Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

mr. unhsib posted:

After Sucker Punch I'm really intrigued to see what Snyder does with this. Sucker Punch was a movie that came from a place of deep loathing of "fanboys" and their mindset and now he is literally making a movie about their jesus.

Worrying part about all this though, is that Sucker Punch wasn't particularly a good movie...

Fortunately, Snyder isn't writing or producing this one. I think he really got in over his head with Sucker Punch in terms of what he wanted to do artistically and thematically, and wound up with kind of an incoherent mess. He needs that outside restraining influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

mr. unhsib posted:

After Sucker Punch I'm really intrigued to see what Snyder does with this. Sucker Punch was a movie that came from a place of deep loathing of "fanboys" and their mindset and now he is literally making a movie about their jesus.

Worrying part about all this though, is that Sucker Punch wasn't particularly a good movie...
What about sucker punch was influced by dealing with "fanboys"

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

cargo cult posted:

What about sucker punch was influced by dealing with "fanboys"

There were thematic threads in that film that suggested the sexual fetishization of female protagonists was akin to their rape and lobotomy. It wasn't entirely coherent and was self-defeating in places, but it was kind of the point of the film.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The best way to explain Sucker Punch is that I took a woman who loves the Whedon "strong rear end kicking woman" nonsense, who was excited about seeing it, and she got mad at Sucker Punch because that was displayed as just another level of fetishizing and was actually just as demeaning as other forms of sexualization (which was the point).

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Fortunately, Snyder isn't writing or producing this one. I think he really got in over his head with Sucker Punch in terms of what he wanted to do artistically and thematically, and wound up with kind of an incoherent mess. He needs that outside restraining influence.

You're right. I expect Man of Steel to be way better than Sucker Punch. But I do expect Snyder to explore similar themes - he's done it to a degree in all his movies (well I haven't seen that owl cartoon).

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Darko posted:

The best way to explain Sucker Punch is that I took a woman who loves the Whedon "strong rear end kicking woman" nonsense, who was excited about seeing it, and she got mad at Sucker Punch because that was displayed as just another level of fetishizing and was actually just as demeaning as other forms of sexualization (which was the point).

People say "which was the point" about Sucker Punch's sexualiation but how is that a defense? I didn't even finish Sucker Punch because I thought it was so boring but from what I saw...what was the point? If we're going to have a movie that satirizes female roles in action movies why should it be done by a white dude? Furthermore, where was the satire? I felt like the movie took itself pretty seriously- were the parts where girls were being molested while one of the actresses sings a Smiths song supposed to be tongue-in-cheek?

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Sucker Punch wasn't really a satire. The point wasn't to ridicule anything. The plot was an elaborate metaphor connecting "Hollywood grrl power" action movies, to a Nevada brothel, to a 60s-era sanatorium. The failure of the movie was, it wasn't particularly entertaining, whether you got the message or not.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Slackerish posted:

People say "which was the point" about Sucker Punch's sexualiation but how is that a defense? I didn't even finish Sucker Punch because I thought it was so boring but from what I saw...what was the point? If we're going to have a movie that satirizes female roles in action movies why should it be done by a white dude? Furthermore, where was the satire? I felt like the movie took itself pretty seriously- were the parts where girls were being molested while one of the actresses sings a Smiths song supposed to be tongue-in-cheek?

It was more a deconstruction than a satire. I'm not really going to bat for the movie, I didn't think it was very good and was a noble failure at best, but it's possible for a film to be critical of other film without being satirical.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Slackerish posted:

There's no reason that a white dude can't make a movie about a woman or a minority or whatever. That gets into that stupid DandD/ E/N feminism thread "mansplaining" nonsense, where only the minority or gender in question can make a statement about their situation and a white male can never have more insight than a woman/minority about those issues. That's simply not true; insight isn't gender or race specific; only experience is. Sometimes a white male can be more right or have more insight about a specific issue than the minority in question, and said minority can easily be "wrong."

