Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

DFu4ever posted:

Superman is incredibly gassy.

This would be unironically amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Superman doesn't need big, mythological threats as such, but Zod sure as hell sets the stage for things better than Lex does. With Zod on Earth, humanity has a plausible reason to be equal parts afraid and hopeful with regards to Superman. Yeah he seems to be a benevolent god-like figure, but Zod has shown us the other side of the coin. What he could be. This makes a second movie using Lex work a lot better, because now he's not just a cackling rear end in a top hat, he's someone with legitimate grounds for his fears and mistrust.

If they play up the Lex Luthor: Man of Steel angle of the character he could work fantastically for a second film.

Personally I have a lot of faith in this movie. It's Goyen and Nolan's brainchild and they gave me Dark Knight Rises. I'm giving them a chance.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Umm, everything I have ever known about contrails says they have a lot to do with exhaust, if we are referring to the outlet of a jet engine.

There's more than one kind.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Umm, everything I have ever known about contrails says they have a lot to do with exhaust, if we are referring to the outlet of a jet engine.

I was using the wrong word.

Fightest
Nov 4, 2009

Great Sage
Equal of Heaven

Bob Quixote posted:

I'm guessing its the fact that an incredibly serious issue like that would be better served in a movie where the protagonist wasn't an alien in a cape.

Of all people to handle serious issues like the one mentioned, Superman would work pretty well. Sure, we can have some grey as hell movie that wins Cannes where we see the horror of child trafficking, but at some point I think people would want to see the perfect solution, where all the children are saved and this doesn't happen any more. Superman allows for the latter.

Maybe a bad comparison, but it's a bit like Inglourious Basterds, where it just takes the premise to its most extreme conclusion. A catharsis of some sort.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Baron Bifford posted:

My thought is a super-villain who runs a massive child sex-trafficking ring. We can see Superman beat up somebody whom we have a proper reason to hate and rescue genuine victims of the kind we agonize over in the news all the time.

You are a fascinating poster.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah that's exactly what my Superman movie needs is child molestation.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
A Superman story where Superman is a serial child molester. All the world's authorities are powerless to stop him from molesting thouands, nay millions of children, so society adapts by normalizing child rape because the only alternative would be to live in constant horror. Really makes you think about superheroes and moral relativism and stuff

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

Mechafunkzilla posted:

A Superman story where Superman is a serial child molester. All the world's authorities are powerless to stop him from molesting thouands, nay millions of children, so society adapts by normalizing child rape because the only alternative would be to live in constant horror. Really makes you think about superheroes and moral relativism and stuff

You revealed the secret, and after they said please. :colbert:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Thulsa Doom posted:

You revealed the secret, and after they said please. :colbert:

Superman gains the power to shoot rainbow beams that cure cancer. But investigative reporter Lois Lane discovers that the beams are powered by child molestation. The world has a decision to make.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Superman 4 is god awful but the part that made the most uncomfortable is when he mind rapes Lois by revealing his idenity talking to her then kissing her so she forgets, and you get the implication that this is a common occurence.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Well, you can just pretend that Superman IV is not canon. That way Superman only lobotomizes Lois once while she was pregnant with his child.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

DFu4ever posted:

Superman is incredibly gassy.
There's the Kryptonite we're looking for.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Well, you see, on Krypton social and legal distinctions between childhood and adulthood are...

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Yeah that's exactly what my Superman movie needs is child molestation.

I want to see Taken, but with Superman.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

This is about the time to remind people that Hollywood will always have the best plots for Superman films if they peruse Superdickery for even five minutes.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

That would be a really short movie.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Chieves posted:

This is about the time to remind people that Hollywood will always have the best plots for Superman films if they peruse Superdickery for even five minutes.

Brave and the bold did it "Battle of the Superheroes!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

PaganGoatPants posted:

That would be a really short movie.

"Dad, I'm being kidnapped in a foreign... Oh you've already taken them to jail."

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Grendels Dad posted:

Skwirl posted:

"Dad, I'm being kidnapped in a foreign... Oh you've already taken them to jail."

