Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Question Mark Mound posted:

I know it's a dumb reason, but I like getting a notification during the day of what podcasts have updated so I know what to look forward to later.

I only just downloaded it and paid the IAP, but it looks as though it will still sync over cellular, just not download the actual episodes. I believe it's the same option under a different name.

Edit: the name of the setting is specifically "allow cellular downloads" so I'm almost positive this is the case.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jul 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Doesn't it also poll for updates on its own server and then just send you a push notification when your podcast has updated? I thought that was half the point of signing up for an account to use a podcast client.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

PFlats posted:

Doesn't it also poll for updates on its own server and then just send you a push notification when your podcast has updated? I thought that was half the point of signing up for an account to use a podcast client.
Yeah, but the actual downloading of the podcast itself is gonna take up a load of my data allowance. Although it seems that since cellular downloads are part of the IAP anyway then it shouldn't really affect me for testing it out.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah, you need to pay for the IAP and then explicitly flip this switch on if you want it to download over cellular. It's not going to use up your data plan if you don't want it to.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

tuyop posted:

I recommend study blue. It has a whole suite of study tools (multiple choice, fill in the blank, t/f) populated by your flash cards and syncs with the webapp so that you can type them up on a computer first. You can also find cards from other students based on institutions and classes.

Thanks! This looks way better than the other thing someone linked.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Holy poo poo, I "updated" skype and it's basically a crippled piece of poo poo next to the older version. Does anyone have Skype 4.17.135.ipa sitting in their iTunes app folder they could send me? Please? Because dear god the new version is bad.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
While I will certainly agree with you that Skype's UI is horrendous, even if someone has the old IPA around it will be DRM'd to their account so unless you can find your own older version of the app, you're boned.

(I guess if you're jailbroken there's probably some way to :filez: it.)

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
poo poo. It's not the new UI as much as the fact that you can no longer send images to people.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Holy poo poo, I "updated" skype and it's basically a crippled piece of poo poo next to the older version. Does anyone have Skype 4.17.135.ipa sitting in their iTunes app folder they could send me? Please? Because dear god the new version is bad.

This doesn't work unless you are jailbroken.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

poo poo. It's not the new UI as much as the fact that you can no longer send images to people.

What? You can totally still send images to people.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

What? You can totally still send images to people.

Nope! It now uploads your image to a Microsoft server and then sends that person a link, which unlike something which is useful then requires you to re-log-in to your Skype account on a website in order to see said image.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Nope! It now uploads your image to a Microsoft server and then sends that person a link, which unlike something which is useful then requires you to re-log-in to your Skype account on a website in order to see said image.

I just click the little paperclip by the part where you type then hit "image" and it just sends the image, as far as I can tell?

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Not to be all HOW CAN YOU THINK THIS YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY WRONG or anything, but the recent overhaul of the Skype app is literally the first time it has been usable on any iPhone I've owned from the 3G to my 5S. Previously it would freeze every time I opened it, and the few times it actually loaded past the startup screen it would refuse to load recent messages, would freeze when I tried to load a convo with someone, and required several force closes+restarts to do the simplest task of "read + send one message". I had given up on using it entirely and when the newest version came out, it's actually been really pleasant to use and has none of the problems I encountered before. I haven't actually tried to send an image with it, but that's not something I do/did at all before because of the aforementioned issues.

edit: I tested it out and do see what you mean though. That is really weird looking and I can imagine why you'd be annoyed with it if it were a feature you'd come to use often.

Valencia fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jul 18, 2014

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
That "Smart Speed" feature on Overcast is amazing. I barely even notice it's on, except when I occasionally think to myself how much smarter people sound without unnecessary pauses between thoughts. It's saving roughly 10% time wise and IMO things sound better with it on than off.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I tried the Smart Speed and it just sounds a little too "clippy" to me. There's just a fraction of a syllable being cut off at the start of words sometimes that makes things sounds a little unnatural.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
I noticed the Smart Speed for the first 10 minutes or so and rarely again afterwards. It seems like certain podcasts are more prone to sounding clipped, but the nice thing is you can apply the effect on a podcast by podcast basis.

I've already saved 38 minutes :toot:

I like the Voice Boost effect too. It beefs up the sound without messing with the quality and evens things out nicely. I no longer have to turn up my car stereo when I plug my phone in to listen to a podcast (which means I don't get blasted by the radio when I turn that on instead).

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

I just click the little paperclip by the part where you type then hit "image" and it just sends the image, as far as I can tell?

Now it uploads it to something like tinypic then sends the other person a link, but it requires the person receiving the file to log into their skype account after clicking the link to see the image.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Now it uploads it to something like tinypic then sends the other person a link, but it requires the person receiving the file to log into their skype account after clicking the link to see the image.

