Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

a boxing teahorse posted:

Having a blast with this. I haven't beaten anything yet, but I really like the idea behind Mega Manatee's level.

I also noticed that attempting to slide off-screen instantly kills you. Gonna assume that's not quite as intended.
You didn't just try this in Spike Man's level, right?

It has a spike right off-screen to the left of the first screen, in case you try to get clever (like I did).

Beaten everything except for Oyster, Hack and Speedrun. It's still real fun. Wouldn't be without infinite lives, though, those are such a blessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15
Robot Goat made some fixes! I updated the link in the 'reveal' post.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY
Hello everyone. To celebrate the coming holidays, I have a little one-off for you.

In 2007, indie game developer Daniel Remar (whom you might know for making Iji) made a wacky little game called Garden Gnome Carnage. In this game, you play a Garden Gnome who hates Christmas and decides to stop the christmas elves from putting gifts in his house.

In 2011, Daniel made a sequel starring the little princess who sometimes appeared to help you. The good Mecha Santa is planning to spread joy and presents all over the world. This simply cannot stand.

This is HYPER PRINCESS PITCH!

Links :

These games are all free and available on Remar's website.

Hyper Princess Pitch

Garden Gnome Carnage - Flash version
(the flash version is a little different, the music was changed as well as a certain gameplay element. Personally I like the original better.)

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Haha that game is awesome.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Other people would look at a game like this and ask 'why'.

I look at it and think 'poo poo, I know way too many people who'd go nuts for a game that lets you rapidfire bricks and piledrive trains so hard they explode'.

Phiggle
Apr 26, 2007

And so, having defeated the nefarious Psy-Crow, our hero, Earthworm Jim, wins back the heart of the lovely COW

Update time! Let's go check out the damage on the ship and find our first missing crew member. There's also a certain new element in play:

Music you heard this time:
Passion for Exploring | Potential for Anything

The next one might take a while due to editing and the holidays, but I'll try to move it along.

(i'm going back to it later)

e: wow, double update :respek:

Phiggle fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 23, 2012

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Ashcan Pete posted:

I'm glad I never found Mighty Bomb Jack as a kid, though. That would've driven me insane.

What do you mean you're glad you weren't emotionally scarred by this game as a child? The millions of people who bought this game can't be wrong, can they? :colbert:

(Pictured: GameFAQs users, not known for their quality assessment prowess, get one right.)

Oh...

...but I still like it. Most of the time. And it's never too late to retroactively ruin a childhood!

Levels 4 through 6

So what else do you need to actually complete the game and get the best ending other than at least 5 Secret Coins? You need to collect 9 BP and open the Number Nine DoorFind out next time!

Ashcan Pete
May 29, 2011

KingEffingFrost posted:

What do you mean you're glad you weren't emotionally scarred by this game as a child? The millions of people who bought this game can't be wrong, can they? :colbert:

Ah, but we rarely if ever bought games when I was a kid. We'd rent them from the video store for the weekend. So it was pretty rare for a manual to come with the game. And this was before most people knew what the internet was. I can only imagine how frustrated a six or seven year old me would have been under those circumstances with this game.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Huh; I always went for the lab first anyway. I think mostly because it's more or less straight down from the ship. Anyway, liking the videos; I'm assuming you're saving some of the more dastardly trinkets (I'm Sorry/Please Forgive Me, Veni Vidi Vici, etc.) for somewhere later down the line?

Charkie
Jan 28, 2004

I AM THE WORLD'S
GREATEST DETECTIVE
Happy Halloween! It's time for a Silver Surfer update!

The audio quality should be better from here on out. We stopped using Callgraph and rerecorded everything in Audacity.

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

I'm not saying that I'm Batman. I'm just saying that... Oh, wait, yes I am. Yes, I'm Batman.

KingEffingFrost posted:

So what else do you need to actually complete the game and get the best ending other than at least 5 Secret Coins?

A receipt so you can get cash back when you return the game? If I had ever bought this game, it would've ended up going through my bedroom window after about a week.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

You know what? I'll bite.

