Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Ariamaki posted:

That one always struck me as well-covered by "dummy". It gets the concept across, and works well when trying to explain the whole boke / tsukkomi routine as "the dummy and the straight-man".

For gently caress's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

codeorange posted:

Hanamaru's character is pretty drat believable to me, as I was once friends with someone in highschool who was just as perverted and immature when it came to woman as he was. We parted ways after year 9 when the school we were going to closed down. The last I heard of him that he literally tried to do anything to impress girls, including doing pushups in front of them and saying "ladies :smug:". He wasn't a bad guy at all however. And yes, he did obsess over his hair now that I remember it. Hanamaru would be the most pathetic character in the game if nothing else.

Yeah, people need to remember that guys like Hanamaru not only exist but are pretty common out there in the world. In general, goons gettin' mad about sex being mentioned at all is pretty distressingly par for the course.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

lotus circle posted:

She plotted to and would have succeeded if Leon wasn't faster and it was pretty clear she wanted to frame Naegi for it :v: Heck the game even tried to paint Leon as a victim of the situation, until Celes pointed out that he could have just left Maizono in the bathroom alive. I'm hoping this time the first murder won't be "oh someone had to kill due to a situation" and we actually get someone who would be ok with getting rid of everyone else just to escape.

We really need an emoticon for just slowly passing your hand over your head. I feel like that's a niche that needs filling.

Anyway I can't overstate how much I'm looking forward to Cholesterogami. Oren's playing games with our emotions saving him for last, since I'm assuming with the hub style you can meet these clumps of dudes in whatever order.

I hope the twist is that the Togamis had five sons and then named them all Byakuya so that they'd develop good, healthy personality syndromes.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Lethemonster posted:

I'm enjoying the story in the DR0 segments but the way it's written isn't too great. The tenses seem to clash alot, and it doesn't read very naturally at all.

Translated Japanese literature is just... kind of like that in my experience. I picked up Battle Royale because it's one of those buzzword titles that floats around all the time and it was really hard to read after going through the Anglicization mill.

I'm in total agreement, though. I'm a little bit of a writer, for what its worth, and DR0 is just super-alien and jarring to me. Nothing's paced the same and there's a whole lot of short, blunt sentences. It almost feels like it's written for a child (despite all the horrible murdering).

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Yeah that was definitely too much fourth-wall breaking. It loses its punch if you just kind of do it all the time.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Fedule posted:

We don't actually know a drat thing about Mukuro Ikusaba other than what she said or let slip when masquerading as Junko. And even then, we don't know what her game was, or what she knew, or the extent of her involvement in SHSL Despair, or even whether she was actually antagonistic to the group. One thing's for sure: she sure didn't expect Junko to decide to kill her. What else wouldn't she have expected?

She also spoke pretty confidently that at least most of them were going to get out, not to mention the conversation with Naegi about how she wanted to try new things (read: stop being a soldier). My read on Mukuro is that she was /just about/ to turn over a new leaf and settle down in a nice, less shooting-people kind of thing, and was pretty much duped by Junko into coming along for the express purpose of being killed so that she could 'feel the despair' of murdering her own sibling.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

A bunch of people posted:

Hiyoko's totally just this wacky cute kid trying to be scary!

Meanwhile, in the background, Hiyoko stomps up and down on every crab she can see until they're a fine paste, childlike glee sparkling across her face.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I'm going to have to accept that I'm just never going to get used to the Japanese writing style. I can see that it's coherent but I can't help but parse it as a mess all over the place.

Meanwhile, I really can't wait to see Sonia in a trial. She's got an interesting combination of naivete about the micro things and a cold understanding of the macro that's going to have her bringing a real unique perspective on things.

likecnsnnts posted:

Ah, so the levels of moderation go Probation -> Ban -> Public Shame

It's more like Public Shame -> Probation -> Public Shame -> Ban -> Public Shame -> 100,000 Hour Probation.

