Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«27 »
Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Powerlifting

Powerlifting is the “sport” of testing maximum strength in the squat, bench press, and deadlift. A Powerlifting “total” is the combined weight of a lifter’s squat+bench press+deadlift. This score is then compared against others in the lifter’s weight class to determine who is the strongest. A meet will also usually have a “best lifter” award based on their wilks score, which is a formula based on actual bodyweight and total poundage lifted.

For each movement, the lifter gets 3 attempts to lift as much as they can. There are 3 judges who decide whether the lift is "good" or not, based on that federation's standards and rules. If you are participating in a powerlifting meet, you'll want to review these rules thoroughly before going out there and bombing all of your attempts because you didn't know there were specific commands for each lift.

A nugget of wisdom on squat depth:

Dum Cumpster posted:

Don't squat like a bitch and it won't be a problem.

There are many Powerlifting Federations out there who hold and judge meets, and they all typically keep state, national, and world records. The participating lifters may be male or female, and range in age from mid-teens to 90+ years old, usually with a bunch of age divisions in between. There can also be military, police, and firefighter, junior, teen, collegiate, high school, etc divisions as well. Basically this provides everyone who pays the entry and federation membership fees to lift at the meet a good shot at getting some sort of trophy or setting some record for placing 1st/2nd/3rd in their weight/age/state/country/etc divisions for that federation that year.

Powerlifting divisions also include raw and equipped classes. "Raw" may simply mean a belt only, or it can include wrist and knee wraps as well--it depends on the federation. "Equipped" involves bench press shirts, squat suits, deadlift suits, briefs, single or multi-ply, etc. Equipped Powerlifting is an entirely different animal than raw, as the equipment not only takes a lot of specialized training and getting used to, but it provides quite an amazing spectacle as it allows elite lifters to move weights near or upwards of 1000lb in each lift.

Info on the different federations, dates and locations of meets, and powerlifting friendly gyms may be found at powerliftingwatch.

Drugs
Performance enhancing drug use is pretty widespread in powerlifting, as in every strength sport. Some federations test lifters, some do not. An "amateur" division sometimes simply means "drug-tested." Whether you do or do not partake, you will likely have to sign a form saying you've never thought about touching the stuff, so that the federations can pretend like it matters. If you are lifting in a tested division and you have some major bloat and acne going on and you place very well, you'll likely be tested. If you place well and are a jerk to a judge, you'll likely be tested.

The only reason I bring up drugs is that when you compare yourself to the top ranked guys, you should understand what you are comparing yourself to. Unless you are a genetic freak you will probably not competitive at the top levels, so don't worry about your competition, just focus on continuously improving your own total. Otherwise, it won't be much fun.

Training
Training for Powerlifting can be as simple or complex as a lifter would like to make it, but generally it gets a little more complex the longer you have been lifting and as you approach your genetic strength limits (or you are a spergmonster about it). It’s possible to get insanely strong by training with maximal OR submaximal intensities, it comes down to what the lifter prefers, and how their body responds. But it mostly boils down to increasing strength over a period of time, in order to peak for a powerlifting meet.

Linear periodization can work for almost everyone from beginner to intermediate and even advanced lifters. It involves using higher volume and lower intensities to start, and gradually increasing intensity while lowering volume over a 6-16 week period.

"Wave" periodization models follow the same basic rules, but there are typically many linear micro-cycles in a row (as part of a meso-cycle) that follow a sort of repeating “X steps forward, Y steps back” approach. This sort of training may not be the fastest way to whatever goal a lifter might have, but can be “safer” in that, if planned properly, injuries may be less likely, and progress, while slower, may continue longer.

Block periodization in general terms simply breaks the different aspects of strength out into their own “blocks” or meso-cycles, arranged with each one building toward the next, in order to peak for an event. A very simple block program may begin with 6-8 weeks of hypertrophy work, followed by 6-8 weeks of max strength work. There may be a small transition block of speed work or plyometrics in between as well. It can get much more complicated than that, and if you are interested, use your google-fu.

Conjugate periodization (made popular by Westside Barbell) builds different aspects of strength concurrently, e.g., training will consist of dynamic effort (low intensity @ maximum force) days, max effort (highest intensity) days, and repetition effort (moderate intensity @ high volume) days.

