Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So, Nagito is basically a reverse Enoshima?

I wonder if that means there's a SHSL Hope group that's just as insane as SHSL Despair.

If that's the case, it would explain why there are two mascots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

orenronen posted:

Oh? Are you saying it's okay to defend a murderer? Do you think murder is ever justified?

We're getting a lecture on humanity from a girl who was killing literally every animal she saw as soon as she stepped on the island?

orenronen posted:

Does my cuteness change your entire viewpoint on life, making living without me an unbearable burden on your body?

And Monobear continues to be aware of the thread.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Apr 28, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Going through this update again, I found this line:

orenronen posted:

You? “Obliterate”? One of those things?! How the hell’d you pull that off?!

That story is better told in a different game mode, but the upshot of it all is, the bridge gate is now open!

I'm now hoping there's actually an alternate game mode where Usami decides she's had enough of Monobear's crap and gives him the boot or something.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I envision it as Metal Gear Usami: Revengeance.

"Why won't you accept fwiendship!?"

"Monobeasts, son."

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 29, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I can't help but imagine Enoshima mailing these out to her viewers in the first game.

orenronen posted:

He’s Japan’s representative serial killer! All us enthusiasts love him! Even those who don’t follow the scene surely at least know the name.
Genocider Syo is a splendid serial killer! The hope of the young generation, worthy of great praise!

Well, that's pretty horrifying.

It would explain why no one seems to give a crap about tying Fukawa up or arresting her, though.

Miss Kalle posted:

So is Monobear mentioning "those guys" implying that the island was constructed through SHSL Despair, or am I wildly off base with that assumption?

That was the impression that I got. Besides, Monobear was originally operated by a member of SHSL Despair. Maybe other people in the group have their own Monobears.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

HelloWinter posted:

Uhh, please don't google it, silly.

That goes for TVTropes, too. They have two pages for this game.

One following this thread, and another with spoilers for the whole game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, provided the main game is fun enough, I suppose I wouldn't mind especially bad mini-games, though it might lessen my enjoyment overall.

For example, I found Final Fantasy X to be pretty fun even though I hated all of the mini-games (aside from Blitzball, which I had to come around to eventually). In contrast, Final Fantasy IX is one of my favorite games ever and had a rather addicting Chocobo mini-game that would reward you with all kinds of great equipment and such.

I agree with the person who posted a while back, though. Chrono Trigger DS sucked in that regard.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Apollo Justice posted:

Based on their fight and her overall parts in the story thus far, she oscillates between kinda lazy and laid-back and very intense and reckless. Nidai, while certainly not what I'd call level headed, is still seemingly a lot more grounded than she is currently. However she has a lot of potential, as he himself notes (which I believe to translate to her character as well as physical capabilities). We don't have that much to work with at the moment it's true, but that's just how I feel based on what we have seen so far. I don't claim it to be the truth, just a hunch or gut feeling.

Makes the most sense, really. The mentor surviving until the end instead of the pupil would be a massive subversion of usual storytelling.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It also helped that Celes went suspiciously silent for a long period of time once they started closing in on the truth.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

orenronen posted:

Will you do me a favor and stop talking back like an equal? Know your place, trash-girl.

Hiii! I...I'm sorry!

Calling it now: Mikan is going to snap from one of these comments and kill Hiyoko. Or she's going to end up as a suspect, at least. There's no way that this much verbal abuse is just filler text.

orenronen posted:

Anyway... You should all go gathering Hope Shards now...

Seriously, why is no one even considering this? I don't think Monobear invalidated Monomi's rules, did he?

orenronen posted:

For heaven's sake... First Kuzuryuu and now him too? You men need to get a hold of yourselves!

And what is it with Mahiru and being cranky at men?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

i300 posted:

How could anyone hate a face this cute/evil?

Looking closer at that picture, I'm reminded of someone.

I can't help but note a lot of eerie similarities between the two of them now that I think about it.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 17, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm not sure if I said this already, but Ibuki really reminds me of Roxie from Pokemon.

Similar clothing colors and they're both musicians.

orenronen posted:

What does he like and dislike? What are his goals? How does he approach a problem? What angers him? One takes one’s own experience as a standard upon which one bases their expectations of others... When another subverts your expectations... They subvert you. A man with such qualities is a fearsome presence indeed.

