Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Not quite on the level of Russian serial-killer atrocities (:gonk:), but the United States colour-coded war plans gave me the willies when I first read about it years ago. Basically, in the 20s and 30s the United States military drew up plans for nearly every potential war scenario, including plans that later became WW2 doctrine. Most alarmingly for me as an Australian were the Red war plans (including 'scarlet' for Australia) that planned out war with the entire drat British Commonwealth.

Even more worrying, though, is War Plan White, which was a 'war plan' in case of domestic unrest in the United States. War Plan White would later form protocols for other domestic contingency plans, including Rex 84 and similar plans:

Wikipedia posted:

Exercises similar to Rex 84 have happened in the past. For example, from 1967 to 1971 the FBI kept a list of over 100,000 persons to be rounded up as subversive, dubbed the "ADEX" list.
The idea that the United States government had a 100,000-strong list of 'subversives' to be rounded up and detained in case of domestic unrest is a scary one. What's scarier is that there's probably some modern incarnation of Rex 84 that probably also includes a list of subversives :tinfoil:

quick edit: oh man, I forgot about this, too:

Wikipedia posted:

Rex 84 was written by Lieutenant Colonel Oliver North, who was both National Security Council White House Aide, and NSC liaison to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), and John Brinkerhoff, the deputy director of "national preparedness" programs for the FEMA. They patterned the plan on a 1970 report written by FEMA chief Louis Giuffrida, at the Army War College, which proposed the detention of up to 21 million "American Negroes", if there were a black militant uprising in the United States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Final Cause posted:

One that unsettles me even now is Cattle Mutiliation

First of all 'anal coring' is not something I want to think about. Secondly are aliens the cause of these? I don't care, some nutter is going round the country side and pulling animals apart as cleanly as pulling two lego bricks apart. I go hiking a lot and that's always in the back of my mind when crossing or camping in a large field at night.

Bugs and predators. That's what mutilate cattle, that's what eat their assholes and organs, and the blood off the ground. Everything else is assholes (human) selling books by describing bullshit in spooky terms

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

redmercer posted:

Bugs and predators. That's what mutilate cattle, that's what eat their assholes and organs, and the blood off the ground. Everything else is assholes (human) selling books by describing bullshit in spooky terms

Next you'll be saying crop circles are easily explainable. :rolleyes:

Final Cause
Dec 10, 2005

Pretentious username

redmercer posted:

DrNutt posted:

Next you'll be saying crop circles are easily explainable. :rolleyes:

Yes, what this guy said. I said in my post that these are perfectly explainable. The devil's footprints case was obviously a prankster with a set of tiny horse shoes and cattle mutilations are obviously predators and disease.

It's the ghost story add-ons that make it good fiction as I said. When you get over the crack pot core of believers of the paranormal and are no longer trying to be convinced by them and in turn no longer trying to convince them they are wrong then you can read their books as science fiction. In other words allow yourself to be entertained by, as you put it, books which are just assholes describing bullshit in spooky terms. Which I guess is one way to describe what the Horror genre is.

Take the example of cryptids such as Mothman. I don't think even many paranormal followers would believe Mothman truly exists but some of the stories, although not on Wikipedia because that page is very brief considering the expansive lore surrounding Mothman, are very creepy and unnerving.

The chapter on Mothman in one of my books contains one of many testimonies. This one was made by a young couple who claimed that while driving a deserted road they saw the 7 foot figure with folded wings, cheshire cat-spiked tooth smile, and ruby eyes standing in a field next to the road. That gives me the heebie jeebies when I'm driving along pitch black country roads to get back to my little village surrounded by pitch black fields. It's the last thing I need when little Satan is climbing up my house and I'm kept awake by the cows being mutilated outside.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
I live in Mothman country, you better believe people buy into him. I mean, these aren't people you expect to really dedicate themselves to rationality and are pretty bored most of the time, but they are honest people who seriously believe in that thing.

Final Cause
Dec 10, 2005

Pretentious username
Are there still sightings? I thought it all died out.

OK one more that isn't paranormal so I don't focus the thread. Occurrences of Mass hysteria are often very unnerving including perhaps the most famous: The Salem Witch Trials.