Links:
http://www.elitefts.com
http://www.joeskopec.com/programs.html (links to various templates; linear, sheiko, smolov, 3x3, 5x5, etc)

Paulie fucked around with this message at Apr 19, 2013 around 12:31

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

More resources:

Squat

So you think you can Squat?
Part 1
Part 2

Bench
So you think you can Bench? Parts 1-7

Paul Carter: Developing the Raw Bench Part 1
Paul Carter: Developing the Raw Bench Part 2
Paul Carter: Developing the Raw Bench Part 3 (Good for tall people)

Deadlift
Brian Carroll Teaching the Deadlift
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOhWfhvJPLE

Gear:
Whether for training only, or for competition as well, there's plenty of specialty gear to help you move more weight and stave off injuries.

Belts
Contrary to popular belief, belts don't seem to actually prevent injuries, but they do allow you to move more weight. A typical powerlifting belt is leather, 10mm thick, 4" wide (untapered), with a single prong buckle. However, there are double prong buckles, lever buckles, velcro, etc. Also available are thicker 13mm belts, but these don't seem to provide much more benefit and only take a lot longer to break in. There are other specialty belts out there made from nylon as well.

Shoes
The prefered shoe for all around powerlifting is the old school converse chuck taylor, but any flat, thin soled shoe will do. Cushioned shoes are not advisable for the squat, as the cushioning could cause your feet to move around while under significant weight. Most lifters go with chuck taylors or an olymic weightlifting shoe with a raised heel. For deadlifting, you'll want the least amount of material between your feet and the ground, since it would only serve to increase the range of motion of the lift--some folks will wear specialty deadlift slippers. Also, the federation may require that all lifters wear knee high socks while deadlifting to prevent bloodying the bar. For benching, any shoe will do.

Wrist wraps
Most federations allow for wrist wraps in both raw and equipped divisions. Some may only allow certain lengths. Whether you need a light or heavy wrap or one that acts as a cast and turns your fingers purple is up to you, but I'd start with a normal or heavy wrap in 60cm length.

Knee wraps
Some federations allow knee wraps in the raw division, so do not. Some of them you can almost comfortably get up from a seated position and walk around in, and they might give you a decent bit of rebound out of the bottom of the squat, some will turn your legs purple without much effort and allow you to squat 50lb of extra weight. It all depends on your squat style, wrap material & length, how tight you wrap, etc. Again, I would suggest a normal or heavy wrap, 2.5m length and try wrapping them sorta tight, real tight, and holy gently caress tight, just to get used to them and see what you prefer.

One thing is for sure, you want to try optimize the timing between getting your knees wrapped and your squat attempt. If you have to stand around and wait in them for 2 minutes, you will be sorry, and you will probably get stapled.

Knee sleeves
Some federations allow for knee sleeves in the raw division, and some of them may only allow for neoprene sleeves, such as Rehband or Tommy Kono sleeves. Neoprene provide warmth and compression to the knee, with very little rebound out of the whole. The knee sleeves that are made out of the same sort of materials as wraps will provide support and rebound similar to a wrap, but without needing to go through all the trouble of wrapping.

Chalk
Chalk helps your grip in the deadlift, and can also be used for the bench press and squat if the lifter prefers. There will be chalk provided at a powerlifting meet. Get some for yourself for training as well. If your gym doesn't allow chalk, get an eco-ball or liquid chalk, which leave less mess. Or instead just find a real gym to go to.

When you go to your first meet and it looks like some lifters have chalk on their thighs during the deadlift, that is actually baby powder. It will allow the bar to slide up the thighs instead of catch--chalk would make the problem worse.

Where to get poo poo:
http://www.elitefts.com
http://www.southcarolinabarbell.com
http://www.roguefitness.com
http://www.jackalsgym.com
http://www.eleikosport.se/USA
http://www.inzernet.com/

Sample Meet Entry Form:

quote:

All Lifters must wear Singlets, ALL LIFTERS in ALL EVENTS in ALL [federation] MEETS. Can not compete without them.

Must be a member of [federation], membership dues are 30.00, (Teenagers 20.00)
can purchase membership cards at the meet.

