Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowtown_murders

quote:

The Snowtown murders – also known as the Bodies-in-Barrels murders – were a series of homicides that took place in South Australia between August 1992 and May 1999. The name "Snowtown murders" refers to the town where the bodies were found, despite the fact that only one of the eleven victims was killed there, and none of the victims or the perpetrators were from Snowtown. The crimes were uncovered when the remains of eight victims were found in barrels of acid located in a rented former bank building on 20 May 1999, hence the other name.

quote:

The final murder was conducted in the bank building after the barrels had been moved there for storage. Of the scene encountered in this building, one Snowtown officer said: "It was a scene from the worst nightmare you've ever had; I don't think any of us was prepared for what we saw." The building was littered with tools used by the killers to torture and murder their victims, including:
Knives
A bloodstained saw
Double barrelled shotgun
Coils of rope
Rolls of tape
Rubber gloves
Cloths
A Variac metallurgy tool that the killers used to administer electric shocks to the genitals and other sensitive parts of the victim's body

:nms:

quote:

The pathologists report later revealed that prolonged torture had taken place using everyday tools such as pincers, pliers and clamps. Examples of all of these implements were found in the vault. Wendy Abraham QC, the deputy Director of Public Prosecutions, reported at the Supreme Court of South Australia that the victims were forced to call their torturers 'God', 'Master', 'Chief Inspector' and 'Lord Sir'.
Ray Davies was garrotted with a piece of rope and a tyre lever after being placed in a bath, attacked with clubs, repeatedly beaten about his genitals and had a toe crushed with a pair of pliers.
Frederick Brooks received electric shocks to his penis and testicles, and had a sparkler inserted into his urethra and then lit after which this torture was repeated a second time; after his toes were crushed and his nose and ears burned with cigarettes, he was allowed to choke to death on his gag.
A piece of the flesh of the eleventh and final victim, David Johnson, was fried and eaten by Bunting and Wagner.
:nms:

There's a movie about it called Snowtown, which is actually quite good but I felt uncomfortable the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

The Monkey Man posted:

Is it just me, or does Australia have way more than its share of serial killers? The wikipedia list for American serial killers lists 191, while the Australian list has 31, despite the fact that the US has more than ten times the population.

Time for a post about Ivan Milat. Apparently during the investigation, the police realised that all these other cases of random people sexually harassing backpackers were all actually just this guy. I suppose the Snowtown murders I linked to on the last page are a bit exceptional in terms of sadism, but for whatever reason this guy is much more well known within Australia than John Bunting (ringleader of the Snowtown murders).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivan_Milat_(serial_killer)

Please be careful indeed.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Since I've posted nothing but murder and torture in this thread thus far I'll try to post something a bit different.

Torpedo Juice
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torpedo_juice

quote:

Torpedo juice is American slang for an alcoholic beverage, first mixed in World War II, made from pineapple juice and the 180-proof grain alcohol fuel used in United States Navy torpedo motors.[1] Various poisonous additives were mixed into the fuel alcohol by Navy authorities to render the alcohol undrinkable, and various methods were employed by the U.S. sailors to separate the alcohol from the poison. Aside from the expected alcohol intoxication and subsequent hangover, the effects of drinking torpedo juice sometimes included mild or severe reactions to the poison, and the drink's reputation developed an early element of risk.

Voynich manuscript
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voynich_manuscript

quote:

The Voynich manuscript, described as "the world's most mysterious manuscript",[3] is a work which dates to the early 15th century (1404-1438), possibly from northern Italy.[1][2] It is named after the book dealer Wilfrid Voynich, who purchased it in 1912.

Some pages are missing, but the current version comprises about 240 vellum pages, most with illustrations. Much of the manuscript resembles herbal manuscripts of the 1500s, seeming to present illustrations and information about plants and their possible uses for medical purposes. However, most of the plants do not match known species, and the manuscript's script and language remain unknown and unreadable. Possibly some form of encrypted ciphertext, the Voynich manuscript has been studied by many professional and amateur cryptographers, including American and British codebreakers from both World War I and World War II. As yet, it has defied all decipherment attempts, becoming a cause célčbre of historical cryptology. The mystery surrounding it has excited the popular imagination, making the manuscript a subject of both fanciful theories and novels. None of the many speculative solutions proposed over the last hundred years has yet been independently verified.

Lichtenberg figure
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lichtenberg_figure

quote:

Lichtenberg figures (Lichtenberg-Figuren, or "Lichtenberg Dust Figures") are branching electric discharges that sometimes appear on the surface or the interior of insulating materials. They are named after the German physicist Georg Christoph Lichtenberg, who originally discovered and studied them. When they were first discovered, it was thought that their characteristic shapes might help to reveal the nature of positive and negative electric "fluids". In 1777, Lichtenberg built a large electrophorus to generate high voltage static electricity through induction. After discharging a high voltage point to the surface of an insulator, he recorded the resulting radial patterns by sprinkling various powdered materials onto the surface. By then pressing blank sheets of paper onto these patterns, Lichtenberg was able to transfer and record these images, thereby discovering the basic principle of modern Xerography.

Rear view of a lightning strike survivor displaying Lichtenberg figure on skin

Edit: grammar police.

Vladimir Poutine has a new favorite as of 09:17 on Dec 22, 2012

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

TurboTax posted:

I normally don't get that excited by tattoos, but one made from that design would be really impressive.

I pretty much thought the same thing when I saw it. That's one of the only injury scars you could get which actually looks really cool. Not only does it tell a story (:v: I got hit by lightning y'all), it also has an awesome organic and fractal quality to it.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
One of the most unnerving things about that is the fact that bestgore dot com exists.

Here are a few more Wiki pages:

Capgras delusion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capgras_delusion

quote:

The Capgras delusion (or Capgras syndrome) is a disorder in which a person holds a delusion that a friend, spouse, parent, or other close family member has been replaced by an identical-looking impostor. The Capgras delusion is classified as a delusional misidentification syndrome, a class of delusional beliefs that involves the misidentification of people, places, or objects (usually not in conjunction)[1]. It can occur in acute, transient, or chronic forms. Cases in which patients hold the belief that time has been "warped" or "substituted" have also been reported.[2]

Fermi paradox
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

quote:

The Fermi paradox (or Fermi's paradox) is the apparent contradiction between high estimates of the probability of the existence of extraterrestrial civilization and humanity's lack of contact with, or evidence for, such civilizations.[1] The basic points of the argument, made by physicists Enrico Fermi and Michael H. Hart, are:

The Sun is a young star. There are billions of stars in the galaxy that are billions of years older;
Some of these stars likely have Earth-like planets[2] which, if the Earth is typical, may develop intelligent life;
Presumably some of these civilizations will develop interstellar travel, as Earth seems likely to do;
At any practical pace of interstellar travel, the galaxy can be completely colonized in just a few tens of millions of years.

