Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Weather

Dark Sky - Amazing weather app that will send you a push notification a few minutes before it starts raining in your exact location. It's actually really accurate; I don't think it's ever missed for me.

Partly Cloudy - Really unique forecast app that displays temperature and precipitation forecasts by rotating a dial.

RadarScope - This is the de facto weather radar app. Easy to use, full featured and fast.

Social

Avocado - This is like Facebook for you and YOUR GIRLFRIEND. Share pictures, texts, lists, appointments and even hugs and kisses with your SO in this slick little app.

Tapatalk - Forum browser that supports a ton of phpBB and vBulletin based sites.

Misc.

iStat - New version 2.0! Remote monitoring app for Linux, Mac and Windows based systems. Just install the daemon and connect with the iStat app to see a whole host of real time stats and graphs. Also shows iPhone stats including memory, CPU, network and storage.

Scanner Pro - The best non-OCR scanner app on the store. Fast, full featured and flexible! DropBox, Google Drive, Evernote and WebDav support along with a built in web server and iCloud syncing. You can also IAP faxing, which is a bit on the expensive side but not bad if you rarely fax things. (It's saved my rear end a few times when I was out and absolutely HAD to fax a contract right the gently caress now.)

iTeleport - Hands down the best VNC/RDP app out there.

Camera+ - Tons of camera enhancements in this app. Separate focal and exposure points, always on lighting option, gyroscope based leveling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I used to use Camera+ exclusively for all my iPhone picture taking needs until I got Snapseed on sale one day.

I haven't used Camera+ since.

Snapseed and Camera+ are completely different types of applications though.

Camera+ is great for actually taking pictures. It allows you to set separate exposure and focus points quickly and easily, it has a bar in the center that tilts via the gyroscope to let you know when you're level, it's also got a flash function that keeps the LED on constantly providing constant foreground illumination. In addition to all this it does have post processing tools, but they're nowhere near as good as Snapseed.

I shoot in Camera+ and edit in Snapseed or iPhoto.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

I was reading your Drafts review then started to skim your blog. You've got a lot of really good stuff up there and I really like your style. Keep it up man, you could be the next Gruber (without the smugness and dicknose).

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

DJ ChemE posted:

What does it do?

It better make me loving Gordon Ramsey approved scrambled eggs at $50 is what it better do.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
I just picked up one of those blink(1) USB RGB LEDs to use with Boxcar and IFTTT. Anyone else using one? They look really neat.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Billa posted:

I just read the wikipedia article about IFTTT but I still don't understand the whole thing, can anyone please explain what is?

Another great example is that blink(1) device I posted earlier. Essentially it's a little tiny device that just fits into your USB port. It's got a red, green and blue LED on it (which allows you to generate any color in the spectrum). You can set IFFT (or Boxcar) to change the color of the LED based on an event. That could be if you get a new tweet, an email, a specific email. You could have it turn yellow and flash when there's a thunderstorm warning. You could have it flash blue when it's below freezing outside. Slowly pulse green when a new Gmail arrives.

I'm setting mine up to flash a color when a new order arrives on my store, another color when a customer submits a ticket, etc.

There's almost no end to what you can do with IFTTT.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Sieg posted:

So how does this work? Pull out your phone, open app, see when the best time to go to the bathroom is, put phone away, crawl over everyone to go to the bathroom, come back, and then disrupt everyone again by pulling out your phone to see what you missed.

If you do this, I hate you.

You open the app before the movie starts and it will vibrate when it's safe to take a pee break. You check the phone on the way in/out of the bathroom to see what you're missing.

Also, it is possible to look at your phone during a movie and not disturb everyone. Just put it way down low.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

jimmydean posted:

What should I use for PowerPoint?

Keynote

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

DOOP posted:

I was browsing the app store and saw the "Awful" app as mentioned in the OP and the "Awful S II MAXX" app. What are the differences/which is better?

Get Awful, it's the latest greatest.

The original Awful.app was done by OHIO. He got busy with RL stuff and some dude from YOSPOS took the code and fixed some stuff, plus enabled iPad support. He updated it for the i5 and now it's deprecated.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

AggroJagg posted:

I've googled around and not been able to find a straight answer. I got an ipad for Xmas and downloaded paper. I bought the additional tools, I have not yet seen the charge for that leave my bank account.

Are charges taken immediately? Or are they held over for an accounting period or something?

I've tried following the view billing history links in the apple KB articles but get a warning ''cannot connect to iTunes store' which is odd as I can access the iTunes app and the App Store app, but neither of those show actual billing entries.

