Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I've unfortunately read some spoilers about the characters, but their amazing designs made up for it. So anime.

Nth wish that the Man of Muscle Mystery survives.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone who said that this was getting too cartoonish and self-induldgent seems to have been right. Not to sound (too) whiny, but I'm pretty sure every student in DR was introduced in a third of the linespace Gundam here got. Or maybe I just don't like his gimmick.

Souda is cool though. His design is great, because it contrasts with and thus emphasises his chillness. We already have many intensely emotional characters, so a chill blue-collar type is refreshing.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 16, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

orenronen posted:

Official Art

Chiaki Nanami: Super High-school Level Gamer

Another coolly chill character. And someone who represents my demographic. :spergin:

orenronen posted:

Peko Pekoyama: Super High-school Level Swordswoman

And speaking of :downs:, you'd think a Super High-school Level Swordswoman would have a better stance. Or maybe she subscribes to the Jojo school of poses.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Rodyle posted:

It's still impossible for me to see Peko as anything other than Yu Narukami in drag.

:stare:

I knew she looked familiar somehow. And now I can never not see it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Your accent really ruins my mental image of you, Orenronen.

I've studied translation from my native language to English and back, and I can only say I have only the uttermost respect for someone who is able to translate between two foreign languages.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I really hope you're talking about Yu. During one competition he puts on braids and glasses and... yeah

It's a fusion. :haw:

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 25, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Bellmaker posted:

Well Hanamura can go straight to hell, he's worse than Yamada :catstare:

On the other hand, Hanamura's into actual girls and not cartoon children. I'd say he's just a typical teenager.

E: Oh god, his most important person is his mom. I love this guy.

Bellmaker posted:

Sonia is gonna be the more interesting one, the question is if she's playing it straight by being so naive/lonely or if she is running a long con.

I think Sonia is literally playing a con. She even has the exact same head-tilt as Celes, I think, so she could conceivably be a Super High-school Level Con Artist. Though faking royal pedigree has got to be difficult.

E: Which is exactly why she's a Super High-school Level Con Artist.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 26, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Patware posted:

Yeah, people need to remember that guys like Hanamaru not only exist but are pretty common out there in the world. In general, goons gettin' mad about sex being mentioned at all is pretty distressingly par for the course.

I'd go a step further and say that goons are projecting their own awkward teenage selves onto Hanamaru. They immediately recognised Hanamaru as one them, didn't they?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 26, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

orenronen posted:

The anties. I'm squashing the anties.

orenronen posted:

Feh. Coward.

W...Where did that come from?! This... this is no “little girl”.

Saionji seems to be shaping up to be a great character for two reasons. First, they aren't even hiding her psycho side. I mean, even with Fukawa (and maybe some DR2 characters :tinfoil:) you had the pretence of normalcy. Here they seem to be going, "she crazy man, just deal with it".

That's why I'm going to guess that she is the Syo of DR2: amusingly psychotic, but too obvious about it to actually murder anyone.

Secondly, she's crazy in a very distinctive manner instead of just rehashing Syo.

orenronen posted:

...This conversation is over. Do you intend to stand there much longer?

Move your body...! That is what you thin people do, isn't it?

I've come to the conclusion that anyone who seems more like Togami than Togami himself must be may be an imposter.

edit: the coffee is to keep him awake in case Syo comes at night (:tinfoil:). I guess that's another strike for the "real Togami" argument.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 29, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Powerfrog posted:

I'm sorry if I've skipped something obvious but why is everyone insisting that Fatgami is THE Togami from the first game?

I feel that it's much more likely that it's another family member with the same name or a complete imposter claiming to be Togami.

Do we have any idea the time between the games yet? It could be 100's of years.

Well, Fatogami looks like him, speaks like him, and acts like him. Also, Genocider Syo only likes thin men, which would explain why Togami is all fatted up.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CrushedB posted:

I've been playing too much X-COM and you've given me a horrible mental image now, thanks.

I had to google it, and I have to say thanks a lot. Christ.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Renzuko posted:

Hm...guy's forgive my poor memory, but have we seen the asura dude who's under chiaki yet?

That's Kenichiro, Sakura Oogami's boyfriend. He is only mentioned during her free time events, and his picture can be found in the artbook. This is from the original DR LP, which is still active:

orenronen posted:

And finally, the last remaining pin-up picture from the official artbook, Kenichiro.

There's actually one more official picture of him, on the back of one of the comics anthologies. The cover was drawn by Rui Komatsuzaki, who (for those who can't remember) is the character designer and drew all the other official art for the game.