We all know these were the "series of hearings and prosecutions of people accused of witchcraft" based on various types of evidence including:

Wikipedia posted:

Spectral evidence

Much, but not all, of the evidence used against the accused was spectral evidence, or the testimony of the afflicted who claimed to see the apparition or the shape of the person who was allegedly afflicting them.

Or even

Wikipedia posted:

Witch cake

At some point in February 1692 a neighbor of Rev. Parris, Mary Sibly (aunt of the afflicted Mary Walcott), instructed John Indian, one of the minister's slaves, to make a witch cake, using traditional English white magic to discover the identity of the witch who was afflicting the girls. The cake, made from rye meal and urine from the afflicted girls, was fed to a dog.

According to English folk understanding of how witches accomplished affliction, when the dog ate the cake, the witch herself would be hurt because invisible particles she had sent to afflict the girls remained in the girls' urine, and her cries of pain when the dog ate the cake would identify her as the witch.

Then the suspects, found using such amazing evidence, would be punished in many humane ways such as:

Giles Corey, an 80-year-old farmer who had stones piled on his chest until he could no longer breathe.

Or

Matteuccia de Francesco who confessed to having flown on the back of a demon and was burned to death.

As well as the strangling, hanging, garotting, beheading, and drowning.

Other than the method of accusation and punishment the most unsettling aspect is the mass hysteria. You are going about your business one day and someone accuses you of being a wizard or witch because they saw your apparition haunting them or because a dog was fed urine cake and you were coincidentally ill at the time and next thing you know you're being tortured for confession or burned to death.

BoogerPrincess
Jun 5, 2007

So in looking at some of these wikipedia entries, I found this category...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Children_kept_in_captivity

ugh...

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Keket posted:

Vice also have a documentary on the place, the interview with one of the park wardens is really :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FDSdg09df8
The documentary's here if anyone's interested.

my dog boyfriend!!
Nov 21, 2008
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rh_factor#Hemolytic_disease_of_the_newborn

Made a baby? Too bad, your blood type isn't compatible with his. He dies because your body decided to attack him for no good reason.

The good news is it can be avoided with an injection...if you have access to that kind of thing. Sorry 3rd worlders.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Final Cause posted:

Are there still sightings? I thought it all died out.

OK one more that isn't paranormal so I don't focus the thread. Occurrences of Mass hysteria are often very unnerving including perhaps the most famous: The Salem Witch Trials.

We all know these were the "series of hearings and prosecutions of people accused of witchcraft" based on various types of evidence including:

Or even

Then the suspects, found using such amazing evidence, would be punished in many humane ways such as:

Giles Corey, an 80-year-old farmer who had stones piled on his chest until he could no longer breathe.

Or

Matteuccia de Francesco who confessed to having flown on the back of a demon and was burned to death.

As well as the strangling, hanging, garotting, beheading, and drowning.

Other than the method of accusation and punishment the most unsettling aspect is the mass hysteria. You are going about your business one day and someone accuses you of being a wizard or witch because they saw your apparition haunting them or because a dog was fed urine cake and you were coincidentally ill at the time and next thing you know you're being tortured for confession or burned to death.

The scary thing really is that this stuff still goes on in parts of the world today. I've heard of things like witch hunts/hysteria going on in just the past few years.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

ulilileeloo dallas posted:

Made a baby? Too bad, your blood type isn't compatible with his. He dies because your body decided to attack him for no good reason.

The good news is it can be avoided with an injection...if you have access to that kind of thing. Sorry 3rd worlders.

Speaking of fetal disorders:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlequin-type_ichthyosis
The well-known Harlequin Fetus, where your baby's skin turns out to be composed of hardened scales of keratin. Yes, keratin! Otherwise known as the material that your fingernails are made of! Think of it as something like FOP (Fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva- it's when your muscles turn to bone; it was brought up earlier ITT), except it's your skin, and you're born with it.

And here's one that's very dear to SA's heart:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anencephaly
Anencephaly, sometimes known as "Frogbaby Syndrome", is when the fetus fails to develop a frontal cortex. At all. No cerebral hemispheres. No neocortex, which is what gives you the ability to think. No ability to see, hear, or even feel pain. No waking mind. No consciousness. Nothing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclopia
And then there's Cyclopia, which is when your skull fails to divide your eyes into separate cavities. Which results in being born without a face.