According to this line of thinking, the Earth should have already been colonized, or at least visited. But no convincing evidence of this exists. Furthermore, no confirmed signs of intelligence elsewhere have been spotted, either in our galaxy or the more than 80 billion other galaxies of the observable universe. Hence Fermi's question "Where is everybody?".

Surafend affair
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surafend_affair

quote:

In December 1918, a New Zealand soldier, 65779 Trooper Leslie Lowry, was woken from his sleep by an Arab man attempting to steal his bag which he was using as a pillow. The soldier pursued the thief and called for assistance from the picket guards on the camp's horselines. As he caught up, the thief turned and shot him with a revolver. Lowry was found lying in the sand, bleeding from a bullet wound to the chest. He died just as a doctor arrived, having said nothing. The camp was roused, and a group of New Zealand soldiers followed the footprints of the thief which ended about a hundred yards before the village of Surafend.[1] Soldiers set up a cordon around the village, and ordered the Sheikhs of the village to surrender the murderer, but they were evasive and denied any knowledge of the incident and its perpetrator. In addition, the death was brought to the attention of the staff of the division the following day, but by nightfall there had been no response on what action, if any, should be taken.[3] According to the police report, there was no evidence linking anyone from the village to the murder. The report states:

At 0930 on the 10th December 1918 the Police commenced to search the Village and found no trace whatsoever of the culprit, or even any other individual suspected of the crime. The only material clue was that of a Native Cap (similar to headgear worn by Bedouins) which was picked up by a mate of the deceased, and handed to me by Captain Cobb. This was found on the scene where the Soldier was shot and killed.[1]

The following day, the men of the New Zealand Mounted Rifles prepared for what was to take place that night. Early in the evening, around two hundred soldiers entered the village, expelling the women and children.[2] Armed with heavy sticks and bayonets, the soldiers then set upon the remaining villagers whilst also burning the houses.[3] Somewhere upwards of about 40 people may have been killed in the attack on Surafend and the outlying Bedouin camp.[1] The casualty figures depend upon the testimony from the reporting authority. There is no certain figure and one account puts the figure at more than 100. Also there were also the unknown numbers of injured who were tended to by the field ambulance units.

Sadako Sasaki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadako_Sasaki

quote:

Sadako Sasaki (佐々木 禎子 Sasaki Sadako?, January 7, 1943 – October 25, 1955) was a Japanese girl who was two years old when the atomic bomb was dropped on August 6, 1945, near her home by Misasa Bridge in Hiroshima, Japan. Sadako is remembered through the story of a thousand origami cranes before her death, and is to this day a symbol of innocent victims of war.
That last one is pretty :smith: if you don't already know about it, but worth a read.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Ringo Star Get posted:

The whole story on those that died in Everest and heir bodies still being there is creepy. I can't fid the link but there are some incredible pictures of corpses, each from different times of hiking style, just littering the path the climbers take. You're very likely to see them if you go hiking, and they're likely to be there for a while considering that its tough as hell to recover bodies. You have to hope hat a strong wind or an avalanche brings your body down.

You're possibly thinking of this link, which was posted in GBS a while back. Obviously a little :nms: for dead people: http://godheadv.blogspot.com.au/2010/04/abandoned-on-everest.html It's really like another planet up there; if you run into trouble, you're really hosed.

Also a video on the discovery of Mallory's body on Everest, which still looked fresh nearly 80 years after his death (again, potentially :nms:) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFr1KdY6aiw. I had to link it in case anybody has video embeds turned on, since the preview was literally just a picture of his body. It's a bit of a grey area whether or not he reached the summit before Hillary but he obviously didn't survive.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Mallory

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

As I recall (from that one undergrad archaeology class, you know how it is) there have also been Neanderthal skulls found that clearly represent old folks whose teeth had long since worn down and/or been lost to the point where they would have found it very difficult to eat well, so that's another case where other people would have been feeding and caring for a helpless group member. People doing people things a long time ago.

Incidentally, I went to a seminar a couple of months ago where a guy posited that the rise of agriculture was responsible for tooth decay. Basically the shift from protein-based diets to much more carbohydrate-rich wheat-based diets let to a radical shift in which phylogenetic groups of bacteria are represented in the mouth. There was a shift towards Lactobacillus and Streptococcus mutans; the primary species of bacteria involved in tooth decay. So hunter gatherers wouldn't have had teeth that were that bad, despite the absence of toothbrushes. The main problem was physical wear.

I did my undergrad in microbiology and there are plenty of examples from that field that can be posted here. One of my favourites is B virus. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herpes_B_virus

quote:

In the natural host, the virus exhibits pathogenesis similar to that of herpes simplex virus (HSV) in humans. Conversely, when humans are zoonotically infected with B virus, patients can present with severe central nervous system disease, resulting in permanent neurological dysfunction or death. Severity of the disease increases for untreated patients, with a case fatality rate of approximately 80%. Early diagnosis and subsequent treatment are the linchpins of surviving the infection.
That wiki article doesn't totally do it justice. Think standard herpes infection, but with a massive fatality rate. And just like herpes simplex virus, once you pass the primary infection, you are actively shedding live virus particles from lesions in your mouth or genitals for the rest of your life. So if you happen to be one of the 20% of people who survive the virus, you're shedding an incredibly dangerous virus for the rest of your life. So the controversial question is: what do you do with the survivors?

And of course, for any post on pathogens I really can't go past Ophiocordyceps unilateralis. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordyceps_unilateralis

quote:

Ophiocordyceps unilateralis is a parasitoidal fungus that infects ants such as Camponotus leonardi, and alters their behavior in order to ensure the widespread distribution of its spores. This is a prime example of such a parasitoid.

quote:

The fungus's spores enter the body of the insect likely through the cuticle by enzymatic activity, where they begin to consume the non-vital soft tissues. Yeast stages of the fungus spread in the ant's body and presumably produce compounds that affect the ant's brain and change its behaviour by unknown mechanisms, causing the insect to climb up the stem of a plant and use its mandibles to secure itself to the plant. Infected ants bite the leaf veins with abnormal force, leaving dumbbell-shaped marks. A search through plant fossil databases revealed similar marks on a fossil leaf from the Messel pit which is 48 million years old.[5][6]
The fungus then kills the ant, and continues to grow as its hyphae invade more soft tissues and structurally fortify the ant's exoskeleton.[2] More mycelia then sprout out of the ant, and securely anchor it to the plant substrate while secreting antimicrobials to ward off competition.[2] When the fungus is ready to reproduce, its fruiting bodies grow from the ant's head and rupture, releasing the spores. This process takes 4 to 10 days.
It creates zombie ants :black101:
Here's a short and creepy video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKjBIBBAL8

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Promethea posted:

Yikes. What happened with previous survivors then? :ohdear:

Also, when the virus in the survivors starts shedding again, do they have to battle the odds to survive all over again or is that just something that happens first time round?

