Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Is there a cheap/free calculator app that keeps lines of calculation history like a graphing calculator? And preferably starts up quickly. I don't really care either way about other fancy calculation features since I can do calculus and things on wolfram alpha.

Calcbot is probably what you're looking for (look at screenshot 3 for reference).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.
Some apps I like but didn't see in the OP (including a few plugs for my own site, hope no one minds):

Twitterrific 5 - Latest edition of the popular Twitter client that invented the idea of posts being called 'tweets' and I think they also were the first to use bird imagery in their icon. Anyway, this is the only client around right now that has me thinking about switching away from Tweetbot.

Drafts - Great app for quickly jotting down ideas in text form, and can be sent to any number of places like Evernote, Twitter, Dropbox, other text editor apps, Reminders, Clear, Fantastical, and a bunch more I'm forgetting. My review.

Clear - Awesome to-do list app. There are no buttons on-screen, everything is controlled by gestures, and it's very pretty.

Instacast - My favorite podcast manager, and I've tried them all, including Downcast and Pocket Casts.

Instapaper - I would find it hard to believe if anybody around here hasn't heard of Instapaper, but just in case, it's a service that allows you to save articles offline for reading later. It reformats them as well, making the reading experience so much better than if you were just viewing the article on its original website.

Hueless - Superb photography app that lets you shoot in monochrome. It's not just applying a black-and-white filter, it's the real deal. I wrote up a review with a bunch of example photos a while back.

Flickr - The latest update to this app is really nice. They took on some Instagram-like features (including optional filters) but it's still very much Flickr's thing and I like it a lot.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Tried it out when it relaunched and I really like it. Streaming, Push and Trends are needed before I consider using it as my daily driver though.

Thanks for recommending this. Your taste and blog are once again fantastic.

From what I've heard, the developers specifically left out options like these because they intended it to be more of a casual Twitter experience rather than one for Power Users™. They were trying to make a statement that software should be opinionated, not just a list of all the same features as [x app]. I kinda like them for that.

But thank you for the compliment on my blog. I've been working hard on it :)

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

Is the new version of this worth purchasing? I was really bothered to see that the new version is a new $5 app. Somehow, I doubt that the new version will have better performance on my aging iPhone 4 :I

They also took the old version off the app store, so to redownload it I have to hunt through my ridiculously long "Purchased" list :argh:

I bought the new one just because I love the app so much and wanted to support the developer, but I wouldn't say that it has any killer new features that Instacast 2 didn't have, other than now being a universal app rather than being split into two separate ones.

That said, they did rebuild the entire thing from the ground up and it takes advantage of some new technologies behind the scenes. One nice new feature is a built-in syncing solution, rather than relying on iCloud, which I always found pretty undependable with Instacast 2.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

timb posted:

I was reading your Drafts review then started to skim your blog. You've got a lot of really good stuff up there and I really like your style. Keep it up man, you could be the next Gruber (without the smugness and dicknose).

A commendation from timb? Validation! :unsmith:

But really though, thank you for that.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

I just wrote entirely too many words about Twitterrific 5 but maybe it'll be helpful to anyone still on the fence.

The tl;dr version is that I wouldn't really recommend it to power users, and it has a couple odd issues that may require updates to fix, but it's still really good and now resides on my dock where Tweetbot used to live.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

tofes posted:

Why do you like it better than Tweetbot?

Something about Tweetbot makes me want to check it all the time, but with Twitterrific I don't feel the need to check it more than a few times a day. I've been looking for something new to try anyway, because I've been using both Tweetbot and Netbot since I joined App.net recently, and sometimes I forget which app I'm even using.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Shapur posted:

Nice post, thanks for the suggestion! I was set on TweetBot for quite some time but this simplified interface is starting to grow on me... Only complaint is that I can't seem to find what's trending.

Thanks! I never check what's trending myself, and that's just one more reason why switching away from Tweetbot has been painless. The nice thing is that I can always keep Tweetbot around (probably tucked away in a folder) for the rare occasion I need to do power user stuff.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Ender.uNF posted:

It bears repeating: don't get attached to third-party twitter clients. Twitter is attempting to slowly put them out of business. Several developers have hit the new user caps and found out that by "talk to us if you hit the cap (maybe we can work something out)" twitter meant "go gently caress yourself".

Twitter is profitable but in order to IPO and make a gajillion dollars for the venture capital firm that funded them, they need to be insanely profitable. That means more ads, user tracking, etc. That means tightly controlling the client experience.

