Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

I can't wait until we learn more about the characters so the fact that they have similarities in design to old characters stops being the only thing about them.

I guess, but on the other hand this game is the best one for delivering that feeling you get when you switch schools and you find out that everyone in your new class is almost a palette swap of someone you knew back at your old school, in an awkward manner of speaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

One of the things that is surprising me is that most of the ways in which the characters combined here are vaguely along the lines of their counterparts' associations in this game. Sure, Leon and Maizono may not have had a rapport, but I do recall them having talked together about the whole idol thing? It was a while back so maybe I'm misremembering.

Like the Asahina clone's hair is giving me very strong Hagakure vibes, the other 'airhead' who survived to the end. On the other hand, Togoonmi's counterparts weren't as close -- and speaking of supergoon, one of his closer associates in Celes doesn't have any such clear counterpart. And Chef-dude appears to somehow be crossbred from Mondo and Santa.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

pandaK posted:

Hinata is a unisex name meaning "sunny place." As long as we're on the topic, his given name, Hajime, means "beginning."

As I recall Naegi and Kirigiri's names had actual significance in that quasi-Shakespearean "their names reinforce their identity/role/nature" manner. I don't know nearly enough to comment on this, so I have to ask in the event anyone would know enough vocab for that -- was that true for all the characters or only a couple of 'em?

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

Shoopuf posted:

Which is fine and dandy, I think. Everyone, their moms and their dogs called our previous protagonist Naegi in the last thread, when his given name is actually Makoto. It just seems much more natural when dealing with a script that was originally Japanese.

Also, I keep reading "Hajime" and hearing "hajimemasu te" which... I believe is "pleased to meet you". I get a kick out of it, anyway.

I think you might mean "Hajimemashite" but, yeah, it's derived from the same root (which is also why it's only really ever used the first time you meet someone).

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012
Well, Jesus, if she's going by "Sonia Nevermind" that actually goes a long way to answer my question of "Where's the eerily-similar-to-Celes influence supposed to be?"

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

whitehelm posted:

Huh? They're clearly Japanese in the video, with the English names edited in.

They're also still written phonetically. So the anagram would probably be fairly straightforward to find for most people fluent in Japanese.

Re-watching the video I notice one of the characters apparently has the surname Owari, which can mean "The End". Fascinating, though it's still probably a bit too early to say where they're going with that. Still, the Asahina derivations notwithstanding there's a clear you-know-who vibe I'm getting from her -- for one thing the one line major we've heard from her so far, "Why is that chihuahua talking" is almost so clueless as to be suspicious in itself, though it probably IS still too early to call.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Hahahaha it actually is Togami. Or at least, same name as Togami.

He reminds me of an anime version of Cartman.

If it is indeed that Togami, well, it'll just be more of a shame that "Respect Mah Authoritah" won't really have a place in the LP dialogue anywhere.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Bravo, good sir, bravo. :golfclap:

I almost kinda wish it was Monobear but only to make an "MK in the coffee" joke -- even if it is a bit forced since the Mono-kuma name is kinda disfavored around here.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012
I am beginning to suspect myself that the Nagito stuff is also a red herring, at least in the sense that so much of it is obviously him it's obviously not him.

Now, my theory depends on a few things, not least of which is that the measurements given in the DR1 thread aren't correct for Junko (no, wait, really, I'm going somewhere with this) but were for Mukuro, and Junko's were different. I seem to recall this actually being part of the way in which we were able to determine that the Junko we met at the start of the game was an imposter. (Problem is I don't remember Junko's ACTUAL measurements -- does anyone have them, or were they actually the same as Mukuro's??)

There are some things about ol' Nagito that stand out to me:

1. His hair and eye color are much closer to Junko's than Naegi's.
2. His height, as noted, doesn't match.
3. He's certainly creepier-looking than Naegi was.
4. He seems to be very interested in us -- which might be to gain our trust to help misdirect us.
5. "Nagito Komaeda = Naegi Makoto Da"? This almost seems too obvious.

There are some things about Junko that are important to keep in mind:

1. She was the mastermind of the first game. I'd be really surprised if somehow she wasn't somehow involved in all this madness as well, as head of the SHSL despair group.
2. She's very good at throwing her voice.
3. She's probably really good at disguises too, if she was involved in developing Mukuro's disguise.
4. In the event that she's involved she'd probably want to find the most credible/reliable people on the island (in the event of a similar 'mystery' scenario or whatever) and try to lead them astray, though subtly enough that they aren't aware that was what happened.
5. She did something very much like that previous point in terms of introducing Mukuro to us (that is, deliberately misled us on the nature - and time - of her murder).