No it's just the primary infection that's dangerous, unless you become immunocompromised. I'm not to sure but if I recall correctly the survivors are put on an anti-viral called Aciclovir for the rest of their lives and that allows them interact with other people etc. Not that there still isn't a risk of them transmitting the virus though.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

SC Bracer posted:

Me too :smith:

I had a CD about space since I was a crazy astronomy kid, and when I found out that the sun was going to explode eventually, I burst into tears and threw it out the window.

For content, I always found the Union Carbide Bhopal disaster in India terrifying, especially when I first heard of it, when I was about twelve or so. It's no explosion, but imagine dying slowly and painfully, suffocated by a toxic gas...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhopal_disaster

:smith:

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

magic pantaloons posted:

More horrific killers from the Land Downunder:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Arthur_massacre_(Australia)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Bryant

Martin Bryant killed 35 people and injured 23 with a nearly 100% in shooting accuracy despite his subnormal IQ of 66. The saddest part of this story is how he killed two little girls and their mother:

The interesting thing about that wiki page was that because it was a thorough investigation it describes every event in such detail. For example, the murders in Broad Arrow cafe only took 15 seconds but they get given 12 paragraphs describing where/how everyone got shot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_War On that note, Tasmania in general has an incredibly violent history. The genocide there was even more thorough than mainland Australia.

quote:

In combination with epidemic impacts of introduced Eurasian infectious diseases, to which the Tasmanian Aborigines had no immunity, the conflict had such impact on the Tasmanian Aboriginal population that they were reported to have been exterminated.[4][5][10]
Small remnant groups' surviving the Black War were relocated to Bass Strait Islands. Their descendants continue today.[citation needed] Much of their languages, local ecological knowledge, and original cultures are now lost to Tasmania, perhaps with the exception of archaeological records plus historical records made at the time.[11]
And wow at this:

quote:

H. G. Wells, in Chapter One of his novel The War of the Worlds, published in 1898, wrote:
"We must remember what ruthless and utter destruction our own species has wrought, not only upon animals such as the vanished bison and dodo, but also upon its own inferior races. The Tasmanians, in spite of their human likeness, were entirely swept out of existence in a war of extermination waged by European immigrants, in the space of fifty years."[31]
This text from H. G. Wells was originally included as one of Microsoft's speech recognition engine training exercises for the user to read out loud into the microphone,[32] but the controversial paragraph at the end was removed in a later version.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Yeah, when the truck first came to Africa it did change the dynamics of disease spread. That's always an important factor to consider when you're talking about diseases which seemingly emerged out of nowhere in the second half of the 20th century.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Actually, the toxoplasmosis kills him because he's immunocompromised by AIDS :spergin:

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

quote:

The Year Without a Summer (also known as the Poverty Year, The Summer that Never Was, Year There Was No Summer and Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death[1]) was 1816, in which severe summer climate abnormalities caused average global temperatures to decrease by 0.4–0.7 °C (0.7–1.3 °F),[2] resulting in major food shortages across the Northern Hemisphere.[3][4] It is believed that the anomaly was caused by a combination of a historic low in solar activity with a volcanic winter event, the latter caused by a succession of major volcanic eruptions capped by the 1815 eruption of Mount Tambora, in the Dutch East Indies (Indonesia), the largest known eruption in over 1,300 years, which occurred during the concluding decades of the Little Ice Age, potentially adding to the existing cooling that had been periodically ongoing since 1350 AD.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Mescal posted:

The difference between lowest and highest estimates on these are mostly saying "It could have been 2x or 4x of that number." But look at the European colonization of the Americas. Maybe two million Indians died, maybe a hundred million? How is that... our estimate?

Didn't the conquest of the Aztec empire (including smallpox) kill about 11 million on its own? How is 2 million even close to an estimate for both continents?

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Heavy Lobster posted:

Do cryptids count?

While we're on criptids, I'm not sure any of them (except maybe the random big cat sightings) are necessary believable or even physically possible but I do have some favourites from my part of the world. I basically just like them because they're usually fairly surreal.

Bunyips

Bunyip (1935), artist unknown, from the National Library of Australia digital collections.

quote:

The bunyip, or kianpraty,[1] is a large mythical creature from Aboriginal mythology, said to lurk in swamps, billabongs, creeks, riverbeds, and waterholes. The origin of the word bunyip has been traced to the Wemba-Wemba or Wergaia language of Aboriginal people of South-Eastern Australia.[2][3][4] However, the bunyip appears to have formed part of traditional Aboriginal beliefs and stories throughout Australia, although its name varied according to tribal nomenclature.

quote:

Descriptions of bunyips vary widely. George French Angus may have collected a description of a bunyip in his account of a "water spirit" from the Moorundi people of the Murray River before 1847, stating it is "much dreaded by them… It inhabits the Murray; but…they have some difficulty describing it. Its most usual form…is said to be that of an enormous starfish."[10] Robert Brough Smyth's Aborigines of Victoria of 1878 devoted ten pages to the bunyip, but concluded "in truth little is known among the blacks respecting its form, covering or habits; they appear to have been in such dread of it as to have been unable to take note of its characteristics."[11] However, common features in many 19th-century newspaper accounts include a dog-like face, dark fur, a horse-like tail, flippers, and walrus-like tusks or horns or a duck-like bill.[12]
The Challicum bunyip, an outline image of a bunyip carved by Aborigines into the bank of Fiery Creek, near Ararat, Victoria, was first recorded by The Australasian newspaper in 1851. According to the report, the bunyip had been speared after killing an Aboriginal man. Antiquarian Reynell Johns claimed that until the mid-1850s, Aboriginal people made a "habit of visiting the place annually and retracing the outlines of the figure [of the bunyip] which is about 11 paces long and 4 paces in extreme breadth."[13]

Yara-ma-yha-who Seriously, do a GIS of this is you like weird poo poo

quote:

The Yara-ma-yha-who is a creature from Australian Aboriginal folklore. This creature resembles a little red man with a very big head and large mouth with no teeth. On the ends of its hands and feet are suckers. It lives in fig trees and does not hunt for food, but waits until an unsuspecting traveler rests under the tree. It then drops onto the victim and drains their blood using the suckers on its hands and feet, making them weak. It then consumes the person, drinks some water, and then takes a nap. When the Yara-ma-yha-who awakens, it regurgitates the victim, leaving it shorter than before. The victim's skin also has a reddish tint to it that it didn't have before.[1][2] It repeats this process several times. At length, the victim is transformed into a Yara-ma-yha-who themself. According to legend, the Yara-ma-yha-who will only prey upon a living person, so (hypothetically speaking) you could survive an encounter with this monster by "playing-dead" until sunset; the creature only hunts during the day.
:stare:

Yowie

quote:

The origin of the term "yowie" in the context of unidentified hominids is unclear. Some nineteenth century writers suggested that it simply arose through the aforementioned Aboriginal legends. Robert Holden recounts several stories that support this from the nineteenth century, including this European account from 1842;
“ The natives of Australia ... believe in ... [the] Yahoo ... This being they describe as resembling a man ... of nearly the same height, ... with long white hair hanging down from the head over the features ... the arms as extraordinarily long, furnished at the extremities with great talons, and the feet turned backwards, so that, on flying from man, the imprint of the foot appears as if the being had travelled in the opposite direction. Altogether, they describe it as a hideous monster of an unearthy character and ape-like appearance.[3]

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
I somehow managed to avoid those beheading videos for years until my brother randomly showed me his new phone and enthusiastically said "check this out" and showed me a guy getting his head sawn off in Afghanistan on his tiny phone screen :wtc: I've successfully steered clear of the Dnepropetrovsk maniacs video though. gently caress that.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

NaturalLow posted:

If you die in a prominent spot, climbers might even start using your corpse as a landmark! (Don't worry, no photos on this one)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Boots

I think the one that weirded me out the most was "Technicolor Hill" or something like that. So named because so many climbers corpses are concentrated there and they're all still wearing this really colorful climbing gear.

