Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I never understood why they even gave Mondo the whole big brother back story, he didn't need it. A much easier ending would be to say that Mondo was overcome when Chihiro revealed hImself and wanted to protect him from Monobear revealing his secret, so he killed him. That would make sense to a stressed out teenager in the middle of Japan's answer to the hunger games.

I might actually say the fry pot death was the most gruesome, just because I don't think I cold ever stand being fried alive. (Not that I'd actually want to be pelted with baseballs or anything.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

TheHawkeyedOne posted:

Better question: How can she BE a Super *HIGH SCHOOL* Level Nurse? Nurses need degrees. As in College. So... she really shouldn't be a Nurse if she's still in High School. Maybe Super High School Level First Aid, but not Nurse... Just my opinion.

This is something that I keep wondering: when I was in high school, I was totally a Super High School Level bass player, but even my dumb 14 year old rear end knew I didn't have poo poo on a pro. Some of the specialties like 'mechanic' make sense, they're technical and based on knowledge, but 'dancer' or 'cook' take years and years to get right.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
You don't even know how much I love bunnies. (See: my username.) My own bunny is spoiled rotten, you should spoil the poo poo out of this bunny too.

If the itty baby puff binky wants mineral water than the itty baby puff binky should get mineral water. :colbert:

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Miss Kalle posted:

I'm assuming it has to do with Bean Bunny from the Muppets.

Yup, that's me.

I want to show off, I needed a few tee shirts for screwing around this summer, so I got creative:

EDIT: How safe is it to Google or GIS DR1 characters? Will that come up with DR2 spoilers? Surely not, but this series, man, this series.

Bean fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 29, 2013

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
It's possible Monobear just said "gently caress it" and gave them Polybius. :v:

Another thought I had, that little bunny tamagotchi minigame? It would be hilarious if that somehow determined the ending we got, like letting the little guy die gave you the bad end or something.

Bean fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 3, 2013

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

CandyCrazy posted:

I have to wonder if Nagito stealing the vote again is just people realizing he'll be unavailable or if people are actually voting for him without reading.

I voted that way.

Okay, I can't remember the names, so I go back to the first post a lot to make sure I don't gently caress up, and this time I noticed something: Fatagami doesn't have fat hands. His wrists are normal sized, too. Yamada had fat hands, so it's not like this artist isn't familiar with the concept. It's probably an art mistake, but is it possible Togami was just in some kind of fat suit? Maybe so Monobear didn't recognize him?

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Suzuki Method posted:

Just got Animal Crossing New Leaf today and the first pattern I made was Nanami's outfit. Came out cute.

:stare: I'm gonna need that QR code.

I don't have the game yet, so I can't make any, but any Dangan Ronpa Animal Crossing costumes would rule, really.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

psychoticBacofoil posted:

No, it's pretty clear that F-Suke is Kuzuryuu and the dead girl was his sister. Because F-Suke was the only male in the entire game and wanted revenge for his sister's murder.

But F-Suke could be Kuzuryuu's brother is what the poster is saying, leaving Kuzuryuu uninvolved.

zetsubous posted:

Have we ever had an evidence bullet that was completely irrelevant, though? Jesus, even that stupid fanservice thing with Mikan ended up being relevant.

Were Kirigiri's gloves an evidence bullet? Those wound up going nowhere.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Patter Song posted:

10 bucks...a month? Oh nooo I owe Lowtax over 300 dollars in delinquent payments.

Son, look at my regdate. I may as well just mortgage my house.

I like the guy who think Slowbeef makes a living off this site. I wonder if he majored in forum modding in school? You probably have to go to an ivy leage place to be a mod of something so elite. :allears:

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I'm almost ready to say that this is the first trial they mess up (let's pretend that Akane did it because she's covered in blood and can get out the window with Nidai's help) and the rest of the game is them running from Monobear. That would be a hell of a twist, anyway.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
We know that Peko can bullshit, she may be bullshitting about this tool stuff. She might have just seen a way to get Kuzuuryu off the island and took it, hoping Monobear would take the bait and graduate him. Kuzu may be thinking the same way, since he tried to stick up for her during the trial. This all depends on either them being friends or having anime feelings for each other, though. I still don't think that he explicitly ordered the hit, I think she just took initiative.

