Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Just caught up on the thread and something's been bothering me.

Why are all the reds incredibly pixelated? This doesn't happen with any other colors. The game is definitely hi-res enough for this to not happen, so I'm wondering what's going on here. And it doesn't seem that the pixelating happens with red eyes (Peko's) or red mouths (pretty much every character with an open mouth). It might just be a thing with ascots, but Ibuki's hot pink ascot is HD.

Also notice that Usami's magic stick goes from a super pixelaty gem to pretty clear here:

The only other example of over-pixelation I could find is on Souda's chest badge here:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
It seems I'm the only one so far who's completely unimpressed by Hiyoko. She's been utterly one-note so far: "Cute! But is actually dangerously creepy and unsettling?!" The joke wore thin the very first time she did it, and she's still doing it. The "snark poses" don't help either, they just hammer home an already blindingly obvious personality.

I hope she dies first - I can't see any real way she'd contribute to the story other than being an irritating red herring. At least the other one-note characters are amusing and don't grate on you.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

SOL_Cambot posted:

I think it's supposed to be a "1000 yard stare" kinda thing. To me it kind of looks like Celes' expression when she was being intimidating/scary

That's it! I've been wondering what specifically about Hiyoko's been bothering me (I posted about it a page or so ago). Her "creepy" poses come off as her trying to be scary, instead of her dropping her cutesy mannerisms and going sociopath on us.

I think it's the open mouth - without that, it would come across as her face going blank and unsettling. With it open, it looks like her trying to intimidate someone and that doesn't really mesh with what her character is supposed to be, I think.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I think neither. He would be a convenient scapegoat for the first murder which is a great reason to not kill him. You have a ready-made alibi right there with Souda alienating everyone and disappearing away from the group with no one able to account for his whereabouts.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Gundam and Sonia, natch.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

W.T. Fits posted:

It's an anime thing. Apparently fighting is a primal mode of communication that is far superior to mere words when it comes to conveying things like feelings and stuff in anime. So if you can watch someone fighting, you can analyze their personality based on how they hold themselves, the way they attack, how they defend themselves, etc.

Seconding that this is in no way an anime thing. It's something that shows up in pretty much every single storytelling medium, and for good reason too.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

ziddia posted:

I have to say, this bit threw me off a little. Even though it fits his current character, Togami's insistence for a (all-night) party struck me as odd.

Considering that Togami specifically wanted a place where Monobear couldn't see in, he probably has something planned to tell the rest of the group that he doesn't want Monobear to overhear.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Is Akane a werewolf?

Claw hands when "powered up", smells blood easily, extreme appetite, extreme physical capabilities.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

RefinedUndefined posted:

Or at the very least, keep SafeSearch on to avoid poo poo like this happening to you. You probably would have been better off some the spoilers if you ask me, at least in this case.

How horrifying, naked men? Dear me. You should have spoiled yourself instead. What a terrible thing to have happen to you.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

What's that behind Nidai? Is it... a tail?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Pretty clear that the air conditioner is the cause of the blackout. Someone must have noticed that the electrical system wasn't up to par and would black out when the AC came online - so they programmed it to come online at a certain time and tried to go for someone then.

Likely suspects given the above: Nagito, Souda.

On top of that, Nagito was standing near the lamp table right before the blackout. Togami must have quickly opened his case and pulled out the nightvision goggles, then looked around. He saw whoever standing near the murder table, went "What are you doing?" and went over there to stop them. Then, "Ow!".

I have a feeling we're going to get a few more pieces of evidence, though... we still need to figure out what happened with the bathroom, where Kuzuryuu is, and to have Gundam go below the floorboards to retrieve his earring and probably find another piece of evidence.

tsundair posted:

Tear gas and a nightstick? Even a taser? Hoo boy, Togami. You've got some explaining to do.

...If you weren't dead, that is.

None of those are lethal unless overapplied. He was fully expecting someone to try to pull a murder, and Togami was prepared to subdue them.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Ditocoaf posted:

That looks exactly like the rubber nonslip mats that have been at every kitchen I've worked in.

While I agree (from my own experience as well), they look kind of far back from the counters. Generally you want to place those under where people are actually standing while they prepare and cook food.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

If she were allergic, wouldn't she need serious medical attention and not a toilet?

Depends on what sort of allergy she has. If it's anaphylaxis then she's about to die without an emergency medical injection. Or it could just be severe stomach cramping, which is food intolerance.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Yep, this update all but confirmed my theory that it's Hanamura. All the pieces are falling into place.

Looks like Gundam found a path under the floorboards to recover his earring, and that'll come out in testimony. I bet you money the path is in the storage room, and that Nagito knows about it.

Nanami can confirm that no one from the outside of the cabin could get under the floorboards, which removes Kuzuryuu as a suspect. Monomi herself can confirm that Nanami saw Kuzuryuu outside the cabin, and that Nanami didn't go back inside the cabin.

Fairly likely Peko was the one in the bathroom the whole time. Nidai's alibi is pretty solid and we'll have to figure out who was in the bathroom the whole time. Nagito obviously knows, and was trying to protect Peko's feelings earlier, but we'll get that confession from either him or Peko herself. That also removes her as a suspect.

