Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
It's like Riddell labelling the bear Russia. The elephant's the GOP, it's always the GOP, it's their logo and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Come on now, those labels are essential. That could be Ganesha towing Obama over a cliff.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

SedanChair posted:

Come on now, those labels are essential. That could be Ganesha towing Obama over a cliff.

I knew those Hindus were up to something :argh:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

It's way to late now. Should have posted it earlier. Have them anyway.
Martin Rowson christmas cards.
Humanist:

2006:

2008:
2009:

There is other ones but unable to find them.

Here is some Steve Bell / Martin Rowson themed political cartoons from past years.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 25, 2012

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Only two today. Being boxing day and all I guess.

Guardian:

Ben Jennings, not seen his stuff in awhile and normally its awful, however this one seems ok.

Indy:

Clegg is already hosed and then somehow starts to disagree after 2 years of pure bile support thinking people will forget.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Seems Rowson and Bell are not back till New Year. Everyone needs a holiday.

Guardian:

Senior Tories discount any parliamentary vote soon on repeal due to 'no chance' of winning a majority. For some reason not signed, however done by Nick Hayes*.

:pwn: What the gently caress is this doing on the guardian and not some badly made blog. Made by Peter Duggan, It links to this youtube. Made by Peter Duggan*.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3RSRrUL1Os

quote:

This festive sendup of the art world tells the story of Bernini's mythical sculpture Apollo and Daphne – a god of music that's down on his luck and a tree that saved Christmas

Torygraph:

Independent:

*Nick Hayes:

quote:

Nick Hayes is a writer and illustrator who lives in East London. His graphic novel, The Rime of the Modern Mariner, was published in 2011 by Jonathan Cape and he is working on his second, the Parable of Parayiah Raj. His website is foghorn-http://foghorn-hayes.co.uk/

Some of his past cartoons.

*Peter Duggan:

quote:

Peter Duggan's satirical take on the art world, with a tongue-in-cheek tribute to an artist every week
Some of his past works.

The pre-Raphaelites
William Holman Hunt, Edward Burne-Jones, John Millais, Ford Madox Brown and Dante Gabriel Rossetti would rather be seen as radical than Romantic in Peter Duggan's reworking of art history

Surrealists in love – Magritte and Dalí
Cartoonist Peter Duggan gives his own surreal interpretation of what happened when René Magritte's The Rape met Salvador Dalí's Soft Self Portrait with Grilled Bacon

Is this the world's best art teacher?
The cartoonist looks at the influence a teacher might have had on Edward Hopper's Early Sunday Morning, Hans Holbein's The Ambassadors, Chris Burden's 1971 performance piece Shoot and Marcel Duchamp's The Large Glass

Peter Duggan spots a spark between two artists who both currently have Tate Modern retrospectives. Part1.

Two artists with a penchant for spots, cartoonist Peter Duggan finds the relationship hanging on a knife-edge Part2.

In Peter Duggan's redrawing of art history, he imagines how MI6 might have responded to the CIA's real-life decision in the 1950s to secretly promote abstract expressionists during the fight against communism.

I find his stuff seems to be hit and miss, if he put a lot more effort into the art work its stuff it could be pretty good. Quite ironic redrawing of art history series where the drawings itself isn't good.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fluo posted:

Independent:

It says "thanks to Ling" at the bottom. Is this one of those homages to some famous painting?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

prefect posted:

It says "thanks to Ling" at the bottom. Is this one of those homages to some famous painting?

Trying to work out if its the Artist, which Artist. A lot artists with surnames as Ling. Closest I could find was Simon Ling.

Titled "We'll always have eggs" was made in 2001, oil on canvas.

His bio is Here.

I can not work out if its all oil on canvas (if so he is insanely good at doing realism), or he put stuff on top of it, or he took a photo and then painted over the photo, however it could be that he is painting over the jacket and motherboards and such and calling them his 'canvas', gotta love post modernism :rolleyes:. I really do not know never heard of Simon Ling. Might not be Simon Ling but first artist that came up which had a kind of link.
Some of his other stuff.

Meat or Veg, 2001, oil on canvas.

Gravity's Garden, 2003, Oil on canvas.

Also BBC says a little thing of 3 of his paintings (well 1 and they seem to have forgot to add the other 2... lol) http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/artists/simon-ling/paintings/slideshow

Please correct me if I'm way off.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 27, 2012

Leonard Hatred
Dec 27, 2004
It's like a great big tide of jam. But jam made out of... old women.
Usually when Bell/Rowson do a pastiche of some artwork they'll put 'after Delacroix/Monet/Rolf Harris etc' but they'll sometimes put 'thanks to Bill/Ben/other flowerpot men etc' which I assume is a friend who gave them the idea for a joke or cartoon.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Leonard Hatred posted:

Usually when Bell/Rowson do a pastiche of some artwork they'll put 'after Delacroix/Monet/Rolf Harris etc' but they'll sometimes put 'thanks to Bill/Ben/other flowerpot men etc' which I assume is a friend who gave them the idea for a joke or cartoon.
:doh: Yeah this, too use to over thinking.