Am I jumping the gun? Are apple's billing servers having a weird moment due to to much eggnog?

It can take up to a week (or more!) in some cases to see the charges show up. It depends on the size and number of apps/content you purchase. There seems to be a sliding threshold. Generally, I get a billing email every 3 to 5 days.

Whereas, if I purchase a show from my AppleTV, it gets billed right away.

So, it depends on what you're buying, how much it costs and your credit and account status.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Pertplus posted:

Is there an app for iPhones similar to Zipwhip (for android phones) which lets you send & receive texts through you cell number from your computer? I know about messages, but that only works if other people are registered with messages.

Not unless you jailbreak.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I use one of the ones recommended in the OP that utilizes Dark Sky, what does this one offer me that is better?

The Weather Underground is a general, full featured weather app with forecasts, radar, warnings and all that jazz. Dark Sky is specifically for alerting you just before it starts to rain.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
App Review: 645 PRO

Alright, I want to bring up camera apps again. I've been taking all the product pictures for my store with my iPhone 5. I have a $1000 DSLR setup, which would be great, except I don't have a macro lens for it and need to take fairly close up shots of small parts. Because the iPhone 5 does macro so well, I've been shooting with a small tripod, the Glif tripod adapter, Camera+ and a couple of desk lamps. The pictures have been coming out great, for the most part. The only issue was JPEG compression artifacts at high zoom levels while developing the pictures in Aperture and Pixelmator.

A few days back I found a little app called 645 PRO. This thing has all the features you'd expect from a high-end camera app: Gyroscope Level; Focus, WB and Exposure Lock; Timer; 1 Second Shutter Speed; 7 Frame Formats, 3 B&W Films, 3 Color Films, 4 Fully Adjustable Color Filters; Live Image Preview; Upload to Social Media Sites & Flickr.

It's also got a couple other amazing tricks up it's sleeve. The first is the ability to save JPEGs at MAX quality setting, which is lossless. That right there would have won me over, but there's more! It has the ability to output what the developer calls dRAW files. That D stands for Developed. Don't get too excited, the name is slightly misleading. It's not actually raw sensor data, instead it's the image data after being de-mosiaced and having the white balance, exposure and other settings applied. The image data is saved into a +TIFF file at this point and either stored in the app's Documents folder or sent to the system Camera Roll.

To understand this better, here's a few handy charts!

When you shoot with a DSLR, two things happen. First, the sensor data and settings (white balance, exposure, time & date, etc.) are saved straight to a file. This is a RAW image that will need to be "developed" in software. (Most cameras will also have an option to save a JPEG version of the image in addition to the RAW file.)

Now, on nearly all Point & Shoot and Smartphone cameras, you've got no option to get that RAW sensor data. The camera itself will process the image, apply white balance, exposure, etc., embed all the meta data, compress the image as a JPEG and save it.

So now you've got a compressed file. Remember, each time something is (lossy) compressed, a bit of the original is destroyed. When you snap a photo with your iPhone and use Snapseed or Camera+ to edit it, you're having to re-compress that file. When you edit it in iPhoto or Pixelmator on your computer and save it as a JPEG, it's being re-compressed.

This generally doesn't hurt the image quality that much, as modern digital cameras have so much resolution, you can afford to lose a little quality in the editing process. But what if you're trying to capture very fine details? What if you're going to make a large print of it? This is where 645 PRO is awesome...

It gives you the option of grabbing a not-quite-RAW-but-still-lossless image at two difference stages of the capture process.

(Lossless) MAX JPEG: These images go through normal pre-processing, tagging, adjusting and processing just like any other JPEG file, only there's no compression. You're still going to lose some quality this way since the file has had corrections automatically applied during the processing phase. You'll likely see (and have a hard time fixing) blown out highlights and overly dark shadows.

dRAW+TIFF: This is what you're really after if you want quality. These images have been pre-processed by the camera, but that's it. You're free to (easily) fix exposure, highlights, shadows and color balance. The output is an 8-Bit TIFF file that's had lossless LZW compression applied.

Now, here's the beautiful part for me. You can chose to have the files saved in-app and retrieve them through iTunes file sharing pane (or iExplorer) or they can go straight into the camera roll when shooting. The TIFF files that end up in your camera roll? Yeah, PhotoStream will sync those to your desktop unchanged.

I can't tell you how awesome it is to be able to shoot a few dozen high quality, uncompressed images with my phone and then walk over to my computer and have them magically be in Aperture waiting for me, ready to edit.

