Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
Can someone clarify why evangelion keeps getting brought up in relation to this movie? Is it because this movie's plot is going to get really subversive about half way through (and then have the final 10 minutes of the film just be some place holder shots with some narration because the budget ran out) or is it just because literally the first giant robot anime everyone thinks about is evangelion? Watching the trailer I really don't see anything evangelion related at all, besides giant robots but that's hardly what made evangelion's famous, but obviously the action sequences aren't everything.

Also whoever it was that said the jagers need to form up into voltron better get in contact with Del Toro for the sequel's screenplay brainstorming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Jack Does Jihad posted:

I think the main reason, aside from the tagline, is because the script was rumored to be an Evangelion script at one point or something, I think Del Toro had been trying to make it for awhile but I'm not sure.

This makes a lot more sense. Thanks.

Benny the Snake posted:

COMMUNIST TARGET AQUIRED!

Liberty Prime is my favorite mech of all time. It was a two-story tall robot that shot lasers out of its eyes, threw nukes like footballs, and shouted anti-communist slogans. God Bless America! :fsmug:

But the fact that the mechs all have silly names shows a very anime inspiration, which further lends to the theory of this being a send-up to Evangellion.

Liberty Prime was the silliest/best thing. And actually the mechs in Eva were named pretty normally. Units 00 through 14 or however many there were.

EFB.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Yeah I dunno maybe it would be good to talk less about mangas and more about the movie and other movies? No doubt there will be callbacks and references to various animes and mangas but I'm having trouble telling whether this thread is in CD or ADTRW at the moment

Well the guy did post that sweet PIP of Robot Jox. I, for one, will be very disappointed if there is no crotch weaponry in Pacific Rim.

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Other than the different countries each creating there own giant robots piloted by two human minds synchronized together to battle giant monsters invading earth, there aren't many other similarities between this and Evangelion.
This movie also has GlaDoS in it.

Did anyone else get weirded out by the GlaDos voice? Obviously there are many people who have never had any exposure to portal but to me it was just really weird hearing literally the same voice in a completely different context. Since the voice thing was already revealed in the trailer I hope there is at least more portal references in the actual movie itself. Maybe a shot of GlaDos in physical form or just Aperture Science logos all over.

• Locked thread