Mikan's testimony confirms that the murder weapon was a long thin sharp implement: that is, a skewer. A skewer was, obviously, missing from the kitchen. There are a few possibilities for who did it, but the simplest explanation is that Hanamura had the opportunity to hide it somewhere.

Mahiru's map puts Souda in the dining hall, and most likely removes him from suspicion given where Togami died and the lack of weapons or opportunity for Souda. It also places Nagito next to the A/C and next to the knife table. It also places Hanamura behind the fire door and next to the storage room - which coincidentally is the straightest path to the knife table. We know there's a bloody sheet covering in the storage room, which means that the culprit had the opportunity to spend some time in there and discard evidence after killing Togami.

So my guess for the solution: Nagito was planning on killing someone when the AC went out and set up the knife under the table. Hanamura stumbles across Nagito's setup, puts 2 and 2 together, realizes what's going to happen. He sees the A/C's time setting and realizes HOW and WHEN it's going to happen. This snaps Hanamura out of denial. He realizes that he can use Nagito's attempt as an alibi for his own murder.

During the trial, Hanamura comes out with evidence that it was Nagito who killed Togami. And given how suspicious Nagito has been acting this entire chapter, and given that he DID set that poo poo up and WAS next to the knife table, Nagito will confess that, yes, he did it. But something doesn't add up, and Hinata pulls a Phoenix Wright and keeps on pushing until he figures out the details that aren't adding up.

It comes out that Hanamura was waiting for the power to blow to go and stab "someone" under the knife table when they were going to try for the knife. He was betting that it would be Nagito that he's stabbing, and didn't realize it would be Togami.

Cue villain breakdown.

I think that should cover all the details we've seen so far, except the note that was sent to Togami. No idea who did that.

Oh, one more thing - I think Nagito knows who did it, or at least has a healthy suspicion. He might be figuring that, well, if there's already a murder, maybe it's better to just have the murderer win the game instead of keeping on forcing friends to kill each other. He was acting very strangely after we inspected the storage room and suddenly had to go brood and calm down.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Silver2195 posted:

Just to be clear, I never said this.

Nobody loving cares and it's frankly offensive that you find the need to prattle on and on about someone making fun of patently stupid bullshit. Do you even venture outside LP on this loving forum? Do you know what Something Awful is?

God the whining in the last few pages have been loving awful to read. Bad things are funny. Awful things are funnier. Making fun of those things helps it be funnier. We read an entertaining translation of a video game and we laugh at awful obsessive bullshit about this video game. That's the entire loving point.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
What did Mikan trip on? Was it the lamp cord?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
After this update it's pretty clear that Nagito isn't Naegi ... but if I had to guess I'd say that Nagito has met/knows of Naegi. His name is an anagram of "I'm Makoto Naegi", he's bonkers for Hope, he had to get into the academy through unconventional means, and I bet you he's the "traitor" too - someone who isn't supposed to be part of this class.

DR1 was televised, right? So I bet you Nagito was awestruck by Naegi and wanted to be just like him. Thus taking his name, SHSL skill, and so on. It looks like Nagito is intentionally manipulating situations simply so he can create another situation where everyone embraces "Hope".

The people guessing "Nagito is a parody of Naegi" set me along this train of thought, but I don't think it's so much parody of Naegi as it is insane imitation.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Poor Hanamura. :(

kidcoelacanth posted:

Everything about that whole sequence is depressing and grim as hell :stonk:

The creators definitely wanted to re-emphasize the despair theme after they kind of ran out of steam in the later chapters of DR1. I have extremely high hopes for the rest of the chapters in DR2 if this is indicative of the quality of the rest of the game.

That was gutpunch after gutpunch and really drove home how hosed up it is that a bunch of teens are being pushed into killing each other.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

slowbeef posted:

Also Nagito is really bad at inspiring hope in people.

Honestly, I think that might be the entire point, and he turns out to be the traitor.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Calico Heart posted:

Please forgive me if this has been asked before, but if Mikan is SHSL, that means she's extraordinarily gifted in her field. Shouldn't that mean she's qualified as a Doctor, rather than a nurse?

What do you think nurses are? The larval stage of doctors?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I can't help but wonder if he became that wildly eccentric to entertain himself because he has no friends. :smith:

That's probably a good guess. Not much chance to interact with others when you spend all your time raising animals.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Almost certainly there's going to be a photograph of the attacker given Mahiru's SHSL ability, but their face will be obscured by that mask laying nearby.

As for murderer, I think we can safely count out Hinata, Souda, Ibuki, and Mikan, leaving the swimsuit girls and the remaining four who aren't with the group yet (Nidai, Kuzuryuu, Saionji, and Nagito).

Nanami and Sonia I'm going to count out as possible killers, they seem like they're going to be long-term characters. Who knows though, the game could curveball us on this.

Peko (being gone for a long time) and Akane (covered in blood) are definitely suspicious.