It's called "Rainbow Valley". Just before the summit there's a pretty sketchy thin ridge you have to walk along the top of, and it's just below that.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
The worst prion to have in my opinion would be Fatal familial insomnia. (again, apologies if this is a repeat, there have been a few disease tangents itt)

quote:

Fatal familial insomnia (FFI) is a very rare autosomal dominant inherited prion disease of the brain. It is almost always caused by a mutation to the protein PrPC, but can also develop spontaneously in patients with a non-inherited mutation variant called sporadic Fatal Insomnia (sFI). FFI has no known cure and involves progressively worsening insomnia, which leads to hallucinations, delirium, and confusional states like that of dementia.[1] The average survival span for patients diagnosed with FFI after the onset of symptoms is 18 months.[1]

quote:

It has been proven that sleeping pills and barbiturates are unhelpful; on the contrary, in 74% of cases they have been shown to worsen the clinical manifestations and hasten the course of the disease.[13]
One of the most notable cases is that of Michael Corke, a music teacher from Chicago, Illinois. He began to have trouble sleeping almost immediately after his 40th birthday in 1991; following these first signs of insomnia, his health and state of mind quickly deteriorated as his condition worsened. Eventually, sleep became completely unattainable, and he was soon admitted to the state hospital. Medical professionals, at first unsure of the nature of his illness, initially diagnosed multiple sclerosis; in a bid to provide temporary relief in the later stages of the disease, physicians induced a coma with the use of sedatives, to no avail as his brain still failed to shut down completely. Corke died in 1992 a month before his 41st birthday, by which time he had been completely sleep-deprived for six months.[14]

Arsenic Lupin posted:

As long as we're on diseases, I've always been freaked out by the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweating_sickness. It showed up in England 1485, killed a whole bunch of people, moved from place to place (including repeated trips back to the homeland), and then vanished after 1551. It often killed within hours.

Nobody knows what the heck it was. It could still be out there, in some animal reservoir, waiting to pounce.

For what it's worth, I was talking about this with two virology academics recently and they were both convinced it was Hantavirus.

While we're doing diseases:
Crimean–Congo hemorrhagic fever

quote:

Crimean–Congo hemorrhagic fever (CCHF) is a widespread tick-borne viral disease, a zoonosis of domestic animals and wild animals, that may affect humans. The pathogenic virus, especially common in East and West Africa, is a member of the Bunyaviridae family of RNA viruses. Clinical disease is rare in infected mammals, but commonly severe in infected humans, with a 30% mortality rate. Outbreaks of illness are usually attributable to handling infected animals or people.

Typically, after a 1–3 day incubation period following a tick bite (5–6 days after exposure to infected blood or tissues), flu-like symptoms appear, which may resolve after one week. In up to 75% of cases, however, signs of hemorrhage appear within 3–5 days of the onset of illness in case of bad containment of the first symptoms: first mood instability, agitation, mental confusion and throat petechiae, then soon nosebleeds, bloody urine and vomiting, and black stools. The liver becomes swollen and painful. Disseminated intravascular coagulation may occur as well as acute kidney failure and shock, and sometimes acute respiratory distress syndrome. Patients usually begin to show signs of recovery after 9–10 days from when the symptoms appear, however 30% of the cases result in death on the second week of the illness.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

BoyG posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Molasses_Disaster

The idea of drowning in molasses is pretty terrifying.

The idea of a wave of molasses travelling at 35 mph (56 km/h) is equally terrifying.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Oliver Cromwell's head was buried 310 years after he died and changed owners quite a few times. I tried to break the article down into a timeline of sorts.

quote:

Following the death of Oliver Cromwell on 3 September 1658, he was given a public funeral at Westminster Abbey, equal to those of monarchs before him.

quote:

In 1685 a storm broke the pole upon which his head stood

quote:

A sentinel guarding the Exchequer's Office came across it, after which he hid it under his cloak and stored it, hidden, in the chimney of his house. The loss of the head was still significant in London at the time, and many searched for it, hoping to claim the “considerable reward”[16] being offered for its safe return. The guard, however, after seeing “the placards which ordered any one possessing it to take it to a certain office...was afraid to divulge the secret”.

quote:

However, only circumstantial evidence has been established for the whereabouts of the head following its fall from Westminster Hall until 1710, when it was in the possession of Claudius Du Puy, a Swiss-French collector of curiosities, who displayed it in his private museum in London

quote:

By Du Puy's death in 1738, the head had shifted in importance and status. When it was atop Westminster Hall high above the London skyline, it gave a sinister and potent warning to spectators. By the 18th century, it had become a curiosity and an attraction, and it had lost its original sinister message.

quote:

The head fell out of prominence until the late 18th century, when it was in the possession of a failed comic actor and drunkard named Samuel Russell.

quote:

Russell did not take the correct care with the head, however; in drunken gatherings, he passed the head around, leading to “irreparable erosion of its features”.[24] Russell possibly had some connections with Sidney Sussex College, as he offered the head to the Master of the college. However, the Master was not interested, and Cox connived to get the head using a different approach. He offered Russell small sums of money, gradually reaching the total of just over Ł100, and Russell could not pay when the loan was recalled. Thus his only option was to give up the head

quote:

Cox sold the head in 1799 for Ł230 (about Ł7,400 in today's money)[18] to three brothers named Hughes. Interested in starting their own display in Bond Street, the brothers acquired the head as part of other Cromwell-related items
Despite the failure of the Hughes brothers' exhibition, a Hughes daughter continued showing the head to anyone who wanted to see it

quote:

Failure to sell to public museums forced the daughter to sell it privately, and in 1815 it was sold to Josiah Henry Wilkinson, in whose family it would remain until its burial. Maria Edgeworth, attending breakfast with Wilkinson in 1822, was shown the head, and she wrote with great surprise that she had seen “Oliver Cromwell's head—not his picture—not his bust—nothing of stone or marble or plaister [sic] of Paris, but his real head”.[30]

quote:

Horace Wilkinson died in 1957, bequeathing the head to his son, also called Horace. However, Horace Wilkinson wished to organise a proper burial for the head rather than a public display, so he contacted Sidney Sussex College, which welcomed the burial. There it was interred on 25 March 1960, in a secret location near the antechapel, preserved in the oak box in which the Wilkinson family had kept the head since 1815. The box was placed into an airtight container and buried with only a few witnesses, including family and representatives of the college. The secret burial was not announced until October 1962.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
So Wu Zetian was a pretty interesting historical figure, but man was she brutal.

quote:

Wu Zetian eliminated many of her real, or potential, or perceived rivals to power by means of death (including execution, suicide by command, and more-or-less directly killing people), demotion, and exile. And, in some cases her methods were even more extreme, such as in case of the "human pig" (referring to Wu's method of making an example out of a rival by blinding her, cutting out her tongue, amputating her arms and legs, and keeping her alive by feeding her slops and letting her wallow in her own excrement, like a pig). Wu targeted various individuals, including many in her own family and her extended family. In reaction to an attempt to remove her from power, in 684, she massacred 12 entire collateral branches of the imperial family.

She was responsible for significant changes to Chinese society so that Wiki article is really extensive.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Cordyceps Headache posted:

If I remember though, at least some of the terrible things popularly attributed to her reoccur often as attacks against powerful women in Chinese history. It's most likely that she was vilified after her death, the way most previous monarchs from a different dynasty are (especially female ones).

That's an interesting point actually. It's been taken further in other parts of the world. After her death, people tried to remove all records of Hatshepsut's existence. Her name and pictures of her were chiselled off stone walls leading to archaeologists finding "very obvious Hatshepsut-shaped gaps in the artwork"

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Sargs posted:

There was some of the same "soldiers a bit too close to nuclear tests" malarkey that everyone pulled back then as soon as they got the bomb, only with added loving over the Aborigines, and those lovely chaps at Porton Down tested any amount of hilarious chemical weapons on Squaddie volunteers, sometimes telling them it was all about "research into the common cold".

Oh, this happened in the state I grew up in (probably explains a lot). The whole thing was hosed, especially how they didn't bother to tell the Indigenous population that they were dropping atomic bombs. During Operation Brumby, the British investigation, they flew over the area in helicopters and saw the skeletons of a group of Indigenous Australians. Apparently their deaths had not been recorded, but they were probably killed when the wind changed direction during a nuclear test.

Also, the waste wasn't really buried properly, it was just dumped in shallow holes in the ground.

Wikipedia posted:

Parkinson, a nuclear engineer, explains that the clean-up of Maralinga in the late 1990s was compromised by cost-cutting and simply involved dumping hazardous radioactive debris in shallow holes in the ground. Parkinson states that "What was done at Maralinga was a cheap and nasty solution that wouldn't be adopted on white-fellas land."

Of course, the problem how to warn people of dangerous nuclear radiation is a pretty interesting field, known as nuclear semiotics.

quote:

When atomic or fusion bombs are detonated in a war, or nuclear power plants are used in times of peace, an unnaturally high amount of radioactive waste is produced. This material will threaten human life and health for thousands of years. Consequently, nuclear technology necessitates the creation of a secure means of terminal storage for such materials for an unusually long time period.

quote:

Three parts of any communication about nuclear waste must be conveyed to posterity:
1. that it is a message at all
2. that dangerous material is stored in a given location
3. information about the type of dangerous substances

There are some really surreal ideas in that article but my favourite would have to be:

quote:

French authors Francois Bastide and Paolo Fabbri proposed the breeding of so called "radiation cats" or "ray cats".[5] Cats have a long history of cohabitation with humans, and this approach assumes that their domestication will continue indefinitely. These radiation cats would change significantly in color when they came near radioactive emissions and serve as living indicators of danger. In order to transport the message, the importance of the cats would need to be set in the collective awareness through fairy tales and myths. Those fairy tales and myths in turn could be transmitted through poetry, music and painting.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

into the void posted:

This is probably a stupid question but can anyone explain why it doesn't seem to go the other way? Why don't these researchers or explorers walk away with some horrible disease the tribe is used to. Or do they?

The most deadly diseases are often zoonosis, which are diseases which spread from animals to humans. Europeans and Asians domesticated more animals and therefore had more Zoonotic diseases.

quote:

Partial list of zoonoses
Anthrax
Babesiosis
Balantidiasis
Barmah Forest virus
Bartonellosis
Bilharzia
Bolivian hemorrhagic fever
Brucellosis
Borrelia (Lyme disease and others)
Borna virus infection
Bovine tuberculosis
Campylobacteriosis
Cat Scratch Disease
Chagas disease
Chlamydophila psittaci
Cholera
Cowpox
Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD),
a transmissible spongiform encephalopathy (TSE)
from bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) or "mad cow disease"
Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever
Cryptosporidiosis
Cutaneous larva migrans
Dengue fever
Ebola
Echinococcosis
Escherichia coli O157:H7
Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae
Eastern equine encephalitis virus
Western equine encephalitis virus
Venezuelan equine encephalitis virus
Giardia lamblia
H1N1 flu
Hantavirus
Helminths
Hendra virus
Henipavirus
Human Immunodeficiency Virus
Korean hemorrhagic fever
Kyasanur forest disease
Lábrea fever
Lassa fever
Leishmaniasis
Leptospirosis
Listeriosis
Lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus
Marburg fever
Mediterranean spotted fever
Mycobacterium marinum
Monkey B
Nipah fever
Ocular larva migrans
Omsk hemorrhagic fever
Ornithosis (psittacosis)
Orf (animal disease)
Oropouche fever
Pappataci fever
Pasteurellosis
Plague
Puumala virus
Q-Fever
Psittacosis, or "parrot fever"
Rabies
Rift Valley fever
Ringworms (Tinea canis)
Salmonellosis
Sodoku
Sparganosis
Streptococcus suis
Toxocariasis
Toxoplasmosis
Trichinosis
Tularemia, or "rabbit fever"
Typhus of Rickettsiae
Venezuelan hemorrhagic fever
Visceral larva migrans
West Nile virus
Yellow fever
Yersiniosis

Please not that there is one massive exception to this rule, which happened to kill 5 times the combined death toll of both world wars in the 20th century: smallpox. That said:

quote:

Many modern diseases, even epidemic diseases, started out as zoonotic diseases. It is hard to be certain which diseases jumped from other animals to humans, but there is good evidence that measles, smallpox, influenza, HIV, and diphtheria came to us this way. The common cold, and tuberculosis may also have started in other species.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Saturday_bushfires
This heatwave and 400 or so fires associated with it always unnerved me, especially since most of the fatalities happened on the same day.

quote:

The Black Saturday bushfires[7] were a series of bushfires that ignited or were burning across the Australian state of Victoria on and around Saturday, 7 February 2009. The fires occurred during extreme bushfire-weather conditions and resulted in Australia's highest ever loss of life from a bushfire;[8] 173 people died[5][9] and 414 were injured as a result of the fires.
As many as 400 individual fires were recorded on 7 February. Following the events of 7 February 2009 and its aftermath, that day has become widely referred to as Black Saturday.

