Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

supersteve posted:

About time they added iPhone 5 support.

No kidding. It was pretty annoying because I check the app frequently throughout the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jimmydean
Aug 25, 2008
What should I use for PowerPoint?

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

jimmydean posted:

What should I use for PowerPoint?

Keynote

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
:siren: Tweetbot is on sale for 99 cents! :siren:

jimmydean
Aug 25, 2008
Thanks.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Wow PCalc went from $9.99 -> 99cents, that is a Good rear end Deal.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
What's a good iphone app for a wakeup alarm that is similar to GentleAlarm on android?

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

PaganGoatPants posted:

What's a good iphone app for a wakeup alarm that is similar to GentleAlarm on android?

I like Touch LCD - Designer Speaking Clock, but like all alarm apps, it requires the app to be running when you go to bed. It can't run in the background.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sleep Cycle.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Is this it? https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sleep-cycle-alarm-clock/id320606217?mt=8

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

That's the one. It has some of the best wakeup tones.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I think I tried that one but went back to Smart Alarm Clock. Which now is christmas themed even in the app title https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/smart-alarm-clock-christmas/id359431485?mt=8

Theres a free version, I don't know the difference. It can record sleep disturbances too so I have a few times listened back and heard myself mumbling in my sleep which is creepy to hear.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

bazaar apparatus posted:

That's the one. It has some of the best wakeup tones.

I actually took apart that app and extracted one of the soothing wake up tones and made it a ringtone on my phone for the express purpose of USO f it with my iPhone's default alarm clock and its been my only alarm tone for... YEARS now! :)

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I would love one of those "Smart" alarm clocks to wake me up at a good time, but I really don't want to give up the soothing tones of Uniqlo Wake Up's voice telling me the time and the weather first thing in the morning.

Do any of the sleep cycle apps have a nice voice that can read out time and weather on wake-up?

Also, do most people leave their phone plugged in and move the phone underneath the bedding, or how exactly is the best way to put it? I'd want to keep my phone charging overnight, but would they be sensitive enough to be placed in one corner of a double bed even if I happen to have moved onto the other side in my sleep?

edit: So long as I'm asking questions, how well do they work in Do Not Disturb mode?

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Dec 21, 2012

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Question Mark Mound posted:

I would love one of those "Smart" alarm clocks to wake me up at a good time, but I really don't want to give up the soothing tones of Uniqlo Wake Up's voice telling me the time and the weather first thing in the morning.

I've owned sleep cycle since it was released back on the OG iPhone and I haven't used it since Uniqlo. It's so lovely to wake up to.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

jojoinnit posted:

I've owned sleep cycle since it was released back on the OG iPhone and I haven't used it since Uniqlo. It's so lovely to wake up to.
Well that sounds promising! I'm gonna try that free version of Smart Alarm Clock over the Christmas holidays to see if that kind of thing makes me sleep any better and if it's good, I'll go with Sleep Cycle.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is there a good alternative for Reeder? I don't like that its not universal.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

jojoinnit posted:

I watch this for an hour every few months. So cool. http://www.uniqlo.com/calendar/

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Is there a good alternative for Reeder? I don't like that its not universal.

I use Reeder for iPhone and Mr Reader for iPad, a tad costly but a great setup.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I use Reeder for iPhone and Mr Reader for iPad, a tad costly but a great setup.

Yeah, I used to use that combo (imho the best) until I checked Flipboard and haven't used RSS since then.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Billa posted:

Yeah, I used to use that combo (imho the best) until I checked Flipboard and haven't used RSS since then.

Using it less and less. Just to check in with B3ta, Longform and now Unretrofied. I might just try and add those to Flipboard though. It's a fantastic app.

I'd be interested to know how Flipboard makes money if anyone knows. I originally assumed it was those ads but they don't seem to appear on the Twitter section so I'm thinking maybe they're set by publisher.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Is there an app to control an iPad with an iPhone or vice versa? My dad has his phone plugged into his receiver so he can play Pandora or his iTunes Match. Is there a way to control it using the iPad from a distance?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

KingKapalone posted:

Is there an app to control an iPad with an iPhone or vice versa? My dad has his phone plugged into his receiver so he can play Pandora or his iTunes Match. Is there a way to control it using the iPad from a distance?
Tango Remote Control will work with media that uses the stock media players, but I don't know about Pandora.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

hypersleep posted:

Apple is requiring all video apps to remove AC3 support due to patent issues.

Just noticed that AVplayer still lists support. Seems it (and the HD version) has been pulled from the store completely though.

The non-HD version seems to have an update for iPhone5 today.

Not much help if you don't already have these apps...

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Just noticed that AVplayer still lists support. Seems it (and the HD version) has been pulled from the store completely though.

The non-HD version seems to have an update for iPhone5 today.

