Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Zeroisanumber posted:

EMT here. The highest BAC I've seen someone bloodtested at and still be conscious and talking (not making sense, but talking) was .72.

It's possible to get higher, but the chance of death increases pretty exponentially ~.8, and only really hardened alcoholics can routinely function above a .25.

And when these dudes start to sober up, holy poo poo. Alcohol withdrawl is no joke.

Edit: hell, here's the Wiki page.

quote:

Six to 12 hours after the ingestion of the last drink, withdrawal symptoms such as shaking, headache, sweating, anxiety, nausea or vomiting occur. Other comparable symptoms may also exist in this period. Twelve to 24 hours after cessation, the condition may progress to such major symptoms as confusion, hallucinations, (with awareness of reality) tremor, agitation, and similar ailments. It's between the 24 and 48 hour period that seizures typically may begin to emerge among the previous symptoms in the period, and this is where the serious risk of mortality begins. Although most often, the condition begins to improve past the 48 hour mark, it can sometimes continue to increase in severity to delirium tremens, characterized by hallucinations that are indistinguishable from reality, severe confusion, more seizures, high blood pressure and fever which can persist anywhere from 4 to 12 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Mikl posted:

Seriously, give a good once-over to that article. The kind of irresponsibility the park management had towards the safety of guests is simply chilling.

I went there as a teenager. It was everything described. Booze, rides, firing tennis ball cannons through plexiglass safety shields... and that closed-off loop waterslide. The rumor back then was that they closed it due to a fatality.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

HonorableTB posted:

Yeah, but Israel apologized and paid an indemnity for it. That's quite a bit different than killing a sitting member of the US government, even if he was just a Representative.

Flight 007 did overfly a fairly significant chunk of Soviet territory during one of the most tense periods of the cold war. The Soviets were never going to apologize for that one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Air_Lines_Flight_007

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

So, best selling murder mystery author Anne Perry is a murderer.

Did not see that coming.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parker-Hulme_murder_case

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Yeah I was watching the oscars which led me to the wiki entry for Heavenly Creatures which led me to :stare:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

If you haven't seen The Fog Of War, you really need to. There's a big section on burning down Japan.

Edit: also, here's a pic of part of Manila after US troops were done liberating it from the Japanese army:

[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Manila_Walled_City_Destruction_May_1945.jpg

That was all done by ground troops using tanks, direct fire artillery, and flamethrowers.

War is hosed up.

Smiling Jack has a new favorite as of 07:24 on Feb 25, 2013

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisco_Nguema

quote:

During Christmas of 1975 he ordered about 150 of his opponents killed. Soldiers dressed up in Santa Claus costumes executed them by shooting at the football stadium in Malabo, while amplifiers were playing Mary Hopkin's "Those Were the Days".

:wtc:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/html/nyregion/20050812_WTC_GRAPHIC/met_WTC_histories_full_01.html

Oral interviews with firefighters and ems personnel after 9/11.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Jack Gladney posted:

The one thing I'll never forget about this case is that they actually arrested a guy on the basis of her totally fake police report. When she confessed, there was a totally innocent guy getting grilled and set up to go to trial for no other reason than he was black. It scares the hell out of me that the cops are so gung-ho to solve a crime that they'll run off and bust somebody without bothering to check up on the story at all. They were listening to the killer the whole time but never thought to check her out because the story matched so closely what they expected to hear.

I think you are confusing this with another case. The cops thought Smith was lying pretty much from day one, as her story made no sense. Nobody else was arrested in the case.

Smith claimed she was stopped at a red light when she was carjacked; however the intersection she stopped at was always green unless another car at the cross intersection triggered a light change.

Cops couldn't find any other witnesses from the intersection and Smith claimed she didn't see any other cars. Cops played along for a bit as they hoped the kids were still alive, but they eventually got her to confess.

Smiling Jack has a new favorite as of 19:43 on Jun 16, 2013

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

pienipple posted:

Nope. Hurricane Sandy scoured Fire Island and it's unlikely they'll find any more remains that might have been there.

No remains were found on Fire Island. The remains were found off of Ocean Parkway, which runs between Jones Beach and Robert Moses state park, one barrier island west of Fire Island.

Ocean parkway was not heavy traveled or patrolled during the winter months (and was a great location for illegal drag racing but I digress), making it a fantastic dump site for bodies.

The area was pretty well hosed up by Sandy, but the search for remains had wrapped up before the storm hit.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

You're the only person I've ever met who thinks ocean parkway is on fire island.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Speaking of weird Canadian poo poo, The Mad Trapper. Dude showed up in the middle of loving nowhere Canada and welp, it ends in shootouts, murder, and a truly epic escape attempt through the loving Yukon in the middle of winter.

From the initial interview through the final shootout, Johnson never said a word.

Smiling Jack has a new favorite as of 03:32 on Jun 25, 2013

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Not quite Kolwoon, but I give you Shibam, Yemen:

From the webpage at http://www.hgesch-gallery.com/ which is pretty drat cool.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Crow Jane posted:

If you're looking for a book on the topic that will seriously get your blood boiling, we read this in class.

Ward Churchill was accused of some fairly serious academic misconduct (not to mention falsely claiming to be a native american/first people/cherokee/etc).

I'd recommend 1491 as a pretty good entry point instead.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Crow Jane posted:

Wow, I hadn't heard of that, so I looked it up... that's pretty hosed up. How could anyone think they could get away with outright fabrication in this day and age?

He had gotten away with lying about everything from being a LRRP in Vietnam to being a Cherokee for years, then he got too famous (slandering 911 victims as Little Eichmanns) and welp, when your career is built on a false identity that's not a good idea.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Phone Phreaking was a vital skill in the early days of computer subculture. Cracked C64 games (or whoever) would frequently have various BBS numbers to dial; if you couldn't get free long distance, dialing into one of those BBSs was hella expensive.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

You think that kid was gullible? Check this poo poo out:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Hendy-Freegard

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

wafflesnsegways posted:

But their bodies were found several hours north of their home, not on the way to Mexico at all.

I'm leaning towards murder-suicide, but this case is pretty weird.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Toilet Clam posted:

So who buried them?

I haven't read the number of graves yet. Wouldn't be surprised if all the bodies weren't buried.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Yep, back into seriously weird.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Yeah, we watched The Day After, aka the wimpy version of Threads when I was in high school.

Gave me nightmares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Mikl posted:

You know what's worse than mercury? Dimethylmercury.

There's an anecdote in Ignition! where someone or other suggests using Dimethylmercury in rocket fuel. The author called up Eastman Kodak and tried to order a quantity of the stuff and the chemical engineer on the other end of the line flipped out when he heard the amount being ordered.

Ignition! is an absolutely insane history of rocket fuel development. It's available as a PDF floating around the internet.

• Locked thread