The developer seems to regularly update the app and incorporates much of the feedback he receives.

The only negative point I can think of is the interface. They're trying to make it look like an actual camera, which ends up feeling cluttered and confusing. It could really do with an interface lift and the ability to have normal menus slide-in from off screen. Considering the other features, this is only a small nit to pick and I can certainly live with it.

645 PRO is a downright steal at $2.99, so there's really no reason not to pick it up if you're serious about taking pictures with your phone. Be sure to give the manual a read to learn how to use all the bells and whistles.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

PFlats posted:

The iphone has pretty badass optics for such a small device, and the fact that you can immediately share your photos is awesome. But obsessing over how much preprocessing your images have seems to defeat the purpose to me. If I have to sync my photos to the desktop and manipulate them there, then why did I shoot on my iphone?

The best camera is the one that's with you, but if you know in advance that you're going to be shooting a lot of stuff (especially for your business) carry a better camera than the one on your phone.

The best camera *is* the one that's with you, so why wouldn't I want to make it better? Say I'm out and see an awesome sunset or come across a scene that would make an amazing picture. In these situations you're not going to be in control of lighting and other factors. If I take that picture in a lossless non-processed format then I have more control of fixing it later, either in Snapseed or on my computer. If I just want to take a quick shot of the dogs or whatever I'm obviously just going to use Camera+ or the built-in app.

As for why I'm using it to take product photos for my business? I went over that. The iPhone has a much, much closer focus distance than my DSLR. While a new macro lens would be awesome, I don't have a few hundred clams to shell out for it right now. I already have the iPhone and the tripod mount only cost me $10. The app was $3.

I just don't understand why you wouldn't want *more* options.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Have any pictures to show?

Yeah, I'll get some together in the morning and post them.

xzzy posted:

None of that changes that the iphone basically requires full daylight and motionless subjects to get a decent image. :colbert:

Focusing on moving people is hilariously poor.

Actually, the iPhone 5 does really amazing in low-light. I've pulled off some really great shots with no flash and only a full moon for illumination. Getting an app like NightCap helps a ton as well. The 5 is also a poo poo ton better with motion. It has a much higher ISO than older ones.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

beefnoodle posted:

Macworld reported it as Amazon's fault.

They did. Basically, Amazon said "we've changed the rules regarding access to our APIs" and Wil Shipley literally said, "Welp, that's it! I'm pulling the plug."

The guy spent months perfecting Delicious Library for the iPhone and just scrapped it without so much as an email to Amazon. I know for a fact that several other apps that used the Amazon API during that time were temporarily pulled only to come back a month or two later once they'd worked out an access agreement with Amazon.

Shipley is a very eccentric guy.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Honestly, it works as well as any GPS for me. You really need to learn how to navigate the last mile yourself if you want accurate results. Also, make sure you know where you're going ahead of time. I always look up and double check the address with Google. If it's off I'll enter the actual address into Apple Maps.

There's this one doctor's office I go to that Apple's Maps thinks is a mile down the road on the left from where it actually is. Google Maps just makes you do an endless loop of U-turns in the 1/4 stretch of where it is. By knowing the address of the building, I can actually look at the building numbers to find it.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Zigmidge posted:

No decent standalone GPS system asks you to do this.

The POI system in most stand alone GPS units are limited and have questionable accuracy. So in most cases you have to know and manually enter your address anyway. Every GPS I've ever used has been fairly inaccurate on the last mile as well; telling me the target is further down the street or on the opposite side of the road from where it really is.

You need to be observant as you approach your final destination, look for house/building numbers and your address to determine if it's going to be on the left or right side of the road. This will make any GPS experience a lot more accurate.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

El Hefe posted:

I don't know what kind of lovely GPS are you using but I have an old Garmin unit and its been accurate 100% of the times I've used it.

A few different Garmin models. All of them had problems figuring out which side of the street some addresses were on. Keep in mind, I'm not saying it was a constant problem. I'd say it's generally only an issue about 25% of the time.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Billa posted:

I have an honest question which should be posted in a thread that include the ipad + iPhone + apps or something.

So the question is: What makes Apple (or anyone) think and say that iOS 6 is the most advanced mobile operative sistem?

YOSPOS most likely has the best answer to this question. You should make a thread there. :)

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Well I played around with shared streams and each stream has a 1000 photo limit but aside from that there doesn't appear to be a limit as to how many shared streams you can make.

Don't the photos still count against your iCloud storage limit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
You can also open your iCloud storage folder under OS X (and maybe Windows) to directly store whatever you want.

• Locked thread