Another idea might be that she killed gangster's sister and feels so bad that she figured she'd try this tool bullshit to graduate him. Since she'd die either way, she wouldn't have to deal with the guilt any longer.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Wait, how the hell is Kuzuyuu a super high school level gangster if he wusses out of a hit and can't control his own hitman? Is Hope's Peak hurting for attendance?

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Monobear saying that Nagito made him think of "him" probably means Naegi, which then probably means that this isn't a prequel.

I'd love to see Monomi become less useless as the story went on. It would be crazy if someone from DR1 was controlling her. I guess personality wise she's like Aoi, but it would be just like Togami or Syo to fake a personality like that. (It would be fun if it were Naegi, but I don't think he has the stones.)

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
What about the timeline? I feel like we can definitively say that DR2 happens sometime after DR1, but is it like fifteen minutes or fifty years after? Another possibility is that they're occurring concurrently, and Naegi et all will pop out of the ruins after defeating their Monobear.

Where did Monobear get the Monobeasts? Do they figure into the plot?

And, most pressing: the hell with that virtual bunny game? I'm waiting for that to tie into the final solution or something crazy.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

zetsubous posted:

Can you clarify why (assuming Togami is not the same Togami) this couldn't be happening before DR1? I don't think I've seen anything yet that absolutely proves that.

In the last update, Monobear says Nagito reminds him of Naegi, so they've already met each other. (Likely Monobear's already heard him say a bunch of stuff about hope over dispair too.)

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Endorph posted:

That still doesn't discredit the 'what, again' when Pekoyama tries to play serial killer. Those are his exact words.

One possibility is that this takes place at around the same time as the first game, though. Syo's reveal happened in Chapter 2 as well.

That's one possibility I was entertaining: it's possible that DR1 just ended, like, five minutes after DR1's second trial or something, and DR2 isn't going on totally concurrently, but just askew.

I have no idea how that makes Togami factor in, though. The simplest might be to just say that DR1's already ended, in that case.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw the closet and thought, "Welp, the next murder will have something to do with the light control panel, the weapon will be a guitar, and the body will be found nude and covered in stickers."

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

alcharagia posted:

YOU SURF DOWN YOUR OWN BRAIN?! gently caress THAT!! REAL MEN SURF DOWN THE ANNALS OF THEIR MUSCLEEEEEEEEEEES!

I SURF WHILE TAKING A SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Have a safe trip!

I know this is crazy, but I'm super excited about all the updates you prepared. I look forward to Dangan Ronpa to kick of my weekend, so thank you so much!

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Gensuki posted:

Is a 3-3-7 beat significant? That sounds familiar for some reason.

I'm assuming it's just beat beat beat rest, beat beat beat rest, beat beat beat beat beat beat beat rest. Hot cross buns, if you will. It's pretty common.

Unless Ubuki was standing there changing meters on everyone, which she'd be capable of doing, but.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
No wonder Ibuki hates bass players, the bass was the best part of that.

:colbert:

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

kaleidolia posted:

I was thinking Rob Paulsen, but that works.

Dang, that's a really good idea. That might be my new favorite one.

I was cool with all the kid voices, but I'm totally not picky and anyway I can't remember much about the individual original VAs. It would have been hilarious to get the lady who dubbed Shinji back, though.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Van Dine posted:

This slipped my mind before, but there's one more big piece of support for the VR theory, and that's that as far as I can remember, none of the kids this time have remarked upon their bodies being strange or different in some way. Sakura and Kirigiri both picked up on that in DR1, although the other athletic types in that game didn't.

This is particularly notable because the DR1 kids were from the 78th Hope's Peak class, and the 77th class was the one Matsuda from DR0 was from. The DR2 class is likely to be from an earlier year, which means that they must have lost more years of their memory than the 78th class did.

If the DR2 class have really lost several years, it's puzzling that not even Nidai has remarked on his body being different. Also...there's the issue of Gundam's hamsters and their lifespans.

