Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Cakefool posted:

Make the 5-tonner a mobile workshop, repair rather than recover.

Funny enough, a buddy and I were pondering about funding a RallyAmerica car and I made an infographic to convince him that a deuce would be a perfect tow/repair vehicle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Adiabatic posted:

Funny enough, a buddy and I were pondering about funding a RallyAmerica car and I made an infographic to convince him that a deuce would be a perfect tow/repair vehicle:

A deuce and a half has a 5,000lb in-vehicle cargo capacity, OFFROAD. It's rated for 10,000lbs on-road, and I think it's also rated to tow 10,000lbs. All other data points seem accurate. Wear earplugs.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

MrYenko posted:

Wear earplugs.

This.

I couldn't hear out of my right ear for a few days after driving my truck home... because the earplug in my right ear was a little loose. They are incredibly loud. You will hear that turbo screaming for your soul quite clearly through a set of OSHA compliant disposable earplugs, completely inserted into your ear canals.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kastein posted:

This.

I couldn't hear out of my right ear for a few days after driving my truck home... because the earplug in my right ear was a little loose. They are incredibly loud. You will hear that turbo screaming for your soul quite clearly through a set of OSHA compliant disposable earplugs, completely inserted into your ear canals.

David Clarks + avionics intercom is the only wat to go on those drat things if you intend to drive around with other people you want to talk to.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

David Clarks + avionics intercom is the only wat to go on those drat things if you intend to drive around with other people you want to talk to.

I was one of the few Airman with the 6x6 on my Air Force drivers license, thankfully I had a set of David Clarks with noise cancellation. You could still hear that bastard through those, but it took out the worst of the turbine whine.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I was one of the few Airman with the 6x6 on my Air Force drivers license, thankfully I had a set of David Clarks with noise cancellation. You could still hear that bastard through those, but it took out the worst of the turbine whine.

True. Since I've wised up and started taking care of my already broken ears I've done a lot of doubling up with Howard Leight MAXX plugs + noise canceling headphones. That way all I can hear is my tinnitus ringing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Motronic posted:

True. Since I've wised up and started taking care of my already broken ears I've done a lot of doubling up with Howard Leight MAXX plugs + noise canceling headphones. That way all I can hear is my tinnitus ringing.

I'd say the Power Carts we used to run external power for our C-130s were nearly as bad. They had a 4 cylinder two stroke Detroit Diesel, and it was loud as hell, even with ear plugs AND david clarks.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I'd say the Power Carts we used to run external power for our C-130s were nearly as bad. They had a 4 cylinder two stroke Detroit Diesel, and it was loud as hell, even with ear plugs AND david clarks.

Oh....on a power cart setup that sounds absolutely miserable. I've only been around something like that once and it was painfully loud.

On a further derail I'm pretty sure the loudest thing i've ever been around without hearing protection was loading into the back ramp of a Chinook right under the drat exhaust. It was loud enough that it just made your basic instincts scream to you that you should be running away.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The loudest thing I've ever heard was Ted Nugent opening for Kiss :v:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
At Oshkosh I was standing where I shouldn't have been when the F22 demonstration was going on, and ever since my right ear has had issues.

I'm glad you're cross shopping E30s and deuces.

fag magnet
Nov 29, 2000
i've been looking for an ap1 that's reasonably priced and not beat to hell for quite a while...

just sayin' ;)

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Adiabatic posted:

Thanks skyline!

It's a bunch of things...

I bought the S2000 with autocross and track days and all that in mind. I found out I don't like racing cars nearly as much as I like building and repairing them. The S2000 never breaks down (unless you don't check the oil, obviously).

Beater cars and non-pristine cars are a lot less stress than something you have to constantly check for dings and park way out in the middle of nowhere. The monetary value and the value I put on a car are way different. I like AI because they seem to have this same mentality.

I also can never decide what I want, and so I'm going to rent a garage/lot and buy some cheap stuff, see what I like, sell the rest off. Maybe make some extra cash if I get lucky. Thoughts currently keep cycling through a swapped E30, a Triumph GT6/Spitfire or something small and horribly british, a motorcycle I can learn on like a Honda Nighthwk, and a deuce-and-a-half.

It's more the journey than the result, currently.

