Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«132 »
internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

Before I start, I'm going to assume you know what denim is and why it's so interesting to us. If you want a nerdy in-depth guide, check out Denim Megathread 4.

SIZING DISCLAIMER
All sizing guidelines provided in this thread are based on your measured waist size (where the waistband of your jeans sit) versus the tagged size of the jeans. If you wear your jeans lower than your waist, use that measurement. Do not use your typical pants size as most jeans are vanity sized. This means the actual measurement will be larger than the tag size. For instance, size 30 New Standards actually have a 32" waist. Therefore, if you have a 32" waist you would size down two for the intended fit.

Denim Brands:

Cheap (<$100)

Levis (~$35-$50)
The original denim jeans. These are remarkably high quality jeans considering the price (in the US at least) and Levis has a ton of different cuts to fit any body type.
•501 Shrink to fit - Classic silhouette jeans with anti-fit seat and slight taper past the knee. Unsanforized with a button fly, typically 12.5oz after shrinking. The 501 also comes in a pre-shrunk model. Levis reccomends +1 on the waist and +3 on the inseam but this usually makes for a pretty baggy fit. Buying your true waist size (or down one size) will get you a good slim fit. These also come in a ton of different colors apart from the standard indigo (check out Knight or Blue-Green for something different)
•505 - Pretty much a 501 with a zipper fly, not shrink to fit. Slightly looser in the leg past the knee. Good fit if you have wide hips.
•514 - Slim straight. Like a slimmer 501 with a lower rise.
•513 - Slim. These are like a 514 with a higher rise and a taper past the knee. Pretty much the modern slim cut everyone has wanted for years.
•508 - Regular Taper. These are kind of new but they seem like a mid-low rise with a modest taper in the leg, like a 514 with tapered legs.
•520 - Extreme Taper. Like a 501 in the top block with a hard taper in the leg.
•511 - Skinny. Like a 514 in the top block with a taper past the knee.
•510 - Super Skinny. Like a 511 but lower rise and more tapered past the knee.

Uniqlo (~$60)
Now available online! Uniqlo has a range of fits, skinny, slim, regular, and relaxed, all made with Japanese denim.
Sizing: Usually run TTS, so size down 1 to account for stretch. Sanforized.

Unbranded Brand (~$80, super cheap on sale)
Sanforized, Fade pretty well, nice details, and hefty denim at 15oz. The indigo denim is super soft once they're broken in but the hardware sucks. You will lose your top button. Unbranded Brand is Naked and Famous's made-in-China sister brand, however the cuts and sizing are slightly different.
Sizing here: http://www.theunbrandedbrand.com/fit-guide/

Less Cheap ($100-$200)

Naked and Famous
W&W's favorite brand since APCs got too expensive. N&F are very reasonably priced and are made in Canada with Japanese denim. Have some good modern cuts and all kinds of crazy denim options. N&F currently have five cuts. The Regular Guy is based on the Levis 501 cut but slightly slimmer. Weird guy is their most popular cut, low rise, somewhat forgiving in the top block, and very tapered from the knee down. As the name would imply, it is a very weird cut that people either love or hate. Weird guy high has all the same measurements as the weird guy but has a higher rise. Slim guy is slim straight similar to a 514. Skinny Guy is snug in the top block and tapered from the knee down, though not as tapered as the weird guy.
Sizing (All sanforized):
•Regular Guy - (not sure how people size on these yet, let me know so I can add it) Regular Guy Measurements
•Slim guy - Most people will size down 2 on these. Slim Guy Measurements
•Weird Guy - Size down 1 to 3 for these. Weird Guy Measurements
•Weird Guy High - Size down 1 to 3 for these. Weird Guy High Measurements
•Skinny Guy - TTS or -1 for super skinny. Skinny Guy Measurements

APC
Used to be a good deal when they were cheaper, now kind of overpriced at $175. These fade really well and come in great cuts for most body types. They're significantly vanity sized and stretch out more than other brands. All APC denim is 12oz and sanforized.
Sizing (All sanforized):
•New Standard - Selvage, Great slim straight cut which will look good on anyone assuming they are sized correctly. For the indigo New Standard, size down 2 or 3 from your measured waist for a slim fit. Black New Standards don't stretch as much as the indigos.
New Standard measurement chart
•New Cure - No visible selvage as it is cut off during the construction of the jeans. Silhouette is much slimmer and tighter than the New Standard. Most people will size down 1 or 2 from their measured waist.
New Cure measurement chart
•Rescue - Selvage straight fit. People typically size down 1 or 2 for these.
Rescue measurement chart
•Petite Standard - Selvage, super skinny super tapered fit, size down 0 or 1 depending on your proportions. Also look good on women.
Petite Standard measurement chart

