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

Trasson posted:

Considering almost every time if not all the time the random references were there in the source material, I'm not quite sure why everyone persists in asking a question along these lines every time it comes up.
You know how there's that one guy every nerd group has who knows all the stupid little changes from the original Japanese version of [insert video game/movie/anime/street sign here] and doesn't hesitate to let everyone know that he knows all these "inferior English" translation inconsistencies that even other nerds couldn't give any less of a gently caress about because they're all Japanese vs. English pop culture references and "that guy" is the only one who would even understand the original references thanks to his giant, obsessive nerd-boner for Japan?

Gotta be half of them at least.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

Antivehicular posted:

It's not just you -- I'm pretty disturbed by Junko's treatment of Ryouko, and in general Ryouko makes me really sad. (I considered making an effortpost about how sad it was that her entire life is built around being a high-school student, and yet her neurological problems make her incapable of conscious learning.) I assume it's intentional, though, since Junko is well-established as a psychotic antagonist.
I don't know; assuming Enoshima treating Ryouko in a psychotic manner to be intentionally disturbing in a horror/suspense story, a genre which often has psychotic or supernaturally evil villains and events which both play at the reader's fears and disturb the reader, is a pretty wild leap of logic.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

Ratoslov posted:

It is definitely a Wuxia thing. In a lot of kung-fu stories, your kung-fu style is a direct extension of your soul, your philosophy of life, and whatever skills you hold. So even if two people are trained in the same art by the same teacher, you can totally tell the difference between one student being a buddhist saint or a cynical legalist, or one guy being a poet and the other a fisherman, just by watching them fight.
It's super easy if you watch the right kung-fu movies. The poet will fight with a giant calligraphy brush and the fisherman will make kicking some huge, muscle-bound, jerk's rear end with a fishing pole look like a total accident.

God drat I love bad kung-fu movies

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

Six Of Spades posted:

Daggers 8. Features a guy who runs a noodle store and proceeds to trash everyone with oversized chopsticks. It was my dad's favourite kung-fu movie, and now it's mine too!
Here, sit back, relax, and watch "Taoism Drunkard," a.k.a. "Drunken Wu-Tang." Giant, groin-munching, watermelon robots, a villain that can't really decide what his name is (Old Devil, or Master Ruthless), and a hilariously convoluted plot. It also has a guy called "Porcupine Back," who seriously wears a suit which has nails all over his back and blades on his elbows and knees. His special attack is to try to fall on you. In keeping with the oversized weapons theme, the protagonist's granny fights off Old Devil with a tobacco pipe the size of Kansas in one scene.

It's my all-time favorite bad kung-fu movie. This audio clip from the English dub is my current text message received sound. And this audio clip features the worst comeback to a death threat in history.

TheGreatGildersneeze fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 28, 2013

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

Ratoslov posted:

Yeah, but more subtle wuxia stuff will have the same ideas, but implemented differently. In the classier kind of Wuxia story, the stereotypical Poet-turned-warrior will favor the jian, which is the favored weapon of gentlemen and scholars and whose fencing style is often compared to calligraphy. He'll also favor dramatic swooping strikes and maybe use a swooning movement to dodge, and will go for elaborate fancy moves. A fisherman will instead prefer a spear or Dao, prefer rapid thrusts and linear movements, and in general fight simply and pragmatically.
I was kind of being a smart rear end with that post.

Jeek posted:

Why have I never seen this movie despite living in Hong Kong :negative:
Some cruel twist of fate, to be sure, but I'm here to help! :D

And regardless of where anyone lives, you should all sit down and watch that movie. It's delightfully insane. Also, I forgot about the part where Granny follows up Giant Pipe-Fu with a sword which would give Cloud Strife grounds to crack wise about "compensating for something."

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

HelloWinter posted:

A bit late for contributing, but here we go anyway:

Seriously. The main reason it was such a heated debate in the first game's thread wasn't so much the possibility, but the rather disturbing obsession with the concept that some people in the thread had. At this point we haven't even been given any kind of actual hint whatsoever, and that same obsession is already starting to creep on in there.

