Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
We already started and I think I want a avatar of Fatogami already, I know Asahina said that she would create her own donut shop but she didn't have to make Togami try all of then first....

My first theory is that....because there are some characters with DR1 characters similarities my best guess is that one of the characters who doesn't have those similarities has a big connection to someone from the DR1 cast.

And oren was right. Zero just spoils the first game with the first sentence, kinda funny.

IceBorg fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I also like how, so far, all of Fatogami's sprites are all a fat version of his DR1 version sprites, I hope they are like that.

Also the fact that this is a sequel and we are already talking about him so much......I have a bad felling about the first victim now :smith:

Well there is also Naegi but with crazy hair so it could be him too I guess, since he was there in the very first scene my theory is that he will be the Maizono type assistant in this chapter..

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Oh I don't know if anyone noticed this but when listening to the crazy hair Naegi look-alike voice clip, I'm pretty sure he has the same VA as Naegi. :tinfoil:

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Phreizr posted:

The thing that really gets me about fat Togami is I swear it seems like they went out of their way to give him the EXACT SAME poses and expressions. Some of the other characters have similar traits to DR1 characters, but the callbacks strike me as especially blatant with him, to the point where I figure there has to be something up, even if it's just some weird developer in-joke.

Maybe its because its the same character? I mean its pretty obvious that its where this is going, but I guess we will see.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I hope Togami still has his character development from the first game, pseudo-nice Togami was too funny and I was super glad when he survived because I thought that character change would have killed him.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
People in the DR1 thread were talking about a Dangan Ronpa avatar for Fedule since he will be taking part in this and...well:

I think the monorabbit thing here would be a perfect fit.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

spd12 posted:

The pink hair guy with the shark teeth is giving me some serious Leon vibes, which I imagine to be intentional on the part of the designers. There's an insignia on his chest that's colored exactly the way blood is in Dangan Ronpa.

If this game is out to subvert our expectations, I suspect he will be instead one of the most developed and interesting characters who lasts through the entire game, despite appearances.
His hair is pink, clearly the twist is that his hair is actually full of blood and no one ever realized it!

But yeah I got the same Leon vibe from him, but my theory is that this time the Maizono-type character of this game will sucessed in her murder plan!

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Autumncomet posted:

I like the pun, but the title of the Polsy Youtube link said "Magical Girl Miracle - Usami" so I guess that's it.
He/she is talking about the one next to Monobear right in the first screenshot.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Waffleman_ posted:

So is he. Did you even watch the video?
Yeah I did, and Silhouette was talking about the monochrome rabbit here:

Yes Usami and the monochrome rabbit are most likely the same thing but in this case the name would be Monosomething, I think that was what Silhouette meant with his question.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Edited a lot because of confusion:

Rather Watch Them posted:

Usami is completely pink in her opening video, but in this screen she's half-white.

Take this as you will. I don't know.
But yeah this is what I meant.

IceBorg fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 12, 2012

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

orenronen posted:

We will get into the details of the other characters' speech as we're introduced to them. The next update heavily features what I'm pretty sure is going to be one of our most controversial translation choices (you get a glimpse of it in the first update). Some people will hate us for it, but I think it works pretty well. But we'll talk about that next time.
Ok so my guess after reading the first update is that you are talking about Usami baby speech. Can't wait until the story behind that from you and Fedule, because I guess japan doesn't have a speech like that....but I could be wrong, anyways I love these segments.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Yeah the whole Hinata vs Naegi is interesting. One of the things I'm looking forward to now, is how Hinata will react to the death game. With Naegi's personality and the fact that he was the protagonist it clearly told us that there was a very low change of him murder someone and so his role in the story was very predictable in that way, but with this info on Hinata's character I'm very interested on how he will react to everything and how he will lead the trials.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Gundam Tanaka?!? That is the best name! They are just making him not have any lines on purpose now.
And yep that's totally DR1's Togami, it was too funny not to be true.

Well at least we have full names already. Oh and that Monomi song is quite awesome I must say.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

DaveWoo posted:

Well, that's an interesting assertion, Mr... *checks video* Nagito Komaeda? Huh.