A visual guide to how APC cuts compare

Nudie
Sweden's raw selvage denim brand, also one of the first to get popular in the US. Great fades and a huge variety of cuts. Honestly I've never owned any Nudies so I can only go by what other people say. Sizing depends a lot on the cut and denim but people typically size down for Nudies. (If you know nudie well and want to do a writeup on cuts and sizing please PM me so I can add it)

Expensive ($200 and up)
If you're looking in this price level you probably know exactly what you want so I won't go into too much detail. There are a lot of brands out there so I'm just going to touch on the most popular ones.

•Paul Rose Products - Naked and Famous premium brand. Only offer two cuts right now, a slightly slimmer 1947 501 repro and a slim cut. The indigo denim has a nice vintage slub texture to it, still waiting to see some fades on these.
•Levis Vintage Clothing (LVC) - Levis high end selvage denim for the japanese market. These are not the same as the "Big E" Levis you find for $160 in the mall. Made with 14oz Cone Mills denim from Greensboro, NC. Great vintage fit and fades.
•Dior Homme - Best skinny cut around, the 19cm. The Japanese made jeans are said to be higher quality than the ones made in Italy. Rumored that APC and Dior cuts were both designed by French designer Hedi Slimane. Take forever to fade but look amazing when they do. Notoriously long inseam and stacks for days.
•3sixteen - Great details, quality, and a good variety of cuts made with Japanese denim. Check out their "Shadow Selvage" denim if you want something dark, it has indigo warp and black weft.
•Samurai - Awesome japanese repro brand specializing in heavyweight denim up to 24/27oz. Cuts range from skinny to 1800s miner repro. Notoriously long inseams. Samurai denim is typically irregular and slubby and produces some of the most interesting textures and fades you'll find.
•Skull Jeans By Anal Chemist - Fade extremely fast and with great contrast. Some of the best slim cuts around.
•The Flat Head - Great vertical fading with super high contrast. A lot of people say they get the best "electric blue" hues in their fading process. Also have a really good womens cut. Check out the SExFHxRR10 if you want something with really unique details.
•Iron Heart / Triple Works - Same company. Triple works focuses on 14oz denim while Iron Heart does super heavy (yet soft) 21oz+ denim with great contruction details. Make a lot of overdye jeans (dyed black after the weaving process) for long lasting dark color with high contrast fades. 634S is a great straight leg with room in the thighs.
•Sugar Cane - Japanese repro brand. 1947 and 1966 are based on the Levis 501 cut from those years. Okinawa and Hawaii are made with a blend of sugar cane fibers and cotton to get a unique texture. Typically get great vintage fades. Most Sugar Cane cuts are good for guys with large thighs.
•Pure Blue Japan - Another great japanese brand with interesting denim options. The PBJ Deep Indigo denim has indigo dyed yarns for both the warp and weft. The No-Fade jeans are processed in a way where they will not lose any of their dark indigo color even when washed repeatedly.
•Roy - Handmade by one guy, Roy Slaper. Incredible construction details, you can tell Roy really loves what he does when you see the care and attention that goes into creating these.

Raw Denim FAQ:

Tigren posted:

Pretend like "raw denim" isn't a thing. Pretend like these are normal jeans, because they are. Buy them like you bought old jeans. Try them on. If they fit, cool. If not, probably get a different size. Buying online? You're probably going to need to experiment a bit before you find the right size. Put them on in the morning, take them off at night. Wash them when they're dirty, don't when they're not. Hang them up when they're not in use, or toss them in the corner if you prefer that way. Wear your white shirts, your black shirts, even your button up shirts. Jeans were and are worn by factory workers and cowboys and all around tough guys because jeans can stand up to that kind of abuse. That's the beauty of denim. They're worry free if you allow them to be.

I've done one too many squats and have appreciable rear end/legs as a result. What will look good on me?
Be cautious about anything with a dramatically tapered leg, especially if you're under 6' tall. Super tapered jeans can make your legs look stumpy and carrot shaped. Look for something with a slight taper or a straight leg based on the 501 cut. Levis 501 STF, LVC 47, NF Regular Guy, Paul Rose Heritage. Most jeans don't stretch too much in the thighs so if they're skin tight when you get them you got the wrong size.