Early Weigh Ins: Friday morning 9:00 am - 12:00 noon at the venue.
Weigh Ins Day of Meet: 7:00-8:00 am
Rules Briefing: 8:00 am
Meet Starts at 8:30 am

Make all Checks Payable to [meet director]
Mail to: [Address]
[phone] [email]
---------------------------------------------------------
Contest Entry Form

Name of Contest: Date: 3/23/13

Print Full Name: ___________________________________ Age:_______ Date of Birth:______

Address: _____________________________ City: __________________ State: _______ Zip: ___

Phone No: _____________________________ Email: ____________________________________

Parent or Gardian must sign for you to lift if you are under 18.
Parent or Guardian signature:____________________________________________________

Select the Events pertaining to the Contest you are entering:
(In the Equipped Full Powerlifting or Equipped Squat, Only Single Ply Squat Suit, Deadlift Suit and Briefs are allowed,

NOTICE: ONLY SELECT THE ONES THAT PERTAIN TO THE EVENTS YOU ARE ENTERING.
Multi Ply- Full Powerlifting:____ Raw Full Powerlifting____ Single Ply Powerlifting ____
Multi-Ply- Push / Pull ____ Raw Push / Pull____ Single Ply Push/Pull ______
Mulit-Ply- Squat Only____ Raw Squat Only _____ Single Ply Squat Only _____
Multi-Ply- Bench Press ____ Raw Bench Press ____ Single Ply Bench Only _____
Multi-Ply- Deadlift ____ Raw Deadlift ____ Single Ply Deadlift Only
Raw Bench Press Repetitions _____
Strict Curl Competition _____

You can enter more than one event if you would like, just check the events you want to enter and send the appropriate fees according to the contest you are entering.

What Divisions are you entering?
Teenage: _____ Junior(20-23)_____ Women_____ Men _____ Sub-masters(33-39)_____
Masters(40-44) ___ Masters(45-49)___Masters(50-54)___Masters(55-59)___Masters(60-64)___Masters(65-69)___ Other ________

What Weight Class are you entering? If you don’t make weight , you go to the one you do make.

Wt. Class: 97___114___123___132___148___165___181___198___220___242___259___275___308___Super Heavy___

Events to enter and prices for each event:
Raw, Single Ply or Multi-Ply Full Powerlifting 85.00
Raw or Multi-Ply Push/Pull 75.00
Raw, Single Ply or Multi-Ply Squat Only 75.00
Raw or Multi-Ply Bench Only 70.00
Raw or Multi-Ply Deadlift Only 70.00
Raw Bench Press Repetitions 50.00
Also Strict Curls 50.00

All Cross over fees are 50.00

10.00 Late Fee after [date]
If you are not a member of [federation] or if you need to renew your membership, All memberships are 30.00, (Teenagers 20.00)

Paulie fucked around with this message at Dec 18, 2012 around 22:10

Cozy Hemp Mines
May 16, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Paulie posted:

Drugs

Performance enhancing drug use is pretty widespread in powerlifting, as in every strength sport.

The only reason I bring up drugs is that when you compare yourself to the top ranked guys, you should understand what you are comparing yourself to. Unless you are a genetic freak you will probably not competitive at the top levels, so don't worry about your competition, just focus on continuously improving your own total. Otherwise, it won't be much fun.

So, both my deadlift & squat are/have been stuck at between 1.7x - 1.8x bodyweight for at least a year of consistent training. Where is the litmus test for "genetic limit"?

Do I just start jamming needles in my butt willy-nilly, Paulie?

Pumpy Dumper
Jan 27, 2012

Pull the bar like your ripping the head off a god-damned lion.

Eat more.

Great thread Paulie.

Also for my PL meet should I print a TFLC on my singlet?!

Expanding on the EliteFTS videos

Brian Carroll Teaching the Deadlift
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOhWfhvJPLE

I love this video, it really helped me develop my deadlift even though I'm pulling sumo not conventional.

