Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

ApplesandOranges posted:

And do people refer to Sonia as Sonia, because 'Nevermind' is very foreign-sounding?

European royalty are usually referred to by their first name, after all. :v:

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Speaking of which, is that sub-title a deliberate Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei reference? My friend assumed that Dangan Ronpa was a game adaptation of that manga/anime when he saw the sub-title, knowing nothing else about DR. The phrasing between the two titles is exactly the same in Japanese.

I certainly wouldn't put it past this game. By the way, in case anybody forgot, "Goodbye Despair Academy" was also the title of the epilogue for DR1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
DR1 has exceptionally little fanservice going on for the kind of game it is. I'm guessing they're taking it back to around the normal levels, at least in the beginning.

All the instances of creepiness so far have been ordinary jokes, meant to make you laugh.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Togami seems really pleased with his apparently newfound girth, doesn't he.

For me, it'll be Togami to satisfy my curiosity and Mahiru for no particular reason. Maybe I just don't want to talk to the crazies just yet.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

RefinedUndefined posted:

Aw, really now. Crazies are so much fun to speak to, especially when their character development takes an unexpected turn, or over-the-top.

Eh, you're not wrong. Things will get crazy, unexpected and over-the-top soon enough anyway though.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Rith posted:

Why is it impossible? Hifumi Yamada's name is an anagram of 'I AM MAFIA DUH', with a Y left over to make 'MAFIA-Y', indicating that he's not in fact from the Mafia but from a similar criminal family, so we already know he's related to Kuzuryuu; I can't imagine that's not going to come up at some point. And Togami mentioned that the Kuzuryuu family would have the means to set this up.

UH Y AM I MAFIA'D

See, it's Celes with the mafia connections.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Like a SHSL Mimic or something.

SHSL Taskmaster.

Oh boy.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I drew a small simple thing and thought I might as well share it here.

edit: I really should stop posting pictures drawn half-asleep. It's worse than drunk posting.

slowbeef posted:

Now that Shift-JIS example? Only people who've done ROM-hacking or Japanese game/app programming are even gonna say that - so we're talking about, what? .1% of people reading this?

Eh. I'd say pretty much anyone who has ever dealt with trying to make a Japanese program work or even, say, an mp3 with borked tags should at least know about character encoding and after a Google search or a few stumble upon the words Shift-JIS.

Naturally I'm basing this wild assumption upon my own experiences.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 29, 2013

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Now that I've slept over it, the obvious flaws in my drawing like her head being too big are getting apparent to me. Oh well. Like I said, it's worse than drunk posting, nobody ever spreads those anywhere.

SingerOfW posted:

I think this image hits closer to the game's art style than anything else posted so far.
I like to imitate other styles sometimes, the colors in this one are directly dropped from screenshots.

SingerOfW posted:

Going off-topic here, but is the character in your character original? Because she reminds me of someone.
In my avatar, you mean? She's supposed to resemble Osaka from Azumanga Daioh.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Sherringford posted:

If he were a woman, I imagine he wouldn't want to draw attention to how much he hates the comparison. It seems like a really, really ineffective way of hiding a secret.

That would be a very rational response to a very emotional situation experienced by a very emotional person.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I swear I'm not jumping on the bandwagon! I was just way too slow.

This is one of those pictures that I'm certain some Japanese guy has already drawn way better than I have.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

RefinedUndefined posted:

Possibly because he's easily intimidated or something along those lines.

Something like that. I didn't honestly think about it too much, I just thought his expression would be kind of funny and I couldn't think of anyone better suited off the top of my head. Hinata would have been too serious.

Plus I wanted to draw him so I did.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Oh, perfect. Here I was thinking whether or not I should mention my "Togami is Usami" theory possibility, but Falls Down Stairs neatly already did it for me.

I was trying to come up with a list of all the possible simple explanations when the same thing occured to me. I had a block of text here, but I might just as well just jump to the conclusion.

The main problem here is reduced to whether Togami is amnesiac or not, and whether he's here willingly or not.