Of course the problems are (aside from the fact I don't even remember what her real height was), and she certainly seemed to be well and dead at the end of the first game. It's also not really clear what role the academy had in leading to the despairing incident so the idea that Junko's even working mostly alone might also be wrong (although it seems like DR0 is supposed to answer those questions). So we'll see.

But in the (admittedly still pretty unlikely) event Nagito is Junko, just remember I didn't pull that poo poo out of my rear end.

EDIT: oh, and of course there are two sorts of people who would have a near-encyclopedic knowledge of all the school attendees; one is a SHSL fanatic, the other is a SHSL mastermind.

MUTEkI fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 15, 2012

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

Joenen posted:

SHSL Despair are just lucky that none of the characters grew/cut their hair/maintained their appearance perfectly for over two years.

Or, again, they have a master of disguise among them to maintain their appearance throughout that stasis, so that even if they changed it over the year they can almost perfectly reconstruct their original appearances. Given that their memory of that year was gone, they have to just make them look just like they did when they entered the school to fix the illusion.

I'm just saying, Junko being really loving amazing at costuming is not that far an asspull to make given her SHSL ability and actual events in the story.

MUTEkI fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 15, 2012

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

Alien Arcana posted:

Nagito is suspicious as gently caress. My first reaction to him in this update is, "This is how Junko saw Naegi." He's a parody of SHLS Hope, a straw man set up to mock the very concept.

Hence why I'm not fully convinced our not-Naegi isn't just Junko in disguise, a super high-school level strawman.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

DaveWoo posted:

I got more of a Rosie the Riveter vibe, myself.

I kind of get the feeling of "We've got to cut off the circulation down there to prevent the spread of the poison" which I would just love to see because slapstick is great dammit especially nad-related slapstick.

Also, nobody commenting on how totally-not-Asahina's only interest is not in puzzling out whatever mystery about the island there was but merely to go in the sea? Surprised. [Then again I was so sure we'd have more than one commenter going on about the 'romantic sentements' in the last DR0 update...]

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

Crepuscule Adepte posted:

I think people are missing the most important thing of all: There is a song titled "Ocean Breeze Dead End". It is amazing music, and I kind of hope the final chapter's named after it.

Edit: Also, because I keep on forgetting to mention this: I actually got a very impression from Togami's speech this time. Yes, it induced the same paranoia, but the nature of it is a bit different. Togami's speech was "Our biggest threat isn't Monobear, but ourselves", while the one in Dangan Ronpa was "Our biggest threat is each other."

They don't look the same initially, but there's a different set of associations to me, at least. It gives off the impression that he's less focused on "winning the game", and more focused on keeping the group from killing each other in the first place.

It's also probably the best argument right now as to why Togami would be the same character from the first game -- in addition to not having anything to prove from having escaped, it's all the more frustrating to go from a team of people who near the end all stopped killing each other (i.e., no murders after chapter 4) and managed to escape anyway to a bunch of people who'll try to kill and be more likely to end up dead as a result, since he and some of the other people on the island know how to investigate poo poo and get correct verdicts. Given the fact that the last game ended with more than one person alive there is hope* that there will end up being ways to get even more of the students off the island safely this time.

*why no i don't think this could have anything to do with anything the game is actually trying to convey to us why do you ask

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

orenronen posted:

Wasn't my doing.

And now I'm wondering if this is too much of a spoiler for people still reading the DR1 thread.

It's a spoiler inasmuch as it might suggest that Togami is going to be alive at the end, but it's still no guarantee. Given that we still can't decide whether or not these Togamis are the same person I don't know that someone not aware that it's from DR2 would still have reason to assume it was, similar to what someone else said above.

At the very least it's not really a spoiler for the contents of this game at all, presented the way it is.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012
Technically I think DR1 had a bonus ending too what with the school gate key you could get.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012
Whether or not "Ubermensch olympics" was effectively the original verbiage or a modification by the guys doing the posting work, it is most assuredly going to become part of my everyday lexicon because it's just so great. Probably 90% of the time it'll be in making Paul Ryan jokes but hey it's still gonna get used.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012
Sonia and Togami, because with Sonia's comments in that last update she's my new favorite character and because Togami is Togami.

quote:

Civilization is much akin to fruit. Shortly after ripening it will rot, and, without fail, fall.
Growing wealth makes fanatics of private enterprises. Bureaucrats shape the law into a tool that serves only to keep them in power.
As a result, the weight of vested interest sinks the country into conservatism, and all attempts at reform are crushed...

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012
So today's DR0 can be summarized as 'I can read minds! Just kidding, I have good intuition,' then, eh?

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012
Wow, Togami is all but admitting that he had something to do with wiping everyone's memories.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012
What a shame. He was a good man.
Also that's one hell of a trip on the part of Mikan -- they're trying way too hard.