This is indeed a very hard game, but also a really fun one, as early as it is. I want to take a look at it, even in its unfinished state, comment on what I think is reasonable, what I think pushes the line, and show off how it's a real gem in the making. Hope you like my approach to this; it's by no means a skilled run, but I have already played through all the stages and will do so again on video. Enjoy!

Edit after I finished making all the videos: There were some technical issues. In some stages, like Iceburn Man's, the sound is desynched at parts, but that doesn't persist very long for most of the time. And in Bright Man, for some reason the video would consistently play too slow at the start while I was doing commentary so I'm way behind for about 2 minutes, but that also fixes itself. I hope that isn't too bad and apologize.

Read more thoughts on the level on pastebin!

Stage thoughts on pastebin!

Normal video

...different video.

Oh, and big shout-out to raocow for having a great editing method which I shamelessly stole, even though this is not live commentary.

Merry Christmas, everybody!

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 15, 2013

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Simply Simon posted:

You know what? I'll bite.

It sure looks better than SF X MM.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

I want to eat your accent for breakfast. :allears: I like your commentary style as well, you make watching what could be an unbearable slogfest into a piece of entertainment. Please do the rest of the game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Crosscontaminant posted:

I want to eat your accent for breakfast. :allears: I like your commentary style as well, you make watching what could be an unbearable slogfest into a piece of entertainment. Please do the rest of the game.
Wow, it's been a while since I've heard that kind of praise :). Thanks a lot! You might find more from me over the LP archive ;).

Anyway, as per request I've outsourced the stage text, sorry for the initial wall. In my own threads, the OP rarely complains :D.

The next video is already finished, and the third is recorded. I guess this'll be quick and dirty and (more-or-less) easily doable!

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009
A Simon post on a well made mega man game? Christmas comes early this year.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Something I forgot to mention: the theme in Oysterman is actually an 8-bit remake of a song from Darius Twin. It was made by all-around cool guy xezton. A few of the fortress stages will also feature remixes by him.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

In this update, we finish out the regular levels and get started on the ridiculously harder water levels. I'm getting kind of worried now that I might die all the way before finishing!

Missions 5-7: Youtube

Enjoy!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Krad posted:

It sure looks better than SF X MM.

Pretty much this. Yeah it had bullshit spikes, but wow it's really loving good. Especially the boss. All I could think is, yeah I'm going to die alot but man this boss fight looks really loving fun.

A good video as usual Simon, I await more from you.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That first water level really doesn't even begin to prepare you for the bullshit of the next 2. NOTHING even begins to prepare you for that bullshit.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Wasn't Punch Donkey made up before Megamanatee? Whatever.

Also, I know, Capcom and all, but in what kind of bizarro world do we live that fan games and romhacks in a series are actually better than the official releases? I can't think of any other series that is that way!

Shadramelk
Nov 7, 2009

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Also, I know, Capcom and all, but in what kind of bizarro world do we live that fan games and romhacks in a series are actually better than the official releases? I can't think of any other series that is that way!

Also Might and Magic, at least, where MM9 is vastly inferior to BDJ's MM6 and MM7 hacks.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!

Aaah, that moment when you find a new LPer to catch up with.

Loved the video and I can't wait to see more, the game looks really well put together for a mod.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

It's not actually a mod. It's entirely built from scratch.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
I feel like much more of a man now then I did previously simply for beating Punch Donkey in that game. Wow.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

senrath posted:

It's not actually a mod. It's entirely built from scratch.
I call it a "hack" in either the second or third episode and want to apologize in advance.

Speaking of episodes...

Please excuse the random desynch for one of the edited parts (unless that magically fixed itself in some conversion). Dunno what's the problem here, VDub or Hypercam or just my old PC.

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 28, 2012

donges
Aug 4, 2012

I'd rather be vomiting and I despise vomiting. Blegh!

