Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah the Ourang Medan didn't exist; from the wiki:

Ships that size leave a huge paperwork footprint - Flag state registers, classification societies lists, contracts and charter parties, employement contracts, lawsuits, you name it. It's a cool story, but it didn't happen. It would definetly be in Lloyd's shipping register or something similar.

Not that there weren't plenty of spooky ship stories in history, I think I've posted this one here before.

The thing that makes this sort of story unnerving is that there's a tiny little doubt at the back of your mind. Sure, the Orang Medan probably didn't exist, but there's at least a chance that it did and nobody will ever know for sure. It's the same with the Roanoke disappearance: they did vanish and nobody really knows what happened. Chances are that they integrated with the local tribes, but nobody really knows. That sliver of doubt makes all the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

FrozenVent posted:

We know for sure it didn't exist; it's not on anyone's lists. You can't run a commercial ship without leaving a shitton of paperwork behind ashore; it would probably be easier to live your life without an SSN. And are there still really any serious question as to the fate of Roanoke? Outside of those "MYSTERIES OF HISTORIES!!!" books every elementary school library comes stocked with?

Sure there are serious questions. Nobody knows for sure what happened. You have a hypothesis, but there is little in the way of solid evidence. There is indirect evidence, sure, but their fate is unknown. And pointing to a third-hand account of "grey eyed" Indians isn't any more conclusive than using the same kind of stories as evidence of what happened to Norse settlers centuries earlier.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

into the void posted:

This is probably a stupid question but can anyone explain why it doesn't seem to go the other way? Why don't these researchers or explorers walk away with some horrible disease the tribe is used to. Or do they?

God's will. Hail to the conquering Europeans, just in the eyes of their Lord.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
Here's one, a bit scary, a bit unnerving. Frodo the chimp, a member of the Kasakela Chimpanzee community that Jane Goodall documented, was an incredibly effective monkey hunter, and a brutal, forceful chimp-dictator. He also scratched up cartoonist Gary Larson's face and nearly broke Jane Goodall's neck. Despite his effectiveness as Chimp Stalin, he was ousted from his group when he became ill and nearly died. Fortunately, researchers gave him some antibiotics that saved his life.

And then, later that same year, he snatched an 18-month-old human baby from her mother's back. And ate it.

"The trio had just crossed a dry streambed when they surprised Frodo feeding on oil-palm fronds only 12 feet (4 meters) from the path. As the spouse of a park employee, the mother probably knew that park rules bar children under 12 from visiting the park, and she almost certainly was aware of the mortal danger posed by chimps. Her shock and terror must therefore have been unimaginably extreme as she watched the 121-pound (54-kilogram) Frodo draw near, wrest the baby girl from the niece's back, and disappear into the forest.

"By the time help arrived from the research team, Frodo had scrambled up a tree and was holding the limp form of the baby, which he had begun to eat. Lacking the defensive support that the larger group would have lent him, Frodo was easily scared off, and the baby girl's dead body was recovered."

Naturally, they euthanized him immediately. No wait, I mean, they didn't do anything about him and he's still out there in the jungle, awaiting the next tasty baby to come his way.

In conclusion, gently caress Frodo the chimp.

Inevitable has a new favorite as of 02:48 on Jun 10, 2013

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

Pick posted:

He also hosed and impregnated his mother. But they're not zoo animals, they're wild animals and they will do wild animal things.

Sure. But the chimp eating a human baby. That's not something I find very easy to be okay with.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Not quite accurate considering "As the spouse of a park employee, the mother probably knew that park rules bar children under 12 from visiting the park, and she almost certainly was aware of the mortal danger posed by chimps." I mean it sucks and cannot blame the mother or chimp, but it isn't like she was just hiking some random place, it did specifically bar children.

Intellectually, I agree with you. But emotionally, I'm going to admit that I'm unnerved that the charming, silly, intelligent and cuddly ape that so many of us saw riding around on Michael Jackson's shoulders or performing stunts on Lancelot Link or engaging in monkey shines on so very many television shows, documentaries and commercials is totally capable of being a predatory, cannibalistic, baby stealing, face destroying monster with the strength of five men.

And the fact that his name is "Frodo" doesn't help.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

Pick posted:

Like people!

Ah. I knew there was something very wrong with chimps that I would never be able to get past. And that's it.

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

Dross posted:

Your consciousness, the one that is experiencing this universe right now, will, according to this theory, at every split (place where there is more than one possible outcome, thus leading to a separate universe for each outcome), follow whichever branch does not end it. Therefore you can't die, it'll always be the other yous that die.

The jokes on "you" though. Because it's me. It's been me the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

Phlegmish posted:

Chicken, egg. A lot of the hostility that exists towards the Roma community stems from the fact that many of them do have a rather insular, ethnocentric mentality. As a general rule, they have little interest in becoming 'functioning, happy members' of whatever host society they happen to live in - which is of course the entire reason that they've managed to survive as a distinct group over the centuries. The idea that the problem is purely due to discrimination is fairly nonsensical, since many Western Europeans had the exact same attitude that you do when Roma people first started immigrating to Western Europe in the nineties and early 2000's.

I'm not sure what else to say. I'm certain this post will be condemned as xenophobic, but I genuinely believe that you have a very one-sided view of the issue.

My grandma says the same thing about Mexicans.

• Locked thread