Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Yeah there are definitely some spoilers in there. I don't regret watching it, but others might.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Zorak posted:

Speaking of weird anime comparisons, it's sort of funny the random Godannar parallels in this. Mecha with spinning plasma drives in their chests piloted by two people fight monsters from the depths of the ocean not of our world. Different nations make their own huge honking robots to accomplish this.

Ideally this would have less weird fanservice. Ideally.

Oh god, wasn't the Russian team a literal S&M pair, right down to the robot using a whip?

God, that loving show... :eng99:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Admiral Goodenough posted:

This whole concept is incredibly cool. I think the rocket punch was what really got me excited in the trailer, it just made it that tiny bit more realistic (for a given value of realistic). This might actually motivate me to finally watch some mecha-related shows before the premiere!

e. I'm just gonna... choose one of these thousands of shows... :negative:

Three mecha shows you should give a watch:

For a show most like the movie, The Big O, because it seems like this movie is basically Big O with giant monsters(right down to the aesthetics of some of the Jaegers, called "Megadeus" in Big O), it's also Batman With Giant Robots.

Turn A Gundam, a show less about the giant robots and more about the people around them and the consequences of their destructive abilities, set in early 1900's Ameria. Syd Mead designed many of the mecha, he did the mechanical designs for Tron and Blade Runner. We just finished a Simulwatch of the show, and there's a link to a torrent of the full series in the OP of that thread(it's unlicensed). One of my favorite shows I've ever seen, with some of the most incredible music I've ever heard.

And for Super Robot-type shows, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, here's the intro. The show sets the rule for absurdity/over the topness and is a very popular 26-episode show. If you still need convincing after watching a couple episodes, mouse over this spoiler, otherwise DO NOT mouse over this spoiler: THE MOON is a giant battleship/robot. That's not even CLOSE to how bananas it gets.

Krataar posted:

I don't have a picture, but they immediately stood out to me as giant carnifexs

?

Asiina posted:

That's the only thing I hope it doesn't borrow from anime.

I don't need the movie to end with the protagonist sitting in a chair while lines yell at him, but it's okay because he decides that he likes himself.

If you're feeling burned from watching Evangelion, I suggest watching End of Evangelion, followed by the Rebuild movies.

They're real good. I liked'em a lot better than the series, though End of Eva is partially a big middle finger to the fanbase due to crazy people threatening to kill the creator of Eva over the series's ending(said death threats are actually pictured in the ending). The Rebuild movies are still ongoing and loving FANTASTIC, especially 2.22.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Giant zergling?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Pierson posted:

You can go into ADTRW and get a dozen different viewpoints on why Eva is the most pandering vacuous garbage ever or a masterpiece of insight, was a cludged-together amalgam that stumbled into being a classic or a piercing decontruction of its own genre and pedigree. All of them will be right and all of them will be wrong.

Getting back onto topic though this does look incredibly fun. I've not been on the Del Toro fantrain that long (I only saw Pan's Labyrinth a year or so ago, and the rest soon followed) but he's never been anything less than entertaining. I just really hope Elba doesn't end up being the Awesome Mentor Who Dies To Spur On His Young Protege. :(

Seems like he'll at least make it to the last act. That speech has big final fight written all over it.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Actually Just watch the 1st season of Big O. Best Mecha show ever, batman as gently caress.

The second season is where it gets interesting though. There's all kinds of interesting stuff there about identity and authorship and the whole thing gets surreal and non literal, it's great.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
One thing I remember about that is Cartoon Network airing one episode of the Big O, accidently repeating the same episode next time when peeps really wanted to find out what happened, and then pulling a prank by starting off with the same episode the week after as if they made the same mistake again and going "psych!"

That and mustaches.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Awesome info in that trailer commentary.

We get to see what's on the other side of the portal! gently caress yes.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
loving pumped for this thing. Hoping for a really loving high number of monster face punches.

Captain Invictus posted:

watching End of Evangelion,
Don't do this. It is a terrible awful waste of time that doesn't make the slightest bit of goddamn sense. It's basically the creator giving the finger to everyone whose watched up till then.

Captain Invictus posted:

followed by the Rebuild movies.

These are pretty cool though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
End of Evangelion owns, and it makes no sense whatsoever to watch Rebuild without the original series and film in mind.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

paragon1 posted:

Don't do this. It is a terrible awful waste of time that doesn't make the slightest bit of goddamn sense. It's basically the creator giving the finger to everyone whose watched up till then.