How do I know what size to get?
Find your favorite fitting pair of jeans. Measure them like this and compare to measurement charts. Be sure to note if the jeans you are looking at are unsanforized. If so be sure to take shrinkage into account.

What does a well-fitting pair of jeans look like on a guy?
There isn't One True Fit for all styles, but there are some guidelines you should follow if you are looking for a good starting point. As with most clothing, your jeans should give you a well-defined and masculine silhouette. The top block should be boxy and the leg should follow the general shape of your legs (this is why boot cut looks terrible unless you know what you're doing). The outline of your jeans should appear "straight" from your waist to your ankle with little to no flare in the hips. Skinnier guys typically look better with a more dramatic taper to avoid being too baggy in the leg. Bigger guys should look for a slight to moderate taper to avoid looking like you have stumpy carrot legs. Here are some examples of well-fitting jeans:

What does an ill-fitting pair of jeans look like on a guy?
We had a lot of problems in the older denim threads because the advice was basically "APC, size down 2" which is good advice for skinnier people, but we have a lot of swolegoons here in YLLS who ended up following that advice and looking ridiculous. Again, there isn't only one way jeans can fit, but generally you want to avoid feminine qualities. Jeans for guys should never emphasize a curve in your hips. Your butt cheeks should not be clearly defined. If you put on a pair of jeans and your hips look round, look for something a bit looser in the knee and leg to help straighten out your silhouette. Here are some bad fitting jeans that create a messy silhouette or emphasize feminine features:

Why do these jeans only come in one inseam length?
Because that way you have all your options available to you. When they only come in one length you have the option to hem them to the desired length, cuff them to the desired length, or say gently caress it and let them stack on your shoes (this is the best option)

I'm a girl and I want cool fades too! What do I buy?
Look at Sling and Stones, Pure Blue Japan, Flat Head Balders, Nudies, Skull Linda, Samurai Geisha, skinnier cuts of APC, or 3sixteen+ 99BSP. Naked and Famous has a few womens cuts too. Be careful when you're picking a size and make sure to go by your measured waist, not your pants size. Womens jeans are notoriously vanity sized.

I hear I have to soak these things before I can wear them, what's that all about?
Are they unsanforized or shrink to fit? If so then yes, you have to soak because they're gonna shrink (derp). If you don't soak unsanforized jeans and just start wearing them you will develop creases and fades that will shift up when you get them wet.
Are they sanforized? If so it's personal preference. You don't have to soak them but many perfer to soak to get rid of excess starch and the small amount of shrinkage. Many people believe that their denim fades faster if they soak them first. Many people also claim their denim fades faster if they don't soak them. Personally, I prefer an initial soak because cardboard-stiff new jeans are uncomfortable and look weird.

How do I soak my jeans?
1. Turn them inside out if you want to minimize dye loss.
2. Fill up the bathtub with the hottest water that can come out of the tap. Some people like to add something to the water at this stage (salt, vinegar, or tea bags) but it's probably just superstition. Also some people boil the water. This is stupid, don't do it.
3. Submerge the jeans entirely.
4. Let them sit for 30 minutes to an hour. Some people like to leave them soaking longer but I don't feel it's necessary.
5. Take them out and hang them up to dry. Congratulations! You soaked your jeans!

How do I dry my jeans?
Hang them up and let them air dry. Using a tumble dryer will damage the fibers of the cotton and may cause unwanted creases to form.

Do I wear them while they dry?
Short answer is no. It's better to let them dry and shrink completely before you start setting creases and stretching them back out.

These are bleeding indigo all over my shoes!
Yep, they'll do that. Cuff them if it bothers you.

Should I cuff, stack, or hem?
Do what you want. Generally people will stack if they wear sneakers and cuff if they wear boots.

How long do these take to stretch out fully?
20-30 days of wear will usually stretch it to its final size. Heavier denim will take longer and stretch less.

Someone told me to spray starch on my jea
No.

How long do I wait before washing?
Everyone has a different answer. The general consensus is between 6 months to a year. Personally I think that's kinda gross and usually wash my jeans every couple months.