STRANGE FACT: One of the proteins vital to neurological development in humans is called the, and I poo poo you not, Sonic hedgehog homolog.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_hedgehog
Current theory suggests that a mutation of the Sonic gene is a potential cause of Cyclopia.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Argus Zant posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_hedgehog
Current theory suggests that a mutation of the Sonic gene is a potential cause of Cyclopia.

Well that's no good.

Socialized
Oct 27, 2010

My wife's grandparents lost a pregnancy due to this, in the 50s.

Anyways, here's something to ruin your day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monster_Study

A speech pathologist subjects children to psychological abuse to try proving a hypothesis about why children stutter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Iowa_turret_explosion

One of the turrets on a battleship explodes while testing munitions, killing 47 sailors. The story gets loving CRAZY. Three investigations occurred (with people who had massive conflicts of interest in charge). A sailor who may or may not have been gay gets scapegoated. Evidence is literally thrown overboard. It's a long article, but my god is it ever worth reading.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Nyos#The_1986_disaster

A crater lake releases a huge amount of Carbon Dioxide, which then blankets the surrounding area and kills 1,700 people. Pretty unnerving that something like that can just up and happen.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

The best is that you still must be tested for this, even if you're scheduling an abortion and EVEN I YOUR FETUS IS NON-VIABLE.

I totes appreciated that extra blood-draw.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

SporkTSI posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Nyos#The_1986_disaster

A crater lake releases a huge amount of Carbon Dioxide, which then blankets the surrounding area and kills 1,700 people. Pretty unnerving that something like that can just up and happen.

Limnic eruptions in general are loving scary. It can happen in any stratified lake (that is, where different levels of water do not mix) but Nyos and a few others they occur in are unique because they have gasses coming out of volcanic vents somewhere on the bottom of the lake. So, don't be scared of your local lake just up-and erupting millions of litres of carbon dioxide. :)

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
I got two.

Baby Farming

quote:

Baby farming was a term used in late-Victorian Era Britain (and, less commonly, in Australia and the United States) to mean the taking in of an infant or child for payment; if the infant was young, this usually included wet-nursing (breast-feeding by a woman not the mother). Some baby farmers "adopted" children for lump-sum payments, while others cared for infants for periodic payments. Though baby farmers were paid in the understanding that care would be provided, the term "baby farmer" was used as an insult, and improper treatment was usually implied. Illegitimacy and its attendant stigma were usually the impetus for a mother's decision to put her children "out to nurse" with a baby farmer, but baby farming also encompassed foster care and adoption in the period before they were regulated by British law.

[...]

Particularly in the case of lump-sum adoptions, it was more profitable for the baby farmer if the infant or child she adopted died, since the small payment could not cover the care of the child for long. Some baby farmers adopted numerous children and then neglected them or murdered them outright (see infanticide). Several were tried for murder, manslaughter, or criminal neglect and were hanged. Margaret Waters (executed 1870) and Amelia Dyer (executed 1896) were two infamous British baby farmers, as were Amelia Sach and Annie Walters (executed 1903). The last baby farmer to be executed in Britain was Rhoda Willis, who was hanged in Wales in 1907. The only woman to be executed in New Zealand, Minnie Dean, was a baby farmer. In Germany and Scandinavia there was an euphemism for this activity: "Engelmacherin" (German), "änglamakerska" (Swedish) and "englemagerske" (Danish), all literally meaning a female "angel maker".

Baby farms were basically the human-version of puppy mills, essentially, except that the puppy miller has a incentive to try to keep a big portion of their animals alive long enough to sell.

Also, meet David A. Johnston, who died in the line of duty on May 18, 1980, monitoring Mt. St. Helens as it erupted.

quote:

At 8:32 a.m. local time the next day (18 May), an earthquake measuring magnitude 5.1 on the Richter scale rocked the area, triggering the landslide that started the main eruption. In a matter of seconds, vibrations from the earthquake loosened 2.7 cubic kilometers (0.6 cu mi) of rock on the mountain's north face and summit, creating a massive landslide. With the loss of the confining pressure of the overlying rock, the caldera of Mount St. Helens began to rapidly emit steam and other volcanic gases. A few seconds later, it erupted laterally, sending swift pyroclastic flows down its flanks at near supersonic speeds. These flows were later joined by lahars.[17] Before being struck by a series of flows that, at their fastest, would have taken less than a minute to reach his position, Johnston managed to radio "Vancouver! Vancouver! This is it!" to his USGS co-workers. Seconds later, the signal from the radio went silent.[18] Initially, there was some debate as to whether Johnston had survived; records soon showed a radio message from fellow eruption victim and amateur radio operator Gerry Martin, located near the Coldwater peak and further north of Johnston's position, reporting his sighting of the eruption enveloping the Coldwater II observation post. As the blast overwhelmed Johnston's post, Martin declared solemnly, "Gentlemen, the uh, camper and the car sitting over to the south of me is covered. It's gonna get me, too. I can't get out of here ..." before his radio, too, went silent.[19]