Amnesiac + not willing = just another student, unknown to Usami (or Monobear)
Amnesiac + willing = infiltrator, things went not as planned as he was supposed to keep his memories
Not amnesiac + not willing = captured on purpose, but for some reason Togami and Usami (and Monobear) keep quiet about it?
Not amnesiac + willing = infiltrator, things going just as planned (including anticipating Monobear) OR Togami is Usami (or at least her cohort)

Or something like that, I suppose. There's no real evidence for any of these, of course. At least until the next update.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 3, 2013

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I'm not sure there's necessarily a controller behind Monobear (or Monomi, for that matter) this time around. For all we know, they are both Alter Egos. For some added :tinfoil:, Monobear might even be Junko's AE who awakened in the very end of DR1.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

CommissarMega posted:

Don't get me wrong, I think all the above makes Japanese a fascinating language

It's just a kanji homophone joke, technically speaking there might as well be a "baited breath" kind of thing there. There are better reasons to find Japanese interesting.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Rith posted:

and held them himself, so he could presumably have rigged the draw to give himself cleaning duty

With SHSL Good Luck, he obviously doesn't need to rig anything!

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

DeathBySpoon posted:

Isn't the obvious answer that Matsuda is the reason she can't remember anything? Working on a sculpture for a month definitely requires a working memory.

How about Ryouko simply didn't have her current condition back then.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
My plain black bag needed a redesign.

Made with rags, textile glue and shaky hands.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Aww, Togami.

Well, this certainly seems pretty drat premeditated - whether it went just as planned is another question.

- Beeps before the lights went off. Sounds like a timer rather than manual switch-flipping.
- The only person who could really have anticipated that there would be someone in the office - or that someone would be elsewhere in the first place - was Togami who decreed that the case should be guarded. He's the one who ultimately suggested the office, although Nagito did lead the conversation to it.
- Regarding the toilet, "since the party started" sounds to me like the moment people started eating, not since everyone got into the lodge. Peko was already long gone at that point. A secret toilet entrance and skewer-stabbing from under the floorboards sound like a fun solution, but that would take some serious planning that I'm guessing Peko (or anyone but Teruteru and Nagito, really, unless they were sneaking around when neither noticed) couldn't have done. Speaking of which, why would the goggles be on the floor if the killer never otherwise touched Togami?
- The knife wasn't hidden under the table by Togami, he had a duralumin case nobody ever saw inside of. Going by the splatters, there's no way he was killed anywhere but under the table.

Ehhh. I'm not sure why but I'm getting "two separate murderers, at least one succesful" vibes here. At the very least Togami was up to something either sinister or benevolent.

edit: those loving goggles, why isn't he wearing them

tiistai fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 21, 2013

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Skunkrocker posted:

The whole "What are you doing stop" thing. He had his goggles in hand and was trying to put them on when our murderer (wearing their own goggles) attempted to stop him so he couldn't yell out his attacker's name before he died. Then they stashed him under the table with the murder weapon and his goggles to cover the whole thing up.

That's crazy. You're saying he was standing in the dark, putting his goggles on, when someone attacked and killed him then and there? Ignoring how on earth there was no screaming (it's a problem anyway, but I don't remember an instantly working anaesthetic being introduced), there's no blood anywhere except under the table. They'd have to have dragged him under there in the midst of chaos, all the while Togami keeps clutching on to his goggles with his dead fingers, then they'd spray some blood around the tablecloth for good measure.

Or do you mean Togami first dived under the table in the dark, THEN started putting on the goggles?

The only explanations I can think of are 1) they're not Togami's goggles 2) they are, but the murderer deliberately removed them for whatever reason 3) art oversight (god I hope not).

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
There's still a chance that it's a fake murder and Togami's just building up team spirit in his own special way

:unsmith:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

legoman727 posted:

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but do we know what happened to Togami's mystery box? He said he had to protect it with his life, after all, and now there's no sign of it.

It's just offscreen, for sure. No point in wasting narration on a drat box when it'll certainly come up five minutes later in the investigation part anyway.

