Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

Do any Paprika users have sources for full on recipe collections? I got the app on a whim this weekend and I suck at tracking down recipes I would like to make. If anyone has a pre-built one they could share I would appreciate it.

Related what other cooking apps are good for a pretty novice cook? I like the Jamie Oliver one and am going to try a couple of the freebie recipes before I buy any of his packs but it looks pretty slick.

I have "how to cook everything" (iPhone only) and it's good but fairly overwhelming there are so many recipes in there.

Something that can get me into planning meals for a week or something would be ideal.

Epicurious is probably really good for you. It's a giant collection of recipes based on main ingredients/meal type/difficulty/etc.

Paprika is more for storing your own recipes or ones you've found and want to save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I can't wait to see what a thunderstorm looks like in Solar. Or a twister for that matter.

It blew my mind when I tilted the phone and saw the rain tilt as well. It's the little things.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Suqit posted:

I'm constantly searching all my streaming services for a movie or TV show I want to watch and it's always a pain in the rear end to find out what is on where and for how much and in what quality. Then I found How to Watch and my life is so much better I never have to leave the couch again. It searches Netflix, Amazon Instant, iTunes, and Xbox video and tells me which services have the program in what quality and at what price if applicable. They say they'll soon add Redbox and then I won't even have to post anymore.

I prefer Fanhattan but I did give How To Watch a whirl.

I hate how How to Watch has a different listing/image for each season and for each service a given show is available on.

My only gripes with Fanhattan are that it needs a bit of a makeover for iPhone users (some of the UI stuff is way too small on a phone) and that it hasshould make you pick a season before showing you which service the show is available on. As it stands, it'll tell you what services offer any season so you could be led to believe the most recent season of Mad Men is available on Netflix (which its not but the previous ones are).

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 15, 2013

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Does the yahoo weather app have an animated radar? I can't, for the life of me, figure out if it does (and animated radars are a weather app requirement for me).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I personally use Air Video and have never been disappointed by it. I've also heard great things about StreamToMe (which I believe also does audio, if that interests you).

I also make extensive use of Air Video's conversion feature which, if you've got a file that has trouble converting on the fly, will convert a vid to a mp4 for straight-up playback.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

spongeworthy posted:

Is Yahoo Weather app acting funky for anyone else the last two days or so? It simply gives me the incorrect temperature most of the time for my city (Austin), but the forecast and other bits of information seem to be correct. A few times it has been unable to retrieve weather information altogether.

I really liked the Yahoo Weather app for its style. However, I also hated it for not having animated radar.

Then it added animated radar but it uses some different precipitation scale that I just can't seem to decipher (like where it is actually raining).

Then iOS7 made its weather app look just like Yahoo's and I deleted it and reinstalled Weather Underground.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Find My Friends finally got its iOS7 update today.

It and iBooks were my last outstanding Apple apps lacking in flatness.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

Have you noticed any annoyances with the lack of integration with the OS? Like if I want to email a link from youtube to my parents, the youtube app sends me to the mail.app compose thing.

I'm thinking that I might do this:

- Use the gmail app to compose and check emails regularly since it pushes.
- Keep mail.app linked to my gmail account but buried in a folder so that any time I send an email through the OS it still sends from the right account.

Is that kind of how it works for you at this point?

This is exactly how I manage my gmail on iOS. I also mute all notifications from the mail.app so when I get a ding, I only get it once from the gmail.app.

Works perfectly.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

zegadeth posted:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/air-video-hd/id668354926?ls=1&mt=8

anybody use this air video HD app?

I think from the description it will allow me to watch stuff i have on my pc while im away and connected to the internet?

this is the main feature im looking for,anyone know an app that definitely does this?

I had no idea the devs of Air Video made a follow up/improved app.

If it is anything like the original Air Video, it'll do what you're looking for perfectly.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

eddiewalker posted:

I'm still using the original AirVideo. When I looked it wasn't really clear what was improved in the "HD" version as the original is already ipad-optimized.

There's probably back-end improvements because you have to install a different server app that isn't backwards compatible.

I too still have the original air video. It looks like the major update is the ability to airplay 1080p live converted video (720p was the max) and a ui overhaul.

But some of the reviews also talk about being unable to handle ac3 so I'll have to check it out some more.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Have you looked at the restaurant recommendation app Ness?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Not for much longer. In the next update, the Facebook app will do away with the chat function within it and force anyone who wants to use that function to the Messenger app.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I also can't figure out how to configure Paper to show Most Recent stuff first. Relatedly, nothing is timestamped when you're looking at it which is annoying as well.

Not that it matters but the Facebook app reviews are pouring in all 1 star.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
FYI - In case you didn't see it coming, Facebook's latest app update removed Message functionality and complete's their forced migration to the separate Messenger app.

Edit: or possibly not.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 1, 2014

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Lum_ posted:

For Windows, your best bet is not using iTunes to manage your phone at all. You don't need to, just use iCloud for backups and whatnot. I use subsonic and spotify so I don't keep music on my phone, but pretty sure MediaMonkey can move files to/from iOS devices natively.

This is going to be one of those things I'll try once I get a new iPhone. I was already going to not restore from a current backup but I wonder how far I'll really be able to go until I need to check-in with my iTunes. (Probably until I need to get a playlist or album on my phone)

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
While I was wrong last week that the latest update to the Facebook app killed messages in the iPhone version, it looks like Facebook threw the software switch last night.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Since it's being pushed out server-side, it's slowly promulgating through the user base.

Messenger is now the #1 free app in the app store too.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I've specifically gotten traffic updates/alerts/new routes through the Google Maps app that explicitly state the info comes from Waze. And both times I ignored it I got stuck in traffic.

Waze is good stuff (and so is Google Maps when it pulls Waze info).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

What is a good app to receive severe weather alerts? I have the weather channel app and it comes up with notifications but they do not make a sound. I am looking for something that will alert me in the middle of the night.

Weather Underground has severe weather push alerts, with sounds, and you can customize the alerts so you only get the ones you want. Also, you can customize the times you want the alerts to go off in case you want to sleep (and die in a tornado).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

12 app updates this morning, 10 of them said nothing but "bug fixes" in the description. The other two were "iOS 8 compatibility."

Put some effort into your changelogs, assholes. :argh:

Better than Facebook's which are essentially "get bent."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

TJChap2840 posted:

This reminds me. The stock Apple weather app was backed by Yahoo but seems to be TWC now. Is this a new thing or is TWC owned by Yahoo and I am just an idiot?

It was switched with iOS8.

• Locked thread