Think of it like rolling down a hill covered in mud in front of everyone you ever thought was cool and the hill just gets steeper and steeper.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Only in the Dangan Ronpa 2 thread could a huge sprawling mess of people talking about a theory with no information to back it up be caused by the forum mod telling people to stop going on an on about a theory with no information to back it up.

Chapter loving 1.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Cornwind Evil posted:

Oh, you poor, stupid, STUPID bastard. You really don't have a clue do you? You might be a SHSL Gangster, but I doubt you've ever shed a drop of blood, let alone taken a life. You have underlings for that. Your life has probably been nothing but learning how to posture and perform, to project the image of merciless power. But you're too young to have killed your soul yet, child. I can see it in your ultra-aggressive loner, wannabe badass attitude. I suspect that even if you did try to kill someone, you wouldn't be able to go through with it. Your life is too much talk and not enough walk.

What you've done, instead, is muddy the waters. To give an opening to someone who is colder, crazier, more desperate to commit a murder. Because after all, isn't a gangster the perfect suspect? After a threat like THAT? You just made it EASIER for someone to potentially graduate, and guess what? THAT SOMEONE IS NOT YOU.

I honestly expect Kuzuryuu to come up as a red herring after every single case he survives after that, if he didn't just kill himself by frightening one of the more unstable or potentially blackly deep characters.

This post is really weird. You know that the game is coded and done, and talking directly to the imaginary people inside it won't accomplish anything, right?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

HangedManArcana posted:

Yeah, it's sort of like when someone yells at the screen in a horror movie "You idiot! Don't open the door!" Or stuff like that. It's part of the immersion of the game.
As an added bonus, that is really good logic to Kuzuryu's character. Nice going cornwind- I really like your analysis of why he'd never actually kill. I really don't think he'd be able to graduate for that reason. He doesn't have any minions to send to kill, and even if he did, the one who actually kills would be the one who graduates in that circumstance.

The analysis is based on nothing. We've had very little insight into his character except that A) he is willing to tell 15 people that he is willing to kill them, but B) is apparently intelligent enough to back down when faced with Togami's overwhelming body.

That's all we know.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

He is a cook. He's not really full of himself as he explained he just thinks Chef sounds better, he likely does not know the meaning of the word chef or what they do.

The super-high school level cook probably knows the difference between a cook and a chef.

Keep in mind he's not saying '<japanese word for cook> sounds way less dignified than <japanese word for chef>'. He's just saying 'chef'.

Is there a difference in the Japanese language/culinary culture between cook and chef?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

curiousCat posted:

It seems clear that the air conditioner was used to overload the circuit breaker? Which... is another strike against Nagito.

I think it'd be an interesting twist if Nagito was an accomplice, but not the perpetrator, of every single murder. I'm not going to even try to fathom why he'd be that way outside of being this cast's plant for Despair, it'd just be interesting from a story perspective.

muike posted:

I'd agree with you about the blood pattern poo poo if it was a picture of a real dead dude and not an artistic representation of a fat murdered anime.

This game's pretty good about visual details actually mattering. It looks more like Togami just kind of bled all over the knife he was attempting to retrieve as opposed to being stabbed with it - the murderer definitely got him from under the floorboards. I'm liking Teruteru for it (though I think he's loving hilarious) - he's not in any of the pictures, looks like he might be small enough to wiggle around under the floorboards, and has a convenient 'I was cooking' alibi that I don't think anyone can prove or disprove as things stand right now.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be nearly as much useless chaff this time around, just things like Souda being wrong, Gundam occasionally being a wizard, and Ibuki's Ibukiing.

I was actually surprised by how calm and logical Gundam's showing himself to be. He's so nuts it looped right back around. I'm excited to see any other new mechanics in the vein of the counterargument swordfight.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

loquacius posted:

Uh. Yeah, I guess? I wasn't talking about the blue text, just the points where (and I quote) "other people in the trials are capable of disputing your points." Counterargument Showdowns, as I am now reminding myself they are called. It is not literally impossible for anyone else to ever say something right, no. (That wasn't true in DR1 either.) Just when they disagree with the player avatar.