Oh, and here I thought Grendels Dad wanted to see Liam Neeson have to save the naive son of his whose been drugged with Krypto-Heroin and forced into twink sex slavery.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Could be worse could be Hulk or Spider-man

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Wapole Languray posted:

This is also why so many people think Superman is boring. They limit him to realistic conflicts, because they try and put Space Moses in the same box as SWAT Zorro.

It's kind of hard not to considering how closely linked the two characters have been. Hawkguy wouldn't work if he was roommates with Doctor Strange for much the same reason.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Regarding Luthor, my personal hope is that the President is given updates but never shown throughout the movie, until the very end, when he's given the final situation update.

"And that's how things stand..President Luthor."

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Polaron posted:

Regarding Luthor, my personal hope is that the President is given updates but never shown throughout the movie, until the very end, when he's given the final situation update.

"And that's how things stand..President Luthor."

This is what I'm hoping for too except instead of President Luthor, it's President Solomon Grundy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd be down for President Grundy any day.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
President Grundy demands pants: film at 11.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Farbtoner posted:

President Grundy demands pants: film at 11.

Typical liberal whining. Why doesn't he get pants for himself with his bootstraps?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

And I do like the idea of the government apparently being not just unnerved, but openly willing to arrest Superman. Superman having to earn everyone's trust, and having people just be unnerved by his abilities is something I want to see him overcome.

I'd love it if they could also get that woman from secret origins that bitches at Clark for looking up and not where he's going on his first day in Metropolis, and then at the end another guy bumps into her and she's like "don't worry we all look up in the hopes we'll see Superman!"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Skwirl posted:

Nah, Superman will still give the little trailer speech. It's just way more effective when your eyes are glowing heat vision red while you say it, and your cape billows in the wind as you float just a few feet off the ground.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Rhyno posted:

Yeah but he'd have a pretty short term. Sworn in on Monday and dead on Saturday!

Yawgmoft posted:

I'd love it if they could also get that woman from secret origins that bitches at Clark for looking up and not where he's going on his first day in Metropolis, and then at the end another guy bumps into her and she's like "don't worry we all look up in the hopes we'll see Superman!"
This is exactly what people would do if Superman was real! And it's pretty cool.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Is this depicting an attempted rape of Bruce Banner?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rhyno posted:

Well Lewis Black did say if we didn't anybody to mess with us, we would have to act even crazier than them so hiring a undead monster is pretty crazy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

the black husserl posted:

Is this depicting an attempted rape of Bruce Banner?

Yes yes it is

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

This was right around when Jim Shooter declared there were no such thing as gays in the Marvel U, if I recall.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Defiance Industries posted:

This was right around when Jim Shooter declared there were no such thing as gays in the Marvel U, if I recall.

He decided that Northstar should not be gay but a fairy. A literal fairy. I think they also were going to give him AIDS

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dan Didio posted:

Watchmen ends with Dr. Manhattan discovering a newfound appreciation and respect for humankind.

"I think I'll go create some."
It's been a few years since I read 'Watchmen', but I remember reading that line as him not caring about humanity at all and that he was going to go off and create some life he did care about.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Xenomrph posted:

It's been a few years since I read 'Watchmen', but I remember reading that line as him not caring about humanity at all and that he was going to go off and create some life he did care about.

That doesn't make any sense after he describes every human life as literally a series of miracles.

Dr Monkeysee fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Dec 20, 2012

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I've never cared too much about Superman, even as a kid. I have no clue about his different uniforms or anything like that. That said, the uniform he's wearing looks like something Nike designed as part of their pro-combat series. Which is a good thing. If there's one thing Superman needed it was a better designer. That original outfit just does not work.

limeincoke fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Dec 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

limeincoke posted:

If there's one thing Superman needed it was a better designer. That original outfit just does not work.

It's always funny to hear this about a costume that debuted when most forumgoers' grandparents were in high school. Gotta be one of the longest-running failures in history, eh?

• Locked thread