Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Supposedly it's made from so natural stuff that you could eat it, although I wouldn't trust anyone who did to belay me. It takes a bit of work to sink it into your hands as it isn't a liquid, but it has worked excellently for me. Haven't had a single flapper since I started using half a year ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Sniper Party posted:

Thanks, those look like they're going to be very helpful. And yeah, I figure most of my problems stem from poor or nonexistent footwork. I'm so used to smooth concrete walls with no footholds I constantly forget to concentrate on my feet and they just end up supporting or balancing while my arms do most of the work.

So no particular brands or anything I should avoid? The pricing points are probably pretty different here in Finland, but I'll just grab a cheapish pair that doesn't murder my feet too much.

It has been said, but it's really not so much about the shoe for a beginner and more about the sizing. Any spare room between your toes and the shoe shouldn't be there. A brand new pair should push your toes in at least a little. Get a pair with velcro straps to make giving relief to your feet easier.

If you're in the Helsinki region and in need of climbing buddies, I can hook you up.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Sniper Party posted:

I am in Helsinki, yeah, but I'll be living in Turku for the summer because of work. Climbing buddies would be sweet while I'm in the area, though. I've been going to Parkourkeskus so far, which has an okay wall if you're just climbing on the side, but it's getting a bit limited now that I'd like to get more active with this.

I frequent the Caves in Pasila and Konala. Shoot me a mail at brakeless at hush dot com if you want to arrange something.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Kylaer posted:

When you're climbing multiple times a week, is it normal for your fingers to develop consistent pain if they've been immobile for any time? When I first wake up, the first movements of my fingers will be extremely painful until I've stretched them a bit. Is this alright, or is it a sign I'm doing too much and am injuring myself?

I don't only climb, I also lift weights, but I didn't have these pains back when climbing was a weekly thing instead of two or three times a week.

That sounds bad. Climbing isn't different from any other sport in that there's muscle soreness and then there's pain. Your forearms being stiff and sore would most likely be no cause to worry, but what you've got probably means that the tendons and related parts in your fingers are being worked too hard. I'd suggest taking it easy for a while.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Today I fell off a rock, cut open my chin while doing it.

gently caress mossy topouts, gently caress 'em.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Two week bouldering holiday in Finland.

With a shirt on.

Without.

Succesful hammock installation.

Beaches.

So much fun. Finding new places to climb with a good crew is the poo poo. The truth is out there.

Bonus dragonfly.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Chris! posted:

Looks like you had a great time!

I'm going to Vietnam for 3.5 weeks from this Thursday, and want to climb while I'm out there. It's not a climbing holiday, so I won't be bringing gear with me and will only get a chance for 2-3 days climbing. Anyone know any good climbing spots in North Vietnam (or elsewhere in the country)? Will be checking out ha long bay and cat ba island for climbing for sure.

Take pics, please? :shobon: I've got the travel bug something fierce now but my next 10 months are going to be filled to the brim with studying so I'm going to have to live vicariously through others.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Ill have you know that when I try to find the hardest and dumbest way to climb on top of some nameless rock its very serious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Like at the 20 second mark there, I bonk my foot off the wall 4 times before actually getting onto the foot hold. I can't imagine just having the strength to pull on those crimps to just smoothly go from chip to chip without using the wall, but I suppose a better climber probably could?

Even if you had the strength to pull yourself to the left and completely unweight your right foot, it could very well use more energy than your beta here and be worse from a technique standpoint imo. In general, the lighter you pull the better your technique is for that move.