Pumpy Dumper fucked around with this message at Dec 14, 2012 around 00:46

LARD LORD
Oct 28, 2006

BEEP BOOP;
10 SET.COLORMODE(CGA);
20 LIFT "A_WEIGHT";
30 GOTO 20;

Good stuff, Paulie, much more informative than the OP on the old thread (no offense to Yohansom). Here's some good videos and articles about being fat and lifting things:

Squatting

So you think you can Squat?
Part 1
Part 2

Benching
So you think you can Bench? Parts 1-7

Paul Carter: Developing the Raw Bench Part 1
Paul Carter: Developing the Raw Bench Part 2
Paul Carter: Developing the Raw Bench Part 3 (Good for tall people)

LARD LORD
Oct 28, 2006

BEEP BOOP;
10 SET.COLORMODE(CGA);
20 LIFT "A_WEIGHT";
30 GOTO 20;

Cozy Hemp Mines posted:

So, both my deadlift & squat are/have been stuck at between 1.7x - 1.8x bodyweight for at least a year of consistent training. Where is the litmus test for "genetic limit"?

Don't be ridiculous, eat more, train more. 2.5x BW DL and Squat are attainable for pretty much anyone with good training and diet after a couple years.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Cozy Hemp Mines posted:

Until you have been training consistently hard and smart for 5 years or so, I wouldn't start haphazardly jamming things in your rear end.

Clever Gamma
Mar 23, 2008

Cozy Hemp Mines posted:

I can't speak much to deadlift, but squat more. You don't even need to eat more (you probably need to eat more).

yohansom
Aug 24, 2004

Cancersticks for Everyone

Great OP Paulie. You actually made an

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Konstantin Pozdeev 400 kg (880 lb) raw deadlift at ~230 lb: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E79KMt67tsI

Dude also squatted 410 kg at 100.

Bluff
Oct 7, 2009

YOU STUPID ASSHOLES

Oooooh...a shiny new thread. Good job Paulie.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Add to the OP tia

quote:

There was a time at the Old Westside gym where I couldn't gain weight to save my f-g life.

There was this dude who trained there who could just put on weight like f-g magic. He'd go from 198 to 308 and then to 275 and back down to 198. And he was never fat. It was amazing.

I finally asked him one day how he did it.

"You mean I never told you the secret to gaining weight? Come outside and I'll fill you in."

Now remember, we're at Westside Barbell. And this guy wants to go outside to talk so no one else can hear. Think about that for a minute. What the hell is he going to tell me? This must be some serious s-t if we have to go outside, I thought.

So we get outside and he starts talking.

"For breakfast you need to eat four of those breakfast sandwiches from McDonalds. I don't care which ones you get, but make sure to get four. Order four hash browns, too. Now grab two packs of mayonnaise and put them on the hash browns and then slip them into the sandwiches. Squish that s-t down and eat. That's your breakfast."

At this point I'm thinking this guy is nuts. But he's completely serious.

"For lunch you're gonna eat Chinese food. Now I don't want you eating that crappy stuff. You wanna get the stuff with MSG. None of that non-MSG BS. I don't care what you eat but you have to sit down and eat for at least 45 minutes straight. You can't let go of the fork. Eat until your eyes swell up and become slits and you start to look like the woman behind the counter."

"For dinner you're gonna order an extra-large pizza with everything on it. Literally everything. If you don't like sardines, don't put 'em on, but anything else that you like you have to load it on there. After you pay the delivery guy, I want you to take the pie to your coffee table, open that f-kr up, and grab a bottle of oil. It can be olive oil, canola oil, whatever. Anything but motor oil. And I want you to pour that s-t over the pie until half of the bottle is gone. Just soak the s-t out of it."

"Now before you lay into it, I want you to sit on your couch and just stare at that f-kr. I want you to understand that that pizza right there is keeping you from your goals."

This guy is in a zen-like state when he's talking about this.

"Now you're on the clock," he continues. "After 20 minutes your brain is going to tell you you're full. Don't listen to that s-t. You have to try and eat as much of the pizza as you can before that 20-minute mark. Double up pieces if you have to. I'm telling you now, you're going to get three or four pieces in and you're gonna want to quit. You f-g can't quit. You have to sit on that couch until every piece is done.

And if you can't finish it, don't you ever come back to me and tell me you can't gain weight. 'Cause I'm gonna tell you that you don't give a f-k about getting bigger and you don't care how much you lift!"

