Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown
I would be okay with a random draw for who gets placed in the tiers.

If we did keepers, would there be a way to benefit a team transferring from one tier to the next? Maybe you don't have any players to keep, but you get the first pick (or maybe supplemental picks)

Edit: seconding the motion for IDP. It's so much better than having to use a D/ST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown
:siren: this is just me thinking out loud with half baked ideas. Feel free to call me stupid :siren:

- I know it's a money league, but it'd be cool if the winner donated to a charity of their choice. Or maybe the teams that are relegated from Tier A have to donate a certain amount. The league would be finishing up around the holidays, and maybe we could get SA to help

- what if only the Top 4 teams in Tier A have the ability to use keepers or receive an extra keeper slot (with the rules you guys mentioned). The rest are dumped back into the redraft. Of course, that might make "only the rich get richer", and would be unfair to the rest of the league

- This is a stupid idea, would be incredibly difficulty to maintain, and a logistical nightmare, but i wish there was a way to implement college fantasy football into the lower tiers. I like the idea that Tier B is college, and them you're promoted to the pros in Tier A.

Again, I don't necessarily want to implement these or anything but just wanted to get some different discussion going while we're still working on how the league is set up

On a related note that's actually relevant to the league: I agree with most of the rules Obama Yo Mama's posted. The only one I don't like is the negative points for a rushing attempt, and that's only because I don't really understand the impact (I think OYM mentioned it somewhere though)

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Obama Yo Mama posted:

In a 15 yards/point league, each rushing yard is worth .07. so having each attempt being worth -.07 makes a run for one yard a neutral play. Then I added an extra 1.75 to the 100-yard bonus (25x.07=1.75), so essentially what it does is rewards your RB for having a better YPC. I'm assuming that a 4.5 YPC is the average, anything above is slightly rewarded, and anything below is slightly punished. 100 yards on 25 carries would get you the standard bonus, but 100 yards on 10 carries would get you a few more points. 100 yards on 30 carries would get you slightly less.

Wow that's a really good idea. So Jamaal Charles' 233 yards on 33 carries against the Saints is (slightly) less valuable then Doug Martin's 250 yards on 25 carries against Oakland

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Zypher posted:

I don't feel comfortable asking someone to donate their winnings to charity, but that would certainly be a cool gesture. Maybe the first winner can set a precedent/tradition, but with such a small buy in it's hard to endorse splitting the winnings up even more.

Also, I personally hate college fantasy even though I follow college football more closely than the NFL. I find CBS's college football fantasy website an absolute chore to navigate, and I've never really heard of any other site doing it right.

Yea, I guess it would be difficult to tell someone what to do with their money.

And I've never played college fantasy before, so I'll trust what you say. I only know its "college + fantasy football". What is it that makes it bad? I assume it'd be near impossible to tell what player to draft, since there might be a RB for Random College that gets 300 yards a game

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Zypher posted:

I think 6 IDP slots would be better than 3 because it seems to me (with very little IDP experience) that it would be easy to fill 3 IDP slots on each team. With 6 you're probably going to feel slightly more of a pinch without being overwhelming for an IDP noob like myself.

I don't really get the point of WR/TE flex spots, myself. 95% of the time you're going to be starting a WR there. If we were to add an additional slot, I would prefer to just go 3 WR.

Or if you want to force people to make Sophie's choice every week, add a second TE slot. That could be pretty fun, actually.

I like having the option of WR/TE. You're right though, 98% of people would probably choose a WR (myself included) but if someone wants to build around Gronk and Graham, I like that it's still a possibility.

Or maybe with injuries you're stuck starting two TE

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown
I know IDP seems stupid or overly complicated, because I thought that before I tried it. Like it was just for people who get way too serious about fantasy football. But I love it if only for the fact that you can actually employ players from crappy defenses/teams. Would you ever start the Chiefs DST? Probably not. But they have some solid IDPs, so it adds a lot of depth to the league.

It's like if we were only going to draft Offensive Teams. Nobody would ever use the Chiefs offense (to use them as an example again), but people draft Jamaal Charles, Dwayne Bowe, Moeacki, etc...

Also, I'm going to be honest in that I didn't really understand the keepers, penalties, etc... But I'm glad we (well, you guys) are discussing it. We've got months before we have to even prepare for the draft, so it'll be nice to know that the league exhausted all our options

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown
I was thinking we should start some self-imposed deadlines so we aren't scrambling when the season creeps up on us

So what do we need to figure out?

-Hosting service
-Rules: IDP, scoring, etc...
-Differences between the leagues, if any
-Type of draft: Auction or snake

I'm sure there's a lot more I'm forgetting. Obviously the season is still 5+ months away, but it doesn't hurt to get a jump on this

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Zypher posted:

A lot of that has already been ironed out. I've summarized the consensus / my arbitration in the original post and the top of page 2.

It's been a while since I've taken a second look, but I think it covers most issues. Everything's still open to discussion, of course, but I don't think I'll budge too far without a very good reason.

One big issue question without an answer is figuring out when to draft and the actual logistics behind it.

Ah, so you did. That's what I get for not going back over the thread.

Would this work:

We have two espn leagues set up, League A and B. We run the leagues normally, but then keep track of the more complicated rules (keeper picks, relegation, etc) in a thread here on the forums. The league manager(s) can then edit the players/teams/draft picks to fit the team changes from one year to the next.

This would able us to implement our specific rules and still use espn, and hopefully keep the complications to a minimum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown
Unfortunately I think I'm going to have to drop out of the league.

I haven't paid or anything, so whoever is next up on the waiting list (if there is a waiting list) can take my spot.

• Locked thread