quote:

Wednesday, 28 January 2009
Delburn fire commenced in Central Gippsland; arson suspected.[21]

Wednesday, 4 February
Bunyip State Park fire commenced.[22]

Saturday, 7 February (Black Saturday)
Mid-morning – Bunyip State Park fire jumped containment lines; no other major fire activity.
Late morning – many fires sprang up as temperatures rose and wind speeds increased.
11:20 am – power lines fell in high winds igniting the Kilmore East fire (Kinglake/Whittlesea area). The fire was fanned by 125 km/h (78 mph) winds, entered a pine plantation, grew in intensity, and rapidly headed southeast through the Wandong area.[23]
12:30 pm – Horsham fire commenced.[24]
Early afternoon – ABC Radio received calls from residents of affected areas supplying immediate up-to-date information on fire activity.
2:55 pm – Murrindindi Mill fire (Marysville area) first spotted from Mt Despair fire tower.[25][26]
3:04 pm – temperature in Melbourne peaked at 46.4 °C (115.5 °F).
4:20 pm – Kilmore East fire front arrived at Strathewen.[27]
4:20 pm – fire impacted Narbethong.
Mid-afternoon – smoke from Kilmore East firestorm prevented planes from mapping the fire edge.
4:30 pm – number of individual fires across the state increased into the hundreds.
4:30 pm – fire commenced at Eaglehawk, near Bendigo.[27]
4:45 pm – Kilmore East fire front arrived at Kinglake.
Here's the reason why there were so many fatalites: a wind change that brought with it 120 km/h (75 mph) gusts.

quote:

5:00 pm – wind direction changed from northwesterly to southwesterly in Melbourne (see Fawkner Beacon Wind chart for 7 February 2009).
5:10 pm – air temperature in Melbourne dropped from over 45 °C (113 °F) to around 30 °C (86 °F) in fifteen minutes.
5:30 pm – wind change arrived at Kilmore East and Murrindindi Mill (Kinglake/Marysville) fire fronts.
5:45 pm – Kilmore East fire front arrived in Flowerdale.
6:00 pm – Beechworth fire commenced.[28]
6:00 pm – Kilmore East fire smoke plume and pyrocumulus cloud reached 15 km (9.3 mi) high.
6:45 pm – Murrindindi Mill fire front arrived at Marysville.[29][30]
8:30 pm – Victorian Health Emergency Co-ordination Centre notified Melbourne hospitals to prepare for burn victims.
8:57 pm – CFA chief officer first notified that casualties had been confirmed.
10:00 pm – Victoria Police announced an initial estimate of 14 fatalities.
The fires weren't extinguished for another two months

quote:

Wednesday, 4 March
Cooler conditions and rain from 4–6 March enabled firefighters to control and contain several fires, with the Kilmore East – Murrindindi complex south fire being completely contained. Predictions for favourable weather signalled the easing of the threat to settlements from the major fires that had been burning since 7 February.

Mid-March
Favourable conditions aided containment efforts and extinguished many of the fires.

This is the worst part I think. The fire front was pretty fast (possibly too fast to evacuate from) and I guess 113 people thought their safest bet was to seek refuge in their houses.

quote:

Location of deaths:
Inside houses (113)
Outside houses (27)
In vehicles (11)
In garages (6)
Near vehicles (5)
On roadways (5)
Attributed to or associated with the fire but not within fire location (4)
On reserves (1)
In sheds (1)
:smith:

And here's a plume of smoke blowing all the way to New Zealand:

Edit: grammar police.

Vladimir Poutine has a new favorite as of 15:17 on Jun 23, 2013

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Shnicker posted:

I was in the Melbourne CBD all day that day and it was one of the most bizarre days I've ever experienced. By 9am the temperature was already up to 35 celsius and when it got up to 47 at 4pm or so, it felt like being continuously bathed in bus exhaust. By 10pm the temperature dropped to 23.

The creepiest thing that day was that the sky was the oddest color I'd ever seen. It wasn't just gray, but almost silvery. It's pretty awful to think about what kinds of particles were in the muddy rain that fell that evening.
Well you weren't far from the action really:

I was in Adelaide during that heatwave and there was a bit of a weird vibe because there were leaves all over the road and paths like it was autumn/fall. Except it was the middle of summer, and there were leaves everywhere because the hot weather had killed every goddamn tree in my neighbourhood.
Also, I think this is the most :stare: picture of them all:

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

boonsha posted:

Hope I'm not too late to reminisce about Black Saturday. I started work at 8pm that night and when my shift finished at 2am I noticed a guy was still parked in his car. He was dead and had been baking there in the 46 degree heat all day. I figure it's appropriate for the thread because it was definitely pretty unnerving. Sorry, I'll end the derail now.

Well you can't just drop that in a thread like it ain't no thing.

I did kind of wonder when I brought Black Saturday up in this thread if is in fact "too soon".

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Good News Everyone posted:

This thread is deviating from scary and unnerving to straight-up gross.

Here; did you know that there are Bigfoot (bigfeet?) in Australia? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yowie

There are a few interesting examples of supposed "cryptids" in Australia. This is semi-recycled from a post I made in this thread about 6 months ago, but that's ages ago anyway.

Bunyips

quote:

The bunyip, or kianpraty,[1] is a large mythical creature from Aboriginal mythology, said to lurk in swamps, billabongs, creeks, riverbeds, and waterholes. The origin of the word bunyip has been traced to the Wemba-Wemba or Wergaia language of Aboriginal people of South-Eastern Australia.[2][3][4] However, the bunyip appears to have formed part of traditional Aboriginal beliefs and stories throughout Australia, although its name varied according to tribal nomenclature.

quote:

Descriptions of bunyips vary widely. George French Angus may have collected a description of a bunyip in his account of a "water spirit" from the Moorundi people of the Murray River before 1847, stating it is "much dreaded by them… It inhabits the Murray; but…they have some difficulty describing it. Its most usual form…is said to be that of an enormous starfish."[10] Robert Brough Smyth's Aborigines of Victoria of 1878 devoted ten pages to the bunyip, but concluded "in truth little is known among the blacks respecting its form, covering or habits; they appear to have been in such dread of it as to have been unable to take note of its characteristics."[11] However, common features in many 19th-century newspaper accounts include a dog-like face, dark fur, a horse-like tail, flippers, and walrus-like tusks or horns or a duck-like bill.[12]
The Challicum bunyip, an outline image of a bunyip carved by Aborigines into the bank of Fiery Creek, near Ararat, Victoria, was first recorded by The Australasian newspaper in 1851. According to the report, the bunyip had been speared after killing an Aboriginal man. Antiquarian Reynell Johns claimed that until the mid-1850s, Aboriginal people made a "habit of visiting the place annually and retracing the outlines of the figure [of the bunyip] which is about 11 paces long and 4 paces in extreme breadth."[13]

Yara-ma-yha-who

quote:

The Yara-ma-yha-who is a creature from Australian Aboriginal folklore. This creature resembles a little red man with a very big head and large mouth with no teeth. On the ends of its hands and feet are suckers. It lives in fig trees and does not hunt for food, but waits until an unsuspecting traveler rests under the tree. It then drops onto the victim and drains their blood using the suckers on its hands and feet, making them weak. It then consumes the person, drinks some water, and then takes a nap. When the Yara-ma-yha-who awakens, it regurgitates the victim, leaving it shorter than before. The victim's skin also has a reddish tint to it that it didn't have before.[1][2] It repeats this process several times. At length, the victim is transformed into a Yara-ma-yha-who themself. According to legend, the Yara-ma-yha-who will only prey upon a living person, so (hypothetically speaking) you could survive an encounter with this monster by "playing-dead" until sunset; the creature only hunts during the day.