Did I do it? Hell yeah. Started the next day and did it for two months. Went from 260 pounds to 297 pounds. And I didn't get much fatter. One of the hardest things I've ever done in my life, though.

edit: you f-kr

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8n-KHOJRPk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VifVaqunjl8

Kirill Sarychev 23 years old 315kg bench and 372.5kg deadlift 1516 lb total just with his bench and deadlift.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

HIP THRAWST

shizen posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8n-KHOJRPk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VifVaqunjl8

Kirill Sarychev 23 years old 315kg bench and 372.5kg deadlift 1516 lb total just with his bench and deadlift.

Holy loving arch!

wasianchickn
Sep 4, 2006

welp

You left out the strict barbell curl.

holocaust bloopers
Dec 30, 2010

Would you fuck me?
I'd fuck me.

Dunno how prudent it would be to talk about gear in the OP a bit. Specifically recommendations for belts, shoes, etc since that seems to come up frequently.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

I was wondering (sorry if this is a dumb question) if I should use wrist wraps for bench? I don't bench a lot (225 for 3 or 4) but my wrists definitely flop over no matter what I do. I broke my left wrist twice and I have some arthritis/weakness problems with it which might exacerbate the problem. Should I just get some wraps? If so if anybody has any recommendations that would be cool. Thanks.

LARD LORD
Oct 28, 2006

BEEP BOOP;
10 SET.COLORMODE(CGA);
20 LIFT "A_WEIGHT";
30 GOTO 20;

J Miracle posted:

I was wondering (sorry if this is a dumb question) if I should use wrist wraps for bench? I don't bench a lot (225 for 3 or 4) but my wrists definitely flop over no matter what I do. I broke my left wrist twice and I have some arthritis/weakness problems with it which might exacerbate the problem. Should I just get some wraps? If so if anybody has any recommendations that would be cool. Thanks.

I use the Rogue 18" wraps sometimes when my wrists aren't feeling great. I've actually found that by using them every once in a while I need them less and less. Maybe because I'm allowing my wrists to recover and get stronger?

holocaust bloopers
Dec 30, 2010

Would you fuck me?
I'd fuck me.

Been using EliteFTS wraps (http://www.flexcart.com/members/eli...id=481&pid=3019) for heavy working sets. I like them fine and they do provide ample support. They also work great for heavy overhead pressing.

I am absolutely certain you can get by without getting those exact same ones. Hell, I don't need all that support but they're the only ones EliteFTS had in stock in the length I wanted. 60cm works out to about 23 inches which is a good length. I wouldn't go any shorter than 20 or so but that's just my opinion.

Pumpy Dumper
Jan 27, 2012

I've always had lovely wrists and doing a month of oly lifting only made them worse. Anything over 200lbs I have to wear wrist wraps or it feels like my wrists are going to break.

I use the EliteFTS 60cm wraps.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

creatine posted:

I've always had lovely wrists and doing a month of oly lifting only made them worse. Anything over 200lbs I have to wear wrist wraps or it feels like my wrists are going to break.

I use the EliteFTS 60cm wraps.

If your wrists are breaking at those weights, maybe focus more on gripping the bar and ripping it apart/twisting it into the letter "n"

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

If your wrists are breaking at those weights, maybe focus more on gripping the bar and ripping it apart/twisting it into the letter "n"

Some folks just have sorta lovely wrists. I like to use wrist wraps when I'm at 60% of 1rm or so, but I don't really crank down on them until a very heavy set. Just a little support helps mine feel better throughout training and later on, too.

e: I use the elitefts light wraps that I got for free with an order...I don't even know if the sell them normally. They are red w/ no stripe, 60cm. I have some really heavy ones (krait) as well but I don't use them much.

Also updated 2nd (resources and other info) post.

Paulie fucked around with this message at Dec 15, 2012 around 19:37

Pumpy Dumper
Jan 27, 2012

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Maybe breaking is the wrong word, but it's definitely uncomfortable/slightly painful benching over 225 without straps.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Thanks guys, I think I'll get a normal or medium or w/e in 60cm length and try that out. I do grip the bar hard and try to do good bar placement but they flop over anyway.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

If you aren't a super heavy powerlifter, but want some wrist wraps that are quality then pick these up.

http://www.strengthwraps.com - They are the best wraps I've ever used and are totally different than anything out there.

I got a pair a week ago and it makes my Inzer wraps, EliteFTS wraps, and Harbinger wraps all look and feel like crap.

