Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

marmot25 posted:

I use The Transit App and it's wonderful. Google maps was always (and still is) pretty poor for public transit because it doesn't use realtime data.

This app looks great but it doesn't have the Twin Cities on it, so gently caress this app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DarkJC posted:

So email them and ask them to add support. In my experience they add what cities they can, for the most part the problem is that some cities aren't willing to give their data to third parties (or they'll give their 'general schedule' but no real time data).

I actually did e-mail them when I first got the phone and needed a bus schedule app cause Apple Maps didn't support it and all. Never heard back from them. And the Cities do offer real time data to third parties, as I had an Android app that used it and the other app I'm using now also has it (but doesn't look as good).

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Took the MXW Sonic code. Thanks!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I've had google send me to the middle of a suburb when I was telling it to take me to a store before, so it's not just Apple Maps that has this issue. I noticed poo poo like that on the two apps about equally, and usually for the same locations, as Apple Maps tried to send me to the same suburb instead of that store too.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Captain Matchbox posted:

Most of the ipad weather apps look like poo poo. The one or two that look nice enough without a giant stupid digital clock in the middle will lack the good rain graph or radar that another one has.

Weatherbug isn't bad.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

echinopsis posted:

Plus Appshopper does that and more. Appshopper, remember it, tell your friends

Didn't it get pulled?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So I just got through the line for Mailbox after like, a month. It's ok.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

PaganGoatPants posted:

That many people still? drat. I just gave up after a while, not that important.

I just started it and then ignored it until yesterday when I found I was at like, 10k left. And I got through that in less than a day.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

the kawaiiest posted:

Huh that's weird. Snapjoy made sense for them to buy, but Mailbox? Weird...

Well see they're both two syllable words that end in "box" so it's actually a perfect fit.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ChocNitty posted:

Is there an app that cancels unnecessary background processes and frees up memory, like memory clean for OSX?

Or is it not really needed with iOS?

Just trying to maximize my battery life.

Not needed for iOS.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So I use, and love, Sunrise Calendar on my iPhone. It's not out for iPad, though. Is there a good equivalent to Sunrise with similar features that looks as good that is for iPad?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It looks nice, but $8 is a bit spendy for some extra features when Comic Zeal already does the main "lets you read comics" thing that I'm looking for. What exactly is it about ComicRack that you like so much that would justify that price point?

E: Ok, messing around with the desktop app, the idea of having metadata like mp3s have tags for comics is actually really useful. I assume the app will automatically organize series by this making it so I don't have to manually put stuff into folders like in ComicZeal?

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 18, 2013

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Deadpool posted:

Yup. If you used the desktop app to organize your collection it all transfers organized the same way. You can then search for comics by writer, artist, character, storyline, etc...

Ok yeah, that's worth it. There appears to be a feature where it can automatically scrape Comic Vine for all the info as well. I'll have to check this out.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

Can anyone recommend a comic reader app? I've been using ComicFlow for the last year, but it's just too unwieldy to upload/organise comics on, as the only options are through iTunes which dumps them in a giant unsorted list, or through a web server that allows you to tag files for sorting but only during upload and doesn't support any kind of reorganising/deleting functions.

I downloaded ComicRack for my PC to look at whether I wanted to buy it for the iPad, but it goes in the opposite direction where it has so many features that it's confusing. All I'm really looking for is something that displays nicely and allows me to upload, sort or delete comic series quickly and easily.

ComicZeal is the app you want.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

benisntfunny posted:

I work in IT. I can work from home every single day of the week if I choose. I'd still change my clothes with more regularity than every FIVE days.

Work with plenty of weirdos and nerds and none of them are THAT dirty.

Hey, you don't know. He might just have a closet full of sweat pants.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

In the new stock Music app is there any way to not have to scroll through every song on every album? To have it collapse by album in each artist like it used to?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Suqit posted:

In the old app Settings: Music: Group by Album Artist: On

I'm still on 6.1.4

Yeah that's still on. Does nothing to fix this, now.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TraderStav posted:

So, it's 2009 again and I'm just trying to do some Word Processing on my iPad. What's the go-to app for doing this? The ideal state for me would be able to put the documents in a folder on Dropbox that this App would pull the files from. I could make changes/comments/etc and save it again in the Dropbox in the same format (doc,docx) that it started, preserving the comments. I use a Mac if that helps any, so iCloud could be something to use also.

Cheap is fantastic also.

Thanks in advance!

You probably should just get Pages.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TraderStav posted:

Does Pages allow commenting and preservation of them on export? If so, then that would be a fantastic solution. I didn't think it did that.

edit: According to this page, it doesn't: http://www.apple.com/apps/iwork/pages/compatibility.html

I am intending to use this for grading papers. Reading them, applying comments, and then saving and sending them to the students.

Could you not just put the comments as (COMMENT IN DIFFERENT COLOR) or something in the actual document? Because via iCloud you can edit stuff and save it and pull it down from wherever, I believe. I haven't messed around with it that much, but I've definitely wrote documents on my iPad, made changes with them on my MacBook, and then continued writing them later back on my iPad.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wouldn't Delicious Library be the obvious choice for blu-ray cataloging? Or is that still not accessible on iPhone/iPad?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

keevo posted:

Does anyone here use CarTunes and have problems with it? I've had it crash a bunch of times today while skipping songs.