I didn't see Sucker Punch as satire. It seemed to be straight up blatant text. Note that I'm not really saying I "liked" the film - it just seemed to straight up be equating fetishizing women as kick butt heroes as the same to other types of sexualization which is why there were multiple layers to the "imaginary" state, while in reality, they were all being marginalized and dehumanized. That was pretty much the straight-text of the film, didn't see any real satirization there at all.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I'm excited because I really want there to be a compelling Superman story told. Most of my friends are thouroughly ambivalent about this film, primarily because so many Superman stories get boring/seem to ignore or revel in his general godliness. By that I mean I never buy into the threats because if Superman is as amazing as we know he should be then most of the issues he faces should be trivial and to make them not for the sake of the film/story can be frustrating.

I'm basically banking on the fact that I think Nolan as a producer will have set this ship in the right direction, and that the script etc will be fitting. I don't need another film that's visually Nolan's but he's proven to me he can craft compelling characters and stories that you can get sucked into from a comic book world. Superman needs some actual depth to his character beyond being the all american boy scout he frequently ends up as. SR was not awful, but its biggest sin was being boring and treading on familiar ground again (no more Lex Luthor for a while please). So basically I'm hoping Nolan set the general vision and tone for this film and the rest will hopefully follow well enough.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Slackerish posted:

If we're going to have a movie that satirizes female roles in action movies why should it be done by a white dude?

Out of curiosity, what's the relevance of Zach Snyder being white to him critiquing female exploitation in action movies?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I'm excited because I really want there to be a compelling Superman story told. Most of my friends are thouroughly ambivalent about this film, primarily because so many Superman stories get boring/seem to ignore or revel in his general godliness. By that I mean I never buy into the threats because if Superman is as amazing as we know he should be then most of the issues he faces should be trivial and to make them not for the sake of the film/story can be frustrating.

They're just viewing the story wrong. Superman's trials are not feats of strength or great battles; his main goal is to prove to normal people that they have it in them to be good like him. He's a benevolent sun god with perhaps the greatest challenge of all.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

The Notorious ZSB posted:

(no more Lex Luthor for a while please).

But we haven't even seen the real Lex Luthor. The only Luthor we got in the movies was the 70s land grab comedy relief Luthor which is loving horrible and a waste of Kevin Spacey. The best thing that came out of Superman Returns was the golf cart Kevin Spacey drove around the set with a Superman doll strapped to it, with him maniacally yelling that "he'll get Superman!" through a Megaphone

edit:
Hah my bad:

imdb posted:

During filming, Kevin Spacey would drive around in a golf cart ("Lex's Super Buster") dragging a stuffed Superman doll behind on a rope and yell "Superman Must Die" with a megaphone.

Comfortador fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 14, 2012

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kull the Conqueror posted:

They're just viewing the story wrong. Superman's trials are not feats of strength or great battles; his main goal is to prove to normal people that they have it in them to be good like him.
That's why Superman is boring and needs a rewrite.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Dolphin posted:

That's why Superman is boring and needs a rewrite.

I gotta disagree. It's what makes him the most unique superhero there is, the superhero. It's masterful romanticism, a rare breed in today's culture.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Comfortador posted:

But we haven't even seen the real Lex Luthor. The only Luthor we got in the movies was the 70s land grab comedy relief Luthor which is loving horrible and a waste of Kevin Spacey. The best thing that came out of Superman Returns was the golf cart Kevin Spacey drove around the set with a Superman doll strapped to it, with him maniacally yelling that "he'll get Superman!" through a Megaphone

edit:
Hah my bad:

My issue isn't inherently tied to Luthor as a character, but its hard to sell me on YET another Luthor storyline of any kind when there are so many other villains in Supe's rogue gallery that haven't gotten any screen time. Especially since as far as action set pieces go there are more exciting cinema moments to be had imo with a Braniac/Darkseid villain than there are with Lex. Lex is a great villain, but much like my issues with the thematic's of the films we've gotten I want something different.

They're just viewing the story wrong. Superman's trials are not feats of strength or great battles; his main goal is to prove to normal people that they have it in them to be good like him. He's a benevolent sun god with perhaps the greatest challenge of all.