For some context I've owned my AP2 for the last 18 months or so. It's an '07 with 64,xxx miles on the completely bonex-stock drivetrain. I had the s2000 in the corner of my mind since high school due to the build quality, perfection, styling, and other factors. I used to autocross my 240sx's and MR2 turbos and naturally thought that I would throw it into overdrive when I got an s2000 but like you that hasn't been the case. I've found that I much prefer making a car fast and going fast but not necessarily beating it up racing competitively. You're right that the s2000 never breaks down which can be frustrating for someone that likes to wrench, but my last daily driver was a 300zx tt and I spent my fair number of weekends pulling the intake manifold and other poo poo to replace dead parts. There's a lot to be said for the peace of mind that comes with having a reliable car.

That being said, an s2000 by all accounts is just another used car. I drive my car like a daily driver because that's what it is. I take it to redline every time I drive it (literally), the top is down 95% of the time (hard rain withstanding) and it goes everywhere. My car isn't a beater or beat up by any means but like they say in Fight Club, even the Mona Lisa is falling apart. There is no reason to park an S2000 at the back of a parking lot or freak out over door dings. My car was 24k used which is still less than a brand new BRZ. There are lots of way to tinker with and wrench on s2000 to keep from getting bored. Why not keep the s2000 and buy a $500-$1000 bike to wrench on?

Whatever you do, please don't try to over-sell the current state of the car. You can sell people all day on a mint interior, well-kept exterior, and even a new top, but people can't physically see the extent of your repairs. They are dependent on you being up-front and honest about the work. I don't think there is a lot of confidence in that motor given the tolerances required to keep it together after constant abuse and it would be a disservice to a potential buyer to over-state the reliability or work performed on the engine. Terms like blueprinting and other Craigslist buffs don't really sell honesty. I think I'm partially sensitive to this because the previous owner of my Z hosed me similarly. There's nothing like "all new injectors" actually being "one new injector and five used ones from an N/A." Just have a conscience when you sell your car is I guess what I'm trying to say.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Lightbulb Out posted:

Automotive Insanity: Cross-shopping E30s and deuce-and-a-halfs.

New AI subtitle right here folks :golfclap:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I understand that. I will be keeping it for at least a couple thousand miles afterwards just to make sure nothing's iffy, and I plan on ragging on it after the break-in like I used to. All jokes aside I'm going to be up-front to any interested buyer on this. I'll be giving him these pictures and the like as well if he's interested in them. Full disclosure.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Beach Bum posted:

New AI subtitle right here folks :golfclap:

Deuce and a halfs: you can have your E30 in the back and tow your Miata, too.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

leica posted:

The loudest thing I've ever heard was Ted Nugent opening for Kiss :v:

^^^^ hella old (and I'm old)

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Full steam ahead.

Positioned the motor for install:

Also cleaned up a bit:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

fag magnet posted:

i've been looking for an ap1 that's reasonably priced and not beat to hell for quite a while...

just sayin' ;)

Probably won't find it here!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Good things are happening.

Today after work I adjusted the valves and popped the rear main seal in, then hooked her up to the hoist:

Then this happened:

Can't go much further until I get the replacement motor mount for the one I tore in half. I guess I could hook some stuff up on the intake side but I'm thinking it'll be easier to do so when she's all bolted down.

I'm getting pretty excited.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Forgot this one. Check out my surfboard roof rack:

skylineboy08
Nov 12, 2010

Adiabatic posted:

Thanks skyline!

It's a bunch of things...

I bought the S2000 with autocross and track days and all that in mind. I found out I don't like racing cars nearly as much as I like building and repairing them. The S2000 never breaks down (unless you don't check the oil, obviously).

Beater cars and non-pristine cars are a lot less stress than something you have to constantly check for dings and park way out in the middle of nowhere. The monetary value and the value I put on a car are way different. I like AI because they seem to have this same mentality.

I also can never decide what I want, and so I'm going to rent a garage/lot and buy some cheap stuff, see what I like, sell the rest off. Maybe make some extra cash if I get lucky. Thoughts currently keep cycling through a swapped E30, a Triumph GT6/Spitfire or something small and horribly british, a motorcycle I can learn on like a Honda Nighthwk, and a deuce-and-a-half.