I think this guy might be the best character in the game so far.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Somehow, I get the feeling that Komaeda is going to end up playing that game in an attempt to convince people to kill him.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ElTipejoLoco posted:

It just seems odd that whereas other games and/or game products were referenced via dialogue or the gift items from the vending machines, they straight up have Monobear claim to have developed a sequel to this particular game series.

Maybe Monobear is actually a SHSL Video Game Developer in his spare time?

orenronen posted:

I think games with, like, a professor who solves puzzles or where you collect cute monsters are much better!

This is a reference to Prof. Layton and Pokemon, right? Admittedly, the latter reference could refer to any monster raising game.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 2, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So, the game ends with them realizing that they're video game characters made to suffer for the amusement of others, thus instilling them with the greatest despair ever known?

Maybe that's the Super Terrible Whatever That Thing Was Called that Enoshima mentioned in the first game: awareness of the fourth wall!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I can't decide whether Pekoyama or Nanami is this game's Kirigiri. Both have that sort of impassive stare, but so far Nanami seems like she's more in the know about a lot of things.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think they said something about feeding him earlier in the day, actually.

Edit: They did.

orenronen posted:

We should at least bring him food and water. We don’t want him dying of starvation...

I...I know that...

Assuming Souda wasn't just trying to placate everyone, chances are that they did go to feed him. Besides, he and Nidai would likely be found to be the culprits if he did die, so that wouldn't be of any help to them.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 3, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There's a farm in this game, though, so that's not too weird. We can just assume the Monobeasts went there to terrorize the chickens or something.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 4, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Wow, Dangan Ronpa is not only a game, but a love letter to voice actors it seems.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

DaveWoo posted:

I do wonder how much we're supposed to be reading into Komeada's dialogue here. Is it just Komeada being generally weird and creepy, or could he actually have a thing for Hinata?

I'm pretty sure he's hopesexual for all of them, though probably especially so for Hinata, since he was the one who turned the first trial around.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

tentawesome posted:

Also jesus Komoeada is a creeper. I'm hoping they let him off his leash soon so he can continue to gently caress poo poo up, although presumably he'll be allowed to participate in the next trial.

I get the feeling the part of the trial is going to be spent trying to disprove some BS he spouts off trying to help the killer just to test which side is better, or something silly like that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

QueerPope posted:

I wonder if the arcade game is anything like the videos from DR1? Does it detect who you are and play differently to target you? Or is it a universally disturbing motive? I really hope Hinata caves in so we can sate my curiosity.

Hopefully we get to see it from different people's POV if it does change. It always bothered me that we never found out what was on those 13 other video tapes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

miscellaneous14 posted:

Ah geez, I was looking up bits from the soundtrack of DR1 to show someone, and one of the related videos is a massive DR2 spoiler. As orenroren mentioned this page, watch out when looking at any videos of either games on YouTube.

Yeah, there a video of the DR2 Executions with a picture of one of the students who gets executed.

And the video uploader isn't going to change the picture on it from all indication.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Pekoyama reminds me of Motoko from Love Hina more than any video game character, honestly, sans the hatred for men.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, this school is pretty weird. I mean, I suppose that recruiting a SHSL Gamer isn't a bad idea if they go into game designing or something, but how on Earth are some of these titles even related to school?

I mean, this game mostly avoids a lot of the weird things if you assume that Togami and Sonia were accepted due to the prestige of their families (or influence in Kuzuryuu's case), but unless this school has a kendo club, I'm not really quite sure how SHSL Swordswoman is any kind of field of study.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

CandyCrazy posted:

I take it you aren't reading DR0? Because it establishes that Hope's Peak is essentially run by scientists.

Well, crap; I didn't even pay attention to anything under the updates. I'll have to retract those comments, then, until I catch up on this.

That whole scientist bit sounds remarkably like Hinata, though. I wonder if he has any ties.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 8, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Alberenza posted:

I don't think the cast of Dangan Ronpa, 1 or 2, are meant to be particularly deep. I think the strongest aspect of the games are their characters, but that's only because they blatantly appeal to over the top anime stereotypes.