Saionji we saw running from the beach, crying. Since the murder announcement was triggered by Souda finding Mahiru's body, it seems like Saionji was the first one to come across Mahiru's body and Souda was the second, which set off Monobear's requirements.

Kuzuryuu as always has horrendous timing if he's innocent. He could have been the first to come across Mahiru's body (if Saionji was the killer) which again leaves Souda as the second to find her.

Nidai's been missing and is presumably covered with blood too if Akane is any indication. And we know Mahiru was bringing food to Nagito, and Nidai probably has a strong interest in not letting Nagito escape. It's pretty easy to conceive a scenario where Nidai lost control somehow and hit Mahiru with that baseball bat. That doesn't really explain the mask though.

And Nagito of course is suspicious as hell, especially if we find out that he's escaped somehow (which I find likely). Or maybe he escaped, killed Mahiru, then tied himself back up? That could work given that mask, which he'd use to conceal his identity and cause despair so that Hinata could give everyone hope back at the trial.

I don't think we can make any more speculation on the evidence we have so far until there's another update.

(This was an amazing update by the way!)

edit: I forgot about Gundam! But, no, I don't think there's a chance he's a killer. But I'd put him in the Nanami/Sonia category where there's at least a slim possibility that he was the killer rather than the Hinata/Souda/Ibuki/Mikan category where there's absolutely no chance that they're the killer.

Brannock fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 23, 2013

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Okay if it's three then it seems a lot more likely that both Kuzuryuu and Saionji are innocent. Of course, still up in the air that they aren't until we get more evidence. On top of that, Nagito's (lack of) presence is also a factor we have to account for - he could have been the killer, or he could have been one of the two witnesses before Souda found Mahiru.

Someone speculated before that the motive for the murder was Mahiru taking a picture of something that the murderer absolutely didn't want revealed. If that's the case, I think it's likely that it's Kuzuryuu. No other character is as fiercely secretive and asocial as Kuzuryuu is. Secondary candidates are Gundam and Peko.

I really don't think we can rule Nidai out though. Of all the characters, you'd think the sports coach would be the most likely to use a baseball bat. On that same topic Akane is probably not very likely to use a baseball bat and would be more likely to attack someone with her own hands.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

Pretty sure she's mostly a Dragonball Z reference. Constantly hungry, always wants to fight, powering up visual effect when she's pissed off. Not sure where you're getting werewolves.

orenronen posted:

...Hm? Hmmmmm?

Owari-san... is something bothering you?

No... but don't you smell something...?

No, that's not it...

Music halts

...What I smell... is blood.
...Blood?!

Ocean Breeze Dead End

Hm... hm... hm...

Owari twitched her nose like a wild beast, and then pointed to a certain location.

It's coming from over there. I'm sure of it...!

H...Hey, how come you can sniff out blood in the first place...?!

I'm sure it's over there... The smell of blood is coming from that table...

Kyahaha! Big Sis Owari's just like a stray dog!

She's even eating like one! Heeheeheehee!

Plus the whole wound-licking thing... that immediately caught my eye when I read it. I mean, there's no solid evidence for it, but the game's been teasing at it.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
We haven't seen Monomi in a while, have we?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Maybe she THOUGHT she was a sociopath until she actually murdered a human being and realized how terrible it was?

I dunno, but I do agree we can't really rule her out until we have more evidence.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

BumSCL posted:

Some things I noticed when comparing the scene before the murder to now.

Besides the door to the walk-in closet being open (which has already been pointed out), something appears to have been stuffed inside the trash can, although it's hard to tell what it is at this point. The entire top row of drinks are now missing as well.

Water bottles for Peko?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The other problem here is that we've had several days to think over every clue we have and to analyze everything that's going on.

By now, this hypothetical player who was playing DR2 is likely done with the game already and not giving it nearly the same amount of thought.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

ApplesandOranges posted:

The real question is, who the heck is Satou? Someone using an alias again? A corruption of Souda or Sonia?

Probably a student from their school days that got killed and everyone decided to not report it. I bet you Koizumi took the photo (there's a camera flash when the -ko girls are first finding the body).

If F-suke is Kuzuryuu, then Satou is probably his sister that he's mentioned.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

alcharagia posted:

I'd say Satou is more likely to be one of the A through E-koes, because probably-Kuzuryuu's sister was the one who died, and there was another Kuzuryuu in the credits.

:doh: I completely overlooked the double Kuzuryuus.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

kidcoelacanth posted:

He's being dumb, but he's showing infinitely more personality than Naegi or most anime game protagonists, which I think everyone appreciates.

Absolutely. Nagito is, even as hosed up as he is, my favorite character in both games. He presents SO many possibilities for screwing up the predicted order of events of the game and presents a serious conundrum for the protagonists to deal with. But he's not quite a villain; just a chaotic individual devoted to an ideology.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Is it just me or has Souda been acting really strangely throughout this portion of the trial? He's been really condescending and sarcastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Captain Pissweak posted:

Thanks for your deep critique of fandoms and how they are dumb.

It's very obviously a quote harvested from somewhere.

• Locked thread