:smith:

e. Argus Zant beat me to David A. Johnston on the previous page.

platedlizard has a new favorite as of 10:03 on Dec 27, 2012

Aryn Coltzien
Jun 5, 2011

This is probably the most unnerving murder case I've ever read, although that Hi Fi murders case is pretty haunting. Both of these, I think, are scary due to the randomness and severity of the murder.

Edit: Just realized some numbskull heavily edited that wiki page; it no longer lists the crime in the detail it once did. Here's a page that looks like copied the original wiki article (or vice versa). It does contain pictures, just a warning! Worse has been posted, but it's still bad.
:nms: Junko Furuta murder with pictures :nms:

Here's a link sans pictures that still conveys the story, for any who just don't want the visual:
Junko Furuta murder without pictures

Also oh my god that "Frogbaby" disorder and the cannibalism-inducing Russian designer drug are going to haunt my nightmares. :gonk: At least I can avoid the latter by just not taking it. I stared at that picture of the arm for a good minute before my brain could wrap around the concept that that was an actual arm oh god close the page.

Aryn Coltzien has a new favorite as of 10:23 on Dec 27, 2012

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Queej posted:

So in looking at some of these wikipedia entries, I found this category...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Children_kept_in_captivity

ugh...

Every story under the category is awful but I think what happened to Genie, the feral child, is the worst.

Wikipedia posted:

During the day she was tied to a child's toilet, in diapers. At night, she was often bound in a sleeping bag and placed in a crib with a metal-screen cover, her arms and legs immobilized. Genie's father apparently beat her with a large wooden plank if she vocalized, and barked and growled at her like a dog to keep her quiet, instilling in her an intense fear of cats and dogs which persisted after she was freed.

That was for the first thirteen years of her life. She was freed, but she later went through a handful of foster parents that were also abusive. The scientific community learned a lot from Genie, since her severe linguistic disabilities revealed a lot about critical language development windows and how cognition and language are related. But it's absolutely awful that we had to learn about these things from someone treated so badly. The researchers working with her actually made some progress in getting her to speak and form extremely simple sentences. And then they lost funding/interest and she went to the foster families that abused her enough to undo all the progress that had been made.

Duskfiend
Apr 5, 2011

Awwwk! Awwwk!
gently caress this thread for piquing my curiosity and making me reread all the insane stuff from the internet that I thought I had forgotten.

The Arecibo message, as well as the Voyager satellites and any attempt to communicate with extrasolar life, always freak me out. I know a lot of you would disagree but I just want to shout at researchers doing this sort of thing to just stop transmissions.

Either they accept Earthlings as friendly and we all go on space adventures and find peace, or they come to investigate and end up smiting our race and taking our planet.

However, radio waves travel slowly so I'm not all THAT worried.

The philosophy articles are also pretty good if they're in the nihilistic vein, they make human life seem so worthless I could just cry.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Frostwerks posted:

Well that's no good.

At least they go fast.

Handsomeharald
May 7, 2009

Aryn Coltzien posted:

This is probably the most unnerving murder case I've ever read, although that Hi Fi murders case is pretty haunting. Both of these, I think, are scary due to the randomness and severity of the murder.

Edit: Just realized some numbskull heavily edited that wiki page; it no longer lists the crime in the detail it once did. Here's a page that looks like copied the original wiki article (or vice versa). It does contain pictures, just a warning! Worse has been posted, but it's still bad.

Here's a link sans pictures that still conveys the story, for any who just don't want the visual:
Junko Furuta murder without pictures

Also oh my god that "Frogbaby" disorder and the cannibalism-inducing Russian designer drug are going to haunt my nightmares. :gonk: At least I can avoid the latter by just not taking it. I stared at that picture of the arm for a good minute before my brain could wrap around the concept that that was an actual arm oh god close the page.