Did any of you weirdos going on about "doesn't want to swim, eeeeeeh? :crossarms:" ever think about more mundane reasons, like "aquaphobia?"

wikipedia posted:

People suffer aquaphobia in many ways and may experience it even though they realize the water in an ocean, a river, or even a bathtub poses no imminent threat. They may avoid such activities as boating and swimming, or they may avoid swimming in the deep ocean despite having mastered basic swimming skills.[3] This anxiety commonly extends to getting wet or splashed with water when it is unexpected, or being pushed or thrown into a body of water.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

Zaxoran posted:

A lot of people seem to think that this is solid proof that Togami lost his memory, but then again maybe he doesn't mean what we think he means when he says this line. Perhaps he still knows Monobear, but his real question is who is the person controlling Monobear, which makes sense since he saw Monobear's original master die with his own eyes. As to why he worded it so awkwardly so that you can't tell if he's talking about the puppet or the mastermind, I'm pretty sure that's just Dangan Ronpa loving with us again.
Or, if you apply any sort of actual logic instead of ridiculous theories, he's already seen Usami (who looks like a toy stuffed rabbit) and now wants to know who the new teddy-bear thing is.

Tombolo posted:

This would be a fine logic to apply in real life. I would like to remind you, however, that this is a anime-heavy, fanservicey visual novel about a bunch of over-the-top high schoolers being coerced to murder each other by a robotic teddy bear. Aquaphobia may be mundane in reality, but this is fiction, and not the kind of fiction where something like that is likely to occur. It is, however, the kind of fiction where crossdressing isn't out of the question! I could be wrong and Kuzuryuu is just too cool to join the group, but I don't imagine there's a deep reason behind the refusal other than that or something to hide physically.
I wish I had something more constructive to say in response to this, but I don't. You're a weirdo if your response to "hey there could be a much simpler reason for not wanting to swim: being afraid of water" is "nope. Crossdresser. That, or being too cool. But probably crossdresser."

Edit: \/\/\/Maybe because this glorious leap of logic was in response to a post I made and I felt the need to rebut? I responded fairly harshly, I admit, but holy poo poo, that leap of logic is a) weird and b) stupid beyond belief.

TheGreatGildersneeze fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 31, 2013

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
I'm going to put forth this one last bit because I found this incredibly offensive, then I'm dropping this poo poo entirely until there's a reason (i.e., the character is revealed to be a crossdresser and I say "hey, y'all were right."). I am not "grossed out" by the concept of a crossdresser. Being grossed out by gender/sexual identity concepts is a pretty lovely way to think, to be honest, and I'd appreciate if you stopped trying to turn my distaste at your obsession with a pet theory into "oh you think crossdressers are gross!"

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

Jeek posted:

I assume Junko was saying that the kanji for "virginity" is similar to that of Dong Zhou and then went off a tangent on other characters in the Romance of Three Kingdoms? In that case, the English translation can probably do something similar with Virgil.
...or "Dong Zhou." I can think of at least two dozen crude puns about virginity and Dong Zhou dong zoos.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

SingerOfW posted:

So basically, it would've been the same as misspelling "Fire" as "Fyre" and Hanamura saying that it's spelled with an I? Or is that mistake not common enough to match the original joke?
No, because that mistake isn't using an entirely incorrect word which sounds like the original but ends up making a kind of dirty pun. That's not even close.

It's more like when retards say "for all intensive purposes" instead of "for all intents and purposes," only if "for all intensive purposes" made the phrase mean "for all a lot of blowjobs." And then a perverted teenage master chef subtly calls you out on unintentionally offering everyone a lot of blowjobs.

Basically, it doesn't happen very much in English. The joke is lost in translation. Now it's horribly unfunny because it had to be explained to death. This may be why orenronen seems to not want to go back and explain every last little barely translateable joke/pun translation decision. It makes things less funny.

TheGreatGildersneeze fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 7, 2013

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

Carlioo posted:

Something tells me that it's the second option, considering how he has acted so far in the game. I mean, I know this is Dangan Ronpa/anime and all, but running a restaurant would probably be too much for a high school student.
But managing major branches of an international financial conglomerate as well as several of your own startups isn't?

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

Poulpe posted:

There's going to be a murder sooon! I'm so stoked! :dance:

I'm excited to have a stupid little theory in the back of my head shattered.
Can do: All that poo poo is there to suggest that the people drawn aren't standing still, a technique commonly employed by thousands of comic book and cartoon artists around the world in countless pieces of artwork depicting people doing poo poo. I've seen theories that are kind of reaching in this thread. Yours could probably graze Pluto. At least you were honest about it being stupid.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

V!ntar posted:

This might have been answered before in the thread (I'm pretty new to this one :v:), but what the hell is up with Ibuki's leg in the official art?

