Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15
Agh! You got me! I thought I had Death right, but I actually changed the names of a few bosses just because half of them are called big core mk.something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Awesome, glad to see this being LPed, it's pretty much the only hard game I've ever beaten (three shiny trinkets aside).

Would it be possible to do [spoiler removed now that Phiggle's seen it; also, yay.]

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 21, 2012

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
I love how the Gradius V bosses time out. It really seems like they get tired of your poo poo and just take their ball and go home.

Phiggle
Apr 26, 2007

And so, having defeated the nefarious Psy-Crow, our hero, Earthworm Jim, wins back the heart of the lovely COW

Paul.Power posted:

Awesome, glad to see this being LPed, it's pretty much the only hard game I've ever beaten (three shiny trinkets aside).

Would it be possible to do *snip*
That was the plan! :)

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Bellmaker posted:

This looks a lot like Solar Jetman for the NES. Including the "everything wants you dead" theme.

The "carrying things about with proper physics" mechanic is reminiscent of Thrust.

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

I'm not saying that I'm Batman. I'm just saying that... Oh, wait, yes I am. Yes, I'm Batman.

Bellmaker posted:

This looks a lot like Solar Jetman for the NES. Including the "everything wants you dead" theme.

Solar Jetman at least made you feel like it was possible to win without divine intervention. Sub-terrania looks like it's one big frustration simulator.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Allmightybob posted:

Solar Jetman at least made you feel like it was possible to win without divine intervention. Sub-terrania looks like it's one big frustration simulator.

It's pretty decent on normal but hard just shits all over the concept of "margin of error".

Ashcan Pete
May 29, 2011

It's really nice to see a mix of older games I played as a kid and some newer things that show that some games are still set on giving you a challenge. I'm glad I never found Mighty Bomb Jack as a kid, though. That would've driven me insane.

Hampooj
Jul 26, 2010
I think I'd like to get in on this and contribute. I had an idea bouncing around a few months back that didn't work out too well cause of my pc. Now that I've upgraded to windows 8 from xp things are a lot better though, so it'll be possible as long as I can teach myself some basic editing and recording poo poo.

Anyways, I was toying with the idea of doing an LP of Far Cry 1 on Realistic difficulty, which is bullshit in so many ways. So I played through the entire game on realistic and (although having a shitload of fun playing it for some stupid reason) I realized it would probably make an insanely tedious and probably boring LP on its own the way I had intended to do it before.

So that's what I'm working on now. Trying to make it entertaining and editing a shitload. That game is tedious to begin with. Plus I think it would work better with the spirit of this thread, rather than a stand alone LP. So what's the deal about contributing? Should I just make a post of it if/when I get it ready? Or is 2004 too recent of a game and this thread is for older games?

E: Ahh of course, I completely forgot VVVVVV was a newer game, cause of it's retro look. I guess that's what I meant. To phrase it a little better, is a bullshit hard FPS appropriate for this thread or is that not the right genre and this is for retro / platformers and the like?

Hampooj fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 21, 2012

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
VVVVVV was released sometime in the last year or two, so I don't think release date has anything to do with it; older games just seem to be more quantifiably difficult…?

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.

Hampooj posted:

E: Ahh of course, I completely forgot VVVVVV was a newer game, cause of it's retro look. I guess that's what I meant. To phrase it a little better, is a bullshit hard FPS appropriate for this thread or is that not the right genre and this is for retro / platformers and the like?

No, no constraints there. I think that'd be interesting actually.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
A maximum difficulty run of an FPS would be something I'd watch, for sure.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

frozentreasure posted:

older games just seem to be more quantifiably difficult…?

The only model for gameplay they had were arcades, which were really hard to encourage people to spend more money. When games moved to consoles, the design stayed.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

This whole LP is making me want to dig out my copy of the game again, despite having a bunch of current shmups to play. I've tried going back to the original Gradius and R-Type recently, but they're trying my patience because of how severely they punish mistakes. Either that, or I've played too many manic shooters lately, and as a whole there's not a ton of penalties for dying outside of dying itself.

Is there a reason why you're playing on the 2P side? I know a bunch of older Cave games have scoring systems that favor the 2P side in order to even out wear and tear on the controls, but as far as I know, Gradius V was PS2 only. Just curious.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Bovineicide posted:

Is there a reason why you're playing on the 2P side? I know a bunch of older Cave games have scoring systems that favor the 2P side in order to even out wear and tear on the controls, but as far as I know, Gradius V was PS2 only. Just curious.

No other reason than that I tried to use a ps2-controller (bound to player 1), concluded I sucked at it and went to the keyboard controls (player 2).

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Time for a special treat!

A little over a year ago I was running a romhack thread, and Robot Goat decided to make a little game in game maker inspired by one of my terrible jokes (or, more likely, phiggle's awesome animation, as seen here.)

A short while later Robot Goat pm:d me and said that he was considering making a full megaman fangame, but that he wasn't happy with his level designs and asked me if I wanted to help. A chance to put theory into practice?! Of course I was in!

And now, we actually have something to present (well, robot goat does, he has done the vast majority of the work)! I give you:

download here!

It's an alpha you could say since we have a lot of levels and features left to add. But there are 8 playable levels, and I'd say that's something!

The controls start as z,x,arrows,enter but you can change them to anything.