The majority of EoE is actually really straightforward. Are you sure you're not thinking of the TV ending, where the plot decided to go on holiday in favor of the characters psychoanalyzing themselves?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, if someone was to watch Rebuild, they should watch the series/EOE. Because Rebuild is likely a sequel to those.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WickedIcon posted:

The majority of EoE is actually really straightforward. Are you sure you're not thinking of the TV ending, where the plot decided to go on holiday in favor of the characters psychoanalyzing themselves?

Recommending someone to watch the thing without watching EoE is like telling them not to watch the ending, because the TV ending definitely doesn't count.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
So since the portal is on the bottom of the ocean floor I assume these robots will go to the ocean floor, possibly to punch monsters down there??

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Asiina posted:

The Russian one reminds me of this dude from Bleach and his stupid loving hat.

He's noticed you did not mention him...

As for Evangelion talk, watch the TV series, including it's ending. Then watch End of Evangelion. Then the Rebuild movies.

I'm not going to expand on in it in this thread but supposedly all three like some sort of Schrodinger's cat scenario, where they both exist and don't exist, or like some sort of time travel loop. However, everything starts with the series.

As for big gently caress-all super robot anime, there's always Aim For The Top! Gunbuster, where it's teenage girls in giant robots going off to war, fighting epic space monsters the size of small islands and enduring relativistic travel and the Earth changing as they go further out to fight the alien horde. I'm surprised if the paired pilots premise doesn't come from that show as well. The last episodes get so megaepic at its climax, with, at one point, they weaponize Jupiter into a giant singularity bomb to throw at the aliens.

Agamembar
Jan 21, 2005

A USS Enterprise appears.
USS Enterprise uses 'Phaser Barrage'.
Its super effective.

Zzulu posted:

So since the portal is on the bottom of the ocean floor I assume these robots will go to the ocean floor, possibly to punch monsters down there??

Or into the monster dimension, the voice over in the trailer mentions a 'them' a lot. 'They' thought humanity would hide and give up so either the monsters are smarter than you would first guess or other dimension aliens are controlling/sending them over.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Mordiceius posted:

Awesome info in that trailer commentary.

We get to see what's on the other side of the portal! gently caress yes.

"My goal was to make a movie that would make my head explode if I was 12."

Guillermo, you are now officially the best director ever.

RamrodMC
Mar 2, 2011

midget astronaut
I remember reading a quick blurb about this somewhere way back in late 2011, I believe, and I thought it sounded interesting, but never gave it much thought. I missed every piece of news of it since.

I'm glad I did, cause now I got the most rocket-punchiest, excercise-machine-cockpit-controlerest, Stringer-Bell-robot-pilotest Christmas surprise ever. This movie just shot right up to my most anticipated for next year.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

RamrodMC posted:

I remember reading a quick blurb about this somewhere way back in late 2011, I believe, and I thought it sounded interesting, but never gave it much thought. I missed every piece of news of it since.

I'm glad I did, cause now I got the most rocket-punchiest, excercise-machine-cockpit-controlerest, Stringer-Bell-robot-pilotest Christmas surprise ever. This movie just shot right up to my most anticipated for next year.

This is my most anticipated movie right now too, my only fear is that Idris Elba will get a "Prometheus" treatment and not be the character he deserves. I don't think it will happen, but if his "Independance Day" speech is his only big part in the movie then gently caress that.

Seriously he's such a loving good actor but my only friends who have heard of him are either 1. people who have seen his pictuers on the internet and think he's hot and B. people who have seen The Wire. I want him to break through, because he is one of our finest actors today.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
He's doing well, man. He's getting roles in big blockbuster movies, he had a big role in the greatest TV show of all time and he had his own british show as well and I think he's going to play Nelson Mandela in that new Nelson Mandela movie thing

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Slackerish posted:

This is my most anticipated movie right now too, my only fear is that Idris Elba will get a "Prometheus" treatment and not be the character he deserves. I don't think it will happen, but if his "Independance Day" speech is his only big part in the movie then gently caress that.

Seriously he's such a loving good actor but my only friends who have heard of him are either 1. people who have seen his pictuers on the internet and think he's hot and B. people who have seen The Wire. I want him to break through, because he is one of our finest actors today.

While his treatment in Prometheus did suck and I also wish he had a bigger role, he and the other pilots were about the only likeable human characters in the entire movie.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Young Freud posted:

As for Evangelion talk, watch the TV series, including it's ending. Then watch End of Evangelion. Then the Rebuild movies.