They work so well.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Don't stop me now

Alfalfa posted:

If you aren't a super heavy powerlifter, but want some wrist wraps that are quality then pick these up.

http://www.strengthwraps.com - They are the best wraps I've ever used and are totally different than anything out there.

I got a pair a week ago and it makes my Inzer wraps, EliteFTS wraps, and Harbinger wraps all look and feel like crap.

They work so well.

There's a facebook coupon code that's good till January for 20% off - MADEINTHEUSA

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Alright, YLLS, I'm looking for some advice. About three years ago I stopped going to the gym due to various reasons, and shortly before then I injured my shoulder which just about killed my already puny gains on the bench. I don't really know what caused the injury, but I suspect it was lovely form on some lift over time. At my best my 5rms were 250 squat, 275 deadlift, 150 bench at a bodyweight of 175. Nothing especially worth writing home about. Recently, I've started going back to the gym again, and found that all my lifts dropped by a little less than half and I lost twenty pounds. After coming back, I started with Neanderthal No More, thinking some muscular imbalance was behind the pain, and it helped. Then I bot bored of moving next to no weight and moved on to Cavefish's routine thinking high volume work might help, and it did. My shoulder isn't 100% but it feels leagues better and I've been wanting to move back to a powerlifting routine.

That's where my question comes in: given my history, what powerlifting routine would you recommend? I did Starting Strength (probably explains my bench) and Alfalfa's 4.0 in the past. I'm being a lot smarter about warmups and rehab work and strict form. I've gained back most of my lost weight and I can actually afford to eat to gain weight now. I would like something that can capitalize on the rapid gains I can still make and will do more for my bench than SS. Any modifications I can add to do more for my arms and back would also be appreciated.

Pumpy Dumper
Jan 27, 2012

You could always do SS or TM but instead of alternating bench and ohp just do bench twice a week.

My Texas Method program is set up so that I Squat, Bench, Pull on Mondays. Squat, OHP, pull on Wednesday. Then Squat, Bench, Deadlift on Friday.

I've found I respond extremely well to high volume work on all lifts so that's why I do all 3 movements every workout.

SUPER NEAT TOY
Aug 21, 2011

If you're really super cheap, I use my boxing wraps for wrist support when I'm lifting.

I'm sure actual wraps would help more, but they help with the wrist discomfort even up to like 270 pounds so if you have really poo poo wrists it's something to remember.

NAT KING SWOLE
Jun 26, 2012

Alfalfa posted:

They work so well.

Different how?

I use pretty heavy wrist wraps when I'm benching because I've had wrist issues in the past but what makes a good stiff wrap suitable for benching makes them kinda suck for some other things. The video says its designed to give you wrist support but still have a full range of motion.

when I'm benching a bunch of weight I want zero range of motion in my wrists. Looks cool for cleans and overhead pressing and all that though.

NAT KING SWOLE fucked around with this message at Dec 19, 2012 around 07:52

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Kit Walker posted:

I've been wanting to move back to a powerlifting routine.

I would like something that can capitalize on the rapid gains I can still make and will do more for my bench than SS. Any modifications I can add to do more for my arms and back would also be appreciated.

Here's an idea to get you thinking:

3x5 for each movement, and add 5lbs or whatever each workout...starting strength style.

Day 1: Squat, Bench, Pendlay Row
Day 2: Press, Chin up, Deadlift

Day 3: Assistance/accessory work - do something along the lines of taking a percentage of your earlier bench weight (~65-85% maybe, you'll have to experiment) and do 2x10 close grip bench, then a percentage of that and do 2x10 incline bench. Then do some volume work (3-5 sets, 8-15 reps) with rows (bent over/pendlay/cable/one arm db rows, whatever), lat pulldowns or pullups or something, ab work, and finally triceps and biceps isolation movements.

You could do lower body work on the accessory day as well, if you wanted. Just depends on where you want to focus your efforts.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'm being born!

I have a dumb question that I think I know the answer to.

I've been doing TM for about 5 weeks now. Some weeks I haven't been able to do my recovery day, but managed to still do well on my intensity day despite that. I always do volume day and I added on deadlifts to it. I work a pretty active job (veterinary technician), so I'm pretty active in my day to day life. Is it really pertinent to do recovery days? Today I went and squatted and did some power cleans and that was about it. My working weight has gone up significantly since I started though. It's so cool to get to almost bodyweight for working sets on squat and deadlift.