Ugh. Guys if you do one good thing today, make it to not read that. I've been around the virtual shockblock, but reading that made me sick to my stomach. Please, just do yourself a favour and not look. Maybe go outside or something, I dunno. Just...Don't.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Well I clicked on this thread thinking hey I can't wait to find out about some more mysterious ocean sounds or a spooky ghost or a crab that got born with human hands but no it's all find out about the iniquity of mankind and all this horrible poo poo that people do to other people for no reason at all and how little effort the police will put into investigating it and how little punishment the offenders will receive and how they'll just do it again and how the victims sole remembrance in the annals of history will be a page on sickestmegamurders.com with their name written in flashing gif text that drips blood or a tawdry movie adaptation so people can rubberneck at their suffering for all eternity.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_11_in_popular_culture#Speech_prepared_by_Safire

The speech prepared for Nixon to give if the Apollo 11 astronauts got stranded on the Moon.

quote:

"Fate has ordained that the men who went to the moon to explore in peace will stay on the moon to rest in peace. These brave men, Neil Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin, know that there is no hope for their recovery. But they also know that there is hope for mankind in their sacrifice.

These two men are laying down their lives in mankind's most noble goal: the search for truth and understanding.

They will be mourned by their families and friends; they will be mourned by their nation; they will be mourned by the people of the world; they will be mourned by a Mother Earth that dared send two of her sons into the unknown.

In their exploration, they stirred the people of the world to feel as one; in their sacrifice, they bind more tightly the brotherhood of man.

In ancient days, men looked at stars and saw their heroes in the constellations. In modern times, we do much the same, but our heroes are epic men of flesh and blood.

Others will follow, and surely find their way home. Man's search will not be denied. But these men were the first, and they will remain the foremost in our hearts.

For every human being who looks up at the moon in the nights to come will know that there is some corner of another world that is forever mankind."

Nixon was also supposed to call the "widows-to-be" and then encourage the astronauts to turn off their communicators. Grim.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Well I clicked on this thread thinking hey I can't wait to find out about some more mysterious ocean sounds or a spooky ghost or a crab that got born with human hands but no it's all find out about the iniquity of mankind and all this horrible poo poo that people do to other people for no reason at all and how little effort the police will put into investigating it and how little punishment the offenders will receive and how they'll just do it again and how the victims sole remembrance in the annals of history will be a page on sickestmegamurders.com with their name written in flashing gif text that drips blood or a tawdry movie adaptation so people can rubberneck at their suffering for all eternity.

Welcome to Earth!

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL

quote:

horrible soulcrushing examples of human cruelty

I'm conflicted. I really, really need a hug, but at the same time I want absolutely nobody to touch me for a while.

gently caress everything

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.

ellbent posted:

I'm conflicted. I really, really need a hug, but at the same time I want absolutely nobody to touch me for a while.

gently caress everything

Well, I find some comfort in that as awful as they are, humanity as a whole have mostly the capability to not be like that. Or all else failing, too lazy to actually get out and torture people.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

Aryn Coltzien posted:

Christ, it seems like that School Girl in Concrete guro manga TONED DOWN the case.

Promethea
May 22, 2010

"The car is on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel.
And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides.

And a dark wind blows."
I'm obviously a bit of an outlier but I am really unnerved by bizarre accidents. So in that spirit, one minute you're just minding your own business, standing on a walkway above a Kansas City hotel atrium when suddenly the fucker collapses, sending you hurtling four floors to the ground.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyatt_Regency_walkway_collapse

quote:

The Hyatt Regency hotel walkway collapse occurred on Friday July 17, 1981 at the Hyatt Regency Kansas City in Kansas City, Missouri, United States where two connected walkways collapsed and plunged into the lobby holding a tea dance, killing 114 people and injuring 216 others.

The resulting investigation, which uncovered evidence of massive amounts of engineering cutting of corners/ insufficient care taken during the hotel's construction makes interesting, if grim reading.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008

Promethea posted:

I'm obviously a bit of an outlier but I am really unnerved by bizarre accidents.

Man, is this wiki page for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unusual_deaths

quote:

1755: Henry Hall died from injuries he sustained after molten lead fell into his throat while looking up at a burning lighthouse

That is straight Final Destination: 18th Century style.