It's more the journey than the result, currently.

That's very interesting. If you like beaters an old Trimuph should be right up your alley.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

skylineboy08 posted:

That's very interesting. If you like beaters wrenching more than driving, an old Trimuph should be right up your alley.

Guy in my local AutoX club has spent and ABSURD amount of time/money on various Triumph motorcars...

Then again he's not as bad as the guy with the '65 Mustang.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I take it you remembered the flywheel and clutch? :cheeky:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

OH poo poo

The transmission isn't in yet. I couldn't put the flywheel on while the engine was on the stand and it's a pain in the rear end to do it while on the hoist. It'll go on once I get the engine bolted down.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Ah- Im used to working on 4wd's where dropping the trans AND engine is something to be avoided at all costs, so your not trying to lift an 80kg trans above your head to get the bastard to line back up again

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

This sucker is pretty light, fortunately. Some jack action and some wiggling will toss her right up.

So I ordered the motor mount I need and they just refunded me. I think it has something to do with it listed as $100 when everywhere else is at least $140.

Frustrating. I really wanted to work on it this weekend.

Civic is getting some stuff done, though. Maybe that will satiate my automotive masochism.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Got some tubes routed under the intake manifold today. Relying on pictures and using the Awful app to look at the first page of this thread. What a mess under there.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

So I'm at the point where I'm trying to start it for the first time.

Transmission is not in, but I pulled all the sensors and connected them.
Alternator is not bolted in but the sensors are connected.
Cooling system isn't in at all yet.
Most of the vacuum lines post-TB are on.
All the other sensors are plugged in.

I can crank it but there doesn't seem to be any spark...

Anyone know about these things? Is there a sensor on the transmission that would stop it from starting if it's not actually bolted to the transmission? It cranks beautifully. I'm not entirely sure on the no-spark condition as I'm just holding one of the plugs up to an iron stud on the aluminum intake manifold, but it's pretty difficult to maneuver it to anywhere else to check with those damned coil-over-plugs.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Can't help with your question but just wanted to say that I've been following along with this thread and thought you'd appreciate your posts being broken up a little. You aren't talking to yourself I can assure you.

I think you need to get together with LloydDobler and have a no start diagnosis day.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Is it just the spark? The injectors are working?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Hadn't checked the fuel but I smelled fuel. Then again I don't remember seeing any fuel on the plugs after cranking. I just realized I have a noid light set I've never used! Ill get back to it tomorrow and let y'all know the verdict.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Adiabatic posted:

Most of the vacuum lines post-TB are on.

'Most' doesn't really cut it here.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Never heard of a vacuum line causing a no spark condition.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Pictures!

Most of the tubing back on:

Rat's nest:

Ready for cranking:

In desperation I hooked everything up I could. All the sensors are plugged in, still no spark :\

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
Speaking of my experience with the 420a in an Eclipse, the VSS and coil pack wiring harness will interchange and cause no spark leading to much head scratching after pulling a motor. I would check that you don't have a similar issue.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Thanks for the lead. Luckily they really engineered the poo poo out of this harness.

Every plug only has one mate aside from the coil packs and the fuel injectors. The harness is wrapped in a way that you couldn't mix them up anyways.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
what about a factory security system? You should double check all your sensor connections.

Adiabatic posted:

Somebody works in middle management....

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

It's a Viper security system. :ohdear:

Edit: The alarm went off when I reconnected the battery but the unlock button on the fob turned it off. It does this whenever I unhook and reconnect the battery so I want to say I should look elsewhere before I tackle a potential security issue. Time to hunt down some wiring diagrams.

Adiabatic fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 25, 2013

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Adiabatic posted:

It's a Viper security system. :ohdear:

Edit: The alarm went off when I reconnected the battery but the unlock button on the fob turned it off. It does this whenever I unhook and reconnect the battery so I want to say I should look elsewhere before I tackle a potential security issue. Time to hunt down some wiring diagrams.

I dont know poo poo about the Honda engine you are working on, but the computer needs signal to know when to fire the plugs. If it uses a crank angle sensor of some sort, you could check for signal there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

It has 1 crank position sensor and 2 cam position sensors. I'll test all three once I verify there's no fuel.

• Locked thread