IntelligentCalcium posted:

I don't think this particular brand of natural disaster has been posted here, but this always sort of weirded me out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permian%E2%80%93Triassic_extinction_event

A single (or close series of) event that resulted in the loss of 53% of families, 83% of genera, and upwards of 96% of species completely wiped out. Not even insects got out of this one intact. There are so many different theories of what caused it as well.

Giant slabs of rock from outer space slamming into the planet don't scare me; the planet itself just opening the gently caress up and disrupting our current chemical environment with one not quite so friendly to life is kind of terrifying.

This (much less severe) extinction event has always intrigued me too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternary_extinction_event
Everwhere humans went, large animals disappeared.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Haha. I just knew that video was coming!

It's legitimately creepy.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Commissar posted:

From last page, but Australian fairy tales tend to be based around a central practical core. Every Australian (at least everyone where I grew up) knows the story of dropbears, it's something you tell tourists to scare the poo poo out of them when they're camping in the bush. Essentially, the dropbears live in the bigger and older trees, and when you're sleeping they fall on you and kill you. Not only does this scare tourists, but it means that people who don't know much about the bush don't sleep under trees which might have branches which can break off in the night and kill you.

When I was a kid I always found it a little odd that a particular species of tree (I think redgums) were casually referred to as "widow makers" in rural Australia.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

The US boarding schools for Native children were also terrible; this documentary is :smith: as hell. Australia has a lovely record of abusing indigenous children by forced relocation, too.

Yeah, it was pretty extensive in Australia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_Generations

quote:

The Stolen Generations (also known as Stolen children) were the children of Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent who were removed from their families by the Australian Federal and State government agencies and church missions, under acts of their respective parliaments. The removals occurred in the period between approximately 1909[1] and 1969,[2][3] although in some places children were still being taken until the 1970s.[4][5][6]

quote:

By around the age of 18 the children were released from government control and where it was available were sometimes allowed to view their government file. According to the testimony of one Aboriginal person:

I was requested to attend at the Sunshine Welfare Offices, where they formerly (sic) discharged me from State wardship. It took the Senior Welfare Officer a mere 20 minutes to come clean, and tell me everything that my heart had always wanted to know...that I was of 'Aboriginal descent', that I had a Natural mother, father, three brothers and a sister, who were alive...He placed in front of me 368 pages of my file, together with letters, photos and birthday cards. He informed me that my surname would change back to my Mother's maiden name of Angus.[46]

The Bringing Them Home report condemned the policy of disconnecting children from their "cultural heritage". Said one witness to the commission:

I've got everything that could be reasonably expected: a good home environment, education, stuff like that, but that's all material stuff. It's all the non-material stuff that I didn't have — the lineage… You know, you've just come out of nowhere; there you are.[37]

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

freebooter posted:

This may have been posted, but I've always found this really disturbing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Arthur_massacre_%28Australia%29

Yeah, that was a pretty big deal in Australia in the 90s, along with the Snowtown Murders (:nms: for descriptions of torture). The investigation began after 8 bodies were found dissolved in acid in barrels in a disused bank vault. In short, 12 torture-murders were carried out by 7 people, 3 of which end up getting murdered themselves. It always creeped me out growing up, partly because it happened in the city I live in.

The article is quite interesting because it talks about all of the victims and perpetrators and how they knew each other and what their motivations were.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Bryant was a weird dude; apparently he would go on long flights from Australia to Europe just so he'd have someone next to him cornered and stuck talking to him for ~24 hours.

quote:

With Harvey and his father dead Bryant became increasingly lonely. From 1993 to late 1995, he visited various overseas countries 14 times and a summary of his domestic airline travel filled three pages. He hated the destinations he travelled to, as he found that people there avoided him just as they did in Tasmania. However he enjoyed the flights, as he could speak to the people sitting adjacent to him who had no choice but to be polite. Bryant later took great joy in describing some of the more successful conversations he had with fellow passengers. In late 1995, he became suicidal after deciding he had "had enough": "I just felt more people were against me. When I tried to be friendly toward them, they just walked away". Although he had previously been little more than a social drinker, his alcohol consumption increased and, although he had not had a drink on that day, had especially escalated in the six months prior to the massacre. Bryant's average daily consumption was estimated at half a bottle of Sambuca and a bottle of Baileys Irish Cream supplemented with Port wine and other sweet alcoholic drinks.[5] According to Bryant, he thought the plan for Port Arthur may have first occurred to him four to twelve weeks before the event

quote:

Bryant sold the Copping farm for $143,000 and kept the Hobart mansion.[5] While living at Copping, the white overalls he habitually wore were replaced with clothing more in line with Harvey's financial status. Now that he was alone his dress became more bizarre. He often wore a grey linen suit, cravat, lizard skin shoes and Panama hat while carrying a briefcase during the day, telling anyone who listened that he had a well-paying career. He often wore an electric blue suit with flared trousers and a ruffled shirt to the restaurant he frequented. The restaurant owner recalled: "It was horrible. Everyone was laughing at him, even the customers. I really felt suddenly quite sorry for him. I realised this guy didn't really have any friends."

Wow, I can't even imagine what it would be like to witness something like that in childhood.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Apologies, this could possibly be classified as a "gross or annoying disease".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dermatographic_urticaria

quote:

Dermatographic urticaria(also known as dermographism, dermatographism or "skin writing") is a skin disorder seen in 4–5% of the population and is one of the most common types of urticaria,[1] in which the skin becomes raised and inflamed when stroked, scratched, rubbed, and sometimes even slapped.[2] It is most common in teenagers and young adults, ages 15-30.

Also, this made me chuckle a little:

quote:

"Wikipedia" scratched into the skin of someone with dermographism.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cowra_breakout

quote:

In the first week of August 1944, a tip-off from an informer at Cowra led authorities to plan a move of all Japanese POWs at Cowra, except officers and NCOs, to another camp at Hay, New South Wales, some 400 km to the west. The Japanese were notified of the move on 4 August.