This is all very true, sadly. I wouldn't even mind all that much, except that Twitter's own clients are pretty terrible compared to their 3rd-party counterparts.

Thankfully, I've got an App.net account I can switch over to entirely if Twitter cuts all 3rd-party support.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Billa posted:

I just read the wikipedia article about IFTTT but I still don't understand the whole thing, can anyone please explain what is?

Essentially, IFTTT is tied into the APIs of about 60 websites and apps, which they refer to as 'channels'. Evernote is a channel, Dropbox is a channel, Twitter is a channel, RSS is a channel, etc.

Each channel has its own set of triggers and actions. An example trigger for RSS would be, "An article has been posted to [x]'s RSS feed." IFTTT can take this trigger and perform an action on another channel, such as Twitter. This whole process is called a 'recipe'; it's always comprised of one trigger channel and one action channel.

Here are some of my own recipes, just to give you an idea:
  • Whenever I post a new article to my blog, IFTTT automatically tweets that article from a dedicated Twitter account I've set up.
  • Whenever I post a photo on Instagram, IFTTT automatically saves it to a folder in Dropbox.
  • If I mark a Youtube or Vimeo video as "Watch Later", IFTTT saves it to my Instapaper account.

This is nowhere near the number of things you can do with it. Some people have IFTTT text them the weather each morning. Some people download all their Gmail attachments directly to Dropbox. Some people make it so that when they change their Facebook profile photo, it changes their Twitter photo as well. Some people schedule a text message to be sent to them while they're in a meeting so they have an excuse to leave.

The number of possibilities is crazy. Here are some of their most popular recipes if you need more ideas. The nice thing is that it's easy to directly add them to your own recipe list.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

Werdsmith's update finally came out, and the feature that I paid premium for a few months ago is now a subscription-only feature, so gently caress that.
Can anyone recommend an iOS Universal app that lets me offline-sync text notes (drawings not important, colouring in certain words would be nice but optional) without needing a subscription?

Being able to sync with Dropbox would be ideal so I can keep working on files on my PC.

Pages would have been perfect with the iCloud syncing, but since it's creating proper documents as opposed to simple text files, the word wrap obviously doesn't adapt depending on what device I'm reading things on, which makes stuff tricky to read between my iPhone and iPad.

The offline syncing is the main feature as I'm outside of a decent signal a lot of the time, so being able to update my iPhone/iPad to the latest version of each file before I leave the house is very handy.

edit: Elements looks pretty good, any goon got it and could comment?

Elements is quite good. My main text editor for iOS is actually Byword, but if you're looking for offline support it probably doesn't get much better than Elements. It's my 2nd favorite.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Thirst Mutilator posted:

I was thinking about getting around to writing up a quick guide to IFTTT but I think I'm just gonna use this in the OP, if you don't mind.

I don't mind at all :)

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

That's the one. It has some of the best wakeup tones.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Mr Pepper posted:

Downcast is my favorite of the three. Plus you don't have to rebuy it like you have to with instacast when they come out with new features.

You don't have to do this with Instacast either, each version has gone through several free updates before a new one released. Not that anybody's forcing you to buy the new versions anyway.

What do you want the developer to do, keep writing code for eternity while people never pay beyond the first download, which is only a measly few bucks to begin with?

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

No idea if this has been talked about in the thread yet, but if any of you are the type to write a journal you should check out DayOne (shameless plug for my review). It's really good, I wasn't even the journaling type until I tried it out.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

bobfather posted:

Instacast has one feature Downcast doesn't have - they charge people for major version upgrades!

No software company in history has ever done that!

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Billa posted:

What is the current best app to stream video (mkv, avi, etc) from an external computer with an hd to the iPad? Right now I'm using AirVideo because Plex refuses to work due to an unknown problem.

I may be incorrect but I always figured AirVideo was considered the best. Is there anything wrong with your current setup?

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

PaganGoatPants posted:

Looks pretty sexy. Only 400k people ahead of me. I wonder how they'll make money. They seem to have the word of mouth on full blast.

Supposedly the base app will stay free and somewhere down the line the devs plan to introduce 'freemium' features that they haven't revealed yet.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

obi_ant posted:

Has anyone played with the Sleep Cycle app? I don't really trust the reviews in the store.

