Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Blondie gives me Maizono vibes. It's probably the expression and her hands clasped in front, since that was Maizono's default pose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

It might not be a safe idea to try and translate the rest of that code. DR1's opening had some pretty big freeze-frame spoilers (Leon's, Celes's, and Naegi's executions), and this text is both freeze-frame and in a whole other language.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

I'm actually wondering if Chef will be the first victim simply because he's so ridiculously short, I honestly don't think his head would actually go above his stand at the trial.

Kimono-girl isn't that tall either, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she's simply around Chihiro's height.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Seeing Nagito's voice clip made me decide to look at the DR1 voice clips and I noticed something in regards to how we refer to characters. Specifically, the name we refer to a character as generally correlated with the name Oren used for their individual clip. The only exceptions were that Naegi was called Makoto, Aoi was called Asahina (which lasted longer than the other characters' lesser-used-names), and Junko was called Enoshima.

This isn't the most revelatory post, I understand, but it could lead to some insight to the previously-asked question of why we referred to characters the ways that we did, and more relevantly, how we should refer to the current cast.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Patter Song posted:

Japanese high school is 3 years, so Naegi was the equivalent of a US 10th grader, or 15-16 in the last game.

Naegi presumably entered Hope's Peak his second year, since he was already previously a high-school student, which would put him at the 16-17 range, and there was explicitly a two-year time gap, so he'd actually be 18 or 19, well past the age for a growth spurt.

And put me in the camp that thinks that Nagito's so obviously based off of Naegi that actually being him goes straight back into being unlikely. Even Celes killing Yamada was subtler. Plus, there's the issue with reconciling Naegi's "hope for the best" attitude with Nagito's "expect the worst" one.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

miguelito posted:

Sorry, I should have mentioned I finished the game earlier this month, so based on that.

So uh, I hope "the characters are great, I like them a lot" wasn't too spoiler-y or anything. :)

That first comment about liking the cast better isn't really, but the second one about who dies when is. You don't give any specifics, granted, but that's still a *wink wink nudge nudge*-style hint, whether or not that was your intention.

A good rule of thumb from the first thread was that if you know what happens, don't say anything. Even if you're trying not to spoil the game, some things can slip through.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 15, 2012

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Oh man, I didn't expect to be sold on both of their personalities so quickly.

It's a shame that they both only have a 33% chance of survival. :smith:

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

I might just be seeing things, but I like how in his official art, Souda's hair vaguely looks like a pair of shark fins. Goes pretty well with his shark teeth.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 16, 2012

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Odds are, since it's a prequel, the Worst, Most Despair-Inducing Incident in the History of Mankind (I can't believe I remember that) will be one of the primary focuses of Dangan Ronpa/Zero, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 17, 2012

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

No, excluding when oren replaced his default portrait for a higher-quality, not-smiling one, there was exactly moment where Naegi's portrait changed: right before his execution.

Oren's reasoning for not changing it even during trials was that it was basically the one shortcut he had for the LP, though it did have the benefit of increasing the impact of the aforementioned scene when it did change for that one moment.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

I'm thinking that the way this game's going to work is that Monobear will show up and offer murder as a much faster alternative (befriending everyone, while nice, seems like a slow process), and then start giving out motives and incentives to get off the island ASAP.

However, that doesn't mean there can't be an alternate ending where you collect all the shards and get off the island that way, like how DR1 had the Escape Switch easter egg.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Hey, look on the bright side. At least now we have one character we won't mind dying.

Now watch him be one of the survivors just to spite us. :shepface:

SHSL Princess is kind of an odd ability to be accepted for, but we had a SHSL Heir last game, so whatever.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 26, 2012

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

I bet that, in honor of him gaining 500 lbs in what couldn't have been more than one or two years, Togami has been readmitted into Hope's Peak as a Super High-School Level Glutton.

Assuming he survives this game, he'll then reappear in the theoretical third game as a SHSL Sucker for falling for the same scheme twice.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 27, 2012

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

I think she just has those eye-rings that Ishimaru had.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Wow. I can't even imagine her not being a murderer, despite being obvious.

Interesting how no one is bringing up how no one's bringing up how Togami conglomerate collapsed.

Oh god Togami's official art is the best.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

lotus circle posted:

I have to say, I don't quite get where all the "Saionji is crazy, she'll definitely kill" is coming from.

