Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'm actually a tiny bit disappointed that this doesn't look more like the "Guillermo del Toro's Evangelion" I originally heard it described as, with the emphasis on human insecurity and neurosis vs. standing strong and unified against an external threat.

On the other hand, it still looks awesome, and trailers can be misleading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Giggily posted:

The trailer looks alright. I like the mech designs a lot more than I thought I would after the main Jaeger was first revealed, but at the same time all of the shots of them actually piloting it struck me as being goofy as hell. It looks like they're in some kind of ridiculous exercise machine.

This is totally in keeping with the source genre.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You can't have a giant monster movie without the scene where the conventional military throws everything they have at them to no effect. How else would you justify giant robots? :colbert:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

FooF posted:

Well, they had to be able to take down a few before the robots were invented, otherwise humanity would already be wiped out. I imagine that the conventional military can take out the lesser creatures but it's prohibitively expensive in terms of cost and loss of life hence: giant robots.

But yes, I hope to see a prologue where the military is called on to fight off the first arrival(s) and see them struggle mightily to do so.

I wasn't thinking of anything so literal. The logistics of using guns or lasers and whether they can beat the monster's armor class is secondary at best; giant robots are cool, they're piloted by a few relatable characters instead of a whole army, and they're probably thematically appropriate for reasons we don't know yet.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 13, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Goreld posted:

In Evangelion, they made this a specific focus of the series with AT fields (ie. the enemy monsters could withstand 50 megaton nukes). Unfortunately, the explanation of AT fields devolved into an existential dilemma involving human consciousness and humanity being 'one entity' that's separated into individual humans due to our AT field and... well...

It's really not that complicated.

The AT field is the soul, or the barrier between one person's mind and another. Evas can break it down. Evangelion as a whole is about a (disastrous) attempt to erase all boundaries between people, effectively "cheating" and skipping all the hard work of human relationships.

If the explanation is some totally mechanical "well the monsters are nuke-proof," with no symbolic relevance beyond that, that would be kinda boring.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 13, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

End of Evangelion owns, and it makes no sense whatsoever to watch Rebuild without the original series and film in mind.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Shinji only really becomes "pathetic" in any reprehensible sense at the very end, after he's been psychologically destroyed by everything that's happened to him. Early in the show his motivations are literally heroic (he hates piloting but comes back again and again out of a feeling of responsibility to the weak and defenseless), and if he "whines" it's because he's a 14-year-old boy whose father abandoned him and whose mother was probably a psychopath with delusions of godhood, on top of dying right in front of him.

EDIT: Anyways, Anno is a chronic depressive and his show ends with little to no hope of the characters ever fixing themselves. Del Toro has a much more optimistic vision in general, but sometimes that optimism isn't hanging by more than a thread. (Like in Pan's Labyrinth, for example.) That's why I'm so interested in seeing the two overlap -- there's no way he'd tell the same story, but he could bring a similar one to a more satisfying end.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 14, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jonny Angel posted:

Something really important is that the logo for STRIKER EUREKA is a bulldog chomping on a missile. Wanna meet that dog. Wanna shake his hand.

Well, whatever's left of it. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Longinus00 posted:

Can someone clarify why evangelion keeps getting brought up in relation to this movie? Is it because this movie's plot is going to get really subversive about half way through (and then have the final 10 minutes of the film just be some place holder shots with some narration because the budget ran out) or is it just because literally the first giant robot anime everyone thinks about is evangelion? Watching the trailer I really don't see anything evangelion related at all, besides giant robots but that's hardly what made evangelion's famous, but obviously the action sequences aren't everything.

Also whoever it was that said the jagers need to form up into voltron better get in contact with Del Toro for the sequel's screenplay brainstorming.

Because early info about the show made it sound like pilot psychology was going to be a big deal, in addition to the other obvious resemblances.