Yes that's true, but it's not the only theme in Superman and not the only story that can be told with him. I'm sorry but part of a superhero movie is going to the actiony set pieces and all the ones we've gotten for a while with Supes are boring. That's an important theme in Superman stories, but come on its not the only one. We've had enough boring mental games where Lex thinks Supes is arrogant and Supes is just trying his best to fit in/be a good example for humanity.

Superman can be a lot like Hercules as a story character, faced with immense and seemingly insurmountable physical challenges that exemplify his heroic nature. The story doesn't need to sacrifice excitement and action to get those things across. This is still a movie, there are a lot of "good stories" that are better served in other mediums. I'd love reading a cerberal Superman story focused on his struggle to help humanity see the better in themselves, but it's tiring as a film for the 3rd or 4th time.

I do agree with you that Superman is deeper than his physical traits, but giving him such powers means as a viewer most folks want to see some actual payoff with that.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 14, 2012

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I gotta disagree. It's what makes him the most unique superhero there is, the superhero. It's masterful romanticism, a rare breed in today's culture.
It makes him a poorly written protagonist. If making your protagonist a flawless paragon of virtue (read: flat character) is masterful romanticism then I apparently know a lot of masterful romantic kindergartners, "my superhero is PERFECT MAN! His power is being perfect. Unfortunately my plot is ruined..."

Characters need flaws! Flawed characters are complex characters. Superman's main problem is that he's a walking deus ex machina, "oh no, giant island made of Superman's only weakness? that's okay, he's Superman, he'll just pick it up by making a kryptonite shield." There's nothing interesting about that, he's a great vehicle for sweet special effects but that's just about it. Good characters reflect the human condition, Superman is a perfect Jesus/god character so I suppose you could say his main weakness is being a bad character.

There's plenty you can do with a character like that, but making him the protagonist has been done (every Sunday!) and no one wants to fund a Superman movie with Superman as a supporting character.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dolphin posted:

Characters need flaws! Flawed characters are complex characters. Superman's main problem is that he's a walking deus ex machina

His main problem is literally the same as Spiderman's. "With great power comes great responsibility."

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
He's a flawless paragon of virtue, which makes him the loneliest goddamn individual on the planet. I think you're being disingenuous by calling him flat when in fact his dimensional nature as a character is just not exactly conventional.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Dolphin posted:

Characters need flaws!

Not really. His 'flaw' is he's a decent person with the power of a god, and the conflict that comes with how to use that power. He could literally end all conflict, everywhere, forever. Just blast around the world physically holding apart everyone that tried to start poo poo, disarm every army. He could bring food and water to every starving child, reshape the land to make it easier for people to live on. He could do all sorts of things...but is it right for him to do them? Does he have the moral imperative to play God, to solve every possible problem he can? Does his ability trump free will, the right of people to make and live with their mistakes? Does he have the right to have a life of his own? How many thousands die every day he spends making googly eyes at Lois?

Plenty of compelling stories have been written about a Superman that, quite honestly, doesn't really have anything wrong with him to speak of.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
That's the problem. Conflicts don't need to be purely physical, even if a physical element is involved in solving them. Kryptonite is a bad plot device and Superman is better off without it. It has its origin in writers being lazy- it was made up to give an excuse for the actor voicing Superman to take time off from the radio show.

To challenge Superman you have to present him a problem that he can't solve exclusively with his fists. The challenge for the man who can do anything is to figure out what to do and why. Trying to introduce tension through a physical challenge he may fail (a Kryptonite island, being in two places at once, whatever) isn't going to work because the audience knows he'll do it anyway, and they're right.

The past Superman films, along with the majority of Superman media in general, fall for these traps.