Simply Simon posted:

Iceburn Man Stuff

Huh - for some reason when I played Iceburn Man's stage I took the opposite paths (ice first, fire second) and didn't really have much trouble. I think (at least for the first part) it might be because I would intentionally get hit by the ice shooters in a way I knew wouldn't kill me, then rushed through that tough jump section while I was still invincible. As for the second fire part, I have no idea why I had no trouble with that - while watching your video, I felt like I probably should've died more! I probably just got lucky.

I do agree with your points, though - the discrepancy between the difficulty of the ice and fire shooters is really huge, and I think that the ice shooters should probably be toned down a little. Also, while I do agree about the instant kill attack in Iceburn Man's fight, I think he was kind of easy, and could maybe use another attack that ups the difficulty a bit.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

A big "problem" in the boss fights specifically is that the Buster charges so quickly. You can damage them constantly and severely, and unless I'm mistaken, a half-charge shot also does two damage, which never was the case before.
You'll often get hit by the multitude of attacks, losing you the charge, but as soon as you start getting used to dodging the shots, you can rack up some serious damage seriously quickly.

It wasn't a concern against Manatee (huge lifebar[s]) and I address the concern for the next bossfight, as he has some other stuff going on besides being just there to be shot at, but it's a thing in Iceburn Man. I think Robot Goat and decti are aware of it being somewhat of a problem, seeing as how the fire pillars blocks shots and he flies around often - and I wouldn't really want the charge time to change either because it's vital for some other design and just plain fun.

It's also not too bad that Iceburn dies quickly, because then you have less opportunities to get instant-death'd...

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I've been wondering, is the music in MMDongs custom or from somewhere else?

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

It's all taken from various games. Iceburn man is a theme from the darkwing duck nes game.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I really digged the soundtrack to MMDongs. Some amazing and really, underrated NES tunage going on there.
gently caress Iceburn's stage though! Seriously I must have spend the longest time plowing trough that hellhole.

Taoto
Oct 22, 2010

Hehehe... Everything's going according to plan, right?

gently caress you, Mega Man Dongs. Just. gently caress you.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I see somebody still uses the old version.

Download the new one (or don't change weapons in Hack Man's bossfight). It should be fixed, as Mr Goat and Dectilon have assured me!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
What brilliant work on that hack, guys. loving GREAT stuff. Can someone remind me which video is the origin of Punch Donkey? It was one of the Dectilon/Phiggle MM Hack runs, wasn't it?

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Right in the OP of the game:
http://bd.baldurk.org/1905

donges
Aug 4, 2012

I'd rather be vomiting and I despise vomiting. Blegh!
Okay, so I just beat Megaman Dongs. It was fun - once I got used to everything it actually ended up being very fair most of the time, which is pretty admirable, I think. My favorite robot master fight is probably Punch Donkey; for me, at least, it was harder than probably all of the others, save for maybe Megamanatee or Oyster Man.

Speaking of which, is Oyster Man's flash attack meant to be impossible to dodge? I never found a way to avoid it, which made his fight a lot harder.

Taoto
Oct 22, 2010

Hehehe... Everything's going according to plan, right?

Simply Simon posted:

I see somebody still uses the old version.

Download the new one (or don't change weapons in Hack Man's bossfight). It should be fixed, as Mr Goat and Dectilon have assured me!

Yeah, I saw the updated one. I just didn't want to lose my progress. Oh well.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mulderman posted:

Right in the OP of the game:
http://bd.baldurk.org/1905

Derp. Sorry, I glossed over that somehow, I am dumb. Thanks though!

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
What the hell is up with Brightman's stage? The platforms disappear when you touch them until suddenly they don't.

It's...really not obvious what's going on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArkhamPraetor
Sep 11, 2011

This is interesting to me because I've found the fire shooters harder to dodge for the most part than the ice shooters. Not entirely sure why since watching the video the fire shooters seem incredibly simple to dodge, but I manage to screw them up somehow. :saddowns:

That said I've also never figured out how to dodge the ice shooter on the top path legitimately either - the only times I've gotten past that screen were due to abusing Hack Man's weapon.

• Locked thread