Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I've been interested in starting to use one of these services. Do you have to pay a fee to start using this before the app? Then do you have to buy the app for each computer you use too (or at least a Mac license and a PC license)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Diabolik900 posted:

There's no overall fee to use the service, but you will have to pay for licenses to use each version (iOS, Mac, PC). It's not cheap but it's been worth every penny I've spent so far.

I can't find it on their site, but is the Windows/Mac key good for one computer each? I have a Mac Laptop, and a Windows 7 computer at home and a Windows 7 computer at work. I would love to use this, but if that means 3 keys instead of 2, I might have to shy away.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Sounds good, thanks for all the advice everyone. They're more clear on this working for multiple Macs since it's through the iTunes store, but wanted to make sure. I figure with a dual OS license and the iPhone app, I should be fully covered. Might as well not half-rear end it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

BrainDance posted:

This is a huge issue with the facebook app for me, I like what they've done overall but it's so buggy.

Starting a couple versions ago the app started crashing every 5 minutes on my iPad 2. Lots of other people are having the same problem.

Then I upgraded to the latest version and... It crashes every 5-30 seconds.... Great.

I haven't had the app crash, but it's one of the only apps that doesn't let you turn the screen to portrait to type. I thought those apps died out years ago. Hell, I think they had portrait type in previous version, no idea why it went missing in recent version of the Facebook app.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Can someone explain the new Facebook Poke app to me?

So I send a message to a friend and it's deleted in 10 seconds maximum, before they even have a chance to pull their phone out of their pockets and open the Poke app to read? What the hell is the point of this?

Oh weird. My boss was just telling me about some app that is just like this that his daughter at college uses. I forget the name of that app, but it was the same thing. You send them a picture/video message, and that person only has 10 seconds to view it too. It even warns you if the person takes a screen shot.

Whatever it was, it's entirely so that you can send someone naked pictures, I'm sure of it. I didn't tell my boss the theory on this one.

And Facebook ripped it off I see.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

El Hefe posted:

There are also a lot of unregistered people who take those codes I bet.

Someone figured out if you place your codes in a broken URL tag, then only people who can quote you can see the code. Something like this (quote to see, duh):

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Hey, are there any apps you guys would recommend to make custom ringtones out of songs from my library?

Are you against using your computer for it? Because I just manipulate my songs in Audacity before exporting them into iTunes, having iTunes convert them to m4a files (or maybe I have Audacity skip this step), rename the file to a .m4r file, and then import it back into iTunes again.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I took MHX6TH47TYJA, thanks. Too bad I live in CT and probably gently caress-all has happened, so I'll have to visit NYC or Boston before I can use it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

And I'm totally biased towards iTunes myself, so I have to ask why you don't use iTunes and make playlists with folders of playlists? You can even do subfolders, and then browse the folders in the stock Music app.

I'm just wondering what your folders are, and since I've been using iTunes since like version 1.0 I could probably think of ways to use playlists and smart playlists to recreate what you are doing. Or, like randyest said, if you're trying to keep track of your mp3s on your computer, it can also be done in iTunes without having it sort your files, but who really, really needs to know where a mp3 file is when they're playing it?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Tensokuu posted:

I swear someone posted it before but now I can't find it -- suggestions for a good Flashlight app without a bunch of ads all over the screen?

I use "Flashlight" from "Apps from Outer Space". Been using it since I first got the phone, and it keeps updating and never gives me an ad.

EDIT: Except for now when I checked their privacy policy page in the settings. But that's the first time (also the first time I knew they had a privacy policy).
EDIT 2: The privacy policy seems to be a generic one for their other apps, since it says it only collects personal information if you want to submit something to their "leaderboards".

IUG fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 8, 2013

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Couldn't you use a Google Talk account and some app to text for free? I remember doing it a while ago, but that was about a year ago, and I don't tend to use that phone number anymore.

EDIT: Some of my texts from back then were to friends with Android/a disposable phone, so they didn't have the app either.

IUG fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 9, 2013

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Bucket Joneses posted:

FYI: There is an official XBMC app in the app store now. It's way faster than XBMC Commander or Constellation as far as my experience goes. It's also FREE.

Do you mean having the full XBMC or a XBMC remote? Because the remote app has been out forever, but I would love to run XBMC on my iPhone without jailbreaking my phone.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Bucket Joneses posted:

Sorry, here's the link!