It's the expressions. If she used one of her "cutesy" poses while talking about ant-killing, I could buy that she was simply naive, but:

Those are not the expressions of anyone that could be classified as naive, good, or innocent. Those are the expressions of a complete sociopath. There is simply no way those poses could be used in a not-evil context.

The art style loves coloring faces red for anger and blue/purple for despair/fear, but I think this might be the first time it has used black, presumably for malice.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Bland posted:

And the walls were painted with viscera after the fact to set the mood I imagine

The mental image of the culprit doctoring a crime scene just for atmosphere is rather entertaining. Are we sure that Togami wasn't the one that was behind the incident? Desecrating a murder for entertainment would fit his modus operandi perfectly.

And, this goes for everyone, if you get spoiled about something, maybe it would be a good idea not to tell everyone what you were spoiled on, no matter how vague you're trying to be about it.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 31, 2012

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

orenronen posted:

Hmhmhm... It seems the substantial one is more... observant... than I had surmised...

Heh.

And I have to say, I'm kind of surprised at how excited I am to hear Monobear's voice again.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

psychoticBacofoil posted:

Does anyone else think it's ironic how the moment Hinata decides to go with this whole thing and stop being so suspicious that suddenly Monobear shows up and decides to ruin everything?

Speaking of which, I find it interesting that his attitude takes a complete 180 the moment he starts feeling like an outcast, like he's trying to force himself to fit in.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

I just saw the symbols and hearts and thought boy/girl relations. v:shobon:v

IceBorg posted:

I might not have been paying attention but I don't remember this with DR1's opening and that one had Leon's and Naegi's executions in it.

DR1 wasn't the behemoth of popularity this is back when it got to its opening. And people did notice Naegi's execution after seeing Kirigiri's version of it, so that ended up being a spoiler anyway, just a short-term one. Incidentally, it also had Celes' execution too (with Celes herself just barely visible).

I, personally, want nothing to do with OP discussion specifically because of blink-and-you'll miss it spoilers.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Peko apparently has hearts (though I don't really see it).
They're eye-rings. Ishimaru had them too.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 10, 2013

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

While I did like Naegi, Hinata's paranoia makes for an interesting change of pace.

This cast in general seems to be more paranoid than the first game's. In the first game, with the exception of Togami and Fukawa, most of the characters refused to believe someone would kill until someone actually did, and even then, they still continued going to the morning meetings and kept trying to trust each other.

Here, no one seems to trust anyone to not kill. I'm not sure they'll start having morning meetings either, especially since they don't seem to have a "Law and Order" guy like Ishimaru to kick them off. Maybe Nidai?

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

orenronen posted:

Curse words is one area where English is much more nuanced than Japanese.

Yeah, that figures. :v:

And while everyone's talking about Hinata attempting to kill, I'm personally hoping for the opposite: that someone makes an (unsuccessful) attempt at his life. I always thought it was a little weird how Naegi made it out of the first game relatively unscathed despite being one of the three that solves every trial, but I just chalked it up to how he was good friends with everyone, meaning no one could bring themselves to directly kill him.

Hinata, on the other hand, doesn't seem as friendly and sociable, so that excuse wouldn't hold up this time around. It would be neat to see how his attitude, and maybe ours, would change to reflect that, particularly toward the would-be killer. An attempted murder in general would also add an interesting dynamic to the trial that would follow it.

edit: Oh hey, an update. Oh Junko, I never realized that I missed you.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 14, 2013

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

The only part of Justice Robo that can be called "badly constructed" was how hard it was to move in it, which was intentional so that Yamada could hold up Hagakure while the latter was in it. The fact that the costume was a Justice Robo of all things also counts I guess, but Celes didn't object to it for some reason so she's at fault there too.

And Celes was the one that came up with the plan. Yamada did his part to the letter.

edit: Why am I defending Yamada killing my favorite character, what the hell.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 17, 2013

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Oh hey Souda brought up the "hole up in your room" strategy. The idea that Mikan intentionally tripped that spectacularly is interesting, though what purpose it would serve I'm not sure. Coach is also still awesome. What else-

Is that a bomb.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Something to be considered about Junko's Monobear is that his actions had to take the audience into account. He had to play by the rules, and he couldn't force the students' hands because the moment he did, the "School Life of Mutual Killing" would stop being a case study of the futility of hope and it would become a case of a sadist brutally slaughtering kids, and that would bring the audience relatively less despair.