Nothing? She's wearing color-mismatched thigh-high tights, one cyan, one magenta (just like the dyed streaks in her hair, now that I look at it). They have holes in them because they're cool and punk rock.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
Oh. Well in that case, clearly it's a male survivor from the last game who is wearing some poor girl's skin as a suit as the ultimate cross-dresser who secretly survived their execution through means unknown and now has teamed up with Alter Ego to create a VR simulation of a hope-filled field trip to combat the despair but will be killed by his own creation! Why do you think :airquote: Ibuki :airquote: talks in the third person? Yeah, that's right. Sure, you're calling it a stupid theory backed up by absolute bullshit I just made up right this very second now, but I'm sure I'll be vindicated in the end!

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

RefinedUndefined posted:

Besides, who would have enough free time and patience to go through the entire thread to find posts that awful.
In the DR1 thread, someone went through, found, and re-posted every single piece of fan-art, as well as categorizing it into on-site vs. off-site. I think they also added every single piece of official art as well as pictures of game-related merchandise. Don't underestimate nerds, I guess.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
I know this is a big thread, but would you be a lamb and at least read the last page of the thread before mashing "reply?"

Edit: or at the very least, the three replies after the post you were replying to?

TheGreatGildersneeze fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 9, 2013

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
Either the scar I missed shows up through the first hole in the blue one, or those are some REALLY specifically patterned tights.

Edit: "And for all you girls who suffered massive trauma or had some surgery down the outside of your left leg, try these!"

TheGreatGildersneeze fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 9, 2013

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

Poulpe posted:

Yes, okay, precisely, I get that, and while I'm not going back on the theory being completely stupid, for the sake of argument, why would they leave six people motionless/unsurrounded? It would have been trivial to illustrate some photographs or film blowing around Mahiru Koizumi, but they chose not to, while Nagito in particular really didn't.. need the motion blur. At all.
Counting what's under the gangster's hat, eight of our characters have spiky hair! It would have been trivial to give them relatively mundane haircuts like the rest of the characters, but they chose not to. I theorize that those eight will be killers/killed and the other seven will make it out alive! <--- Consider how utterly stupid that sounds. Realize it's your groundbreaking "motion blur" theory, just picking another arbitrary feature of the character portraits.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah, I wonder how Nagito did that stick thing without Kuzuuryu being there? Did he remove a stick before the drawing? Or is that going to be an important thing later on?
Probably just removed one stick from the equation. How would he know that Kuzuuryu wouldn't show up to breakfast?

What's way more interesting is that he made the lots because he figured there wouldn't be a volunteer to clean up a house he supposedly didn't know they were going to use for a party he supposedly didn't know was going to happen. Unless, of course, the story's implying Nagito figured there would be a situation of any kind sometime in the future where they'd have no willing volunteers.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

CrashScreen posted:

^^^ Keep in mind now that it's open to the public it'll be drawing the wrong sort of crowds too. There's also all the fanbases on Tumblr, so if a character is exceptionally outstanding later they'll probably get voted in now, regardless of how this thread feels. I won't doubt that there'll be eccentric fans who'll vote multiple times for their character too.

vvv I really wouldn't be surprised.
All of this is a reasonable risk to avoid 30% of this thread being posts consisting of nothing but "anime and other anime! :syoon:"

orenronen posted:

おはいただきますよう
Let's see, here. "Take... the... hint... and... stop... asking... about..."

...oren! That's not very nice at all! :mad:

TheGreatGildersneeze fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 11, 2013

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
Like I said before, the only thing that hints at any kind of a plot is that Nagito made the lots supposedly before Togami revealed the plan and the need to clean the house arose. It's easily explained by him having the foresight (note: not foreknowledge) to figure that a bunch of teenagers thrown together on an island might have to take care of some moderately disagreeable task that no one wants to do and drawing lots is the fairest way to go about picking the person(s) who will be responsible. Luckily (ho ho) for him, this very sort of thing came up and everyone present agreed to the idea.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
Sweet crackers, the game is just beating us over the head with "It's the same Togami" suggestions in this free-time.

Edit: note to self. If you answer a phone call mid-post, refresh before posting to see if what you're saying has been posted already. :v:

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
Security camera network notwithstanding, there's a big problem with faking a murder/death if the intent is to work against Monobear from behind the scenes. To truly fake a murder and be presumed dead, especially if you're working with an accomplice to set up the false murder, someone's going to have to take the fall and be executed unless the "victim" outs him/herself before the trial is over. That would defeat the whole purpose of the plan unless the information/goal/whatever you're after can be found in the brief amount of time Monobear/Junko allowed for investigation of the murder pre-trial. That, or your accomplice has to be willing to die for the cause of stopping Monobear, which seems relatively unlikely from a bunch of high school kids.