Not much help if you don't already have these apps...

It's currently up on the Japanese App Store; maybe it's rolling back out today in each region.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!
I'm looking to get my hands on one of the podcast apps - it seems like Downcast and Instacast are the top two? Given that Downcast is about half the price and doesn't seem to be any worse, I was probably going to go for that - are there any decisive features that make Instacast the better client?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
It's a lot more attractive and the syncing works better IMO. A nice middle ground is Pocket Casts but there's no universal version if that matters to you. I swap around every few months when a new update grabs me and I'm using Instacast at the moment. It's great.

Mr Pepper
Nov 29, 2006

:jiggled:Top Class:jiggled:

Allan Assiduity posted:

I'm looking to get my hands on one of the podcast apps - it seems like Downcast and Instacast are the top two? Given that Downcast is about half the price and doesn't seem to be any worse, I was probably going to go for that - are there any decisive features that make Instacast the better client?

Downcast is my favorite of the three. Plus you don't have to rebuy it like you have to with instacast when they come out with new features.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
+1 for downcast. I love it and am fully satisfied with it.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

-Dethstryk- posted:

ESPN's ScoreCenter app just got a slick new update. I dig it.

It looks pretty, but it's unabashedly terrible to use. Everything's incredibly slow to load, and I'm on FIOS wifi right now.

Between the title bar, bottom tab bar, giant scoreboard, and advertisement, there's less than 1/4 of the screen to look over scoring summaries and whatnot. Everything else still loads in a web view rather than the native app.

They added more sports, but they don't even have scores for the first one I tried (NCAA Hockey). It just says here's the two teams that played, and the game's over. And it takes about a minute to even do that. Forget looking at division standings, rosters, logos for all the schools, or any fancy features.

Oh, and if you want to change your preferences about favorite sports or favorite team, you better sign up for an ESPN account.

I do not dig this update.

Anyone have another scores app to recommend?

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

PFlats posted:

Anyone have another scores app to recommend?

I've always used Yahoo Sportacular, it's pretty solid.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Are there any decent remote file management apps out there? I'd like to be able to rename/move files between folders and drives on my SMB/SFTP media server.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Can someone explain the new Facebook Poke app to me?

quote:

With the Poke app, you can poke or send a message, photo, or video to Facebook friends to share what you're up to in a lightweight way. You can poke an individual friend or several at once. Each message expires after a specific time you've set, either 1, 3, 5 or 10 seconds. When time runs out, the message disappears from the app.

So I send a message to a friend and it's deleted in 10 seconds maximum, before they even have a chance to pull their phone out of their pockets and open the Poke app to read? What the hell is the point of this?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd guess it's for people who always have their phone glued to their nose, texting away.

I see kids walking the sidewalk and never once looking away from their phone all the time. I'm sure those types will think it's awesome.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem

Boris Galerkin posted:

So I send a message to a friend and it's deleted in 10 seconds maximum, before they even have a chance to pull their phone out of their pockets and open the Poke app to read? What the hell is the point of this?

It doesn't start counting until you open the message, I'm pretty sure. It's pretty much just Snapchat but Facebook.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Boris Galerkin posted:

It's for sexting.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh weird. My boss was just telling me about some app that is just like this that his daughter at college uses. I forget the name of that app, but it was the same thing. You send them a picture/video message, and that person only has 10 seconds to view it too. It even warns you if the person takes a screen shot.

Whatever it was, it's entirely so that you can send someone naked pictures, I'm sure of it. I didn't tell my boss the theory on this one.

And Facebook ripped it off I see.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

Mr Pepper posted:

Downcast is my favorite of the three. Plus you don't have to rebuy it like you have to with instacast when they come out with new features.

You don't have to do this with Instacast either, each version has gone through several free updates before a new one released. Not that anybody's forcing you to buy the new versions anyway.

What do you want the developer to do, keep writing code for eternity while people never pay beyond the first download, which is only a measly few bucks to begin with?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

IUG posted:

Oh weird. My boss was just telling me about some app that is just like this that his daughter at college uses. I forget the name of that app, but it was the same thing. You send them a picture/video message, and that person only has 10 seconds to view it too. It even warns you if the person takes a screen shot.

Whatever it was, it's entirely so that you can send someone naked pictures, I'm sure of it. I didn't tell my boss the theory on this one.

And Facebook ripped it off I see.

It's snapchat. Read the App Store reviews, it's a bunch of guys looking to send dick pics to teen girls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caboodle
Oct 28, 2009

Allan Assiduity posted:

Instacast is best for audio podcasts. Its universal and syncs instantly from ios device to ios device.
I frequently start listening to something on my iPad while getting ready in the morning and then continue listening from the same spot when I head out the door with my iPhone. Beautiful convenience.

• Locked thread