I'm pretty sure that Togami, Kyouko, and Sakura had backstories that didn't detract from their characters at all.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Not to mention that the characters already have seen him kill that chef kid, so they know he's not kidding around at this point.

Tomn posted:

Just for a moment, actually picture in your mind's eye an episode of Scooby Doo where Scrappy went around kicking people in the balls. I for one find it hard not to giggle.

Doesn't that actually happen in the live action Scooby Doo movie?

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 9, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Six Of Spades posted:

If it's not super disruptive, I wanted to ask the thread about mystery storylines in video games (since I'm sure I've seen some big mystery fans in the thread, and because asking in the DR general one may well result in Spoilertown).

Do you think Dangan Ronpa 1/2 handle their mystery elements well? While I love the mystery genre, I'm often a huge idiot and can't solve mysteries ahead of time unless they're well foreshadowed. Still, I figured the way the mysteries in DR1 were handled well, especially the locked-room mystery in Case 4. I think it was Case 4 - the one with 3 people admitting to it at the same time.

But I also wonder how these mysteries are written. There's obviously a method for writing rational, solvable mysteries in novels, but often what works in prose writing (or even film writing) doesn't work the same way for video games.

That was Case 4, yes.

And I dare say that Dangan Ronpa was pretty great at hiding the murderer...for some cases.

I know it was the first case, but how did every character (that wasn't Kirigiri) not immediately know who the killer was from the 11037 message?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

CaptainJingles posted:

That's an interesting theory, but wouldn't it be out of character for Monobear? Has he ever done a motive that was specifically meant for one person?

Turning Sakura into a mole counts, doesn't it? It's not out of character for Monobear to single one person out so that the group turns against them.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Medieval Medic posted:

A person murdered, using a bat, after going through a period of grief? Obviously the culprit is Shonen Bat.

It's a shame that Yamada isn't around to make that reference.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kal-L posted:

There may be the possibility that Hinata was playing from a previously saved game?

But it's an arcade game. Those don't have save states to my recollection.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Poor Gundam he clearly wanted to hang out with Hinata and Souda. Also liking that Saionji has a good chance of winning the poll as I want to find out more about her.

I can't help but wonder if he became that wildly eccentric to entertain himself because he has no friends. :smith:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Athar1007 posted:

To me, Mahiru is one of the more interesting characters in the game, because - well, what's her story?

More than that, she's fairly normal compared to everyone else in the game.

I mean her only quirk is not having a quirk. Unless you count that getting occasional irritated with men thing, but even that tends to happen not all that often.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

In retrospect, Souda isn't all that strange either. He's the most normal character aside from Mahiru and that babyface mafia kid.

Come to think of it, I don't think we've seen much if any of their free time events.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

All of this discussion is making me start to think this series is going to be a series of Batman Gambits by Enoshima and/or Ikusaba.

Like, the Ikusaba in DR1 wasn't really Ikusaba, but some kind of stand-in, and she's controlling Monobear in this game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

orenronen posted:

That's a very groovy article you have there, Hinata-san.

orenronen posted:

After spending some more time not understanding what Sonia was saying, I returned to my room.

I'm starting to like Sonia a lot more. :allears:

orenronen posted:

Spain-zaka is something Hinata probably does know about, at least if he's from the Tokyo area. It's a short slope near Shibuya station famous for its trendy shops and restaurants. It was there back in 1988 and it's still a popular teen spot today.

Spain-zaka is what "Spain Hill" from The World Ends With You is based on, right?

And it's nice of Souda to include us in the perversion beach-going. Maybe he's just as terrible as that chef not such a bad guy after all.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

What about both?

...Maybe even at the same time?

I can't see anyone finding fanservice in death.

Except Enoshima, of course.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

orenronen posted:

Seibu Keisatsu is a different matter. Here's one of the opening sequences in all of its glory. If you click only one link in this post, choose this one.

So, it's the Japanese version of the A-Team?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mahiru is dead and Nanami is now fanservice. Things are getting confusing! :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Wait a second. Before she died, she was stressing out about something, right? And was apparently killed by a baseball bat to the head?

Wrap it up, Dangan Ronpailures, I've cracked this case wide open. :ms:

Speaking of anime, I can't help but wonder if someone possibly being KiraKira is going to lead to a Death Note reference.

• Locked thread