Okay I might be wrong here, but isn't Nagito Komaeda a anagram of Makoto Naegi?!?

I think this is starting to be too obvious, but with this series I don't know...

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

njsykora posted:

Togoonmi is dying first isn't he...
Hey, have hope Nagito is also turning into a high contender with his big red herring name and design so maybe he is the one to go first.

Or it could be both...:(

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I also laughed at Togami's shocked sprite, it took him 4 chapters in the first game to see his shocked sprite, but here its right on the second update.

I guess a Heart-Thumping School Trip is more shocking than a game of life and death :v:

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Speaking of DRZero, oren is it alright to know how long is it?

You mentioned some times that it brings up some plot points that lead to this game, so its safe to assume that its short enough that you will finish it before those plot points become important? If the answer is kinda spoilery or it's just a thing you don't want people to know, no need to answer, I'm just a bit curious.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Bifauxnen posted:

I can buy this anagram guy being Naegi all along. It would fit with how he was the first character we saw instead of our protagonist, giving him some special importance. Even his hair going all crazy like that would be pretty fitting for someone who's been getting by in a post-apocolyptic despair society for a while. I wonder how much of their memory's been zapped away, though? Even if they got the Kirigiri super amnesia treatment, they'd be left with a much bigger gap than the others that would be far more suspicious to them. And Togami would have a lot more questions about what happened to his body!
But must it be amnesia? I don't know about Not Naegi yet but Togami could simply be lying about not knowing what is going on and about the whole passing out in front of the school thing and he is there on some kind of mission, like a good(but still a douche) version of Mukuro if you will.
Just throwing that possibily out there.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Zhauth posted:

SCOOBY GANG ASSEMBLE!

Pfff this will never happen, will all know that Alter-Ego is actually Nidai, the eletricity in his eyes and the fact that Chihiro wanted to be more manly prove it. :colbert:

But yeah this is pretty damm amazing, good job!
Just to think that the first piece of user fanart is this, is making me looking forward even more to what this thread will come up with.

Edit: And oh about Sonia I bet her talent will be something like SHSL Princess, just because of the way she talks and her appearence.

IceBorg fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 13, 2012

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Wow that DR0 update was very interesting.
One of the things I got from it is that there were two incidents at work:

-The Worst Incident in Hope’s Peak Academy’s History mentioned here.

-The Worst, Most Despair- induncing Acident in the History of Mankind mentioned in DR1.

I will take a gamble and say that the fact that the first one was covered up led to the creation of the second thanks to SHSL Despair, and that "parade"(riots maybe?) had something to do with it.
Also I assume that the first one is connected to the bloody classroom in DR1 since we never found out what caused so I guess now that it was a student that went kill crazy in there.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Oren mentioned, when he showed us Santa's official art, that he is not mentioned anywhere else besides that small mention in DR1(and I guess some official art).

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

December Octopodes posted:

If Togami really did infiltrate this version of Hope Academy, how did he deal with the memory loss experienced by everyone. It seems plausible that this is Togami, but the change in time is difficult to explain. Also the room probably didn't start out at the island given that Hinata had to make an entrance.

I also don't think that Nagito is Naegi, he doesn't strike as me willing to use subterfuge like that.
What do you mean "this version of Hope Academy"? Are you talking about the one we saw at the beginning with Hinata? I'm pretty sure that is the same one Naegi and co. entered. While yes there may be "xx years later" stuff involved, but there is no heavy proof of that yet.

The way I see it, the same thing that happened to Naegi and co., with their memories, happened with Hinata and co. but they just lost it way later, besides Togami I guess.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Huh, so that is why he became fat. According to Junko Monoworld was a pretty dangerous place...

On a more serious note, unless we have another characer who starts to play a similar role to Maizono(but I don't think they will use that same plot device again), Togami is doomed.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Okay I'm going to continue this LP with the fact that Nagito isn't Naegi.

With that out of way, the fact that the school invited SHSL Good Luck people every year makes me come to the conclusion that this cast of students are upperclassmen to the DR1 cast!(besides Togami I guess)
Junko in the first game said that Naegi and co. only spent one year in their school year at Hope Academy and then another year at the locked school, so that would mean that Naegi should be the last SHSL Luck the school invited. Of course this is only based on the fact that Nagito isn't Naegi.