These smell bad but I don't want to wash them yet.
First of all, if anyone can smell you WASH YOUR loving JEANS. You can still get sick fadez if you wash your jeans a month into wearing a new pair. Second of all, make sure you hang them up at night to let them air out. Also if you use starch you will smell like moldy rear end in a top hat after a while. Some people like to put them in the freezer overnight to get rid of smells but I think that's ridiculous.

OK, it's time to wash. How do I wash my pants?
Machine wash:
1. Turn them inside out.
2. Fill the washer with water and detergent. Woolite Dark is reccomended but really anything short of bleach will work fine.
3. Throw the jeans in by themselves and turn the washer on. If there is an option on your washer, stop it before the spin cycle. Spin cycles can make hard creases on your jeans that will never go away.
4. Hang dry. You can machine dry but the heat and friction can damage the fibers and shorten the life of your jeans.
Shower Wash:
Some people are very concerned with unwanted creases and just wear their jeans in the shower to wash them.
Ocean Wash:
People on sufu say this is the one true way to the holy grail of denim fades. Wear them in the ocean and use the sand as an abrasive agent to clean the jeans.

My crotch ripped open!
Jesus man, get to a hospital

The crotch of my jeans ripped open!
This is due to any combination of not washing, sizing down, starch, and sagging. When cotton fibers are not washed regularly they will get brittle and fall apart. Washing your jeans (or at the very least soaking them once in a while) will make them last longer. Self Edge will do denim repairs, as will most decent tailors.

Does black denim fade?
Yes, it just takes much longer.

This is all so complicated!
No it really isn't. A lot of people get so caught up in the small details that they completely miss the point. You wear your jeans, do the things you normally do, wash them when they smell bad, and you'll have awesome jeans.

All this raw denim stuff is ridiculous. Who makes high quality washed jeans?
For under $100 go with Levis. Over $100 - Dior, Studio D'Artisan, Nudie, Acne, LVC. You can also find people on Sufu/SF selling their worn denim for pretty cheap.

Denim Glossary:
•Raw / Rigid / Dry / Unwashed - This is denim that has not been artifically aged or washed after the jeans were constructed. It will be very dark and stiff at first and will soften up with time.
•Selvage - Selvedge, selvage, self edge, it's all the same thing. Refers to the finished edge of the denim fabric as it comes out of the loom. Instead of having a cut edge which must then be sewn to prevent unraveling, the edge is finished by the loom itself, thus the term "self-edge." Selvage is typically an indicator of quality as selvage denim is produced on much smaller looms. Since it's more expensive to produce, the people running the loom are more likely to use high quality cotton and use more care when constructing the jeans. However, there is plenty of non-selvage denim that has the same quality cotton, threads, construction, etc as selvage denim. It's just one small detail that helps identify quality jeans. Here is a picture of a seam with selvage on one side and without selvage on the other: http://i.imgur.com/Oj13f.jpg
•Sanforized / Unsanforized - If a pair of jeans is sanforized they are mostly preshrunk. They will still shrink around 3% but will not shrink as much as unsanforized jeans. Sanforized jeans don't have to be soaked before being worn but some prefer to soak them anyway just to get all the shrinkage out of the way. Unsanforized jeans, or shrink-to-fit jeans will absolutely shrink when they get wet, usually between 6 to 10% depending on the denim. These must be soaked before being worn.
•Warp - The indigo-dyed top threads that run vertically
•Weft - The typically undyed threads that run horizontally
•Whiskers / Combs / Stacks / Traintracks / Roping - These are all terms for typical fade patterns. Whiskers are the lines that are created in the lap, combs (or honeycombs) are the lines that are created behind the knee, Stacks are the lines created by an extra long inseam that causes the leg of the jeans to fold on itself or "stack" on the shoes, traintracks are the lines that run down the seams that are created by the edge of the denim folding under itself, and roping is the twisted fade pattern on the hem.
•Top block - The waist, crotch, rear end, and upper thigh area of the jeans.
•Leg - Mid-thigh through the leg opening.
•TTS - True to size. This means the tagged size of the jeans is the same as the measured size.
•Denim weight - The weight of the denim (12.5oz, 14oz, 21oz, etc) refers to how much one yard of denim weighs. Usanforized denim may have two weights, one preshrink and one post shrink weight.
•Slub / Slubby - Slub is irregularity in the size of the yarns used to weave the denim. This creates a bumpy and rough texture that will affect the way the jeans fade.
•Repro - Reproduction, typically referring to vintage Levis. Repro brands are much more traditional in their styling, details, and cuts (forgiving in the thighs and waist, little to no taper in the leg).