Some assumptions we can make about this game's Monobear from that is either that he isn't appealing to an audience, or that he isn't as despair-obsessed as Junko was. And considering how hosed up Junko's mindset had to be for her to be that obsessed...

Of course, we're still at the very beginning of Chapter 1, so we can't really go anywhere from that assumption, nor can we use it for any real mastermind speculations, and it could easily be toppled by future evidence. We don't even have confirmation that that's a bomb, either (though I'm at a loss as to what else it could be).

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

orenronen posted:

Cute... little hamsters...?

...T...Thank you.
Oh man how could I not vote for Gundam after that? :3:

As for who else... I guess I liked how well Kuzuryuu took being suspected.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Wait, so you can read Japanese too? What can't you do?

...Unless you took the slowbeef approach to Dangan Ronpa, which would still be impressive in its own way.

RefinedUndefined posted:

And 'the slowbeef approach' is what again?
This.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 23, 2013

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Are you guys trying to say that the guy who's voice sounds like this is a girl? Because I'm sorry, but no matter how I listen to it that is undeniably a man's voice, coming from a voice actor that is a man, and as far as I know, men never voice women except as a joke or if they look manlier than Sakura.

Incidentally, Chihiro was also voiced by a man, so a lot of arguments on that front probably could have been curbed if anyone had bothered to look the guy up.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

On why the mastermind would potentially use Monomi in addition to Monobear, she initially seemed to represent the hope to Monobear's despair, and she's been portrayed as pathetic and completely ineffectual against the latter. She could easily be a strawman.

On the memories, I can't quite discard the idea that Monobear's lying, and that the cast doesn't actually consist of years-long friends. That might just be me wanting them to contrast with the DR1 cast, though.

On Kirigiri: Her mindwipe was far more extensive than the rest of the cast's, hence her forgetting her ability, and she doesn't actually specify what she meant about her body being different, but Sakura noticing a change too implies she was talking about her aging.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 5, 2013

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Requested_Username posted:

I highly doubt tomorrow will be the murder day. We need enough time to be able to get all 6 hope shards from any character, so we need at least a couple more free time events to be able to.

In the first game, Leon and Mukuro had three free-time events. They died after the game gave you two (well, three, but one's hogged by Maizono). Collecting Hope Shards will almost certainly just be a New Game+ sort of deal. Especially since oren said the game gives a better method for collecting them after beating it.

Zeeco posted:

In the first games many days passed after every motive before a murder happened to raise the tension so that each morning you wake up and wonder if this will be the day. Also to lengthen the game because if murders happened so soon there would be a lot less game.

Maizono made her move the very same day that she saw her video. Chapter 2's "secret pasts" motive had an explicit 24-hour deadline.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

CrashScreen posted:

There's no post dedicated to the fan art this time either, so we'll probably see someone do that again unless we lose some of the fantastic contributions this thread has had.

Fedule posted:

I'm thinking I might take care of this while we're still at "only" 123 pages (:suicide:).

I suppose now's a good enough time as any to bring this up: while I won't deny the possibility that I missed some pieces here and there (I'll probably scan the thread again sometime after the first murder), I'm currently trying to save every art-piece, including the rare pieces of official art or merchandise to a folder on my desktop. I'm trying to keep my standards of what constitutes an art-piece low, so even things that edit that boiled down to slapping attorney's badge onto a screenshot is being included. I'm also keeping a word document with links in it, which currently only has the Retsutalk episode and that fanservice-laden parody of another show's opening.

I'm not sure I'm up for composing a post or several for showcasing them, I can figure out how mediafire works for anyone that wants it.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Alright, this is what I've got so far.

The file names are currently organized as "[Most Recent DR2 Update Number]; (Zero-[Most Recent DR0 Update Number]; ) Arbitrary Name (found) by Username". Ugly, but it gets the job done. I'll probably tack on page numbers to the beginning of that when I rescan the thread.

I'm open to criticisms on how to do this better.

CrashScreen posted:

A good way to handle it would be to write it in BBcode too, so that it can be used in the archives when this thread is done.