Also yeah Nagito appears to have a difernt personality than Naegi. Also if he keeps hanging out with us maybe Togami isn't doomed....yay!

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Even if Nagito isn't Naegi, there has to be some sort of (in-universe) explanation to the similarities. I'd be a little disappointed if it's just the writers loving with us.
It's Luck!

IceBorg fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 14, 2012

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Dragonatrix posted:

From what I remember of the last trial of DR1, I'm pretty sure Naegi et al. were there for 2 years before The Most Despairing Event happened.
Nope.
Here is the DR update in question: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3447397&pagenumber=660#post409115251

This is the important part:

quote:

Our story can be traced back to two years ago!
Back to the time we all got invited to attend this school.

We spent our first year here living a peaceful school life full of Hope!

It was the worst school life ever!

You guys really enjoyed that year, though... It was truly the peak of your youth!

That said, it did not last long. Peace only lasted a single year.

As you can see, they were only at school for a year so if Nagito is really another student who went to the school because of his Luck and he and the others belong to the same class it would only make sense that they are older than the DR1 cast.
Of course this is only my theory from the info we have so far, it could change in the future.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

EchoPrima posted:

Doesn't the fact that the purpose of this school trip is to teach the students about hope and friendship make the possibility of DR1's Naegi and Togami showing up kind of pointless? I mean you've got two survivors of the school of mutual killing who learned about hope, one of whom earned the title SHSL Hope, so surely they would have no reason to attend this school trip intended for teaching hope. Also, has there even been any mention of the Despair incident? I find that odd.
Well I think that its pretty obvious that Monobear will appear to mess things up, so if I had to make a guess, Togami(and Naegi too for the people behind the Naegi=Nagito theory) is there to stop people from killing eachother when that happens.

And that will totally work and there won't be any murder! Happy end!

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Joenen posted:

However, it is extremely interesting that Junko mentioned how their hapiness only lasted for a single year. We "know" more or less that their first year was...."normal" until the most despair inducing event, what we don't know is what happaned during the year after.
I'm pretty sure we can assume that they spent the next year in the locked school with the headmaster(wait was he even with then at the locked school? I would assume so but I think its never revealed).
Then Junko and Mukuro kill the headmaster, put the other students to sleep, remove their memories of the last two years, and built all the Death Game stuff: the machine guns, the trial rooms, the execution machines and etc.(also I would assume they had help of other Despair people with this, because I don't think both could do this stuff alone).

IceBorg fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 15, 2012

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Speaking of waiting until more updates I have a feeling that, if you can go talk to the other students in any order you want, oren will leave Gundam to be the last one possible.
The game made sure that he be the only character that didn't get any lines so far and just by his name and design me and, I'm sure, many others want to know what is up with him.

But since oren is the Monobear of this thread.....well.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I think everyone has already said everything that needs to be told about Gundam, let me just add........wow.

About Souda....he really reminds me of Leon in a away, he was a pretty cool dude too before the whole.....murder thing, so he probably will last longer this time, I hope, he seems to be a nice dude....like Leon did ugh.
His skill also reminds me of Chihiro in a away, because in the first game her skill was also one of the most useful but then she died on a chapter where a broken computer was found. So if there is a chapter where a broken machine is found he better be careful when that happens.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Mulderman posted:

Souda sounds like a total bro which is funny considering his design.
Gundam is just all kinds of amazing and I hope the fact that he's carrying around a bunch of little critters means he won't somehow bite the dust. I mean who's gonna take care of them if he dies? The crustacean dude? Seriously doubt it.

Don't worry. If he kills someone they can just be executed with him so that is one way to solve the problem! :shepface:

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Crepuscule Adepte posted:

...Well, if we're guessing on such things already, I'd say that I expect Souda to at least survive the first chapter -- we need someone to get the plane running, though I suspect that we'll be using the same plane to get between all the islands, so he's not needed past the first chapter in that sense.
The map clearly shows that the center island has bridges to all the islands, so my best guess is that only the first island and the center one(my best guess that its there where this game student rooms are) are avaiable now, the others might be blocked by gates or the bridges being out.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Dickweasel Alpha posted:

I never even realized that, but you're right. The whole Faculty bit makes sense because we get a taste of that and it's all ruined, but the rest of it is different.