Silly theorizing: I also wonder if, given a faked murder for which there is no actual correct culprit to nail yet one is chosen at trial, would Monobear call that an incorrect answer and execute everyone? It'd cut his despair game quite short but, given that we're in a sequel, it doesn't seem that Monobear's terribly short on participants for a round three, as it were.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

Waffleman_ posted:

Alright, how the gently caress can this be relevant?
Possibly because she claimed her foot catching on the edge of the carpet caused her to trip when she wasn't standing near the edge of the carpet at all, according to the "just before the blackout" photos. I'm assuming her and anyone else who gives a claimed location prior to the lights going out will be important given that they are likely to be compared with the evidence of their actual photographed positions.

The one other thing I haven't noticed anyone mention (apologies if I missed it) is that the knife is pretty clearly a kitchen knife and not (for lack of a better term here) a combat knife. It has a wooden handle with the little hole at the base of the hilt for hanging on a hook instead of a grip more typical of a knife intended for weapon use.

Edit: thinking about it, I can't really come up with sound logical reasoning for Nagito to have been a secret co-planner of the party even with him just happening to have the lots made up for cleaning duty; I'm scratching that idea.

TheGreatGildersneeze fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 27, 2013

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

RefinedUndefined posted:

I've actually mentioned a possible origin for the knife, the kitchen of the resturant that is in the hotel. It is, after all, the only other place that we know off that has kitchen knives, besides the supermarket, possibly.
I mentioned a few pages ago that the knife is clearly a kitchen knife and not a combat or utility knife. It has the typical wooden hilt with a hole drilled through the base usually used for hanging on a hook (or running a loop of string/leather/whatever through for the same purpose) instead of the grips more common to combat knives. Given that the lodge's kitchen knife count was accurate according to the manifest Togami found, the hotel does seem a likely place.

I wouldn't have figured on a multiple-location investigation right off the bat; usually even sequels have the first scenario as a "gimmie" style pseudo-tutorial to accommodate people who didn't play the first game, but perhaps Spike was figuring on more veterans than new players.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

Krinkle posted:

I'm glad it's not a drainage grate, I mean for that to be the answer to the murder from under the floorboards they'd just have to be draining their loose meat juices into the dirt under the cabin. That'd have to be a health code violation or at least extremely nasty.
Have you ever smelled a dirty grease trap? It's horrid. The trap at a restaurant I used to work for got clogged and backed up once. The place had to close for a couple days until someone could get out to fix it, not that anyone would have come eat thanks to the smell. "Extremely nasty" would be the understatement of the year were they just dumping it on the ground underneath. The whole area would smell like a cross between poo poo and rotting roadkill.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
Please, everyone knows that Monobear is the avenging angel of Santa Claus, here to rid the world of the Easter Bunny at the request of the Loch Ness Monster. The children are actually The Patriots (The PATRIOTS?!), the "traitor" is Solid Brady, and they're being virtual reality trained to win the World Series despite being AI versions of dead president football players. It's so obvious!

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

Brannock posted:

Oh, one more thing - I think Nagito knows who did it, or at least has a healthy suspicion. He might be figuring that, well, if there's already a murder, maybe it's better to just have the murderer win the game instead of keeping on forcing friends to kill each other. He was acting very strangely after we inspected the storage room and suddenly had to go brood and calm down.
I think it's more likely he's trying to leave the culprit enough rope to hang him/herself.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

Exercu posted:

Hm, yeah, if you want to keep with a strict blade metaphor, it's going to be hard to find something that isn't groan-worthy.
The only thing I can even think of would be the tried and true line used by "bad cops" in good cop/bad cop movie interrogation room scenes.

"CUT THE BULLSHIT, [suspect]!" >slams fists into desk and looks menacing<

It'd be way out of character for our hero. The current translation works fine even with the bad pun, and it's funny to imagine someone saying something so goofy anyway. It's like a kid trying to be a big shot lawyer (probably because he technically is trying to emulate a lawyer/investigator), but he's only seen those on TV dramas or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001

Justin_Brett posted:

Unless the glow can go through the table-cloth, doubtful. It is just packing tape.

orenronen posted:

Is this... packing tape?

It looks like... there’s paint all over it, too.
When I look at it under the table, where the light is dim, it seems to be faintly luminous...

...Is this glow-in-the-dark paint?

The knife had been painted with glow-in-the-dark paint, and the packing tape (presumably) had some from the handle stick to it when the knife was pulled free of the tape.

• Locked thread