Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

into the void posted:

Does anyone remember the case of the woman who claimed for years that someone was stalking her, but no one believed her. And one day she was found dead? They never had any suspects and some even thought that maybe she killed herself and staged it as a murder.
I think it was in a similar SA thread once, but I can't remember.

Cindy James. She was the subject of an episode of Unsolved Mysteries. I'm sure I've seen it on YouTube but I can't find it now.

http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/wiki/Cindy_James

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ignimbrite posted:

I remember being taught in history class that at one point the Australian government viewed Aboriginal peoples as native fauna and expected them to die out due to population decline (caused completely and utterly by the european invasion) or intergrate completely (as in, completely - no defining features or culture - all to be replaced by glorious european genes and culture) into the european society. As a result they instituted protectionism laws which directly contributed to the kidnapping of children - the stolen generation; which, by the way, was only apologised officially for by the government in 2008. The children of the stolen generation were kidnapped between 1909 and 1969. The previous prime minister before the apology refused to do such an apology because "Australians of this generation should not be required to accept guilt and blame for past actions and policies". Australian mistreatment of Aboriginal peoples is a national drat disgrace.

The phrase used in the popular press at the time was "a drop of ink in a bucket of milk".

Also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_of_Indigenous_Australians

The last actual hunt was in the 1920s (yes, organised missions to go out and massacre "aggressive" natives, mostly for killing stock for food) at least according to Wikipedia. I recall my lecturer in aboriginal studies saying something about one of these occurring somewhere up north in Western Australia sometime in the 60s, though I can't find the reference right now. He stressed that there were still people alive who remembered it all too vividly. And we (white Australia) wonder why aboriginal people have such a hard time just getting over it.

To be fair there's fairly intense debate over the word "genocide" and how reliable some of these accounts were (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_wars). But there's no doubt it was not at all bloodless and peaceful. Not to mention the whole ripping children away from their families and trying to make them white thing.

I wish I didn't know so much about this.

I love my country and most people here are generous, kind, good people. I honestly believe we have one of the best cultures in the world. But drat as a country we have some things to be ashamed of.

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Loving a country is reprehensible.

I'm sorry, maybe I phrased that the wrong way, since I know rampant patriotism can be a bad thing. Perhaps "I love living in Australia" would be more correct? Really didn't mean to offend :(

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Zombie Raptor posted:

I decided to spend some time learning more about the Port Arthur Massacre, as i had only read briefly about it in the earlier posts. I am, unsurprisingly, not liking what I'm seeing one bit. Wound up watching what was purported to be a police training video with footage of the event's aftermath and such on LiveLeak, and dear God that's disturbing. Also, Bryant wasn't just weird.

He was also the mental equivalent of a violent, stupid eleven year old. That's really disheartening, in some aspects.

Edit: Please, let's not make this a gun control debate. This thread still has life in it, I think. Let's not poo poo on that, because I think we know where it leads to (being gassed). Please?

The saddest thing for me about Bryant was the whole relationship he had with his wealthy benefactor. People have speculated that it was sexual but it seems to have been just a lovely caring friendship between the two of them. Apparently he grieved for her terribly. It was the money she left him after her death that enabled all the world travel etc btw in case anyone was wondering. I wonder if things would have been different if she'd lived a bit longer, or if he would still have snapped eventually anyhow :smith:

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Captainsalami posted:

I always thought of it as my brain degaussing like an old monitor, cause thats what it sounds like.

This is the best description of what it sounds like I've ever read, except 10x louder than a CRT degauss. Feels a bit like it too: POP...fizzle fizzle fizzle...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nockturne
Aug 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Pitnicker posted:

In other envenomating news from our Australia-of-the-Western-Hemisphere, have the Brazilian Wandering Spider, listed in the Guiness Book of World Records as "The Most Venomous Spider in the World." A rather large spider, growing up to about six inches across, this spider is an active predator, meaning it is a mobile sac of fangs and venom and doesn't leave a big conspicuous web to ward you away. Its activity patterns appear to be geared toward giving you the greatest likelihood of being an accidental victim: it roams the jungle floor at night, looking for prey, and hides in cover by day, a particular favorite spot being in bunches of bananas (it is also known as a "banana spider"). It will also hunker down in piles of clothes or thatched roofing and has a nasty reputation for falling on people from dilapidated roofs.

What's so bad about its venom? It's basically a more potent form of Black Widow venom, mixed with a dash of Brown Recluse for good measure. This means it has the intense pain, swelling, and stimulative effects of a Black Widow bite (as well as causing boners :awesome:) with the muscle/tissue dissolving effects of a Brown Recluse bite. So you get a lovely mix of a potentially fatal venom with the necrotizing potential of Brown Recluse bites! Awesome.

So, like Snake Island, if you don't wanna get bit just stay the hell away from Brazil, right? Not so! The Banana Spider has been known to hitch rides in crates of bananas sent for export, and has been found in Whole Foods and other grocery outlets as far away as the United States, Canada, and the UK. As a matter of fact, some years back a goon on these very forums found a very likely Wandering Spider specimen while working at a store in Canada (I think? Memory is hazy).

So the next time you reach for that bunch of bananas in the store, think of this post and cherish living life on the edge. :)

I haven't seen the movie since it came out but wasn't that the back story in arachnophobia? That one of these hitched a ride in some boxes and then interbred with a local spider...

Welp, totally misremembering it (sort of):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arachnophobia_(film)

"The story centers on a newly discovered Venezuelan spider being transported to a small American town that produces a new race of deadly spiders, which begin killing the town's residents one by one."

Wikipedia says it was a "horror comedy" film. THERE WAS NOTHING FUNNY ABOUT THAT FILM OK.

• Locked thread