I'd hazard a guess that HPA is a campus, not just a building, but I get the feeling there was an external shot that would immediately disprove any idea like that. So where are these extra buildings coming from?
Well we don't know the timeframe yet(my guess is that this is happening during that one year of peace when Naegi was at the school) but this update did mention new built buildings and still in costruction ones so my best guess is that before this school year there was only one building(the one the students use to lock themselfs in, with the art room, library etc.) but now they started to build buildings focused on some major skills.

And yeah it looks like this novel is really going to answer all the things the first game didn't, now that we have memory stuff involved.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I noticed that Matsuda is probably our protagonist because he has that hair antenna that both Naegi and Hinata have.

Also Ryouko is totally this novel's SHSL ???, gotta have one always :rolleyes:

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I very much like Mioda already, she has some great sprites and I like her personality.

Oh and about Mikan, I asked a friend of mine about the liking toilets thing and he said that people who are bullied like toilets because its a safe place to hide in schools. I don't know if that is really a thing in Japan but would make sense with her personality. :shrug:

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Since the liking toilets thing is probably do to bullying, my best guess is that hair is also because of that.........man I now feel really bad for her :ohdear:

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Shark Tower posted:

Man, even before the K-On reference, Ibuki was already my favorite character. She better stick it out till the end (which I think is pretty likely, based solely on how many unique sprites she has compared to everyone else so far).
If I remember right both Yamada and Ishimaru were two of the characters who had the most sprites compared to everybody else(I think Asahina had the most) and both ended up dead in the same chapter so I don't think it matters.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Ok that part was really interesting because it could really have something to do with Hinata's SHSL skill...well "not SHSL skill" in this case, as some people have said already.
Also being a regular student in that school must have been a pain, I bet there is some pretty bad stuff between diferent students in this story down the road. It kinda reminds me of Assasination Classroom because that has a similar thing going on.

Another interesting part:

orenronen posted:

“But, it’s so unfair!” I puffed my cheeks.

“Of course it is. If it wasn’t, there wouldn’t be any need for a demonstration, would there? But, still...”

Matsuda-kun suddenly cut his speech short. His tone of voice changed to a cautious one.

“I don’t think they could’ve set all this up on their own. This has to be the result of someone else’s scheme. That’s how I feel...”
Ok very likely that this is SHSL Despair...and if so I think we have here another thing, including that "worst school event", that led to the most Desparing Event.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Uhhhh I may be missing something here but I'm pretty sure that "Bogus System" to go take classes in the main school happens when the normal students are already inside Hope Academy in the Preparatory school, I think if the lottery had anything to do with that, Naegi would have mentioned that he went to the school already in the beginning of the game.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

EchoPrima posted:

How ironic that a school specifically known for creating the nations hope is probably going to be the same one to create a world ending despair event. The prep students are probably well meaning, just protesting Hope's Peak's unfair education system they've been dealt, however peaceful protests can soon become violent and I suspect Junko will take this opportunity to cause despair. As for Hinata actually being a prep student, I suppose it could work but why would he be brought along on the class trip with actual SHSL students. What makes him so special?

About Hinata, I think this is the answer:

quote:

“It doesn’t just seem like one.” Matsuda-kun’s mouth twisted in a bitter smile. “Right now, Hope’s Peak Academy is set up like a third world country’s pyramid class system. The multitude of students in the preparatory school exist only to support the few Super High-school Levels in the main one. It seems they have some kind of bogus system in place for exceptional students to transfer to the main school, but I’ve never heard of anyone actually succeeding. Our teachers probably don’t think any of them deserve it.”

If indeed Hinata was a prep student I think this has something to do with him being in this class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
Oh boy Kuzuryuu is giving big Togami vibes, but we already have a Togami............yep Togami is screwed :(

Nidai is exacly what I was expecting so no suprises there.

And I sooo hope Mahiru is the Hagakure of this game and she gets crazy later on despite appearing to be one of the more normal characters so far.

• Locked thread