I could never really enjoy Evangelion, except for the giant robot punchy bits that seemed to get further and further apart as time went on. That whining poo poo of a main character made me despise the show so much. I know it's apparently a thing in a lot of Japanese works to have a pathetic character as the protagonist, but good god I cannot sympathise with someone that pathetic. I wanted to slap the little poo poo.

I found myself agreeing with his sadistic father more and more as the series went on. Then the final episode hit - 30 minutes of someone vomiting up half chewed crayons onto a blank canvas with inane disjointed psychoprattle as the soundtrack.

Remember when the excellent first Matrix movie turned into the Matrix trilogy and a great action movie became a bullshit philosophical wank fest because the Wachowski brothers thought we all watched the movies because of their deep grasp of what it means to be human rather than because of people with superpowers punching Priscilla Queen of the Desert in the face a thousand times?

Yeah, like that. But without the gratuitous thirty minute rave orgy scene.

TLDR - gently caress Evangelion.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Evangelion was mainly commenting on it's fans and in any kind of reflection on anime fandom you'll realize it was a pretty apt comment.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Shinji only really becomes "pathetic" in any reprehensible sense at the very end, after he's been psychologically destroyed by everything that's happened to him. Early in the show his motivations are literally heroic (he hates piloting but comes back again and again out of a feeling of responsibility to the weak and defenseless), and if he "whines" it's because he's a 14-year-old boy whose father abandoned him and whose mother was probably a psychopath with delusions of godhood, on top of dying right in front of him.

EDIT: Anyways, Anno is a chronic depressive and his show ends with little to no hope of the characters ever fixing themselves. Del Toro has a much more optimistic vision in general, but sometimes that optimism isn't hanging by more than a thread. (Like in Pan's Labyrinth, for example.) That's why I'm so interested in seeing the two overlap -- there's no way he'd tell the same story, but he could bring a similar one to a more satisfying end.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 14, 2012

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Gorilla Salad posted:

I could never really enjoy Evangelion, except for the giant robot punchy bits that seemed to get further and further apart as time went on. That whining poo poo of a main character made me despise the show so much. I know it's apparently a thing in a lot of Japanese works to have a pathetic character as the protagonist, but good god I cannot sympathise with someone that pathetic. I wanted to slap the little poo poo.

I found myself agreeing with his sadistic father more and more as the series went on. Then the final episode hit - 30 minutes of someone vomiting up half chewed crayons onto a blank canvas with inane disjointed psychoprattle as the soundtrack.

Remember when the excellent first Matrix movie turned into the Matrix trilogy and a great action movie became a bullshit philosophical wank fest because the Wachowski brothers thought we all watched the movies because of their deep grasp of what it means to be human rather than because of people with superpowers punching Priscilla Queen of the Desert in the face a thousand times?

Yeah, like that. But without the gratuitous thirty minute rave orgy scene.

TLDR - gently caress Evangelion.

You should watch Rebuild.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
I'm pumped for this. The trailer looked amazing, and heck, I'd watch anything with Idris Elba in it anyway.

I am a big fan of Guillermo Del Toro, and while I was very sad to hear that the Mountains of Madness -project never came to be, this is as good of a replacement as I can think of. I certainly enjoyed Evangelion when I was in high-school, and the first two 'movie-remakes' have been great. The third one, I hear, isn't that good, unfortunately.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

I would hate Evangelion if it weren't for the fact that I can't help but respect something that's about the fate of the world being in the hands of a deeply depressed teenager. If you took that out you would basically be left with a significantly worse version of the Transformers movies and not, say, Titus Pullo in a mech suit.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Enough with Evangelion, let's talk about the greatest good bad movie of all time. A movie so amazing that the Bad Movie Fiends podcast uses it as their gold standard by which they judge all other "bad" movies - Robot Jox

In a world ravaged by nuclear war, the two remaining countries fight for territory and resources using giant machines piloted by men called Robot Jox. These machines are animated with some of the best stop motion I've ever seen in a movie by a smallish studio. I believe the models were something like three or four feet tall. You'll see a resemblance between the Jaegars and the giant robots and it looks to me like there's a large influence. Someone earlier posted a gif showing part of the Pacific Rim trailer next to a pretty identical scene from Robot Jox. There's even a piloting system that reads movements instead of using controls.