Togami didn't have anything to say either. :v:

(I am dying to know that explanation.)

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Would it be possible that Tsumiki caught despair fever, which then motivated her to kill Komada and sleep on(/"with") Hinata? Turning her into a killer and an, uh, attention seeker would be out of character for her. Maybe Komada was even whispering that he was almost a victim.

Of course, despair fever seems to drastically change people, so maybe it would be more obvious if she was sick.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Wait, it just hit me: isn't Nidai stuck in the hospital too? He might be too sick to murder, but he could be murder bait.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Duh, he flexes his pecs and fires the shrapnel lodged in his chest by the bazooka shell back at someone when they come visit his hospital room :rolleyes:.

I'm wondering if it's not actually a disease, Monobear's just drugged a few of them. The fear of getting infected being enough to drive someone to murder/DESPAIR.

Do you think there's a correlation between despair fever and Monobear's movie? We know Nagito saw it, maybe Ibuki and Akane did too. Maybe Monobear's movie does something to induce despair fever. ... or maybe he just drugs the popcorn.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
It's possible the kid making the money comment is just being a poo poo. Hinata could be a Super High School Level Deity and there would be someone in the world who would still call Hope's Peak a waste.

Still betting Tsumiki is our despair-infected murderer.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I thought DR0 implied that Hope's Peak was a facility where they studied talent. If that's true, it's to the scientist's advantage to find the best, regardless of background or ability to pay. To their eyes, it's just as advantageous to study Togami, who's the best at having mad cashmoneyrecords, as it is to study Owari, even if they had to pluck her out of a trailer park. In pure terms of the study, privilege shouldn't be a consideration.

I have no idea how SHSL luck plays into that one, though.

What would be interesting in DR3 is to see an obviously poor as poo poo kid in the Hope's Peak class.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Are we totally sure that's hair and not a shadow? 'Cause I could see Owari hanging herself. ... but I doubt they would do a suicide twice, so who knows.

I can't see Monomi on the bag.

EDIT: Wait, poo poo, just saw the video. The nails are painted, that's Mioda. Dang girl, I loved you, but I knew you were murder bait. :(

Bean fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 22, 2014

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Re the pupils: obviously it's a sign that everyone is everyone else's twin. :v:

Another thing about Saionji: did she learn to tie her obi? Did Koizumi teach her how to tie it, or did she ever get the chance, or did it sink in? Because if she's running around next update without her kimono, we'll know who was in the robe.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I think the pillar thing is just bad art, not anything important. (Saijioni also looks taller to me in the video, GASP IS SHE REALLY SOMEONE'S OLSEN TWIN?)

But, it's possible the bigger pillar was really a curtain (or wallpaper?) set up around Saijioni. The curtain would give the killer enough space to hide a body. Hinata wouldn't have noticed the curtain looking odd because he was too busy with the dead body in the room. Hell, it would grab my attention. All the killer had to do was wait for Hinata to leave, drop the curtain, maybe ditch it somehow, and then lock the doors.

Of course, I have no idea why they'd do that. There's a lot of why in this case.

(Hey orenronen, thanks for two updates this week!)

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Wait, do we know the Monomi bags are unique? I thought Monobear was only talking about the bear versions. I don't even think he'd stoop so low as to make other tote bags.

Another cast member could have bought a bag before Hinata saw it, but that still doesn't prove that the Monomi bag is unique.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I have a question about the game: do they have to prove the how or just the who?

Like, if they get to the trial room, Hinata's just like, "gently caress it, Sonia did it," and everyone agrees and Sonia confesses, does Monobear take that?

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I was at DragonCon, and saw someone dressed as Aoi. I told her I liked her costume, and that I was on chapter 2 of DR2. She literally replied with, "Oh, right, where Peko is the killer!"

What I'm saying is, the only way to remain unspoiled is to live in an underground bunker with no Internet access.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Maybe Saijoni planned to kill Ibuki first and succeeded. (Maybe she wanted to get rid of the sick?) She's the one who set up the video and everything. Maybe Mikan walked in on it and flipped out, then killed Saijioni so that no one knew she didn't protect a patient?