If anyone hasn't seen Rude Britannia, its worth checking out. 3 Episodes, 1 hour each. Here is some clips from it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00srf2d

A History Most Satirical, Bawdy, Lewd and Offensive (Part1) posted:

In the early 18th century, Georgian Britain was a nation openly, gloriously and often shockingly rude. This was found in the graphic art of Hogarth, Gillray, Rowlandson and George Cruikshank, and the rude theatrical world of John Gay and Henry Fielding. Singer Lucie Skeaping helps show the Georgian taste for lewd and bawdy ballads, and there is a dip into the literary tradition of rude words via the poetry of Alexander Pope, Jonathan Swift and Lord Byron, and Laurence Sterne's novel Tristram Shandy.

A History Most Satirical, Bawdy, Lewd and Offensive (Part2) posted:

A popular culture of rudeness managed to survive and even thrive in the long era of Victorian values, from the coronation of Queen Victoria in 1837 until the 1950s. The arrival of photography in the Victorian age sparked a moral panic, as rude and saucy images became available to anyone who had the money to buy them.

Current-day performers recreate the acts of celebrated rude music hall stars such as Champagne Charlie and Marie Lloyd, and there is a look at the satirical and rude world of one of Britain's first comic book icons, boozy anti-hero Ally Sloper. The documentary shows how a 20th century seaside culture of rudeness emerged, with peepshows on the pier - the Mutoscopes - and the picture postcard art of Donald McGill.

You Never Had It So Rude (Part3) posted:

The final part of a series exploring British traditions of satire and bawdy humour brings the story of a naughty nation up to date and explores how a mass democracy of rude emerged, beginning with the 1960s revolutions and continuing with the today's controversies.

There is a look at how a tradition of rude cartooning came back to life, as cartoonists draw the iconic political figures of the last 50 years: Gerald Scarfe captures Harold Macmillan, Steve Bell does Margaret Thatcher and Martin Rowson depicts Tony Blair.

The rude comic art of Viz is revealed in the characters of Sid the Sexist and the Fat Slags, and the rude theatre of Joe Orton, the rude radio of Round the Horne and the hippy rudeness of underground magazine Oz are also investigated.

And the history of rude television is traced from Till Death Us Do Part via Spitting Image to Little Britain. Finally, there is a look at how rude comedy begins to be seen as offensive in sexist and racist ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T56-ibBQZ4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPckjH6uj3g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLUPtWpByaU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzqQR-18e80

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FDsVsQHnOA

Fluo fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 28, 2012

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

Independent:

Thunderbirds Creator died.

No Daily Hitler Mac cartoons today, howver I laughed my rear end off at the idea of someone paying £25 for a signed Mac.

quote:

Prints cost £15 including postage and packing.
To order a Mac print, please write enclosing your cheque made out to Solo Syndication, direct to:
Solo Syndication
Northcliffe House
2 Derry Street
London
W8 5TT
Please specify the publication date, subject matter of the cartoon and return address details. Please allow up to 28 days delivery. For further queries, please call Solo on 020 7566 0360.
* Please note: Signed Mac prints are available at £25 each.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Fluo posted:

Peter Duggan:

I find his stuff seems to be hit and miss, if he put a lot more effort into the art work its stuff it could be pretty good. Quite ironic redrawing of art history series where the drawings itself isn't good.

It seems like the main thing about these is whether you know enough about art to understand them. Most of them are not particularly funny beyond that.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

GTO posted:

It seems like the main thing about these is whether you know enough about art to understand them. Most of them are not particularly funny beyond that.

The 2 part spot ones I swear I saw in Private Eye awhile ago, they just seem to be trying to be smart for the sake of looking smart, its like Boris Johnson name dropping some 17th mass murderer he has a fetish to show he knows him. As the cold war one I found to be a tiny bit funny. But looking back after having a sleep it seems that's the only one and its just like a 'heh' laugh.

One hit and it was more so the bat was in the way of the ball. :negative:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 28, 2012

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fluo posted:

The 2 part spot ones I swear I saw in Private Eye awhile ago,

I've been reading the Eye for 15 years at least, and I've never seen those before. Googling, it seems he did them for the Guardian.

