Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

I lived in a neighbourhood where a local mentally ill individual would often run up and down the street in the early mornings, shrieking and yelling. So I woke up at 6am that day; it was absolutely freezing cold; there was blood-red light pouring through my window; and somebody was right outside just screaming and screaming and screaming uncontrollably. I honestly did think it was the end of the goddamn world.

Also people were jogging in it. I had to go outside in that 48C day we had earlier this year, and people were jogging in that too. What the gently caress is wrong with joggers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
Meanwhile, all across Europe, Romani culture and society is still being undermined and gradually eroded by the removal and institutionalisation of children on very shaky grounds.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Zeroisanumber posted:

The Antiziganism that runs rampant in Europe is fascinating to me because the US just doesn't have any significant cultural history with the Romany people, either positive or negative. It's such a weird cultural pathology in Europe that half of the Europeans that I've met have asked whether or not we have Romany in the States.

Next time someone mentions that to you, tell them that because there's no real endemic culture of antiziganism in the States, Romani people are able to get jobs and education and the end result is that they integrate as functioning, happy members of society. See if they get the point.

(There are antiziganists in the US too, of course, but you're right - it's not nearly as bad as in Europe.)

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Phobophilia posted:

I've read some pretty aggressive antiziganist stuff on these very forums, and honestly I have no idea what the gently caress because I don't know how to even respond.

Antiziganism is one of the last great bastions of intolerance no matter where you look. Nobody on SA is stupid enough to march into a discussion on race relations and go "But my friend was mugged by a black man! Blacks really do steal!", for example, and I'd like to think that most posters recognise that ethnic crime in America is due to centuries of cruelty, oppression and deprivation*. Yet even on these forums, I see the "But my friend was pickpocketed in Rome! Gypsies really do steal!" argument all the loving time, and nobody ever seems to consider the fact that there are centuries of cruelty, oppression and deprivation behind that problem, too.

I'm kind of on the soapbox about this today and I don't want to derail this thread into Post Your Favourite Antiziganist Hate Crime, so I'll just link to my A/T post and be done.

*Plus, white-on-black and white-on-Romani violent crime is far more common than vice versa, and almost always more brutal.

• Locked thread