Night vision goggles. Likely a really easy prompt is going to be "but how did the killer manage to see in the dark?" and the answer would, of course, be those. Interesting question would be if the way the bands are set fits the head of anyone in particular there.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

slowbeef posted:

Can we just outright reject the "I'm hiding under the floorboards and just kinda hoping someone falls so I can stab them" theories?

It's ridiculous. If you went to the trouble of planning the timer air-conditioner to trip a fuse, and plant a knife with glow-in-the-dark tape, you are not gonna leave "I hope someone falls!" to chance.

Unless the knife was put there in order to try to lure out a potential killer -- Nagito and Togami may have arranged to make the knife really visible (and of course then they would know where it is) so that it attracts the attention of people once the lights go out. Not for the sake of leading to anyone actually dying, but to figure out who it is they most need to keep their eyes on. Depends on how visible the glow tape is when obscured by the tablecloth. If someone else who was there during the setup (Hanamura, cooking?) saw that, they might have suspected it was a trap.

The only problem in that situtation is that it's a bit less likely that whoever was hiding under the floorboards would actually know the power would go out, since they weren't involved in the plan. It might be possible Hanamura could have planted it and then stabbed whoever went over there, but that's still a strange thing to do given the whole cover of darkness thing in the first place -- in any case, it's not so much a 'I hope someone falls' as a 'Boy I hope someone reaches down to grab that knife that I put there so I can get in and stab 'em'. Again, depends a lot on how visible the glow tape is.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

So is this the first time you've met half the people in this thread? Because "Useless, Minor loving Thing" is the banner they proudly fly above their heads, making the 2% of the time it actually is relevant all the more infuriating. Just look in the DR1 thread, with the Chihiro thing. :v:

Look at the blood. There's none on the carpet but plenty on the tablecloth on the side facing the carpet. That's kinda weird. Not sure it's a smoking gun exactly (even if it was moved I'm surprised the blood didn't get on the carpet at all from the cloth) but it's still suspicious.

That said, I'm still kinda interested in working out the line of thinking of the thread here --

Armanky posted:

This is more or less what I had in mind as opposed to Nagito and the killer (we'll say Kuzuryuu) being accomplices. Kuzuryuu would formulate a plan to kill Nagito while he was trying to enact his own plan, which he knew would occur at exactly 11:30 under the table.

At this point I'm waiting for more evidence to pop up. As has been said, we still don't know for certain that there was even space to crawl around under the floorboards to begin with, which this theory absolutely does not work without knowing.

Yeah, this would be where I'm coming from as well. I'm not even necessarily thinking the board was being stabbed through (like sticking a weapon through a knothole or the little bit of space between two slats -- this is what it sounds like people are suggesting or at least trying to argue against) anyway. This lodge isn't exactly built to code, and I wouldn't be surprised if the killer -- assuming they fit down there, which I'm willing to buy for now at least -- just slid out the floorboard a bit to get a good shot at Togami. Meanwhile that means there's a bit of the board either sticking out or hanging lower (depending on if it was slid out or tilted or something) which possibly was what Mikan tripped on.

From the picture right before the power outage, depending on how long the boards are, Mikan could have been tripped up by one since she's standing in a place relative to the table and Togami where that might make sense -- when the board slides out, she trips on the end of it.

Next thing to consider is whether or not the line of stabbitty-stab-stabs all line up with such a potential gap. The punctures all seem to line up with the length of a single slat. I mean, sure, a skewer might not fit between two boards, but if a board is slid out of the way, there's a lot more room to work with.

Again, there are still a lot of unknowns -- we still don't know who, if anyone, could fit down there; neither do we know for sure that the panels can be slid out in this way -- but I think there's more going for it than what people are arguing.

MUTEkI fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 1, 2013

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012
Kuzuryu seems to also be one of the smaller group members. I figure if anyone could fit under there it'd be he.

W.T. Fits posted:

My main issue with the "the killer stabbed wildly upwards from under the floorboards" theory is that I would think you would hit the floorboards more than you would hit the victim through the gaps. Especially given that it's likely to be just as dark under the floorboards as it is in the lodge during the blackout.

I mean, try this: take your hand, and hold it out flat, palm-down, with your fingers spread so that there's just enough space to slide a pen through them. Then close your eyes and try to jab a pen upward between your fingers as fast as you can without hitting them.

But we're supposed to believe that someone was able to accurately stab Togami eight times, in the dark, through some very narrow gaps in the floorboards? I'm not saying it's impossible, mind you, but it seems very unlikely at this point, with the evidence and testimony we've currently gathered.