(Also, the final episodes of Evangelion were storyboarded that way, it had nothing to do with the budget. :goonsay: )

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

OK Octopus posted:

“I felt there was a chance to do something fresh, something new that at the same time was conscious of the heritage, but not a pastiche or an homage or a greatest hits of everything. One of the first things I did is make it a point to not check any old movies or any other references. Like start from scratch.”

Funny, because right now it looks exactly like a giant pastiche.

Personally, I think this is great, I love pastiche.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

But I've been waiting so long to finally be able to discuss my animes in CD......

"Guys, stop making my childish glee at giant robots and monsters in a 100% COOL AND AMERICAN medium look bad by comparing it to... that!"

This post is not intended to disparage childish glee.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 17, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jonah Galtberg posted:

This movie is not an anime. It might have some callbacks to certain animes but it is not an anime. I would say just about as many words have been written about anime ITT as there have about this movie or other kaiju movies like Godzilla.

Say it with me: this movie is not an anime.

Obsessively avoiding the medium is as dumb as obsessing over it. If it's a relevant comparison, people are gonna talk about it.

I've got Robot Jox on my Netflix queue and I'm looking forward to finding out what I've been missing. Probably going to look up The Big O, too, because in all honesty my exposure to the giant robot genre is a bit lacking. :)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Undead Unicorn posted:

They can't help but compare one of it's primary influences? Say it ain't so! Relevant discussion has no place in Cinema Discussion!

Well, it's still kind of early to say anything about primary influences.

For all we know it's actually an homage to the best movie about alien monsters coming out of an underwater rift to another dimension and fighting a man-made giant robot: Godzilla vs. Megalon! :eng101:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Mercrom posted:

Well, I don't know anything about giant robot tropes or early Godzilla movies.

And here I was afraid this might have gone to archives: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3350308

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

So I just saw Robot Jox.

It's... definitely the best dramatic re-enactment of a story told by a six-year-old I've ever seen!

and then the robots went into space and the bad robot shot a missile at a good robot and they crashed and the good robot turned into a tank but the bad robot tipped him over and then a buzzsaw came out but he punched him with his own fist and the bad robot totally EXPLODED and the robot guys got out and punched each other but then they were friends. The end!

:3:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

reagan posted:

Why are you spoiler tagging Robot Jox?

I spoil tag anything that isn't in its own thread, because I don't assume that everyone has been alive since the dawn of filmmaking seeing everything that comes out.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

TTGL is also itself a pastiche where each arc of the show loosely corresponds to an era of giant robot shows.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

I remember a quote from someone saying Unicron was the most fitting role Welles could have ever had, but I can't find it.

It was in the Transformers thread, but it's dozens of pages long by now.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

A reference doesn't have to be a direct, one-to-one carbon copy, you know.

Better if it isn't, even. Like the GladOS thing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Thunderlips posted:

Giant robots are inherently awesome. But if they're making this world "realistic-ish,"

I stopped reading here, because everything past this point is about some theoretical movie I've never heard of.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I liked Hellboy 2 but it did seem a little constrained by the separate demands of "be a comic book adaptation" and "be a Del Toro movie." I'd love to see him just be given free rein to do that particular combination of character study and spectacle that made the best moments of Hellboy 2.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

Everything is about EVA, EVERYTHING.

Except Eva, which is about Jesus.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I don't buy figures, but just as an aesthetic choice I like how dirty and well-used it looks.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

teagone posted:

I know you goons were all wondering what a pile of kaiju poo poo would look like. Well...

So... fewmets?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Why would del Toro confirm Rocket Punches? Does he play fighting games? :allears:

Rocket punches predate fighting games by about a decade, dude.

(Or fighting games with rocket punches in them, anyways.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

I think the first "rock punch" was with robot anime Mazinger Z in 1972.
So, yeah, it precedes fighting games a little.

And Karate Champ came out in 1984. :eng101:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

A Canadian mech is only marginally more likely than a French mech that doesn't play to lovely cowardly stereotypes.