I would not be surprised if somewhere way down the line a Counterargument ends with the other party actually being correct. Now that we have the mythical power of 'agreeing', the world is possible.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I'm glad that the timbre of DR2's story is going to be dramatically different from DR1's.

Because, you know, it's still impossible for Nagito to have killed Togami, even though he is the villain.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Cornwind Evil posted:

Until we get more details about how and why Nagito is nuts, then yes, it seems like he might very well have indirectly caused all this because...well, see for yourself. He contradicts himself, encourages everyone to just give up and die, that it would be better to die than accuse your friends...in the end, he might be doing all this because he's batshit insane and that might as well be no reason, because there's 'no reason' in it.

He's the Despair or some variation on it, which is almost 'is insane' but puts at least some kind of rationality in it. I don't think he's the Monobear controller, I think something deeper is going on there, but I'm absolutely certain Nagito intentionally set the stage for someone to get murdered and is going to continue to try and do that from here on in. The openly antagonistic presence is really going to punch the story up a fuckload of notches.

Remember, being an accomplice only serves no point if you're actually concerned with whether or not you live or die.

EDIT: Don't buy slowbeef a DR avatar, we torture him enough :negative:

Patware fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 25, 2013

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Armanky posted:

I think they meant this as a reason for him going down into the crawlspace in the first place, not so much the murder itself (which has been clearly established as having taken place on the floorboards).

If Nagito didn't have a chat with him, I can buy that he wanted underneath so he could potentially get a... um, better view, of the party. I do, however, think the skewer was taken with the intent to kill, since an innocent reason like poking holes in the carpet would still be extremely dangerous and wouldn't really let him see anything anyway.

Apparently it's really cramped down there, and the skewer was pretty big. Any hole he made he'd probably be right next to, and right here is when I realized we are now legitimately discussing the viability of Hanamura just scrambling around under the cabin creepin' like a master and I got sad. It's worth mentioning that his ego would still get soothed because you can probably hear everything down there.

I'm coming on the camp of 'Hanamura lost his poo poo when he saw Byakuya Fisher from below', though I'll admit the bloody tablecloth weakens the case. I doubt Hanamura threw that on to go peeping so that nobody would recognize him, because come on.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Spatula City posted:

I don't really recall anything that supports the idea that Hanamura was in the crawlspace for a reason other than murder. I am completely certain that this was premeditated on Hanamura's part, that he did mean to kill someone, and meant also to get away with it.

'He is a huge pervert.' It's not like a sidejoke with him, it's so all-encompassing that I can see it completely motivating all kinds of actions on his part.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Polsy's down or something, and I can't get at the videos. Does anyone have direct links to Youtube?

And it'd be pretty cool if those were just in the posts along with the polsy, I personally click right through because I don't feel like resizing windows.

EDIT: Never mind, started working as soon as I complained, as that is the way of the Internet. My second line still stands, though

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Groghammer posted:

If you click on the "Fill Browser Window" button below the video on Polsy, it'll change the dimensions of the video to exactly fit your current browser window.

I feel like DR2 looks a little bit like rear end blown up to my whole monitor. Youtube's 'large' is pretty much the ideal size for me.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That case was really good, I hope all of them are up to that standard.

I think that Naegi channeling Junko (a thing which was established as possible in the first game with Ishida) would be better writing than "this is a new character we've never seen before who's imitating a living and a dead character from the previous game just to gently caress with you, the player". Apart from anything else the game really has to tell us what happened to the rest of the cast from DR1, and having them appear in the game would be the easiest way to do that.

I'll be honest, as awesome an idea as Ishida was, from a storytelling standpoint and what was actually done with it it was a hot mess. There's no real evidence he didn't just go super-insane and I don't recall a whole hell of a lot happening that wouldn't've happened without the Ishida bit.