The only thing that doesn't jive is that Mikan should know better than to string a body up. Saijioni might have done it out of theatrics, but I think Mikan would know to ditch a body in the ocean.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

TKMobile posted:

If Saionji was in fact Ibuki's killer, then it's consistent, albeit kind of horrible for her character development. Her only friend gets killed on the arguably accidental order of the yakuza kid, everyone gives him some level of sympathy thereafter and at best pity Saionji herself (and/or don't appreciate her attempt to honor Koizumi's memory) so from there she gets it into her head that it's everyone for themselves on the island. Trust no one. She says as much. And with the virus going around, it's moreso apparent to someone in her state of mine that the only way out is to kill somebody. This would account for how she got out of the motel--of her own volition.

Mikan, on the other hand, has been desperately trying to keep all the invalids alive or in care all this time to the point of exhaustion. She's had, what, between two and four days to construct any sort of murder set up, but if most of that time was actually spent tending to her charges, then it becomes that much harder to buy that she was plotting anything or killed two people. Killing one person, on the other hand, as a spur of the moment affair, makes much more sense.

If Saionji had been setting up some sort of fake suicide-- She makes it look like Ibuki kills herself and then sits back while everyone assumes such during the trial-- only to be killed, then someone must have discovered her after Ibuki died and decided to do something about it.

Mikan's been resolutely watching over her patients, she got the fever at some point, and if she noticed Ibuki missing and looked inside the Music Club and saw Saionji setting all this poo poo up... SPECIFICALLY Saionji, her biggest, cruelest tormenter setting up her *now*dead*patient*... then that something was very drastic, indeed.

This is pretty good theory (despite my own utterance not to look into motivations) but it all boils down to this: How was this poo poo set up? It's pretty clear that Ibuki was the original target for any killing; all the effort was put into setting up her 'suicide' whereas Saionji's not face down on the floor with a knife in her hands, nor is there any video of her attempting suicide. The plan was all along to set Ibuki up.

This all boils down to the equipment and the set pieces. If the video equipment is idiot proof, then we need to look for Mikan to give herself away and/or clues to how Saionji set up the initial stuff, but if this poo poo requires someone like Souda to even operate, then we need to rethink how it could have gone down...

You know what I realized fits nicely with this? Saionji's dress. Saionji dressed in the hospital robe, filmed the video, did the deed. Mikan walks in on the just-completed murder, flips, slits Saionji's throat, flips again, and dresses her hastily, tying the obi wrong.

It's even possible that Saionji killed Ibuki, then hid when Hinata discovered the body. When Hinata ran out, Mikan may have run in and killed Saionji (maybe in a struggle, maybe in some sort of rage out over YOU KILLED MY PATIENT)

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Maybe the killer killed Saionji just as Ibuki walked in, and the killer didn't think they could keep Ibuki quiet. (All Hinata would have to do during the trial would be to order her to say who the killer was.) Thus, they killed Ibuki.

Or they got Saijioni first and just felt real murdery, so they tried to clean the blood off the floor and hide Saijioni behind the column. When they lured Ibuki in, everything seemed less suspicious? That one's a reach, but I can't think of another explanation for the blood cleaning.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

kidcoelacanth posted:

Well boo and heck :mad:

I'm in the same boat. GameStop has used vitas that I might get in on eventually. (If they made a Monobear vita, I'd sell organs. :stare:)

Of course, DR was also released on iOS, I don't see why they wouldn't release it over here for iOS.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
This has bugged me since DR1: how does Monobear think he's going to prevent more deaths? Would he kill the killer before they succeeded? Or does he just throw some giant cartoon "no one dies" switch, so Hinata could choke someone all he wanted but not kill them? (Something something VR theory.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Honestly, I think the people who are going to buy it will buy it and the people who won't won't. I don't see Oren's translation having a negative impact on sales -- if anything he's probably going to sell more copies of the game. I know I'm going to grab a vita and copies of DR1 and DR2 when I can afford them because of this thread. I think if anyone's not going to buy a copy of the game, Oren stopping would just lead them to read another translation.

I like reading DR along with other goons, though, so I'm biased.

• Locked thread