Links
Rawr Denim - Denim blog with information on new releases, fades, interviews, denim guides, etc.
Superfuture - Superdenim - The home of raw denim nerds on the internet.
Sufu's "best of" evolution thread.
Denim Megathread 5
Denim Megathread 4 <- lots of good information here
http://fuckyeahmenswear.tumblr.com/...s-not-a-cry-for

Where to buy:
Tate and Yoko - This is Naked and Famous' in-house boutique so they will have the best selection of Naked and Famous products. Also stock Flat Head, Studio D'Artisan, Paul Rose, Momotaro, Eternal, Oni, and Japan Blue.
Self Edge - Locations in SF, LA and NY. Stocks Nudie, Imperial, Iron Heart, Sugar Cane, Dry Bones, Flat Head, Sling and Stones, Mister Freedom, Royal Japan Blues, 3sixteen, Strike Gold, and Roy. Lots of great options and excellent customer service. Owner kiya is an active member on Sufu and Styleforum.
Blue In Green - One location in NY. Stocks Denime, Eternal, Evisu, Fullcount, Left Field, Momotaro, Oni, Pure Blue Japan, Samurai, Skull, Somet, Studio D'Artisan, Sugar Cane, Sunrise Japan, and Warehouse.
Cultizm - Best place for Levis Vintage Clothing, as well as Evisu, Edwin, and Nudie.
Context - Stocks APC, Kicking Mule Workshop, Left Field, Levis Vintage Clothing (LVC), Momotaro, Nudie, RRL, Somet, The Stronghold
Blue Owl Workshop - Naked and Famous, Unbranded, Spellbound, Left Field, Triple Works, KMW, Denime, Sugar Cane.
Wharf Clothing - Raleigh, Baldwin, Cheap Monday, Naked and Famous, LVC, 3sixteen.
Need Supply - Raleigh, Momotaro, Tellason, Baldwin, APC, Cheap Monday, KMW, Naked and Famous, LVC, Nudie
Tobi - Naked and Famous, Evisu, Jean Shop, Nudie, Acne
Revolve - 3sixteen, Acne, Cheap Monday, Evisu, Levis, Naked and Famous, Nudie
Karmaloop - Naked and Famous and Unbranded. Terribly modeled pictures.
Ande Whall - Ande Whall

(This OP is a work in progress, if you think something should be added or changed let me know)

internet celebrity fucked around with this message at Mar 1, 2013 around 14:47

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Aren't most jeans, like N&F, vanity sized a couple sizes smaller than their true waist measurement? Or are N&F just especially vanity sized moreso than usual?

Shopping for these things is difficult since they're so hard to find in actual B&M stores. I have a feeling I'm going to be taking these jeans on I ordered on karmaloop to ebay when they don't fit.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

some say he's a rude dude with a crude 'tude

Measurements for N+F are on http://tateandyoko.com/

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

Thoren posted:

Aren't most jeans, like N&F, vanity sized a couple sizes smaller than their true waist measurement? Or are N&F just especially vanity sized moreso than usual?

Shopping for these things is difficult since they're so hard to find in actual B&M stores. I have a feeling I'm going to be taking these jeans on I ordered on karmaloop to ebay when they don't fit.

Sizing for all clothing is all over the place so it would stand to reason that denim is no different. Karmaloop takes returns, right? In the past I've ordered 2 sizes of the same denim and returned the one that didn't fit.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

Got tips for speeding up the stretching process? I got a deal on a pair of APC New Cures and they are perfectly skin-tight all through the leg but I can't quite button the top button. (I'm a woman so a very skinny fit is the end result I'm hoping for.) I know they'll stretch where there's strain but I'd like to hurry up the process - wearing jeans in public when I can't do the fly up all the way is awkward.

If these were normal jeans I'd spritz them all over with water and stretch while they dried, is this a problem with raw sanforized denim?

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Millow posted:

Measurements for N+F are on http://tateandyoko.com/

Thanks, but I've seen them. They don't mean much without some frame of reference though.

internet celebrity posted:

Sizing for all clothing is all over the place so it would stand to reason that denim is no different. Karmaloop takes returns, right? In the past I've ordered 2 sizes of the same denim and returned the one that didn't fit.