I can understand if you missed him, since was posted after the main LP ended.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Dec 30, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

MonsterEnvy posted:

They made a spoiler free Dangen Ronpa 2 character page.

That would imply that visiting TvTropes is worthwhile, unless you for some reason want a list of fetishes the characters match.

I got spoiled *edit by slowbeef*

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 31, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Obviously by eating.

"Do it to Julia!"

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
So this is the second time Togami has some plot-revelant information that he doesn't share concerning something named after a fictional creature. He even uses the same phrasing as when he talked about Fenrir. It seems to be intentional, except earlier he was interrupted instead of just refusing to talk.

orenronen posted:

Addendum

Don't talk to me.
Swimming in the ocean is... even more worthless than talking to you.
I can't be bothered with any of this...

Crossdresser crossdresser crossdresser

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 3, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I actually also think it's too obvious to actually happen. Kuzuryuu can just as easily be an insecure boy trying to live up to the idea of an ultra-masculine gangster. But then again, that's also a bit obvious, because even while discounting the idea of Kuzuryuu being a crossdresser, he is a rather obvious reflection of Chihiro, and even more obviously of Mondo: he's trying to fit into a rigid standard of behaviour, and reacting violently when the resultant image is threatened. It doesn't really matter if he is a she or not.

Everyone has already made the Togami connection, but I think he's more of a reflection of Mondo (and by extension, Chihiro). Togami is naturally arrogant, but Kuzuryuu is always compensating for something, and his character interactions consist of anger and dismissal. Going further with this, I think the most natural way for him to develop as a character is the primrose path of bromance.

Then again, he has been barely introduced, so this can probably be safely ignored.

E:

Skunkrocker posted:

The big breasted athelete is a moronic whore.

That's some rather unfortunate phrasing. You probably mean that she is sexualised/objectified constantly, like Asahina turned up to 11.

E2: At least I hope so.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 3, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SectumSempra posted:

It looks like cross dressing sadly because if they wanted a baby face they'd have the same effect without blushing with every single sentence.

If you look closely, you'll notice that he doesn't blush every sentence. The blush is, in fact, permanent.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

orenronen posted:

Oy... What's up with this puppet theater...?

I have a feeling that this statement is much more accurate than it seems. This could all be some carefully constructed theatre by the Despair group the mastermind.

And I think that's it for Owari being Asahina. Way too badass to be her.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 6, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Togami, becuase Togami, and Sonia, because she suddenly broke character in an amazing manner.

I think it'd be best to refrain from declaring someone "the best character" because the title holder keeps changing with every update. :allears:

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 21, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

slowbeef posted:

Absolutely nothing and I really only brought it up to say, "If you're gonna have a theory, back it up with some content from the thread rather than just gut feelings or what you think the authors might do. Like this..."

Honestly, my opinion is tainted by the first "crossdresser" post, so now it's kinda all I can see. Frankly, I hope it's not the case and yes, there's certainly other ways to explain his behavior. The babyface callout seemed like a telling detail, but who really knows.

Sorry. :negative: It's really embarassing in retrospect. I'm also sorry for the huge derail it caused. But in my defense, I wasn't the first to guess if you were talking about the "crossdresser crossdresser crossdresser" thing, and I said it at least semi-jokingly.

But in actually interesting/relevant topics, I think Hajime Hinata is a non-SHSL impostor, and his memory has been erased in order to cover up the bureaucratic SNAFU that managed to get him here.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Now I'm certain that Monobear really has hijacked Monomi's operation. Junko Enoshima's/Monobear's plan relied on the Hope's Peak students not realising that they were friends so that they would kill each other. And if the Jabberwock students have already befriended each other or simply known each other for years before the events of Super Dangan Ronpa 2, the New Monobear wouldn't want them know that, since they could hesitate in killing each other. So unless Monobear is able to really twist the truth or turn them against each other, I don't think the Jabberwock students are really old friends.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Maybe Nagito's good luck is specifically that he survives to the end of the game, despite the fact that right now he's walking around with a massive flashing neon "KILL ME" sign on his back.

Nagito can't die because he is clearly the heroine of the story.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 11, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I guess whoever is responsible for whatever happened is still in the room. Unless they have very long arms. Say thirty or forty feet.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Armanky posted:

I agree, if somebody is proven to have attempted murder and failed, it's something they'll have to deal with for the rest of the game. If this turns out to be the case with Nagito, it'll make his arc considerably more interesting, since up to this point he's just been the really friendly and sociable and ambiguously related to Naegi in some way.