I guess I can look into doing this later.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 9, 2013

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

I'm really relieved that nobody's dead yet. I didn't realize how much I was dreading it until this update went up.

...Huh, this is actually pretty tough. Nagito's earned a vote, but I'm honestly not sure who to give my second vote to. I guess I'll just sit on it for a bit.

Fedule posted:

By the way, did you spot the tiny art gaffe in this update?

Is it the fact that Nagito's holding 16 sticks, despite Kuzuryuu not being there? Other than that, I've got nothing.

Speaking of Kuzuryuu, it's kind of funny how he's completely aping Togami's schtick, despite the actual Togami being there.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

She wasn't, and I imagine that, at the very least, Headmaster Kirigiri was never aware of her involvement with any of the despair stuff if he asked her to stay in the locked-up school to help inspire hope.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Hell yeah, Living to the Fullest finally shows up. I was worried Tropical Despair would replace it.

And dammit Togami, if you're going to set yourself up to die early, at least have the courtesy to stop having the best scenes in the game.

No clue what the deal is with the windows. It's not like it's keeping anyone in the buildings (or out) like in the first game.

...Kuzuryuu's already dead, isn't he?

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 18, 2013

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

eating only apples posted:

I wish they'd get on with it, this is really dragging. Sequel syndrome, I guess.

That's probably a side effect of the LP format. I doubt it would feel like it was dragging so much if you were actually playing the game, and weren't taking several days-long breaks at every cliffhanger.

I know what you mean though. I've been expecting a murder every update since Monobear's stand-up performance, and the anxiety's really starting to get to me.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Also, I just noticed that Gundam does have his earring right up to the point everyone starts eating. They seem to have actually changed his sprite to reflect this. If that's important, we know roughly when he lost it.

Wow, they did. A comparison:

Pretty nice attention to detail there. My guess is that it'll be used to frame him for murder, since otherwise they could have simply not bothered with him losing it.

And while people are speculating about what's going on outside the room, I'm more worried about what happened inside. Hinata mentions seeing something shocking in front of him, and Sonia's choice of words ("T...That's...!!") indicates that something's there that shouldn't be, rather than that she's noticed that something/someone is missing.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 20, 2013

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

drat, I was really hoping that Togami would live to the end of the game again, because "the survivor from the prequel" never survives. No one would expect it.

The Chairman posted:

I actually think the night vision goggles belonged to Hanamura. If his plan was to drug Peko's food, flip the breaker, then walk into the dining room to stab someone, he could've used the goggles to quickly get to the dining room, stab someone, then pretend he stumbled into the room a while later as a fake alibi. It wouldn't explain who prepared the glow-in-the-dark knife, though, since he obviously wouldn't have needed it if he had the goggles on. Maybe Nagito prepared it while setting up the room after watching Hanamura case the lodge and spend a little too long lingering near the circuit breakers.

Actually, remember that Nagito left to go to the supermarket at one point, meaning anyone could have snuck into the dining room to plant the knife.

Also, this would be a great time for oren to take a break from DR2 to finish up the DR1 stuff. :shepface:
Seriously though I can't think of a more appropriate time to finish up Togami's first set of free-time events.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 20, 2013

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

TKMobile posted:

Because more importantly, Nagito's been there the whole loving day cleaning this place up. He's the ONLY person who could have smuggled the knife in and intended to use it. Nobody else could get the knife there-- it had to have been planted before Togami started searching the place.

As a matter of fact:

orenronen posted:

Oh, Hinata-kun! So, what do you think?
What do I think about what?
About the way I decorated this hall for the party, of course! I even spread out a carpet.
...You brought in this carpet?

Yeah, I got it at the supermarket.

No he wasn't. Nagito had to leave the shack to get the carpet, and anyone could have snuck in and planted the knife while he was off hauling it back.

The real question is when the skewer was taken. We know it (supposedly) happened before Hanamura went in, but we'd need a better idea of what the timeline of his actions was before we can determine who could and couldn't take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

I'm really liking Mahiru this update. Before, she clearly didn't like Togami that much, but here, she's the most broken up about him dying. Really sets her up as the emotional, human one of the bunch, like Asahina was last game.

Also interesting is how adamant Nagito is that none of them are the culprit. Even Naegi seemed to accept that one of his friends killed Maizono pretty quickly.

• Locked thread