Not on their 40% sale stuff. Exchange only. The problem is a lot of the good jeans and sizes are all gone from the sale.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

demozthenes posted:

Got tips for speeding up the stretching process? I got a deal on a pair of APC New Cures and they are perfectly skin-tight all through the leg but I can't quite button the top button. (I'm a woman so a very skinny fit is the end result I'm hoping for.) I know they'll stretch where there's strain but I'd like to hurry up the process - wearing jeans in public when I can't do the fly up all the way is awkward.

If these were normal jeans I'd spritz them all over with water and stretch while they dried, is this a problem with raw sanforized denim?

When I bought my first pair of N&F, I slept in my jeans for the first two nights in addition to wearing them throughout the day and they were fine. Of course, sleeping in your jeans is a wee bit weird so you could probably get away with just wearing them around the house until you can do up the fly.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I've been wearing Levi's 517 bootcuts for years now. Stiff, dark indigo, wears well, the whole nine yards. Last pair I bought in August, though. The denim is really thin, they're not as stiff, and the color isn't the same. I ordered them online and at first I thought I'd gotten a counterfeit pair. Has Levi's changed their denim or was there a shortage or something? These new 517s kinda suck.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

I've been wearing Levi's 517 bootcuts for years now. Stiff, dark indigo, wears well, the whole nine yards. Last pair I bought in August, though. The denim is really thin, they're not as stiff, and the color isn't the same. I ordered them online and at first I thought I'd gotten a counterfeit pair. Has Levi's changed their denim or was there a shortage or something? These new 517s kinda suck.

They do update their styles and the weight of the jeans change accordingly. Maybe you got a lighter pair?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Thoren posted:

They do update their styles and the weight of the jeans change accordingly. Maybe you got a lighter pair?

Could be, yeah. They'd been the same for years though, and I was kinda disappointed with the lighter denim.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 21, 2012

3sixteen has a new CS fit (Classic Straight) that I think will make those of you who like Naked and Famous's 'Regular Guy' fit happy.

http://www.rawrdenim.com/2012/12/3s...ight-raw-denim/

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Random question for you guys who are pretty into denim. How many pairs do you have that you wear?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

Can't we all just be friends?

It continues...

Toasty
Mar 12, 2007

Elucidarius posted:

Random question for you guys who are pretty into denim. How many pairs do you have that you wear?

4 that I really wear, but maybe 6 total that I own. I only bust out the old Levi's for when I am doing physical work. It makes me feel like a rugged dude taming the west.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

PLEASE WORK OUT

Tiger.Bomb posted:

3sixteen has a new CS fit (Classic Straight) that I think will make those of you who like Naked and Famous's 'Regular Guy' fit happy.

http://www.rawrdenim.com/2012/12/3s...ight-raw-denim/

Also have the new 3sixteen+ 30BSP out which is pretty much exactly the denim I've been after. More room in the thighs with a strong taper. I bought a pair after seeing them mentioned by SelfEdge on twitter and I love em.

http://blog.selfedge.com/2012/11/th...-jean-more.html

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Elucidarius posted:

I typically have four in wearing rotation: Two pairs that are still dark and crisp that I keep on hangers, and two that are "worn in". There are other pairs in my closet that are all blown out at the knees and pockets that I use in the garage and yard, too.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

What in the gently caress...I ordered some N&F Dirty Fade Slim Guy's from Karmaloop and they sent me Weird Guys. They don't even have Weird Guys in Dirty Fade on their website.

e: Well gently caress, I guess I did order Weird Guys...now to figure out if I should just keep them and order another pair of Slim Guy's with the 40% off.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at Dec 12, 2012 around 01:42

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Plinkey posted:

What in the gently caress...I ordered some N&F Dirty Fade Slim Guy's from Karmaloop and they sent me Weird Guys. They don't even have Weird Guys in Dirty Fade on their website.

I ordered some weird guys in Dirty Fade and got some slim guys. Do they happen to be size 29?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

Animale posted:

I ordered some weird guys in Dirty Fade and got some slim guys. Do they happen to be size 29?

Nope, 34.

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

"Though I often smell of excrement, I deserve your respect because I provide a valuable service."

Plinkey posted:

e: Well gently caress, I guess I did order Weird Guys...now to figure out if I should just keep them and order another pair of Slim Guy's with the 40% off.