Sorry, I meant remote. And an officially released remote hasn't been in the store until very recently. Here is the wiki.

I've had that very program for months now, at least two. I've even been getting updates for it from the App store application on my phone. I'm not sure how it's "new" now.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If you have Platinum you can add the picture to the post as an attachment. You have to be a registered user to see them.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Hell, today I couldn't even get the website to load on my work computer. I would just get their title bar and the prompt to post. No news feed or ticker. And with the iOS app I would sometimes check my news feed and see only stuff from a few days ago. Facebook doesn't have their poo poo together at all, so I'm so glad Apple said no to the Home BS that's on Android now.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Right now, I can't even access my news feed, the tracker, or even post an update (which I could before). I can't even load my PMs or my notifications from the website itself, but it knows I have them. This has been going on for about 4 hours now, since I got to work. But I can see this from my iOS app, including the bubble of the PM. They're botching up a lot of stuff lately, and the ads are really invasive.

EDIT: Actually, the bubble's alright. It takes you right to the chat without interrupting what you were looking at in the app. I'd wish I could type my replies with a drat sideways keyboard though.

IUG fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 17, 2013

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I just rolled back the Facebook app from 6.0.1 to 6.0 because I think all they changed in .1 was to prevent you from hiding the ads they may have accidentally enabled in 6.0. Is there a way to have the App Store app ignore an update? I'm likely going to do this with the Awful app, since the latest version just crashes for me, and I don't want to see an update from that again until the next new version, which would likely fix that.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

keevo posted:

CarTunes is free today. It's normally $5. I got to try it out today while driving to school and it's pretty cool. It makes changing, pausing, playing songs much easier compared to the regular music app.

I use this app too, and I really recommend you grab it while it's free. No ads, and a much better music interface. My biggest complaint is while driving and using a dashboard (CD drive) mount, I cannot read the song title/artist/etc for the life of me. This fixes that problem and have a great interface.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Despite your edit, it seems I got the last copy. Thanks.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

hypersleep posted:

Or would sending my playcounts to Last.fm while syncing my iPod and iPad with iTunes be a more reliable option?

This is what I do and it work consistently. The only thing is Last.FM scrobs based on when the scrobes are submitted. So if you listen on your iPhone at noon, and then get home, play some music in iTunes, and then scrobe your iPhone, it will show those noon tracks after the iTunes tracks, but with the correct timestamps.

I may be the only person who's noticed or cares about this. :v:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

JHVH-1 posted:

The newer 1password app went half price. Has anyone been using it that had the older one? The interface looks a lot more like the Mac app which is nice, but on the fence about buying it.

The iOS app is also $9 now. Is that half off? I've been meaning to pick up that component.
Dur, I read good. I thought I was in the Mac OS X thread. Those apps are also half off.

IUG fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 29, 2013

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Axiem posted:

Once upon a time, when I deleted apps from my iTunes library, I kept the files. That, coupled with a bug that apparently didn't delete old versions of apps when you updated them means that my folder of apps is huge. I didn't realize it until I got a new Mac and started having to copy/backup that folder.

Is there an easy way to go through and identify the ones that are no longer referenced in iTunes? (From there, it would be easy to delete them). I don't want to just delete and restore from my iPhone and iPad, as there are some apps that aren't on there that I want to keep, and some that are no longer on the store that I'd like to keep.

So, just a way to easily identify the ones I can delete indiscriminately would be nice.

If you go into the settings for iTunes and tell it to use another folder from the library, and then have it consolidate your library, it will copy over only the files that it has linked. Then you delete the old folder, and move them back (this time just moving the files yourself, and then picking the folder again, as it would just be an identical copy).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Axiem posted:

Won't that consolidate all my music tracks too? I'm not sure I particularly like that idea...

Yeah, it will, but it's the only way I can think of to get rid of old stuff in bulk that's built in to the program.

EDIT: Oh poo poo, in my checking to see if there was a way, I just found that I also have multiple copies of apps because they're keeping a few copies of previous versions. However, they have version numbers, so I'm just getting rid of the lower numbers.