Again, I'm not saying he stabbed in between the floorboards. I'm saying he lifted one of the floorboards out of the way, and then went in to stab Togami. The fact that the stabbings all seem to line up with the width of a single slat is quite consistent with that, while I don't think that just jabbing a knife or skewer between the slats would be possible, and if it were probably would be way easier to dodge.

Again, easiest way to discount this would be to show the floorboards are well-secured, but this lodge is not very robustly constructed. I wouldn't be surprised at all to find that many of them are loose like that.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

Indecisive posted:

If he was stabbed from below then it is likely that the blood would have all gone directly down, not splattered around on the tablecloth. On the other hand, with that much blood everywhere it's INCREDIBLY unlikely that anyone who was in close quarters under the table would have gotten away clean, so I think anyone who was seen soon after the lights came on is unlikely to be the killer; the distraction of that clumsy nurse may have given them time to clean themselves on the tablecloth though.

This could explain why there's blood on the side of the tablecloth but not on the carpet around the body, if it was used to try to clean up some more after the killing. It's not very compatible with going under the floorboards though, presumably, unless there's a really quick route under from the kitchen.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

Armanky posted:

-There is a bloody tablecloth in the hamper! I... have no clue with this one, but it sure does complicate matters. The tablecloth under which the body was found is already bloody, so where the hell did this one come from?

Does answer the "How did the killer manage to get away without any obvious signs of blood on his clothes or hands or anything?" question pretty well -- used the extra tablecloth to keep blood from getting on him/her.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012
gelbooru kinda sucks compared to most of the alternatives, 2/10 troll

I'd like to add a little more here about the evidence, but I'm not really quite sure yet. The two biggest questions I have -- how loose are the boards, and can anyone even fit under the cabin -- haven't yet been touched.

Does make me wonder, since I've been taking these updates for granted for a while, how much freedom do they give us (as the player) to investigate freely? Especially since this is the 'tutorial' mission and Nagito's there breathing down the back of our necks.

And I won't deny, I figure if Monobear isn't lying about the existence of a traitor and the traitor is someone we've met in this game already, Nagito is really really high on my suspicion list, even though I doubt he was the one who actually killed Togami -- since I suspect part of what happened here is he tried but someone else beat him to it (and maybe thought the fact that Nagito was planning that might give them a chance to push the blame on HIM instead), like others have suggested.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012
Nobody realizes it's a joke because the whole thing has been a huge irony implosion -- even the people who are big anime fans/Japanophiles who go around talking like that have been doing it ironically for YEARS.

It kinda blows my mind personally that it's not obvious to many as trolling, but I guess I can sorta see why someone might possibly think there would be people who talk like that earnestly.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012
The back wall of the storeroom is suspicious either way. It's really close to the banquet hall and it's being blocked by a whole bunch of stuff that one of the biggest suspects is telling us not to investigate for some reason. I would not be surprised to find some sort of crawlspace entrance being blocked off by all that crap.

EDIT: CandyCrazy is basically saying the same thing how the gently caress did I not see that

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012
Another thing I just realized: despite the fact that it's a storage room, there's a lot of space between it, the kitchen, and the banquet hall itself. That's suspicious because I have no idea what the purpose of that would serve in terms of layout. Like, think of an (unfinished) attic used for storage -- basically the whole area is left open. Here's it's not, and it can't be for the sake of something like central air due to an AC unit being what caused the blackout.

The more I think about it the more suspicious I am about the storage room.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

Retter posted:

I am, which bums me out because I really like her and feel really bad for her... Goddamn Monomi why are you so cute and pitiful and depressing but also so incredibly suspicious :saddowns:

And on the subject of Monomi, I do think that her erasure of their memories, especially Hinata's considering he's had more erased, makes it seem pretty likely that he could be the traitor.

I kinda want this to be true, if only because that way we get to basically turn the video game into every Philip K. Dick movie at once -- or at least the Paycheck 'memory wipe inventory/evidence puzzle' meeting Minority Report's 'There is something wrong here with the memory wipes and I have to prove my innocence/justify my actions,' while in the meantime Komaeda tries to demonstrate that Hinata is untrustworthy and incapable of serving as a leader, and we must all rally around him instead. Lead this into an final act in which Hinata, after losing credibility among his peers, gets them to realize that the hope being peddled by Komaeda is false and disregards their own human nature, in a recapitulation of the final scene from the first game.

This makes so much sense (especially given that it's not like Japan's games culture doesn't adore Philip K. Dick movie adaptations) for the structure of the last two acts that it has to be completely and totally wrong, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012

Charlett posted:

Come on, it already died and was sad. Let's go back and apologize.

Agreed on all counts, spoil that sunofabitch

• Locked thread