Also, yeah, the goggles are pretty much the only item shown (so far) that could've been in it along with the key to the other box.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Nice that the game helpfully reminded us of the "traitor" deal, specifically tying Togami to it. Makes it look even likelier that Togami was behind (at least some of) this.

I didn't expect Mahiru to call herself "not that smart".

Stroth posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that sounds really fuckin suspicious?

No, you're not, and it's been brought up a couple of times already.

I just can't take "am I the only one" questions rhetorically

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

TKMobile posted:

I just noticed that Peko said she doesn't do well with crowded places. While it's not EXACTLY the same as being claustrophobic...

It's not "not EXACTLY", it's completely different. People aren't walls.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Here, have a silly cover song. I can't into DAWs, so my mixing skills are non-existent, but I guess it turned out better than I expected anyway.

https://soundcloud.com/tiistai/box-25

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

ferndavant posted:

This is great! I'd be interested more in how you did this, if you'd share? Is it all digital, or did you use some real instruments? Also, I listened to your other track on tindeck...make more music, please?

Everything except the obvious drum machine and the silly midi saxophone and steel drums are real instruments or household items (guitar, melodica, salt shaker etc). As for how, it was about an hour of recording and five hours finding VSTi's, eating lunch, getting distracted by SA and learning how to use Reaper. There's not really much to it, the song itself is quite simple and easy to learn.

I didn't intend to make this about my music, but long story short I do make music but I don't record it very often.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Still thinking it's Togami preparing to prevent murder, Nagito attempting it by means of the glow-in-the-dark knife and the blackout but getting foiled by Togami diving under the table after him, and as the final curveball someone else (Kuzuryuu, Chiaki or Pekopekopeko (e: or Teruteru)) succeeding at the killing with the skewer through the floorboards. Somehow they knew there was going to be an opportunity, I guess. Might even be they actually intended to kill Nagito.

Togami was prepared with the defense equipment including the goggles, so the knife isn't his. Nagito had opportunity to plan the blackout and the knife is clearly related to that, plus he's conveniently standing right next to the table just before lights going out. Assuming the curveball scenario, there's really no one else besides those three four who could be below the floor. The blood splatter on the knife and the location and condition of the body suggest that the knife wasn't the murder weapon, otherwise the culprit would be soaking in blood.

edit:

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

If anything, the blood pattern on the knife suggests that somebody tried to grasp it by its blade and cut themselves. However, a maddening number of the students are wearing gloves/bandages; is anybody trying to cover up an injury?

My guess is Togami. "Ow!"

tiistai fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 27, 2013

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Aesop Poprock posted:

Maybe whoever ended up killing Togami noticed the knife under the table and was prepared to kill Nagito before he could kill any of them

Yeah. Maybe Peko's "Should the worst case come to pass, I shall..." hints at this, although I can't really picture her murdering someone to prevent them from murdering.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

JT Jag posted:

How would they have known that it was specifically Togami that they were stabbing, is probably the point slowbeef is trying to make.

That should be obvious, but I share the confusion as to how that means the killer was trying to get to Pekoyama or Chiaki (who obviously weren't hiding under the table), as opposed to the killer being Pekoyama or Chiaki.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

slowbeef posted:

My point is that it's a LOT of assumption to say the killer knew in advance that Togami had night vision and could see you in the dark.

I'm not sure if anyone suggested that. A culprit was planning on killing someone in the room by planting a knife using glowing tape and causing a blackout. When everything went dark, he reached for the knife, but was unexpectedly noticed by the goggle-wearing Togami ("Oy, what are you doing?!"), who crawled under the table either to follow the culprit or to see what he was trying to find there ("Stop it!!"). This much seems more or less clear to me.

What happened afterwards is the tricky part. Basically I'm thinking the knife-culprit had to give up and leave the knife while Togami was being skewered from below by another person, probably as an unintended victim.