The film is made by director Stuart Gordon, best known for his film Re-Animator. It didn't do well in the theaters, making a little over 10% of its budget back, and was disdained by critics because (due to project delays) it had Cold War themes right after the Cold War ended. It does have a cult following now, and it definitely deserves it. Until Pacific Rim, this movie was the absolute pinnacle of Western Giant Robot movies. You should definitely check it out if you've never seen it before and are interested in Pacific Rim.

Here's the first fight scene, from about 10 minutes into the movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUxDmKFCD2o

jesus_rocket
Jan 11, 2006

OMG HAPPEE
I was excited when I heard about this movie, but something about the robots just seems off. They don't like really distinctive or anything, like you can tell if something is "gundam" or an "eva unit" sort of deal. But these are just.. big metal men. Aside from Cherno Alpha which is what i'd expect a big lumbering war machine to look like.

This just really looks like a dumb popcorn flick, I was hoping it'd be some sort of x-com like deal where they have to balance out all the collateral damage with how many monsters they kill, or actually examining the whole "Is building a monster to fight a monster a good thing?" theme. But no, it just looks like a "gruff veteran gets partnered with rookie, bad things happen but they triumph in end" type of deal.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I hate big CGI movies based in/around water because they never do the splash/wave stuff convincingly.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cherno-Alpha's hat looks way more like a conning tower to me than a reactor, so I just hope that it is entirely submersible and at one point uppercuts a monster straight out of the water.

If Gundam has taught me anything, it's that amphibious giant robots are the best giant robots.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

jesus_rocket posted:

"Is building a monster to fight a monster a good thing?" theme.

That poster makes it look more like that kind of movie. It's pretty hard to tell what the movie will be like from a minute and a half of footage, you could probably do shot-for-shot remakes of the trailer from about 30 different mecha anime, films and TV shows even though each show is vastly different in plot and character.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

jesus_rocket posted:

This just really looks like a dumb popcorn flick, I was hoping it'd be some sort of x-com like deal where they have to balance out all the collateral damage with how many monsters they kill, or actually examining the whole "Is building a monster to fight a monster a good thing?" theme. But no, it just looks like a "gruff veteran gets partnered with rookie, bad things happen but they triumph in end" type of deal.

The part in the trailer where it says "we made monsters to destroy monsters" or whatever hints to me that they very well might explore that theme. Del Toro calling it a "love poem to monster movies" also implies that it'll be deeper than a dumb action movie.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Mercrom posted:

I would hate Evangelion if it weren't for the fact that I can't help but respect something that's about the fate of the world being in the hands of a deeply depressed teenager. If you took that out you would basically be left with a significantly worse version of the Transformers movies and not, say, Titus Pullo in a mech suit.

This is why I love Eureka 7. Because once you cut through all the Buddhist symbols and references to The Golden Bough, you essentially have the fate of the world being dependent on two teenagers developing a drama-free and loving relationship, which is about as easy as herding kittens.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Fatkraken posted:

That poster makes it look more like that kind of movie.

I think it's also missing an arm.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Young Freud posted:

He's noticed you did not mention him...

Is that Maximilian from The Black Hole? I love that thing.

Even when I was a little kid and watched this movie the first thing I thought was this scene and what kind of galactic error it was to put stands full of people next to giant robots fighting. I mean I was like 8 years old and went uh, yeah of course all those people died you put them next to giant robots fighting. I'm surprised it took five minutes.

I remember nothing else about this movie other than this scene.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 14, 2012

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm at least glad there is a giant robot movie that has the guts to show giant robots and monsters without aping Terminaters/Transformers motion-captured overcomplicated skeletal designs for "believability". Suits don't think giant robots are acceptable to an audiences suspension of disbelief unless they look like something from a movie that's already made bank.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Something really important is that the logo for STRIKER EUREKA is a bulldog chomping on a missile. Wanna meet that dog. Wanna shake his hand.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jonny Angel posted:

Something really important is that the logo for STRIKER EUREKA is a bulldog chomping on a missile. Wanna meet that dog. Wanna shake his hand.

Well, whatever's left of it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Another thing that's interesting to note is the size differential between the Jaegars. Cherno Alpha looks like the biggest at about 114 meters, Striker Eureka's next at 104. Gipsy Danger looks down right tiny compared to those guys, barely clearing 80. The numbers are really grainy in the pictures posted, so I might be mistaking the numbers here, but the different size scales gives an idea of the different operational priorities in designing each Jaegar.

• Locked thread