Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

DNova posted:

People used to use mercury as an orally administered laxative. There is not much evidence of symptoms of mercury toxicity as a result.

Antimony was also used in laxative pills. Re-usable laxative pills :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

No discussion of Paris corpses is complete without the infamous Sergent Bertrand, about whom there is oddly no English Wikipedia page, but have this fine link in its stead.

This is also informative; for even more detail, Krafft-Ebing comes through as usual.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 14:38 on Jan 8, 2013

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

RCarr posted:

Pretty much. I think the whole hoax about never finding a survivor of the colony was made up by a news anchor on one of the local English TV stations.

Nah, it's an old thing, popular as a scary story in US newspapers as early as the 19th century. The play about it has been put on on Roanoke since before World War II. lovely play, too, even worse than the Hatfields and McCoys play they put on in West Virginia.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Wildeyes posted:

I'm amazed I'd never even heard of this (or I did, and I just didn't realize it happened in my state. "New London" doesn't exactly scream Texas). I can only imagine how much attention something like this would receive if it happened today, given how much Newtown was covered.

Constant radio, newspaper, and magazine coverage. Kathy Fiscus's death is a good example of how blanket coverage of certain tragedies and crises used to work. Also :smith: as gently caress.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

MrMidnight posted:

This poo poo is way more common than I was expecting.

Brazil and USA leading the pack in 11 and 10 year old moms.

Huge populations in both countries, though. Colombia seems to be doing worst per capita (having two eight-year-old girls give birth in successive months in 2011, Jesus wept).

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Religious Man posted:

One bit of history that has creeped me out since elementary school is the Lost Colony. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Colony

Basically, Sir Walter Raleigh tries to found a colony (where the first white child born in North America is born), but fails after a few attempts. The colony is eventually found completely abandoned with no signs of struggle and no real signs of relocation except for the word "Croatoan" carved into a post and the letters "CRO" carved into a tree.

No real signs of relocation except for the name they called the Native settlement on the next island over. :iiam: except not.

You know the guy carving the second "Croatoan" was all "No, no, it's better if we make two signs in case Sir Walter comes back and---okay, okay, I'll get in the loving boat, Jesus Christ, some people."

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 02:31 on Feb 20, 2013

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

TunaSpleen posted:

Speaking of microbiology, let's learn about Toxoplasma gondii! It's a behavior-altering protist that mostly goes between cats and rodents but sometimes gets caught up in humans as well. It's been linked to all sorts of mental disorders that lend credence to the "crazy cat lady" stereotype and can kill your baby if you clean the catbox while pregnant. An estimated ONE THIRD of all humans on earth harbor this parasite (usually in an inactive form in healthy adults), with higher prevalence in poor countries due to contaminated soil and water, or undercooked red meat. According to the Center for Disease Control, you can find it in 22.5% of the US population. That's over one in five.

There are more than five people posting in this thread.

Which one of you is it?

It's not me, because I was tested for it. Which surprised me, because I grew up in the country with outdoor cats and all (toddlers not being the best judges of when not to pick up poop and when to wash hands before eating).

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Ota Benga reminded me of Minik Wallace. Keeping people in museums is horrific.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

Also more frightening is that she has doctors who are apparently encouraging this or at least not trying to stop her. Just doing surgery to fix the damage and feeding her some bullshit about her lymph system being clogged from the alleged cancer.

Her real doctors in the US are doing as much palliative surgery as she'll allow---her cancer has metastasized, so they can't cure her even if she were compliant with treatment. The people going on about the lymph stuff are quacks who may not actually be doctors.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

bamhand posted:

I've always wondered what purpose a false scrotum would serve.

Is it an evolutionary adaptation or just a side-effect of unusual (for mammals) hormone balances?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Occam's Razor certainly suggests Lizzie Borden killed her father and stepmother, as nobody else had anything to gain by their deaths and it would be odd for a random stranger-murderer to kill only the Bordens and not their maid, and then never to kill again.

But the actual evidence against her was scanty, and she had good lawyers, so. If she did it, she wouldn't have gotten away with it today, because her argument that blood spatter on her nightdress was menstrual blood could be easily disproven.

Now I want there to be a CSI: 1892 show, with dudes looking at a magnifying glass and shouting "Enhance! Enhance!"

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Pick posted:

How do you know [the murder of the Bordens] was random? How do you know this person never killed again?

Nothing was stolen, including money that was visible on a table in the room where Mr. Borden was killed. So the chances that it was a burglary gone wrong are minuscule.

No unsolved murders with a similar MO happened anywhere in the US for decades afterward (I think the 1930s in Minnesota or Wisconsin). And the murderer went upstairs to kill Mrs. Borden, but not to the kitchen to kill the maid. So "passing spree killer" seems vanishingly unlikely.

Lizzie's extremely good lawyers couldn't make a case that anyone else would have motive or opportunity to kill either of the elder Bordens.

So I don't know what happened, but the most parsimonious explanation given the facts is that Lizzie killed them.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

fonzie scheme posted:

I think dirty needles from the trials had a whole lot to do with it too, though.