A man who can do anything should never be boring.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boogaleeboo posted:

Not really. His 'flaw' is he's a decent person with the power of a god, and the conflict that comes with how to use that power. He could literally end all conflict, everywhere, forever. Just blast around the world physically holding apart everyone that tried to start poo poo, disarm every army. He could bring food and water to every starving child, reshape the land to make it easier for people to live on. He could do all sorts of things...but is it right for him to do them? Does he have the moral imperative to play God, to solve every possible problem he can? Does his ability trump free will, the right of people to make and live with their mistakes? Does he have the right to have a life of his own? How many thousands die every day he spends making googly eyes at Lois?

Plenty of compelling stories have been written about a Superman that, quite honestly, doesn't really have anything wrong with him to speak of.
Those might be interesting ethical problems surrounding the concept of a Superman, but it doesn't make him a flawed or interesting character. Furthermore, there's no reason for Superman to be perfect, there's no Superman dogma, and all the various problems you've discussed are ethical problems that a non-perfect character could confront in more interesting ways--like Hancock.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Two Kings posted:

The second trailer is really giving me Superman Returns vibes. That's bad. I think the sheer reverence for the character is really hurting the franchise. It's like he's the superhero Jesus or something. Has WB learned anything from the success of The Avengers? Please just make a good action movie. And we don't need another Superman origin story. Everyone knows the Superman origin. Get right to the meat of the story from the get go and focus on making a thrilling superhero movie.

If there's no reverence for superman it's not effective. There's a thousand old silly superman stories and superman knockoffs, but they don't really work for the reasons everyone who has not seen a good superman story complains about : He's too loving powerful for a straight action movie.

Superman is only interesting if he is, in fact, a paragon and the questions are raised about how a paragon could actually work and how could someone with so much power actually BE a paragon, especially in a world where myths and legends don't hold power anymore. He's basically a hopeful ideal, "maybe someone COULD exist with awe-inspiring power and use it for good"

He's a man like us who grows up to be a god. How do you live life as a god? Almost everyone would pretty much be terrible.

Comfortador posted:

edit:
Hah my bad:

That's the thing here. Lex could be amazing in a thoughtful Superman movie, especially if there's a heavy action quotient to contrast with a Lex subplot - Lex cannot be stopped by violence, and has the means to make every way of stopping him a challenge to Superman's paragon nature.

He's a flawless paragon of virtue, which makes him the loneliest goddamn individual on the planet. I think you're being disingenuous by calling him flat when in fact his dimensional nature as a character is just not exactly conventional.

Every rule of writing can be broken, but only by good writers who know the rules.
Most bad writers who read "characters have to be flawed" just make their characters childish dumb jerks and insert some obvious flaw and never let the character grow out of it. Like the horror movie character who makes stupid mistakes and gets eaten by the zombies, or a lot of 70's marvel characters who were normal superheros but with some glaring negative twist that was somehow revolutionary, or the immature junkie slacker who shits up his life through monumentally stupid decisions. All that's easy stuff to write.

That's one reason Superman is hard to write. He does have flaws, but not obvious ones that you can immediately make up challenges for.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Dolphin posted:

Those might be interesting ethical problems surrounding the concept of a Superman, but it doesn't make him a flawed or interesting character.

Why not? How is an ethical struggle unworthy of your definition of interesting character?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Dolphin posted:

Furthermore, there's no reason for Superman to be perfect, there's no Superman dogma, and all the various problems you've discussed are ethical problems that a non-perfect character could confront in more interesting ways--like Hancock.

No, they actually can't, because a flawed character's flaws excuse their inaction. Of course Hancock isn't out saving everyone and constantly making the world a better place, he's kind of a broken dick. What's Superman's excuse? He's not a broken dick, he fully understands what it means when he doesn't spend every waking second helping others. He's exactly the type of person you can apply that dilemma to. Someone flawed, not so much. Their flaws distance them from the scope of the problem. They aren't, as they say, Superman.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boogaleeboo posted:

No, they actually can't, because a flawed character's flaws excuse their inaction. Of course Hancock isn't out saving everyone and constantly making the world a better place, he's kind of a broken dick. What's Superman's excuse? He's not a broken dick, he fully understands what it means when he doesn't spend every waking second helping others. He's exactly the type of person you can apply that dilemma to. Someone flawed, not so much. Their flaws distance them from the scope of the problem. They aren't, as they say, Superman.
A flawed character isn't infinitely flawed, so they can run into the same ethical dilemmas that a "perfect" character can. Hancock starts out like that but then he evolves into a less flawed character. A tale as old as time...