Splash Damage
May 23, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
jesus christ

Promethea
May 22, 2010

"The car is on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel.
And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides.

And a dark wind blows."

Oh, it's a classic page! Personal 'fave', which played on my mind when I read about it some years back, the unfortunate starlet who accidentally jumped into the chimney on a hotel roof, landing in the boiler.

Promethea has a new favorite as of 21:59 on Dec 27, 2012

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Wikipedia posted:

Uroko Onoja, a Nigerian polygamist businessman, died after being forced by five of his six wives to have sex with each of them. Onoja was caught having sex with his youngest wife by the remaining five, who were jealous of him paying her more attention. The remaining wives demanded that he also have sex with each of them, threatening him with knives and sticks. He had intercourse with four of them in succession, but stopped breathing before having sex with the fifth.

Not a bad way to go.

Ybrik
Jan 1, 2008

Stormageddon posted:

Man, is this wiki page for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unusual_deaths

That is straight Final Destination: 18th Century style.

That link owns-"1935: Baseball player Len Koenecke was bludgeoned to death with a fire extinguisher by the crew of an aircraft he had chartered, after provoking a fight with the pilot while the plane was in the air."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Promethea posted:

The resulting investigation, which uncovered evidence of massive amounts of engineering cutting of corners/ insufficient care taken during the hotel's construction makes interesting, if grim reading.

There are photos from the Regency collapse. They are as bad as you would expect.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Blog Free or Die posted:

To continue the running theme of horrifying serial killers, Deal Corll, AKA The Candyman. His dad owned a candy company, of which he was VP after he left the army. Got the nickname for his habit of giving out free candy to kids and teenagers around town. Became infamous when it was discovered that he'd kidnap teenage boys, whom he brutally tortured and raped before killing. The descriptions of what he did are the most :nms: things I've ever come across.

The worst part? Well aside from the fact he had two teenaged accomplices, the police had no idea this was going on. The only reason it came to light is when his accomplices turned on and shot him; the police initially believed their 'he was a serial killer' story was a fabrication. Turns out, whenever a kid disappeared, the police would just file it as a 'runaway' and move on. They did this at least 28 times.

Dean Corll was also nicknamed 'The Pied Piper'. gently caress.

True-life gore and crime scene pics can be very shocking and nauseating and all, but the blurry, bloodless polaroid of the unknown victim in that article is going to give me nightmares forever.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008

MrMidnight posted:

Not a bad way to go.

Death by Snoo Snoo, indeed. There was one I read about a guy having heart failure after taking a shitton of viagra and loving for like 24 hours straight.

The worst ragequit ever:

quote:

1994: Jeremy Brenno, a 16-year-old golfer from Gloversville, New York, was killed when he threw his club against a bench in a fit of rage, breaking the shaft. Part of the shaft bounced back and pierced his heart.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Promethea posted:

I'm obviously a bit of an outlier but I am really unnerved by bizarre accidents. So in that spirit, one minute you're just minding your own business, standing on a walkway above a Kansas City hotel atrium when suddenly the fucker collapses, sending you hurtling four floors to the ground.

Its just shocking how poorly constructed it was. I mean, look at this:

Simple common sense could tell you that the second one was a bad idea.

Blackfish
Sep 12, 2007

we have to be prepared to smoke a thousand joints before our quest is complete

Promethea posted:

Wow, I've stayed in that hotel several times and had no idea anything like that had happened there. It's sad that Hyatt Corp isn't donating to the memorial, but I'm glad that Starwood is.

Here's an infamous serial killer: Dennis Rader, aka BTK. My best friend lived in Park City during the time when he was a dogcatcher, and said he was about as creepy as you would expect.

Edit: Here's an article from our local paper that's more in-depth, what he did was incredibly horrifying :( http://www.kansas.com/2005/08/18/19161/litany-of-horror.html

Blackfish has a new favorite as of 22:37 on Dec 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Stormageddon posted:

Well, I find some comfort in that as awful as they are, humanity as a whole have mostly the capability to not be like that. Or all else failing, too lazy to actually get out and torture people.

Look on the bright side! Back in the olden days, this kind of brutality was routine and occurred to criminals, anyone who pissed off the authorities, and the citizens of the losing side of a war. Now it's relegated to a tenaciously psychopathic subset of first-worlders.

• Locked thread