The French Jaeger was built in Corsica, and is equally effective at killing Kaiju despite being only half the normal size.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

7c Nickel posted:

Doubtful he'll have the homing nasal shurikens though.

This is a wonderful sequence of words.

Also all the people whining about the possibility of the movie having a theme can :frogout: This is the guy who wrote and directed Pan's Labyrinth and Mimic, I think he knows how to avoid trite endings.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

The reason they aren't using nukes is actually quite simple: It's a movie about giant loving robots.
Now if Guillermo wanted to make a Fallout movie or had the Tom Clancy rights, then sure let the rockets fly. But he wanted rocket punches, so we're getting rocket punches.

You're not thinking this through.

Clearly we need nuclear rocket punches.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Maybe Kaiju are very sensitive to cancer.

I have a sneaking suspicion Kaiju cancer might be only slightly less belligerent and hungry than an actual Kaiju.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

A solid list of live action kaiju films would probably be handy, as well.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Republicans posted:

Am I the only one kinda worried that it won't have nearly enough robots and monsters punching each other and mostly end up being about the people driving the robots and all the stuff they do that isn't driving robots?

I'm totally okay with that possibility, but I don't think it'll be the case.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

tallian posted:

LOST would have been dramatically improved by giant robots.

Hang on, I think I've seen that show.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Wizchine posted:

Well it seems pretty clear that the protagonist is sharing the memory of his new co-pilot witnessing as a young girl the first Kaiju attack in San Francisco. (He's standing there in his "flight" suit as an adult.)

This is cooler to me than pretty much any degree or form of robot/monster interaction. I think my inner child is defective.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Yes Tacit Ronin will be a rogue jaegr. The kaiju will pay the robot in kaiju dollars and he will spend them at the kaiju store.

Or you know, he might be working for a black market kaiju organ smuggler. Imagine how inconvenient it would be to try and separate kaiju from their organs without a giant robot.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Travis343 posted:

Right, because if there's one thing generations of kaiju and tokusatsu movies are known for, it's big eyes and boobs.

Godzilla is a refined gentleman and this hurtful slander will not stand.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

You think Howard would write a black guy as a heroic leader?

I think if I were adapting a Howard novel I would cast Idris Elba with no regard for context, just to spite him.

Also because Idris Elba is awesome.

Lobok posted:

Or maybe the "create monsters" line has to do with the ultimate Jaegar being a Jaegar-Kaiju hybrid? A mechanical-organic Frankenstein?

I suspect it's just a reference to how they kill or mentally damage their pilots. That's plenty, really, and if I'm right it'd hint at a more personal story about killing twenty story sea monsters. :allears:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Travis343 posted:

Thats badass and everything but what happens if you miss?

That block city country was already messed up!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Disappointingly for Del Toro so far all of the kaiju do appear to just be large animal amalgamations.

Less "animal amalgmations" and more "blatant visual quotes of classic movie monsters," which makes it a little better.

I'm sure he'll let loose with more original designs at some point; it is Del Toro after all.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

If Cabin in the Woods were a love letter, it'd be from someone who's cheating on you. You might remember the Purge fondly (and I never could figure out what the film was trying to say in the end) but the first half is neither scary enough nor funny enough to be good horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

PaganGoatPants posted:

That head seems really small?

It's at least forty feet tall, the perspective's kind of funky. To put it in perspective, here's a picture of a bunch of real life museum-goers with a dinosaur skeleton:

http://imgur.com/b4rlYEF

And remember, that's just the skull.

EDIT: Also robot shows have a huuuge history of things magically changing sizes to suit the needs of the plot (see: Evangelions being small enough to climb into with a rope ladder in a matter of seconds vs. big enough to pick up and throw a battleship) and I'm sure Del Toro knows this.

EDIT2: It's head is the size of a T-Rex. Not the size of a T-Rex head, the size of the whole dinosaur. And looking at photos of a T-Rex skeleton with onlookers I may even have been too conservative with that estimate.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 15, 2013

• Locked thread