I've been using it for the last month and I like it.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

kloa posted:

Is there an RSS app that will sync with Google, have a list style, and open the actual article upon tapping it?

I like Feedly but I want to go to the article straight from list view. I dislike tapping an article just to get a paragraph intro to the article and having to open it again.

I guess you're subscribed to a number of truncated RSS feeds? That might be the real issue here.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

uh zip zoom posted:

I'm looking for an app that will let me read wikis that aren't Wikipedia. Anything good?

I'm late on this, but I'm a fan of Articles. The universal version is $5, but if you just want the iPhone version, it's only $3. It's been my favorite Wiki app for years and well worth the measly few bucks.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

petewhitley posted:

I had this a year or two ago and it crashed constantly over multiple releases on a current-gen iPhone. Is it stable now?

It never crashes on me.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Silvio Rizzi, the developer of Reeder, just tweeted that the Mac and iPad clients are currently free and will stay that way until he releases v2.0.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Bucket Joneses posted:

That actually makes a ton of sense given how the crux of his business (Google Reader) is going away in a few months. At least this way people can still check out the application and get a sense for the kind of work he does.

Well, he's going to build in support for other platforms like Fever (which the iPhone client already has) and Feedbin, so it's not like he's running a doomed business or anything. Google Reader was but one way to use Reeder.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Anyone know of a good iPad app for keeping a journal? Being able to edit/add entries from a Windows desktop would be a great bonus too. I'm currently using LiveJournal, but I'd rather use something designed with the technological advances of this decade in mind.

It's not Windows-compatible, but you could try Day One. I did a review of it a few months ago, and it's still my favorite journaling app, by far. Works on iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Are there any podcasts apps that would let me download mp3s into it that don't have their own RSS feed? A couple of the 'casts I listen to have bonus episodes that don't have their own RSS feeds, they're just posted to their website.

For stuff like this (or for podcasts I'd like to hear an episode of without having to subscribe in Instacast), I have a folder in Instapaper called "Listen Later" which is full of standalone podcast episodes I come across. Since each folder comes with its own bookmarklet, I just click "Listen Later" on my bookmark bar, then I can listen to it in Instapaper whenever I want :)

Also works well for any music I'd like to check out sometime.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Those guys need an English copywriter.

"create your iPhone space free"

"make your iPhone running faster"

"As we attached great importance to the safety of your personal info"

"bring up more free space to you"

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Any kind of spreadsheet management on iOS is a pain in the rear end. Using forms on Numbers is the closet to not terrible but that always ends up eating up most/all if my formatting when I export back to Excel.

There's an iPad app called Permanant that's supposed to be excellent for working with spreadsheets. I've not tried it myself though.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Biodome posted:

Is there a consensus best RSS reader app for the iPhone? I checked the OP but didn't see any. It has to sync with google reader.

Reeder.

It works with Google Reader, and even when that dies, it won't matter because it syncs with Fever and Feedbin, plus it now works as a standalone reader.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

PaganGoatPants posted:

I paid for "Check the Weather" way back when...which is now powered by forecast.io (which is free)

:smithicide:

So? It's like two bucks or something.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Fillerbunny posted:

I have the old 1Password app, and I bought it recently enough that it really pisses me off that I have to pay for this upgrade. I want the new features, but I just spent the money on the whole suite not too long ago. It's really irritating. :argh:

To be fair, the current iOS app has been out for nearly 6 months. If you bought it before then, you've probably already got your money's worth out of it.

Now, if you bought 1Password v3 after Nov 15th 2012, and you can email them your receipt proving it, I think they'll refund you. They talk about it a little ways down on this page.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Unacknowledged posted:

I'm looking for a quick way to get URLs to my iOS clipboard from another device. Simplest way is to email it and copy it, but having something more automated would be awesome. I tried setting up some IFTTTT actions that would take a URL from Pocket, and text it to me. Doing that sends a bit.ly URL, which kinda sucks. I also tried an Evernote append recipe which just doesn't work, so I've set it up wrong.

Ideally I could just use some kind of extension or bookmarklet that would go somewhere that I could easily get to on my phone, mainly just to message to others. I don't have a mac running 10.8, so I can't do iMessage directly, otherwise that would be a nice way to handle it for my contacts with iPhones.

If you have a Mac at all (10.8 or not), maybe try Pastebot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

The guys at Coffitivity (the service that lets you listen to ambient audio recordings of coffee shops) have released an iOS app, which I just posted about here.

• Locked thread