Why not? How is an ethical struggle unworthy of your definition of interesting character?
What's with the 'tude? An ethical struggle is a plot device, not a character attribute. A flat character will always respond the same way to an ethical struggle, whereas a complex character will respond in different ways to an ethical struggle depending on lessons they've learned and mistakes they've made. Superman CAN be a complex character, but he hasn't been in the past, his solution to things going wrong is usually to use his superpowers to fix whatever went wrong--like when he turned back time to to save Lois Lane, or when he lifted the Kryptonite island into space.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Dolphin posted:

What's with the 'tude?

We're just chattin'. :)

Dolphin posted:

--like when he turned back time to to save Lois Lane, or when he lifted the Kryptonite island into space.

These are both definitely good examples, the first especially. The latter I would have been willing to defend on the basis that it's sacrifice, but then the movie reneges on that promise and kind of eliminates its power by bringing him back at the end.

But outside of those, I think on the whole Superman II is an excellent exploration of character, both through Clark forsaking his powers for Lois and with General Zod as a counterpoint to his idealism.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Dolphin posted:

A flawed character isn't infinitely flawed, so they can run into the same ethical dilemmas that a "perfect" character can.

No they can't. Their flaws by nature make it so that they aren't in the same fictional space as the 'perfect' person. They will always, always be dealing with a different problem. Their flaws make them more of a person and less of an ideal. Having relatively no real flaws to speak of and that power removes the vast majority of cop outs Superman has. It's just the stark reality of playing God or not, and every single life lost is a conscious choice made by him not to save it. Because he *is* that good. If you are an alcoholic, an emotionless bastard, a cocky hotshot, if you are anything other than the platonic ideal of the boyscout? You simply do not have that same problem, because your flaws always get to be a buffer to your failure. Of course you can't save everyone, you can't even save yourself.

Superman doesn't need saving. He doesn't need fixing. He doesn't need to be taught this human emotion you call love, he doesn't need to learn the value of a human life, he doesn't need to truly grasp the responsibility of his powers. His parents probably taught him that poo poo when he was like 5, he's good. Superman begins where the redemption arc of flawed characters end. They fix their problems, and then scene. Because most people have trouble conceiving of a world where the great sky daddy really does come down to save us all.

And sometimes, Superman stories are about when he does exactly that. Or about why he doesn't.

Best you can say is a flawed character can fix their flaws, become the boyscout, and then be faced with his problems....which, ok, why do I give a poo poo you can tell another story before telling his story?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boogaleeboo posted:

Superman doesn't need saving. He doesn't need fixing. He doesn't need to be taught this human emotion you call love, he doesn't need to learn the value of a human life, he doesn't need to truly grasp the responsibility of his powers. His parents probably taught him that poo poo when he was like 5, he's good. Superman begins where the redemption arc of flawed characters end. They fix their problems, and then scene. Because most people have trouble conceiving of a world where the great sky daddy really does come down to save us all.

And sometimes, Superman stories are about when he does exactly that. Or about why he doesn't.

Best you can say is a flawed character can fix their flaws, become the boyscout, and then be faced with his problems....which, ok, why do I give a poo poo you can tell another story before telling his story?
Because his story relies on a poorly developed stock character to tell a trite (same as every other Superman or Jesus narrative since forever) story. And that isn't interesting to me; I don't particularly want to watch Superman teach ham-fisted lessons about morality. But I like Superman, he can do cool stuff, it would be nice if he did cool stuff for more interesting and less pedantic reasons.

Dolphin fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 14, 2012

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Dolphin posted:

Because his story relies on a poorly developed stock character to tell a trite (same as every other Superman or Jesus narrative since forever) story.

