Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
Just to add to the chat about studying genocide, one of my most :wtc: experiences as an undergrad was a lecture about the Rwandan genocide where the lecturer basically just described what people had done to them in excruciating detail in a weary detached monotone for the better part of an hour. The Indonesian mass killings of communists were also something else, if you have JSTOR access take a look at this cheery translated article called "Am I PKI or non-PKI?". For context, the PKI was the Indonesian Communist Party, and in 1965 after an apparent botched coup and a series of events no one's quite sure about, Communists started being slaughtered across the country with the tacit or explicit backing of the military and, in some places, Islamic clerics. (The US was also probably involved in a tangential way.) Here are two choice excerpts (spoilered for :nms:):

quote:

It was pretty effective too. Each day, as Kartawidjaja's Son No. 2 went to, or returned from, State Senior High School No. 1, he always saw corpses of Communists floating in the River Brantas. The thing was that the school was located to the "kulon" (west) of the river. And usually the corpses were no longer recognizable as human. Headless. Stomachs torn open. The smell was unbelievable. To make sure they didn't stink, the carcasses were deliberately tied to, or impaled on, bamboo stakes. And the departure of corpses from the Kediri region down the Brantas achieved its golden age when bodies were stacked together on rafts over which the PKI banner proudly flew.

About 1 kilometer to the north of the Ngadirejo sugar factory, you'd find a lot of houses of prostitution. Once the purge of Communist elements got under way, clients stopped coming for sexual satisfaction. The reason: most clients -- and prostitutes -- were frightened, for, hanging up in front of the houses, there were a lot of male Communist genitals -- like bananas hung out for sale.

e: Actually this also reminds me of this article about one that most people aren't aware of, the killings of Koreans in Japan after the 1923 Great Kanto earthquake:. This one unnerves me more than most, because it broke out in a relatively developed country and the immediate cause was just rumours that spread after a natural disaster, it's like we're all teetering on the brink of straight-up insanity:

quote:

Every train was more than full. People sat even on top of the coal. All Koreans were dragged out. Immediately, they were executed by the army's swords and bullets. Japanese passengers yelled out "Long Live" victoriously. ... Our battalion was inspired by this blood fest and started Korean hunt in earnest.

"They were Koreans. Completely lost color, they were talking desperately some language which I did not understand. "Stop yapping, you loving..." One soldier raised the sword and dropped it right on the head of a man who was restlessly moving. ... "Ha, ha, ha. Just what they deserve." "All of them, kill all of them." "You loving animals." "You pigs go to hell." About ten soldiers raised their swords high in one action.

On September 4, the first truck arrived, carrying handcuffed Koreans. They had already been attacked on the way and many were injured and wore bloody clothes. Trucks continued to arrive in the police station. The news of the Koreans' arrival attracted the vigilantes to the station. The men, armed with swords, carpenter hooks, and spears, violently assaulted the Koreans. An eyewitness stated the violence was unspeakable: the mob lined up children in front of parents and cut their throats; they then nailed parents to the wall by wrists and ankles and tortured them to death (haritsuke in Japanese). One Japanese man was sawing off an arm from a living Korean. Most Koreans, according to this witness, did not resist.

... The judge smiled and pointed to Yoshinosuke that the long sword that Yoshinosuke used was a litle too much of a big deal. Yoshinosuke also smiled and answered: "[laughter] I could not find anything better than that ... When I got to the Kumagai temple, someone said 'let's do it,' and then we all stabbed Koreans." This statement was contradicting his previous statement. The judge reproached him saying: "But you said earlier that you yourself were determined to behead Koreans." "Yes, I did, but I could not get the head off." As for the large rock [that he used to kill Koreans], he made a large circle. The coutroom was filled with chuckles and giggles.

Zohar has a new favorite as of 18:40 on Aug 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

coleman francis posted:

HEAVILY involved. As in funded and supported.

It was mainly gving out "medicine" that's thought to have actually been small arms as I recall, it had enough momentum of its own that the US didn't really need to actively do anything other than just sit back and watch, then support Suharto when the smoke cleared up. Might be misremembering though.

• Locked thread