I'd be perfectly happy not seeing the 'channeling' thing happen again. Also the 'imitation' thing is basically pure meta, when Nagito starts doing things he's a dramatically different character from both Naegi and Junko. All that stuff was just setup for the Trial 1 'oh he's loving batshit' reveal.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Calico Heart posted:

Hellowinter does it again! I really enjoy how the characters each still manage to have their own "logo" (the tie, the book, the pastry bag), even though they're in uniform.

Man oh man, this is a thing of beauty. Can't think of a good title to go beneath though. Perhaps just UNCONTROLLABLE. would work nicely. I can;t remember anu of his best quotes right now. I wish I had the :10bux: to spare, TGT has kind of left a sour taste in my mouth now.

I think the image stands out perfectly fine on its own without a quote or anything beneath it. There's already text! That text is fine.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I think the big NO symbol in Hinata's eyes is just an art quirk, it's not the first time the artist has done some weird eye poo poo (celes and ishimaru's red eyes, coach's thunder eyes).

Radian Angle posted:

She raped him before erasing his memory and had her forgetful successor (who she's prepping in DR0 by removing the last thing that ties her to the world) carry the child.
Junko is going to be the ever present jigsaw of the series (who in turn is Junko's father, she didn't die as a child but was kidnapped by a japanese child napping gang, her sister was adopted).

I wonder what the record on probations in one thread is?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Just because they're in a ridiculous simulated hologram island doesn't mean they're not actually putting skewers through each other's chests.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

slowbeef posted:

No offense, but I think a lot of people are reading too much into this. It's pretty clearly a joke. Whether it's in poor taste or not is a different discussion, but it's kind of a one-off.

Her stepdad's into her (ew) and giving her full-body massages and the joke is that Akane's too naive to get why. It's kinda self-evident, and Hinata's response falls right in line with it.

Reading Too Much Into Things with Super Dangan Ronpa 2

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

If it's not one thing, it's another. Do we really need pages and pages of hue and cry every time something like this happens? The sensible thing to do is to just PM a top-level moderator about the ads and see what they have to say - popping off repeatedly in the thread is going to do nothing but fill it with annoying poo poo for people to scroll through wondering if there's anything of substance yet.

I can't wait for six posts from now where someone comes in to talk about a banner ad spoiler without reading the thread to see that everyone is already in lunatic histrionics about it.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Bisensual posted:

I'll admit a lot of the posts on this page were rather text heavy and I didn't even really skim them. Is that speculation or genuine arguments over a Japanese game that features a talking bear pitting students against each other Battle Royale style?

What's going on in this thread?!

When you're down here with us, you'll float too.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Bisensual posted:

Stumbled upon this beauty on tumblr and decided to share it with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGEEfqzKDCs

I find it to be top notch quality.

I've never seen someone try so hard so many times so rapidly.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Ratoslov posted:

I would read Jhonen Vasquez's Danganronpa comic adaption. AKA Monobear The Homicidal Maniac.

And ladies and gentlemen, that's the thread.

Gonna take some pictures, Oren? It seems interesting.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

^^^^^^ Jesus Christ.

Ytlaya posted:

Actually, my guess is that Nidai was massaging Owari (in a non-sexual way obviously). It's something that would feel really good and also be reasonable for a coach-like figure to do to an athlete.

They're sparring. Come on.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Galm posted:

GODDAMNIT.

Whatever you do, do not try to google "Dangan Ronpa 2".

Even the goddamn previous searches are a goddamn spoiler. :argh:

Why doesn't anyone ever loving learn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

mick foley forever posted:

Wanna hear Something Awful?

...prejudiced...no online forum is supposed to be that realistic...prejudiced...prejudiced...hateful ignorance...

I long for death. Both mine and tumblr's.

Mikan's guilty, but I can't begin to imagine how aside from issuing an order to Ibuki. Story-wise it doesn't make sense for anyone else to be the killer.

• Locked thread