They take returns right? You might want to re-order before the FREAK75 coupon is gone.

I got a pair of black selvage weird guys for about 100bux. Can't beat that. My black jeanshop pants were falling apart.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

Yeah, I used the coupon for these. Tried em on and they fit pretty well. Taper isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Might just order another pair so I have jeans to last me basically all next year.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 21, 2012

pr0zac posted:

Also have the new 3sixteen+ 30BSP out which is pretty much exactly the denim I've been after. More room in the thighs with a strong taper. I bought a pair after seeing them mentioned by SelfEdge on twitter and I love em.

http://blog.selfedge.com/2012/11/th...-jean-more.html

Oh badass... Too bad they're only 15.5oz. I own 3sixteen+ 21bsp which are 18oz. Supposed to be similar to the st-100x, and they're the best jeans I have ever owned.

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

some say he's a rude dude with a crude 'tude

Karmaloop sent me a t-shirt instead of a pair of pants once. I emailed me and they said just keep the shirt and then sent me the pants. Maybe you can score some free jeans out of their gently caress up? Seems like they can afford it, giving away $25,000 and having these massive sales all the time

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

I wish Karmaloop didn't use DHL for Canadian orders. DHL automatically pays your duties and taxes when the package crosses the border (thanks a lot) then adds on a roughly 30% service charge for doing so. And it's loving slooooooooooooowwwww. It took almost three weeks for my package to get delivered, maybe because DHL doesn't actually deliver the package once it hits the border: Canada Post takes over and does it for them.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Plinkey posted:

Nope, 34.

I ordered the exact same pair, same size. Still waiting for delivery.

How's the waist like? What size do you wear in non-selvedge/raw jeans?

I'm really excited about the dirty fade. Haven't seen many photos of it on the internet.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

Thoren posted:

I ordered the exact same pair, same size. Still waiting for delivery.

How's the waist like? What size do you wear in non-selvedge/raw jeans?

I'm really excited about the dirty fade. Haven't seen many photos of it on the internet.

Waist is a bit tight which is to be expected in brand new jeans, I'm hoping the thighs stretch out a bit though. Basically the same size as my selvedge 514s when I got them and they stretched out nicely. Need to get them hemmed though because I am short. We'll see if the Weird Guy taper grows on me.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at Dec 12, 2012 around 04:44

OdinsBeard
Jul 12, 2003

Type 'iddqd' into the console to enable Beast Mode.

What's the recommendation for style if you have short legs? I'm 6'1" but my inseam is 30" or so. I also have decent sized thighs but not particularly large calves.

NotAnArtist
Feb 10, 2011

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you

Thanks for the thread, OP, and here's hoping that my pair of Weird Guy N&F fit as I think I've measured myself. I'm 6'8, which makes shopping for ~sick jeanz~ pretty difficult, and thanks to that karmaloop coupon, I can justify the purchase.

diddy kongs feet
Dec 11, 2012

wanna lick the dirt out between ur chimp toes

Can anyone drop some words on the N&F skinny guy power stretch wash jeans? Levis skinnies just aren't tough enough, I blow holes in those suckers like it was my job. How do these power stretch wash N&Fs hold up? 5% elastane doesn't seem so bad but if anyone owns a pair then let me know whether they're any good.

Actually, I've never bought N&F jeans period. How's the general toughness across the range? Crotch blowouts as frequent as levis?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

Looks like Urban Outfitters is having a 20% off coupon starting at 5 PM to 3 AM online and 5 PM to close in store today (I assume it's Eastern time).

You should be able to pick up some Unbrandeds for $62.40 and they have free shipping on orders over $50.

Code is "HUMPDAY12" "HUMPDAY20".

Plinkey fucked around with this message at Dec 12, 2012 around 23:00

fineX
Jan 17, 2008
EAT MORE

milk thug posted:

Can anyone drop some words on the N&F skinny guy power stretch wash jeans? Levis skinnies just aren't tough enough, I blow holes in those suckers like it was my job. How do these power stretch wash N&Fs hold up? 5% elastane doesn't seem so bad but if anyone owns a pair then let me know whether they're any good.

Actually, I've never bought N&F jeans period. How's the general toughness across the range? Crotch blowouts as frequent as levis?
I have power stretch skinny guys, they seem to hold up fine for me but i have a tiny penis.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti, etc etc...