Weird. In my feed it just looks like it sent the photo. I haven't gotten any on it since the update, though.

Valencia
Feb 1, 2005

Cyril, go lock up the product before Cokie Monster here gobbles it all up.

:catdrugs:

TheJoker138 posted:

Weird. In my feed it just looks like it sent the photo. I haven't gotten any on it since the update, though.

Yeah, in-app it looks the same as if you sent a photo via iMessage or what have you, but this is what you/your recipient see on the desktop client:

Which does indeed lead to it prompting you to log in with your account to see the attachment. Definitely could see the frustration if you were used to it working a different way.

(fake edit: unrelated, but I've always been so amused by your avatar, Wafflehound :3: )

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Overcast podcasts owns, I switched from Pocketcasts. I'm not sure it has support for audiobooks/personal mp3 podcasts but I never used that, the rest of the app is really great and spot on.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Does anybody know a good, free Stopwatch app?

I'm searching for something that is exactly like the regular clock stopwatch functionality, but WITHOUT the big, easy to press accidentally, reset button.

So, something that is just a stopwatch, can start, stop, gives a lap time between each start/stop and is hard to accidentally reset.
I've tried a bunch already but none do all of the above...

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Is there a way to see older episodes of a podcast in Instacast? I just started listening to the Marc Maron podcast and it only shows ~100 episodes of the 500 or so.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

EC posted:

Is there a way to see older episodes of a podcast in Instacast? I just started listening to the Marc Maron podcast and it only shows ~100 episodes of the 500 or so.

Not really. The problem is that a lot of podcasts (and WTF seems to be one of them) remove older episodes from their feed so there's no way for Instacast to find them.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Diabolik900 posted:

Not really. The problem is that a lot of podcasts (and WTF seems to be one of them) remove older episodes from their feed so there's no way for Instacast to find them.

Oh, lame. Guess I'll try to find them somewhere else, then.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
He sells access to the back catalog somewhere, I think.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

PFlats posted:

He sells access to the back catalog somewhere, I think.

His own app, if I recall correctly.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Diabolik900 posted:

Yeah, the RSS feed gets pretty massive and people are fetching it constantly so I can see why they do it. But it would be nice if they provided an alternate archives feed.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

101 posted:

His own app, if I recall correctly.

Yep! Thanks for the heads up.

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Anyone recommend an ipad app that can annotate pdfs and power points, plus color in with adjustable opacity?

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

EC posted:

Oh, lame. Guess I'll try to find them somewhere else, then.

To elaborate on this: it's entirely up to the podcaster themselves to decide if their feed has the full back catalog or not. Some (like Planet Money) go all the way back to the beginning. Others (like WTF) sell access to the backlog via an alternate channel (the WTF app). Others I think just prune and it's gone.

geera
May 20, 2003
Smart Speed in Overcast is pretty nice once you get used to it... the only time it consistently bugs me is when people laugh. Especially if someone has kind of a rapid sounding one; it cuts out the split-second pauses and makes them sound like they have a turbo machine-gun laugh. Otherwise it's pretty nice and has saved me 28 minutes so far :cool:

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I'm using an IFTTT rule to save pictures from an album I created on my iPhone to my google drive. I've noticed though that the pictures either take a really long time to show up or they don't at all until I go into the app. Is there a way that I can have it do this without me having to be in the app so that it's actually automated? I feel like I just don't have it setup correctly.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Overcast works fantastically on The Economist Audio Edition. You can't even detect the clipping because the English narrators are already clippy-sounding as hell. And given how long each issue is, every bit of time-saving is a godsend.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
With Textual going free, I'm trying to get back into doing IRC. I got a free ZNC server to connect to, so now I'd like to also be able to connect to it with my iPad and iPhone. I can't figure out which client (Colloquy mobile, Palaver, LimeChat, Mongo, etc.) is going to meet my needs the best. Is there a general consensus about which ones are worth spending money on?

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

Axiem posted:

With Textual going free, I'm trying to get back into doing IRC. I got a free ZNC server to connect to, so now I'd like to also be able to connect to it with my iPad and iPhone. I can't figure out which client (Colloquy mobile, Palaver, LimeChat, Mongo, etc.) is going to meet my needs the best. Is there a general consensus about which ones are worth spending money on?

I thought LimeChat the best of the ones I tried (including Colloquy and Palaver). I was using it regularly up until I discovered IRCCloud.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Axiem posted:

On OS X it's not great, but Colloquy has been the best iOS IRC client I've used.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Does anyone know if you can export the podcasts downloaded on Pocket Casts?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Colloquy' okay, but I'm personally waiting for the iOS 7 update for Palaver.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

obi_ant posted:

Maybe try a desktop app like iExplorer to grab them out of the app directory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

obi_ant posted:

They might be available through iTunes file sharing.

• Locked thread