I don't think the would-be culprit was going to kill someone not in the room. Chiaki leaving was unexpected, no way to plan for that. Someone in the office room could maybe have been anticipated if they knew Togami's box needed a guardian, but I don't really see the point in causing a blackout to try and kill the person in the room with the breaker, where someone was bound to go check - not to mention the culprit doesn't seem to have had night vision, so they'd have had to fumble there in the darkness, knife in hand, and then back again before the lights came back on.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

slowbeef posted:

Because now you have Togami seeing someone sneak into the room from under the table. So how is the killer unable to get the knife? It's right there.

I don't know if you misquoted or something since you replied to that bit already, but I don't expect there to be a loose board or an entrance of any kind under the table. If there were and I were planning on sneaking out from there, I'd just put the knife on the ground below the floor where nobody would find it even by accident.

slowbeef posted:

If you're causing a blackout and you can't presumably see, why would you murder someone there? Doesn't it make a lot more sense to go somewhere you can see?

The murderer definitely couldn't see, but if you're, say, Nagito and conveniently standing right next to the table looking at everyone eating, you can probably remember quite well where the people were 15 seconds ago when you've picked up the knife. It's suddenly pitch black, even in panic nobody's going to start running aimlessly around. Except maybe Mikan.

Like I said before, the actual reason Togami died is probably because he was the one who went under the table to check what was going on, not because he was specifically targeted. Maybe somebody figured out the knife culprit's plan and were waiting for them below the floor with a skewer to get the knife. The knife culprit didn't anticipate Togami stopping them, and the skewer culprit might have had no idea whom they were going to kill.

The Chairman posted:

At the same time, Hanamura, with his skewer he hid for self-defense, felt his way into the room but ran into Togami; Hanamura panicked, stabbed Togami multiple times and dropped the skewer, which rolled into the cracks and onto the ground, while Togami tried to get under the table to protect himself, but was too late and bled out.

The table is on the far side of the room. Hanamura would have had to cross the entire room with a skewer. That, and the only blood splatters in the room are under the tablecloth, so unless Togami silently crawled under there and and almost deliberately sprayed some blood around from his 8 stab wounds, I kinda doubt that.

edit: The knife being a setup doesn't sound too bad, but... well, first off, there's no need for there to be an actual knife if it's a setup. Assuming that Togami noticed it thanks to his goggles, just the glowing tape would be enough to draw suspicion. And that assumes you could see a very faint green glow through a tablecloth using night vision. Nope. If someone deliberately drew him under there, they somehow knew he had night vision. If the same person also stabbed Togami in the stomach with the knife, it happened while them both were crawling under the table. That's impossible, so they weren't planning on killing Togami alone, so no need for a knife, and they had an accomplice below the floor.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 28, 2013

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Skunkrocker posted:

You ever been stabbed? Most of the time, it doesn't spray blood out like a scene from some anime.

Cool or not, the tablecloth blood spray looks like an anime scene to me.

You're right about the amount though, but this is the game's way of saying the moment of the murder occured here. Actually, reminds me of the DR1's first murder scene. I remember being kind of annoyed. A single stab wound to the stomach, and pints of blood everywhere. Even behind her.

Obviously it's there to mask the message, but still.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

slowbeef posted:

The only other way it works is if someone saw Nagito plant the knife, and banked on him crawling to retrieve it. I guess.

Yeah, it's what we've been saying. If we're guessing at motives, the only things besides the obvious but lame "I want out of here" would be Pekoyama killing off the killer before they get to act, in a kind of twisted sense of duty or something.

Armanky posted:

At this point I'm waiting for more evidence to pop up. As has been said, we still don't know for certain that there was even space to crawl around under the floorboards to begin with, which this theory absolutely does not work without knowing.

I'd bet on it. The question will be where exactly can you enter the crawlspace. The toilet is looking suspicious.

Skunkrocker posted:

Also, the Nagito-planted-the-knife theory was brought up several times. That being said, it's credible on the account that he was setting up the party. However anyone could have placed that knife under that table when he left to get the carpet.