I quite like this one:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Jedit posted:

I've been reading the Eye for 15 years at least, and I've never seen those before. Googling, it seems he did them for the Guardian.

I quite like this one:

I really need to stop buying the guardian same time when I once in awhile get private eye. I remember the Tate Modern ones and I thought they were so bad I must have read them in Private Eye it seems. :doh: Seriously, I've never met anyone who bought Private Eye and enjoys the cartoons. The one is quite good, however the only one I remember clearly was that Tate Modern one.

Edit: I'm confusing that artist with Andrew Birch. :doh:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 28, 2012

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fluo posted:

Seriously, I've never met anyone who bought Private Eye and enjoys the cartoons.

*coughs discreetly*

Eye cartoons are variable, but there's some really good ones in there like Banx, Bestie, Ken Pyne, Graeme Keyes, Tony Husband and of course the legendary Ed McLachlan.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Jedit posted:

*coughs discreetly*

Eye cartoons are variable, but there's some really good ones in there like Banx, Bestie, Ken Pyne, Graeme Keyes, Tony Husband and of course the legendary Ed McLachlan.

You've broken me, you've truly broken me. I can't tell if you're joking or not. :psyduck:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Fluo posted:

Seriously, I've never met anyone who bought Private Eye and enjoys the cartoons.

I agree most fall flat, but I have a soft spot for Tony Husband as he did comics for an 1980's comic called Oink that I worshipped as a kid.

The funniest ones in Private Eye tend to be the one offs by people you never seen before.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

happyhippy posted:

I agree most fall flat, but I have a soft spot for Tony Husband as he did comics for an 1980's comic called Oink that I worshipped as a kid.

The funniest ones in Private Eye tend to be the one offs by people you never seen before.

I need to dig some up for this thread it. :3:

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Fluo posted:

I really need to stop buying the guardian same time when I once in awhile get private eye. I remember the Tate Modern ones and I thought they were so bad I must have read them in Private Eye it seems. :doh: Seriously, I've never met anyone who bought Private Eye and enjoys the cartoons. The one is quite good, however the only one I remember clearly was that Tate Modern one.

Edit: I'm confusing that artist with Andrew Birch. :doh:

Ugh yeah gently caress this Birch guy. He pretty much just hates all art, one of his strips in PE a few months ago had him slagging off the Pre-Raphaelites so it's not like he's just one of those fuddy-duddies who dislikes anything new.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fluo posted:

You've broken me, you've truly broken me. I can't tell if you're joking or not. :psyduck:

If you don't like McLachlan, you do like Hitler. He's been knocking out brilliant cartoons for over 40 years and unlike many he hasn't declined with age. :colbert:

The stuff Keyes does for the Irish Mail is boring, but he's usually pretty sharp in the Eye. He did one recently that was "Taliban-approved headgear for girls", showing a girl in a hospital bed with bloody bandages wrapped round her face.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Jedit posted:

If you don't like McLachlan, you do like Hitler. He's been knocking out brilliant cartoons for over 40 years and unlike many he hasn't declined with age. :colbert:

The stuff Keyes does for the Irish Mail is boring, but he's usually pretty sharp in the Eye. He did one recently that was "Taliban-approved headgear for girls", showing a girl in a hospital bed with bloody bandages wrapped round her face.

Hate to tell you but that's incredibly weak.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It seems that if you want UK cartoons, you must choose between lameness (that guy), Nazism (mac), and pure filthy horror (Bell/Riddell/Scarfe etc.)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
There's not enough publications to support more than a few cartoonists. Local papers almost never carry them unless they're student papers, and gently caress those.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

SedanChair posted:

It seems that if you want UK cartoons, you must choose between lameness (that guy), Nazism (mac), and pure filthy horror (Bell/Riddell/Scarfe etc.)

Our circulation-in-the-low-thousands local newsletter has been experimenting with a cartoonist for the last few months. They're utter shite.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:

The deputy prime minister plans to be a continued influence in government.

Torygraph:

Independent:

This is the best Fiscal Cliff one I've seen so far.

Fluo fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 29, 2012

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
I like Ziggy's (I think that's the name) "Scene and Heard" bits in the Private Eye, but they aren't really cartoons.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Noreaus posted:

I like Ziggy's (I think that's the name) "Scene and Heard" bits in the Private Eye, but they aren't really cartoons.

Got to agree with this and I think they qualify as cartoons.

But the guy who does the has-beeno should be shot. I don't know how he's managed to ruin such a brilliant idea.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Why are they so intent on labeling the fiscal cliff? It's possibly the most transparent metaphor in recent times.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Jonnty posted:

Why are they so intent on labeling the fiscal cliff? It's possibly the most transparent metaphor in recent times.

