Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
As someone who has lurked both the first thread and now this one and am very much in love with the games and appreciative of the massive amounts of work that is going on for free in here - I think the improvement in the dialogue and overall flow of the translation is vastly improved with Fedule on board. It was always lovely before, but now it's obvious that someone isn't just thinking about what information to get across but how to best phrase it. That is undeniable. But I also find the translation notes to be way too much - on the whole they made me start thinking not about the game narrative, or the tricky job of translation, but whether or not a line I was reading was really present in the game, or whether or not Fedule had added it, or if oren would have let it in if it was added, etc.

The solution to that was simple - I don't read the translation notes anymore, and people who enjoy them can read them. But I completely agree that the the notes within the updates themselves (which I can't really avoid) take me out of the narrative just as sharply. Oren's interjections generally provide depth to a topic, or explain a nuance of something I wouldn't understand because I'm not Japanese. Fedule's are more of a Greek chorus, doing the reacting to something that I would prefer to be doing myself. If the translation notes are like the author explaining every chapter why his character said "yellow" instead of "red", the inline notes are like having someone sitting next to you while you're reading poking you and saying "Did you notice this? Did you notice this?" It's doing my reacting, my audiencing, for me.

But let me say that I'm really enjoying DR2 as much as I enjoyed DR1, and I'm getting it all for free, so in the end everyone involved can do it however the hell they would like. I just wanted to provide the perspective of someone who thinks a lot (maybe too much) about the way stories are told. I wouldn't have said anything at all if it weren't materially affecting my enjoyment of the actual game updates themselves. The fact that I care at all, or that I currently have both 800 theories and 0 theories at the same time, means that this story is being told very well, from the original down to the translation. So thank you!

Sophia fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

I agree that I'm enjoying Hinata's character as a protagonist more as well - he has a more realistic frustrated anger and also that slight temptation to / fear he will kill unlike Naegi did, and I like that. Slightly more complicated of a character type, as befits a sequel. And as a cynic, I can relate!

I don't know if this is too meta considering it is a sequel game, but the fact that Monobear's rules already include a bunch of rules he only thought up in the middle of the first game would seem to imply this is not a prequel but actually takes place in game time after the first game. Which I kind of hope is true because it makes the story more interesting from a narrative perspective. But I could also just be way off the deep end and reading into things that aren't supposed to be read into.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

slowbeef posted:

Plus, keep in mind that happened during Monobear Theater in which, at least in the first game, he directly talks to the player. I don't think the students actually ever see or are aware of Monobear Theater - it's specifically for us.

Yes, but as someone said this could be construed (in hindsight) as him talking to the supposed in-game TV audience. This was, as far as I can remember, the first time he actually spoke to the audience specifically as a group of people playing a video game.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

Dragoon Cody posted:

she hasn't shown any trait that would make her better than any other princess at anything.

The first time Hinata met her he talked about how spell-binding she was, and just in the last update we saw how she changed the mind of the red-headed girl, who was very very angry, merely with a few lines of dialogue, without making her hate her or even feel that put out. In fact she almost liked her more for not agreeing with what she was very riled up to do. That is definitely not easy and is probably her superpower - persuasion, charm and charisma.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

I've really gone on a roller coaster with Gundam, first thinking he was neat, then thinking he was kind of dumb, now going back around to awesome again. What a weirdo.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

HangedManArcana posted:

All right, here's a full listing of the evidence bullets, including any edits that were made to them during the investigation. The only thing that's really a "Ok what the heck?" here is still Tsumiki's pose. Some of these are clear as to how they can be used, but seriously, the fanservice pose makes no sense. The map that the photographer (Koizumi?) made would make sense as a bullet though.

My guess, if it turns out to be used at all, is that Hanamura will comment on it in a casual way and it will be the final, decisive proof that he was seeing in the room even though he was not there, just after all hope seems lost in the trial in proving it.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

Thank you to HelloWinter for the absolutely wonderful subbed videos (and the translators of course as well). That was great, really made the trials more interesting to watch, for me at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

I really like the theory that Nagito was going to kill himself. It seemed pretty obvious to me that in the trial he was both trying to get them to give up (and die) while also making himself look way more suspicious in case they didn't give up (to have them pick the wrong murderer and die) but I couldn't figure out what his beginning plan was to get everyone killed. The suicide theory is very elegant.

I think he didn't immediately pin himself as the murderer because having them give up in the name of hope and love in each other would be far more despair-joyful than just having them be duped and wrong.

• Locked thread