Syo was fun in her own way though. I like how after a while it just didn't really bother anybody that she had proudly murdered dozens of innocent men in cold blood. :psyduck:

Not to get too armchair-psychoanalyst, but this also applies to the writers and the audience. I think someone explained it best back when Hanamura was introduced: the reason people immediately loathed him was because most probably actually knew people in real life who where huge creeps or maybe were even subjected to sexual harassment by said huge creeps. Others, like me, just found him cartoonishly goofy, probably because they didn't have the same frame of reference.

Now apply this to Syo: exactly how many people would be offended by the presence of a cartoonishly over-the-top serial killer? Serial killers are just way beyond most people's everyday experience: they rarely have family, loved ones or acquaintances who were murdered in a horribly brutal manner, and even when they have, it probably wasn't by a serial killer. It's kind of incomprehensible for most people, including the writers of Dangan Ronpa, and I think this greatly influenced the writing of the game: Syo is only threatening for about a minute before she becomes a comic relief character, and the fact that she has brutally murdered people does not apply because neither other characters in DR nor the audience even get to know his victims.

I think if her background and her victims were elaborated upon, she would actually come off as despicably monstrous instead of wacky.

TL;DR: The monkeysphere.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 23, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

In the class trial environment, Hinata's stoic composure is particularly notable. He dominates discussions, shutting down argumentative classmates with sharp words as often as with evidence bullets. He doesn't panic and seize up like Naegi would if a trial took an unexpected turn. He's confident, he's charismatic, and he's genuinely ruthless at times. I've brought it up before, but Hinata's attitude is of a court officer, a politician, or a leader of some sort.

Super High-School Level :commissar:

It honestly sounds very plausible, since it means we've been seeing his SHSL talent in action the whole time, like with Kirigiri. If he's a SHSL Leader, he could've been mind-wiped to stop him from dominating the whole class for some reason or another.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

RentACop posted:

I'd imagine he's probably going to spend most of the game being the worst defense attorney during the trials, it's gonna be great

I just figured it out that this is probably going to be his role during the game, unless he snaps back from Despair: SHSL Devil's Advocate. Since the students are more proactive and competent this time around, there needs to be another antagonistic figure besides Monobear.

e: Goddamn, beaten.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

She was there long enough to get some Free Time sessions at least though. Maybe they just made a really strong impression? :v:

And she had that great deadpan attitude in that one comic in the artbook (or wherever).

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Komaeda, you bastard. I hope you get what's coming for you. :argh:

At first I thought that they were making Hanamura unlikable so that the player wouldn't feel sorry for him when he died, but then they turn the whole thing around and twist the knife for good measure.

e:

melodicwaffle posted:

I thought batshit-insane Nagito was hilarious when he was first revealed, but he's really gotten worse and worse with each update. He's quickly becoming even more annoying than DR0 Junko.

I hope its a sign of the writers realising that violent sociopaths aren't actually very wacky and funny (see Syo).

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 15, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Because this one image absolutely needs to be seen:

Junko's neck :ughh:

She's half-giraffe, don't be rude.

e: Well, the rest of the manga is certainly something.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Kirakira seems like a pretty obvious Chekhov's Gun/Serial Killer. I think Syo was mentioned once (as a possible mastermind) in Chapter 1 in DR1 before she became even remotely important.

Between this and Hanamura's advances in the previous chapter, Sonia doesn't seem to understand what a common citizen goes through in his day-to-day life. I'm led to wonder whether Sonia was ever outside her palace prior to arriving at Hope's Peak.

Just try to find someone who was born to an upper class family and isn't horrible out-of-touch with common people. It's how you get people like Mitt Romney.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Pick posted:

That's what I was thinking. Long-term cryostasis; perhaps they never moved an inch.

I've been convinced from Day 1 that the Jabberwock gang (minus Togami and maybe Nagito?) was in long-term cold sleep after entering Hope's Peak Academy because it would make it implausible for them not to notice some changes in their bodies othat happened between entering high school and entering Jabberwock Isle (I'm assuming that they entered Hope's Peak at the same times as the DR1 gang and that at least a year has passed between the events of DR1 and beginning of DR2, as evidenced in Togami's girth).

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Hajime neglected to ask the most important question: did Kuzuryuu make that burger himself, or was magical Monobear automatisation responsible?

It just bugs me for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Jesus Christ, Kuzuryuu. At least he's serious about it.

And if I learned anything from Lone Wolf and Cub, he performed a formal greeting to another Yakuza group?

• Locked thread