Edit: I've been lifting for about 2 years total on and off.

LARD LORD
Oct 28, 2006

BEEP BOOP;
10 SET.COLORMODE(CGA);
20 LIFT "A_WEIGHT";
30 GOTO 20;

Shnooks posted:

I have a dumb question that I think I know the answer to.

I've been doing TM for about 5 weeks now. Some weeks I haven't been able to do my recovery day, but managed to still do well on my intensity day despite that. I always do volume day and I added on deadlifts to it. I work a pretty active job (veterinary technician), so I'm pretty active in my day to day life. Is it really pertinent to do recovery days? Today I went and squatted and did some power cleans and that was about it. My working weight has gone up significantly since I started though. It's so cool to get to almost bodyweight for working sets on squat and deadlift.

Edit: I've been lifting for about 2 years total on and off.

I use recovery days to do stuff I might not otherwise do like front squats and stuff. It's not necessary but I've found that my recovery is better in the long run because of it.

There's a thread full of good info and my half-baked training ideas here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3511885

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'm being born!

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I use recovery days to do stuff I might not otherwise do like front squats and stuff. It's not necessary but I've found that my recovery is better in the long run because of it.

There's a thread full of good info and my half-baked training ideas here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3511885

Oh, that's a good idea. Doing squats and OHP today was painful, especially after work. I might be more interested in doing it if I do something I don't normally do. I was throwing powercleans in but I'm terrible at them and I can only do 45lb powercleans.

I guess I can always switch it up, too. If I'm squatting for hours at work perhaps I can do other things instead. Nothing like holding up a 60lb dog while essentially doing a wall squat for 10 minutes straight

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

NAT KING SWOLE posted:

Different how?

I use pretty heavy wrist wraps when I'm benching because I've had wrist issues in the past but what makes a good stiff wrap suitable for benching makes them kinda suck for some other things. The video says its designed to give you wrist support but still have a full range of motion.

when I'm benching a bunch of weight I want zero range of motion in my wrists. Looks cool for cleans and overhead pressing and all that though.

There is no stretch in the wraps. They are as snug and unforgiving as possible if you crank them all the way down. If you wrap them higher and crank them down, they knock out quite a bit of rom as well.

I'm not saying you could or should bench 405 for reps in them, but so far they have tolerated all my heavy pressing and lighter uses for them just fine.

NAT KING SWOLE
Jun 26, 2012

Oh word, for some reason I envisioned them being really stretchy. I'll have to give them a try then.

Being able to adjust them without taking them off fully is a nice touch too.

OstehQvel
May 7, 2007

I think I've gotten my knee injured. It's probably nothing serious, but maybe someone here has a suggestion for what might be wrong.

The knee just feels sore, and there's some mild discomfort when bending it, especially when loaded. After feeling around and comparing to my healthy knee, I've found the soft spots on both sides of the patellar tendon below the patella become hard and swollen when bending the knee. The swelling is located underneath the tendon, and it's barely noticeable when the leg is extended. After googling a bit, I think it might be infra-patellar bursitis.

I want this healed fast, so I'm gonna take it to the doctor asap. Does anyone know how this is treated and how long it might take?

OstehQvel
May 7, 2007

Went to doctor. Got some kind of inflammation underneath the patellar tendon and can't train for like five days. poo poo sucks.

LARD LORD
Oct 28, 2006

BEEP BOOP;
10 SET.COLORMODE(CGA);
20 LIFT "A_WEIGHT";
30 GOTO 20;

OstehQvel posted:

Went to doctor. Got some kind of inflammation underneath the patellar tendon and can't train for like five days. poo poo sucks.

I guess now's a good time to consider your form? Whenever my knees start aching I pay real close attention to what I'm doing, especially with squats, and it usually resolves itself once I make sure my knees are tracking properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

OstehQvel posted:

Was it during a max attempt or just from training? If it was just due to training might be technique if not poo poo happens. My knee shifted a bit on a max attempt and it put me out for a long time which is why I never max on squat anymore without knee wraps.

«27 »