True. The only real reasons I suspect Nagito specifically is his acting before and after the murder: standing next to the table and adamantly denying anyone killed Togami.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

slowbeef posted:

No it isn't. Maybe it's what you've been saying, but there's a ton of theories out there that all have Togami just happening to crawl under the table for no good reason except "he somehow saw the knife under the table."

I said "we" because I wasn't the only one saying it. Obviously Togami didn't somehow see the knife, he saw someone going under the table and then followed.

There's no chance involved on the killer's part. They saw the knife or more likely someone planting the knife, and then decided to wait under the floor for them to eventually go for the knife. The only thing that happened by chance was Togami ending up as the victim.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Not exactly the behaviour I expected from Nagito. If he orchestrated the blackout, why is he pointing out the irons? If he failed to kill with the knife, why is he being so evasive about the bloody cloth and the boxes? Maybe I've had it the wrong way around, and Nagito was the actual killer who noticed someone planning the blackout and planting the knife. Ehh. It would probably have to be Hanamura, then. The food poisoning could be a way to weaken the potential target or something. It would place Nagito under the floor, but how the hell would he have gotten there?

With the problems that have been pointed out, I wouldn't mind throwing away the crawlspace + skewer theory, but I still can't imagine Togami being killed with the knife. The wounds are just too unnaturally positioned to be knife wounds by someone standing or even lying next to him.

vvv Yeah, I wasn't curious about Nagito pointing out some evidence and withholding other, but what surprised me was which evidence it was. I would have expected him to find the bloody cloth and shut up about the irons.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 3, 2013

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
^^^ We find plot points, Nagito tampers with potential evidence. Everybody wins.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
On another note, I'm hoping we get proper red herring evidence bullets in the game eventually. From what I remember, DR1 didn't have any that were outright misleading, did it? So far the bullets in this case seem legit enough except maybe the fanservice scene and the fire doors, but I suppose those can be worked in somehow.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Nefarious Asparagus posted:

I honestly doubt this will happen due to video game conservation of detail. If I remember correctly, this was the case in Ace Attorney as well. If there are any evidence bullets that ultimately don't have to do with the case, by virtue of the game's structure they'll still be the "right" choice at some point because for whatever reason the game needs you to draw a false conclusion to progress. Unless that's what you meant?

It's doubtful, yeah, hence "hoping". The reason being that as it is, you can draw conclusions from the bullets themselves. It's meta territory.

And no, I did mean evidence that misleads the player, not the main character. Bullets that won't ever be the right answer, but seem like they could be.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
TWEWY was my first instinct as well for the RPG title.

I'm glad they denied entering under the floor from outside, makes things simpler. I'm assuming we can also take Nanami and Kuzuryuu meeting as an alibi for them both, which pretty much leaves Pekoyama and Teruteru as the stabber suspects. Nagito keeps on confirming suspicions by leading us to a letter he probably sent himself and immediately dismissing it's from the killer. He didn't manage to kill anyone himself, after all.

Actually, though, the letter itself is interesting in figuring out the motive. Gloating about a murder beforehand doesn't seem like a smart move. What was the point in sending it, and why to Togami? Was the sender really serious, and if not, why the knife? Did they somehow anticipate what Togami would do and/or use that to their advantage?

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Gotta say I was a little disappointed that we couldn't check the bathroom, even if it's not relevant to the murderer. Teruteru is looking a likelier suspect each update.

I started wondering why he spoke aloud in the first place if he was under the floorboards and then not show up when the lights come back on, but, yeah, Monobear did that. Maybe Teruteru was actually planning on sneaking inside the room after the deed was done to make it seem like he had been there since he spoke up, but thanks to Monobear's seemingly deliberate (as he saw the whole deal) interference he didn't make it in time and just prayed that nobody would notice.

If so, I think it's another clear difference from the old Monobear's behaviour.

edit: Also, it did occur to me before that Monobear might have sent the letter, but I dismissed it initially. Now, maybe he did.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Sketching random stuff. This one is relevant here and it didn't turn out terrible, so yeah.

• Locked thread