What happened to your trust in science? Because you seem to believe a lot of unscientific nonsense.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

The LA Police tried to frame a guilty man. And failed.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Khisareth posted:

Yes, but with what evidence? "I kinda remember this from when I was 7 but I don't know if it was true because my family is loopy" I have seriously no evidence other than what my mother told me

You could send an email to the FBI Chicago field office saying what you've said here and giving as much info on your grandfather as you know. They'd decide whether to follow it up or not; worst case scenario, a low-level agent would waste an hour or two looking into something that didn't pan out.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

The US boarding schools for Native children were also terrible; this documentary is :smith: as hell. Australia has a lovely record of abusing indigenous children by forced relocation, too.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Zombie Raptor posted:

I know it's not really on par with the other stories of mistreatment of natives, but my great grandfather was a Catawba shaman on a reservation, and upon leaving the reservation, they made sure to anglicize his name from John Greenarrow to James Orr. Not really sure why they chose that name, honestly, especially since it's not even the same first name. Anyway, I mention it because he had a really hard time coping with life after they changed his name entirely.

That is terrible. And yet, because I am 99% composed of gallows humor, it also reminded me of the scene in the novel An Beal Bocht (The Poor Mouth) by Myles na gCopaleen/Flann O' Brien/Brian O'Nolan where the schoolmaster changes the Irish names of all his students to "Jams O'Donnell".

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Mousepractice posted:

Whattup :hfive:

On that note The Third Policeman is pretty unnerving. Mostly amusing, but pretty unnerving. "all the queer ghastly things which have been happening [...] are happening in a sort of hell [...] It is made clear that this sort of thing goes on for ever".

Spoilers in the link above

THE PLAIN PEOPLE OF IRELAND: Sure and it is at that.

The most unnerving literature to me is books like The Diving Bell and the Butterfly and Tony Judt's The Memory Chalet, because being immobile while your mind still functions perfectly is my worst nightmare.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

StrangersInTheNight posted:

It couldn't possibly be that efforts to integrate the Romani are patronizing and strive to erase their cultural heritage, which makes them hesitant to try an join, and leaves them a marginalized culture that has the same survival behaviors as any poor, lower class peoples. You can't call efforts to basically fold them into your culture and erase theirs sincere integration efforts, and it's no wonder they resist. If their culture is being treated as something that needs to be taught 'out' of them, then of course you're having trouble; that's a basic lack of respect that's going to turn anyone away. And it is their fear, as well; that by assimilating they will lose themselves.

It's like there wasn't even a bunch of posts earlier in the thread about the horrors of residential schools/"Indian schools"/the Stolen Generations/English-only schools in Wales and Ireland/somehow we missed the English-only schools for Maori, but them too.

"Oh, but the Rromani really are different, you don't understand!" is an unbelievably threadbare argument. Every single argument people in Europe make about the Rromani has been made/is made about ethnic/cultural/racial minority groups in the US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand---arguments the same Europeans will rightly call ridiculously racist when applied to indigenous Australians or First Nations Canadians or Latino immigrants in the US.

AlbieQuirky has a new favorite as of 16:30 on Aug 7, 2013

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

V. S. Ramachandran discussed Capgras delusion in his books and TV series. The TV series includes an interview with one person who developed Capgras delusion after a car accident, and with his imposters parents.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

A Pinball Wizard posted:

It doesn't justify dumping her off on somebody, but what the hell *do* you do? The whole situation is just :smith:

There are formal programs for disrupting adoptions, though. "Go on Internet and foist them on strangers" is a poo poo way to approach the issue.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

Not sure where else to post this, but I saw another Toynbee tile in the wilds of Baltimore today. This one is right by my work and I'm certain it's really recent:

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get run over trying to photograph these things one day.

Oh, yikes, that's unpleasant.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Plus IIRC the 'original' Toynbee Tile layer is dead now.

Nah, he's still alive. Someone else with his unusual name died, so people assumed it was him.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

There's even an opera about Crowshurst. It's pretty intense.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Vindolanda posted:

Showing Threads to children is proof that we have a better sense of humour than Americans.

We had to watch The Day After, but at least there was the satisfaction of Steve Guttenberg dying in that.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

ARE THOSE MY SPERMS posted:

Yeah but then your kid looks like a fuckin nerd wearing a stupid helmet

It's a baby. It's not like the other babies are going to mock him.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Howard Dully's memoir is excellent. Depressing at the beginning, but it gets more :unsmith:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

chthonic bell posted:

Here's a more cheerful example of weird memory poo poo: This guy! He reportedly had synesthesia encompassing all five senses and that helped him remember things perfectly. A.R. Luria, that Dr Oliver Sacks mentions a lot in his essays, wrote a whole book on him.

The impression I got from the Luria book was that Sherevskii's life was kind of hosed up by his prodigious memory and synesthesia, though. :smith:

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

LivesInGrey posted:

This memory talk might be why I checked out I Forgot to Remember at the library. It's about a woman named Su Meck who had a ceiling fan fall on her head in 1988 and ended up with complete retrograde amnesia of the first 22 years of her life and a degree of anteretrograde as well. Remarkably, her MRIs near the time of the accident don't show much brain trauma at all. She says that more modern ones might notice more, but she hasn't undergone tests recently. Her husband and family have told her most of her pre-injury life, yet she feels like those happened to a different person. It's a really new ook, and I'm not that far into it, but it might also be interesting to others here.

It's a scary and unnerving book for lots of reasons that have nothing to do with her brain injury. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Rabbit Hill posted:

Is that the same blizzard that Laura Ingalls Wilder wrote about in The Long Winter?

The Long Winter is set about ten years earlier. Edit: 1880-1881.

• Locked thread