I've had my Unbrandeds for over a year and the hardware has never failed me yet. I don't really wear jeans in the summer so they still don't smell but I think I may soak them soon.

Also here's a quick shot of my two year old 19oz N&F work jeans. Hope I resized it right to 800x600. I'm on my phone.

Super Aggro Crag fucked around with this message at Dec 12, 2012 around 19:12

resident
Dec 22, 2005

Make it easy

milk thug posted:

21 oz slim guys were pretty great minus the top button falling off within the first 2 weeks. I wore them daily for 2 years before developing holes in the back pocket and crotch that needed fixing.

Nep slim guys kind of sucked. The back pockets started ripping off in the corners within the first month and my back pockets wore through from my phone and wallet within a year. I had to retire them from being my work jeans in 9 months.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 21, 2012

wolfbiker posted:

I wish Karmaloop didn't use DHL for Canadian orders. DHL automatically pays your duties and taxes when the package crosses the border (thanks a lot) then adds on a roughly 30% service charge for doing so. And it's loving slooooooooooooowwwww. It took almost three weeks for my package to get delivered, maybe because DHL doesn't actually deliver the package once it hits the border: Canada Post takes over and does it for them.

30% of the whole order!? Or just the duty? Either way that sucks. My buddy in Vancouver ordered.. I hope he doesn't get hosed.

OdinsBeard posted:

What's the recommendation for style if you have short legs? I'm 6'1" but my inseam is 30" or so. I also have decent sized thighs but not particularly large calves.

Maybe weird guy high? You don't want low rise. You want something higher to make it look like you have longer legs.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Cum all over my mirrors just gettin off on my self maan, UUAOHH

WORSHIPPIN' this BIIG motherfucker.

*fingers dickhole*

wolfbiker posted:

If they try and get me to pay a 30% fee I will straight up refuse and have that poo poo returned. 'Customs clearance' is such a joke.

Tiger.Bomb posted:

30% of the whole order!? Or just the duty? Either way that sucks. My buddy in Vancouver ordered.. I hope he doesn't get hosed.

Maybe weird guy high? You don't want low rise. You want something higher to make it look like you have longer legs.

Your buddy in Vancouver is in luck because he can clear customs himself, since the place they do that thing or take it to be held until its cleared is in Vancouver.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Okay guys. I got a pair of N&F Weird Guys in the mail today. I tried them on and they fit perfectly out of the box.

I was planning on soaking them so I know they're going to shrink a little, and then stretch out as I wear them.

Is it possible that I bought them too big? I don't want to stretch out the waist to be loose in the future. I heard that you're supposed to buy it to where it's too tight at first.

Aside from this concern, I'm extremely happy with my jeans. The denim quality feels incredible.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI

Don't bother soaking them.

Take a picture so we can get a better feel of the fit. Worse case scenario you can wear a belt to counter some of the waist stretching.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 21, 2012

Thoren posted:

Okay guys. I got a pair of N&F Weird Guys in the mail today. I tried them on and they fit perfectly out of the box.

I was planning on soaking them so I know they're going to shrink a little, and then stretch out as I wear them.

Is it possible that I bought them too big? I don't want to stretch out the waist to be loose in the future. I heard that you're supposed to buy it to where it's too tight at first.

Aside from this concern, I'm extremely happy with my jeans. The denim quality feels incredible.

Probably should have gone down an inch. My first N&F weird guy felt great, too, but now I can't wear them without a belt.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

supersteve posted:

Don't bother soaking them.

Take a picture so we can get a better feel of the fit. Worse case scenario you can wear a belt to counter some of the waist stretching.

I don't want all the creases and fades getting warped around to the wrong places after my first wash. That was the main reason I planned on soaking them.

Tiger.Bomb posted:

Probably should have gone down an inch. My first N&F weird guy felt great, too, but now I can't wear them without a belt.

This is really concerning.

Here's what the fit looks like on me. I just pulled the leg sleeves for the picture.

I have fairly big legs so both the upper and lower leg are very slim fitting on me. There's not much looseness there at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Thoren posted:

I don't want all the creases and fades getting warped around to the wrong places after my first wash. That was the main reason I planned on soaking them.

This is really concerning.

Here's what the fit looks like on me. I just pulled the leg sleeves for the picture.

I have fairly big legs so both the upper and lower leg are very slim fitting on me. There's not much looseness there at all.

Those leg sleeves are lookin good bro!

«132 »