Yeah, its still one of the better ones compared to the ones with 4 labels. :smith: However it really doesn't need it, I never understand why political cartoonists think it needs it. Only reason I can think of is they think the readers are dumber then they are? I understand why some do it because the stuff they draw look nothing like it. However with Riddell and such its depressing as they should know better. :smith:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 29, 2012

Leonard Hatred
Dec 27, 2004
It's like a great big tide of jam. But jam made out of... old women.
I'm counting it a victory the Indie cartoon didn't label the elephant GOP

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
The best cartoon in Private Eye is Dave Snooty and His (New) Friends, which is just a stream of bad puns in true keeping with the spirit of the Beano. The second best is Scene & Heard, which isn't really a political cartoon in the usual sense. It's more a bit of illustrated journalism, where the cartoonist takes an issue of the day, like squatting, and captures an inside perspective with quotes and sketches.

http://pourlafrime.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/goodbye-summer-charlie-hebdo-reportage.html is an example of the kind of thing, although this exact one didn't appear in Private Eye.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Guardian:
Seems the Guardian is giving other Cartoons some views when Bell / Rowson are on holiday, which I guess is nice. :)

Iain Green* on the coalition, the new year and welfare cuts.

New years.

Torygraph:

He sure is the cartoonist of the year......... :psyduck:!

Independent:

Daily :hitler::
Seems to have done the 'best of MAC' since its end of year. This is what they picked. (One for each month).

JANUARY: Drugs offence guidelines suggest lighter sentencing for 'social dealers' who buy drugs to share with friends.

FEBRUARY: Former International Monetary Fund boss Dominique Strauss-Kahn is arrested and quizzed about procuring prostitutes for orgies.

MARCH: The Environment Agency warns of widespread drought conditions if Britain's dry weather continues.

APRIL: London-based Muslim cleric Abu Hamza fights extradition to the U.S. to face terrorism charges.

MAY: Surface-to-air missiles are to be situated on the roofs of private flats in East London during the Olympics.

JUNE: A historic strike by doctors and surgeons over pension reforms could mean that thousands of operations will be postponed.

JULY: Athletes start arriving to compete in the London 2012 Olympics as Britain suffers interminable torrential downpours.

AUGUST: Cycling fever grips Britain after Bradley Wiggins's triumph in the Tour de France and gold medal at the London Olympics.

SEPTEMBER: Prince Andrew abseils down Europe's tallest building, the Shard in the City of London, to raise money for charity.

OCTOBER: British forests face an 'unprecedented' threat from a deadly disease that affects ash trees.

NOVEMBER: The Leveson Report into the Press is finally published, and recommends a new regulatory body.

DECEMBER: David Cameron promises to introduce a bill legalising gay marriage next year.

:suicide: :psyboom: :godwinning:

*Iain Green stuff here and here. Political cartoonist at The Scotsman and Holyrood magazine normally. His twitter here. Can't really find any bio on him.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Lots of cartoonists draw Blair with one crazy eye, but I've got to admit I can't see it in pictures. Is there anything more to it?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
This Green fellow is like a weird mix of Bell and Rowson, but kind of poo poo. Osborne and the fat cats look just like Rowson's.

also googled to see what Bell's fat cats looked like and :lol:

E^ his left eye is a bit bigger. Thatcher has that mad eye thing going on too.

exmarx fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Dec 31, 2012

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Fluo posted:

JANUARY: Drugs offence guidelines suggest lighter sentencing for 'social dealers' who buy drugs to share with friends.

And thus it is shown that Mac can actually be funny when he avoids politics and sexual morality (even if he has no idea how much hash to put in a hash cake).

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Jedit posted:

And thus it is shown that Mac can actually be funny when he avoids politics and sexual morality (even if he has no idea how much hash to put in a hash cake).

Or how much cake goes into a hash cake, since one big enough to hide two kilos of weed without anyone noticing would be enough to send a table of delicate old dears into diabetic comas.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Jedit posted:

Eh, with Mac there seems to be no middle ground between 'utterly dull and pointless' and 'utterly disgusting bigotry', even if he manages to suppress his hatred of gay people he's not a very good or interesting cartoonist.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Murderion posted:

Or how much cake goes into a hash cake, since one big enough to hide two kilos of weed without anyone noticing would be enough to send a table of delicate old dears into diabetic comas.

Well, that's kind of the point of saying there was too much hash in it.

Mac basically wants to be Carl Giles, and Giles was always fairly inoffensive and a little bland. Where Mac falls down is that he's not as good at portraying characters - and of course, he is more open about his objectionable opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jedit posted:

He seems to be good when little old ladies are involved. I liked the one where she accidentally fired the SAM. :3:

• Locked thread