In the words of historian Gavin Long, the following night:

At about 2 a.m. a Japanese ran to the camp gates and shouted what seemed to be a warning to the sentries. Then a Japanese bugle sounded. A sentry fired a warning shot. More sentries fired as three mobs of prisoners, shouting "Banzai", began breaking through the wire, one mob on the northern side, one on the western and one on the southern. They flung themselves across the wire with the help of blankets. They were armed with knives, baseball bats, clubs studded with nails and hooks, wire stilettos and garotting cords.[2]

The bugler, Hajime Toyoshima, had been Australia’s first Japanese prisoner of the war.[3] Soon afterwards, most of the buildings in the Japanese compound were set on fire.

Within minutes of the start of the breakout attempt Privates Benjamin Gower Hardy and Ralph Jones (GC) manned the No. 2 Vickers machine-gun and were firing into the first wave of escapees, but they were soon overwhelmed by the sheer weight of numbers and killed. However, Private Jones managed to remove and hide the gun's bolt before he died. This rendered the gun useless, thereby preventing the prisoners from turning it against the guards.

The actions of the Japanese POWs in storming machine gun posts, armed only with improvised weapons, showed what Australian Prime Minister John Curtin later described as a "suicidal disregard of life". Nevertheless, 359 POWs escaped. Some prisoners, rather than escaping, attempted or committed suicide, or were killed by their countrymen. Some of those who did escape committed suicide, or were killed, to avoid recapture. All those still alive were recaptured within 10 days of the breakout.[4]

During the escape and subsequent round-up of POWs, four Australian soldiers and 231 Japanese soldiers died and 108 prisoners were wounded. The leaders of the breakout commanded their escapees not to attack Australian civilians, and none were killed or injured.

hambeet posted:

It made me wonder if there was a 'list of stalkers'. There wasn't.

I typed it in to see if it was there too. So close, but so disappointingly far.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raining_animals

quote:

Raining animals is a rare meteorological phenomenon in which flightless animals "rain" from the sky. Such occurrences have been reported in many countries throughout history. One hypothesis offered to explain this phenomenon is that strong winds traveling over water sometimes pick up creatures such as fish or frogs, and carry them for up to several miles.[1] However, this primary aspect of the phenomenon has never been witnessed or scientifically tested. Sometimes the animals survive the fall, suggesting the animals are dropped shortly after extraction. Several witnesses of raining frogs describe the animals as startled, though healthy, and exhibiting relatively normal behavior shortly after the event. In some incidents, however, the animals are frozen to death or even completely encased in ice. There are examples where the product of the rain is not intact animals, but shredded body parts. Some cases occur just after storms having strong winds, especially during tornadoes.

quote:

The following list is a selection of examples.

Fish
Singapore, February 22, 1861[15]
Olneyville, Rhode Island, May 15, 1900[16]
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, July 1, 1903[17]
Marksville, Louisiana, October 23, 1947[18]
Kerala, India, February 12, 2008[19]
Bhanwad, Jamnagar, India, Oct 24, 2009[20]
IIT MADRAS, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, Sep 12, 2013[21]
Lajamanu, Northern Territory, Australia, February 25 and 26, 2010,[22]
Loreto, Agusan del Sur, Philippines, January 13, 2012[23][24]

Frogs and toads
Ishikawa Prefecture, Japan, June 2009 (occurrences reported throughout the month)[25]
Rákóczifalva, Hungary, 18–20 June 2010 (twice)[26]

Others
An unidentified animal (thought to be a cow) fell in California ripped to tiny pieces on August 1, 1869; a similar incident was reported in Olympian Springs, Bath County, Kentucky in 1876[27]:stare:
Jellyfish fell from the sky in Bath, England, in 1894[28]
Spiders fell from the sky in Salta Province, Argentina on April 6, 2007.[29]
Worms dropped from the sky in Jennings, Louisiana, on July 11, 2007.[30]
According to a video, Spiders fell from the sky in Santo Antônio da Platina, Brazil, on February 3, 2013.[31] (However, it has been suggested as falling from a mass web between elevated poles.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_jelly

quote:

“Star jelly” (also called astromyxin, astral jelly, pwdr sęr, star rot, or star shot) is a gelatinous substance sometimes found on grass or even on branches of trees.[1] According to folklore, it is deposited on the earth during meteor showers. Star jelly is described as a translucent or grayish-white gelatin that tends to evaporate shortly after having “fallen.” Explanations have ranged from the material's being the remains of frogs, toads, or worms, to the byproducts of cyanobacteria, to the paranormal.[2][3][4][5] Reports of the substance date back to the 14th century and have continued to the present day.[5][6]

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

ultrabindu posted:

Is this thing still erupting?

Nah, it had died down not long after. The adjacent beach on Tongatapu was covered in hundreds of thousands of tiny black stones from the volcano. Here's one I kept:

It weighs about a quarter as much as you'd expect.

2009 was an odd year for Tonga. There was this volcano, a tsunami (which also decimated Samoa and American Samoa) and the sinking of the MV Princess Ashika.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Princess_Ashika

quote:

The MV Princess Ashika was an inter-island ferry which operated in the South Pacific kingdom of Tonga. This motorized vessel (MV) was built in 1972, and began sailing the Tongan route on 7 July 2009 only to sink less than a month later on 5 August. Official figures released by Operation Ashika on August 19, 2009, confirmed that 54 men were rescued, and 74 persons were lost at sea. These include two bodies recovered and 72 missing (68 passengers and 4 crew), including five foreign nationals. Two of the missing passengers remain unidentified.[4]

quote:

The distress beacon was sent five minutes after the mayday call.[2] One survivor described a "big wave" and "much water", claiming that it had happened very quickly.[9]]
It produced some eerie and incredibly clear underwater wreck footage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9RS0A_S_Rc

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Phy posted:

Oh awesome the brain-controlling fungus creates a mood-altering chemical I sure want that in my body

Eh, drug interactions in insects aren't necessarily that similar to those found in mammals such as humans. For example, caffeine acts as a pesticide that paralyzes and kills many insects, which is probably why plants produce it, but caffeine is one of (if not the) most commonly consumed psychoactive drugs on the planet. Hell, I'm barely human unless I've practically drunk my own body-weight in black magic before 10am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Turns out if you remove someone's hippocampus as an experimental treatment for epilepsy they'll lose the ability to form new memories.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Molaison

quote:

After the surgery—which was successful in its primary goal of controlling his epilepsy—he suffered from severe anterograde amnesia: although his working memory and procedural memory were intact, he could not commit new events to his explicit memory. According to some scientists, Molaison was impaired in his ability to form new semantic knowledge,[7] but researchers argue over the extent of this impairment. He also suffered moderate retrograde amnesia, and could not remember most events in the 1–2-year period before surgery, nor some events up to 11 years before, meaning that his amnesia was temporally graded. However, his ability to form long-term procedural memories was intact; thus he could, for example, learn new motor skills, despite not being able to remember learning them.

• Locked thread