As opposed to the entirely original and not at all played out flawed hero looking for redemption story, which is practically novel.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boogaleeboo posted:

As opposed to the entirely original and not at all played out flawed hero looking for redemption story, which is practically novel.
If you mean the story defined by the concept of "plot" since the dawn of history, then yes, as opposed to that story.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
Superman's perfection is his flaw. It separates him from humanity. His real weakness isn't kryptonite or magic or Batman, it's the simple fact that he has the same emotional drives and failings as everyone else. There's an enormous amount of conflict and potential conflict there.

He also must cope with everyone else being imperfect, which means there are very real limitations on what he can do. There are reasons why he can't just take over the world and force his point of view on everyone else. That's his challenge- getting everyone else to understand the way he sees the world.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Dolphin posted:

If you mean the story defined by the concept of "plot" since the dawn of history, then yes, as opposed to that story.

That story is boring.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boogaleeboo posted:

That story is boring.
Do you like music or do you get tired of notes? (I kid)

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

Out of curiosity, what's the relevance of Zach Snyder being white to him critiquing female exploitation in action movies?

Because if you're white that means you've never had to face adversity and are therefore unqualified to criticize anything you silly goose!

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Dolphin posted:

You're looking at "character development" as if it was a list of iron clad rules from a robert mckee book or something. Character has Flaw>overcomes Flaw = developed character.

Superman does have flaws, they just aren't obvious ones like being a drunk or a nerd or brooding or whatever.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 15, 2012

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Why are people talking about Superman as "perfect."

He's human because he grew up as a human - he just grew up with moral values via the right influences that made him turn out to use his godlike powers responsibly.

He's in no way "perfect." He's a god that prefers to think of himself as a man because he grew up as one. He's an interesting character because, since he's fallible, he's always on a slippery slope regarding the usage of his powers.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Darko posted:

He's in no way "perfect." He's a god that prefers to think of himself as a man because he grew up as one. He's an interesting character because, since he's fallible, he's always on a slippery slope regarding the usage of his powers.

Right, he has to struggle with being devoted to moral laws that developed to guide the behavior of people significantly less capable than him. It's a reflection of problems that real people have in determining how to handle power. It's more straight-forward (without saying that it's easier) to be a pacifist when you're not the Commander in Chief of the US Armed Forces, or a cop dealing with an armed suspect, or Superman.

The Man of Steel trailer reflects this by having Superman interacting with the military (a more pure expression of the moral complications of using force), while Batman mostly concerned himself with the police (as a character more relevant to the security state and maintaining order in a population of which you are a part). If The Dark Knight is partly about whether a government should wiretap its own citizens, a Superman movie could partly be about whether it's moral to use violence to end a genocide in a foreign country.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Like a lot of people said, its not that Superman doesnt have flaws, he's just not obvious about it.

There's a pretty awesome bit in Darwyn Cooke & Tim Sale's Kryptonite--Superman gets beaten up after his first exposure to it. He gets helped out of it by Jimmy Olsen who suggests they go to Lois Lane's to rest up and the flat out REFUSES. The guy doesnt want to look weak/beaten up in front of her. It always felt like a really cool wrinkle for his character to have.

Theres always something new to dig out about the character if you look for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp
Nobody wants to see a :ohdear: "Oh woe is me being so godlike" emotionless, pseudo-philosphical snooze-fest like Returns.

I've always liked the Superman in S:TAS/JLA/JLU. He's at his best when he's humanised.

Like when he gave Batman back the piece of Kryptonite and says he wouldn't trust anybody else more to take him down if he went too far.

Or when he had to be restrained from killing Darkseid by Batman holding him back because the explosion would have killed all of them.

Or when he cried at the death of Dick Turpin because he couldn't save him.

Or when he was given the illusion of everything he ever wanted back on Krypton and had to painfully give it up to save his friend.

Or "hold on, that future descendant of yours sort of looks like my dad"....err :shobon: ....

Or that last battle with Darkseid with the speech.

People like to watch a struggle and a character with realistic wants and desires. Emotions like friendship, trust, anger, happiness etc...

Not Lt. Commander Data with godlike powers.

• Locked thread