I haven't had any issues with it since adopting it as my main music app when they made all the terrible changes to the official one with iOS7.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Bass Bottles posted:

In the Spotify app, you can skip songs by swiping the the album art to the left. This is great for when you want to skip songs without looking at the phone, such as when driving.

The default music app does not do this. Is there a different, easy way to skip songs that I've missed? Or maybe an alternate music playing app?

Car Tunes.

E: gently caress, didn't see there was another page.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Calaveron posted:

But those aren't free? It's still charging me 9.99 per app, unless it's an air thing only.

You have to have an Air or a 5s (maybe also 5c) for them to be free.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm now mad that I bought them a year ago :(

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

echinopsis posted:

on the contrary, only children see the true value in things. adults think "oh no don't break it I spent money on it" but the child inherently knows it is worthless consumer electronic junk

Then go burn your iPad, and whatever you're using to post here and move out to the mountains and live off the land instead of bitching about a tablet you've never used.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

echinopsis posted:

I don't really even remember what I said but the point is that when you even vaguely suggest to an Air owner that your iPad Classic is sufficient they start to poo poo their pants in anger and post post post about how worthless the Classic is, how much better the Air is etc, when they can't see the truth, that the iPad classic suits my needs and they need to post post post to make themselves feel better for spending hard earned cash on what amounts to a "slightly better iPad"

If things you did on it before (Netflix) no longer work, and doing those things is something you expect to be able to do with it, then it no longer suits your needs.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

slomomofo posted:

Just realized that my go-to cbr/cbz reader, Comic Flow, hasn't been updated in nearly a year now. Are there any better alternatives for comic reading on my shiny new iPad Air?

Comic Zeal is still the king, as far as I'm concerned. Comic Rack has some stuff with the metadata that's cool, but unless you already have metadata entered on everything it's more trouble than it's worth.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ICHIBAHN posted:

Gizmodo going mad about this CanOpener music app. Anyone used it? http://gizmo.do/6dm9crw

If anyone can confirm it works with iTunes Match I'd be willing to bite the bullet and try it out.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Neurophonic posted:

Only if you download the files to your phone first.

Well gently caress that then.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Housh posted:

I got my old man an iPad Air for Christmas and I want to load it up with movies and tv shows that I have on my computer but I'm trying to find the best way to do this. Most of my video files are MKV format. I know with the VLC app I can get them on there but I don't like the lack of folders specially for TV shows.

Anyone recommend an app or should I bite the bullet and handbrake everything for him to just view in iTunes?

There's a program on Windows (not sure if it's out in Mac) called simply MKV to MP4. It takes your MKVs and just puts them into a different format without actually fully reencoding like Handbrake. It's what I've used for all my stuff to get it to play nice with my iTunes/iPad/iPhone/Apple TV.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sunrise is the best iOS calendar I've used, by far.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ICHIBAHN posted:

See, ye say that but it is second best to the original calender app for one simple reason - you have to open the app to see the date. The original App displays the date as the icon. Perfect, in that regard.

This is the one thing I really wish that Apple would open to developers.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So I'm having a weird issue. I had to get my phone switched out, and I had corruption in my iCloud back up so had to start fresh.

The Facebook app isn't showing up in Notification Center. Like, it's not just not showing notifications, but it's not even in the list of apps in Notification Center or the list of apps not in Notification Center. It's like it doesn't exist. And it's also not giving me notifications. Any ideas?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

echinopsis posted:

Ugh I installed Sunrise and I bet you guys don't know just how hosed off I get when I have to create an account to use an app on my phone. gently caress it. Uninstalled. I hope the developer dies soon

You don't have to create an account though? You just log in with whatever other calendar accounts you already use to sync them...

E: Unless I'm forgetting something. It was a long time ago but I vaguely remember just hitting the "Facebook" button and it being good to go.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

echinopsis posted:

That alone is bad enough

I use Facebook events a lot, so it's a feature I would have wanted anyway. And it's integration with it and Google Calendar is pretty much why it's my go to app for this kind of thing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

echinopsis posted:

I'm happy for you that you have some modicum of a social life. Buying 'dew from the market isn't something I need a reminder for

Then don't put "buy dew from the market" as an event on anything that you need a reminder for? I honestly don't even know what you mean by that, truth be told, or why Sunrise would be forcing you to do it somehow.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

bronin posted:

I've been using "out of milk" for Android for quite a while. I was glad that they also released an iOS version recently.

Oh poo poo, I had no idea they had an iOS version out now. This was my go to on Android as well, and while Grocery IQ is passable I'm totally switching back to this one now.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Brain Curry posted:

I saw several reviews about Out of Milk having syncing issues. If you use the syncing, can you post about how it works for you?

I don't usually use syncing, but next time I do a grocery run I'll test it out and report back.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

What's the best third party podcast app that will let me subscribe to a podcast via RSS feed and requires a login? I'm fine with the Apple stock one for everything else, but god drat for some reason syncing podcasts seems just straight up busted on PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ghana rheya posted:

Anyone else had their Evernote Channel on IFTTT start making GBS threads the bed for seemingly no reason?

Yes. It keeps telling me it's disconnected but all my information is in there and correct.

• Locked thread