IUG fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 7, 2013

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

nwin posted:

So are Roms still illegal? I think the last time I had some was back in 2000 or earlier when they were :files:

You have to delete them in 24 hours.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Or if you have an older phone (like mine) and VLC can't play a 720p file, then use Handbrake to convert it to a native iPhone format.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Moving into my house today. What's the best To-Get/Grocery application out there? Something that I can scan the barcode of an item I'm running low on and want to add it to my list would be cool.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I never got badges on the Facebook app denoting people liking any of my stuff before...oh, I guess it was the most recent update. I like it because it never used to alert me to that stuff in any way and I'd just end up seeing it lumped in my notifications along with other sorts of activity :shobon:

It's been this way for me forever. Like notifications may not show up without an actual notification though (someone comments, etc), and they took any kind of sound to those notifications over a year ago too. My friend showed me that if you add someone to your "Close friend" group, you get a notification anytime they do anything on FB.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I used Map My Run:
http://www.mapmyrun.com/

That is to say I used it. I'm lazy. Stop judging me.

For example, here's my 5k road race I did at the beginning of the summer.
http://www.mapmyrun.com/us/new-britain-ct/3-17mi-run-on-5-11-13-route-206668375

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

TinTower posted:

Mailbox has changed its default sound to Tritone. :negative:

Hopefully it should be fixed in 1.6.1 within the next few days.

Couldn't you just change that ringtone to whatever? I've been using a Strong Bad quote for the last few months whenever I get an email because I want to die single. You should be able to use whatever you want.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Minidust posted:

I just noticed that badges finally update properly on the Facebook app. Like, if I check my notifications on PC, the badge number updates instantaneously on the iPhone icon. Awesome! That one had been bugging me for a while.

Nice. Now they just need to fix the keyboard so you can type on it with the phone sideways, remember "Most Recent" for the news feed, etc etc...

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I guess I misunderstood the Keychain in the iCloud thing they were touting. Is there not an iOS app that syncs with your iCloud account and lets you look at your passwords? Something like 1Password and it's companion app? My boss is terrible with his passwords (at least now he has it in a locked document on his computer), and I've been trying to get him to buy 1Password. But I thought Apple was going to make something for that that worked on their platforms.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Mahoning posted:

You did misunderstand a bit. It's a feature within Safari, not a standalone app.

Yeah, that's pretty disappointing. I guess he'll have to go for 1Password himself. I've been using that for a while and it's nice to have a list of your passwords and stuff on the iPhone. Especially if you're not at your own computers.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Nihiliste posted:

Is there an app that lets you post to Twitter and Facebook simultaneously? TweetDeck USED to support this, but of course, Twitter shuttered the Facebook features in a hurry when it bought out the app.

You can link your Twitter account so that anything you post on Twitter via any app will repost to Facebook. I can't remember exactly how, but I think it was from the Twitter.com settings.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm surprised that it failed that way. I figured that once an app was submitted to Apple, it was on Apple's servers to download.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

xzzy posted:

Notes via icloud.com and the Notes app on iOS will do that, but it's far from the best option ever.

It is fast and reliable though and you already have all the necessary accounts created to use it.

If you're not on a Mac, use Evernote instead. It has Mac/PC applications too.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

101 posted:

iCloud.com is a website. You don't need a Mac to view a website.

I did not know it had a website where it was anything substantial. I haven't tired going to that site for years (back when it was MobileMe or whatever it was when you could have your own website on it).

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, I did it today with my Gmail accounts. Swipe the email and the Archive button appears.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Nask26 posted:

1Password is also 40% off.

Too bad that doesn't extend to the Mac/Windows app. I've been watching that price for my boss.

EDIT: I just checked the iOS store and it seems to be $10 still.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

xzzy posted:

Maybe consider LastPass, all the software is free for all platforms. The cost comes from the subscription (which is $12 a year, meaning in 7 years it will cost as much as 1Password).

I've personally used 1Password, so that's why I was recommending it to him. I just never tried LastPass, but I have no reason to switch. I don't feel that I'm lacking anything in 1Password (although the Windows Firefox plugin is buggy).

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That is the discounted price.

Ah, I didn't know it's base, but I could have sworn when I bought it, it was cheaper for me.
EDIT: Just checked, and it was $8.99, so not a whole lot cheaper I guess.

IUG fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I just use CarTunes as I can't read the drat song title when I am using the iPhone in the car attached to the dash. It makes much better use of the screen estate, and uses gestures instead of on screen controls for everything. I don't know what you mean by "file tags" though.

• Locked thread