The control scheme is the same as in megaman 5, so you have slide and megabuster.

I hope to have a little race of this at some point!

Dectilon fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 27, 2012

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Oh god is the clusterfuck of every MM2 boss still in? That was the most bullshit part of the original MMDongs.

Hampooj
Jul 26, 2010
e: removed cause it sucked. Thanks for the criticism. Will have to think about if I want to pursue it or not, as I didn't think it would be interesting enough to warrant its own thread.

Hampooj fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 22, 2012

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Hampooj posted:

I'm not exactly an editing savant, so excuse the maybe jarring mass of jump cuts.

No I don't think I will. If editing out deaths you can cut back to right before the place you died in. Cutting the way you do makes it really hard to follow along, and you have to stop every minute to say 'here comes a jump cut'. It's really annoying, and you even cut yourself off from talk about the game to say it.

Honestly, if you want my advice I say scrap this, take it to the sandcastle and make your own thread once you refine it. Judging from what you had to say about the game (including 'I don't know why I like it') I'm not sure this is the best place for it.

Hampooj
Jul 26, 2010

Dectilon posted:

If editing out deaths you can cut back to right before the place you died in. Cutting the way you do makes it really hard to follow along

I only died once in the first video in the tent, the rest of my cuts were me just aimlessly wandering around because I was showing off minutia textures and poo poo that I thought would be interesting and in the end I decided wasn't worth keeping, because the video was 20 minutes long and I ended up cutting it down to 11. The second video is a lot more coherent in that regard and my cuts aren't all over the place, they just happen after I die, to skip loading and going back to a point before I start fighting again. There's really not a whole lot in the first level of the game so I ended up recording too much, just wandering around, trying to be interesting, then decided it wasn't. Would you rather I not bother posting the second video when it's up?

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Yeah, I think this is in dire need of some sandcastlin', and maybe some tech support fort help with editing and such. Take it there, and make it into its own thing. I'd rather not clog the thread up with that stuff. Thanks for giving it a shot though!

Glenn_Beckett
Sep 13, 2008

When I see a 9/11 victim family on television I'm just like 'Given the existence as uttered forth in the public works of Puncher and Wattmann of a personal God quaquaqua'

Dectilon posted:

I'd love to play it but unfortunately it slows my computer to a crawl.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Dectilon posted:

Time for a special treat!

A little over a year ago I was running a romhack thread, and Robot Goat decided to make a little game in game maker inspired by one of my terrible jokes (or, more likely, phiggle's awesome animation, as seen here.)

A short while later Robot Goat pm:d me and said that he was considering making a full megaman fangame, but that he wasn't happy with his level designs and asked me if I wanted to help. A chance to put theory into practice?! Of course I was in!

And now, we actually have something to present (well, robot goat does, he has done the vast majority of the work)! I give you:

download here!

It's an alpha you could say since we have a lot of levels and features left to add. But there are 8 playable levels, and I'd say that's something!

The controls start as z,x,arrows,enter but you can change them to anything.

The control scheme is the same as in megaman 5, so you have slide and megabuster.

Gave it a try. Still have to beat a single level, but I gotta say, so far it looks pretty neat!

I don't know if it's my kind of difficulty to play it normally, but as you can put in infinite lives...haven't done that so far...it should be possible to beat, at least.

So far I liked Spike Man's and Iceburn Man's stages the most...I'm not too big a fan of those that change the rules, and Hack's is a little too spammy for my taste.

One minor thing: If you just hang out on the right corner, Heat Man in Iceburn's stage can't ever hit you. Dunno if that's intentional?

I'll play it a few more times (and Skype you more comments to not clog up the thread).

Basically what I want to say with this post is: if you can, check it out, it has great ideas and made me laugh quite a few times!
Oh, and it has a save feature and options and poo poo that's like a million miles above that Street Fighter crossover embarrassment.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Simply Simon posted:

One minor thing: If you just hang out on the right corner, Heat Man in Iceburn's stage can't ever hit you. Dunno if that's intentional?

Glad you like it! We're actually going to remake some parts of iceburn, Heatman being part of that.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You people are crazy. Every video is a nail biter. Also thanks to who ever is doing Bomberman Jack. I had that game and never figured out what the hell was going on.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

I tried this as well, and it was fun and really cool, but drat if it isn't just way too hard for me. I would love to see someone just beat the game, race or not.

Smash Daisaku
Jul 12, 2008

Last Bet $15 on Player 1
Odds 807.1:1 ($1)

Dectilon posted:

MMDongs.exe

So far I've managed to beat Punch Donkey and picked up his power, but I don't think I can use it yet (or haven't found where to use it yet). Still trying to feel out which stages I can beat next, but what's stopping me is just how long they feel. I appreciate the higher difficulty, but getting through the stages with their length and difficulty feels like a bit of a chore.

I really do like the stage variety though! I'll definitely watch (and maybe try to be a part of) any trainwreck race that comes from this.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Smash Daisaku posted:

So far I've managed to beat Punch Donkey and picked up his power, but I don't think I can use it yet

You can use it to pick up enemies.

ArkhamPraetor
Sep 11, 2011

This is pretty awesome, although I wish the hardest parts of each stage (at least to me) weren't at the end. Very fun though. I assume its intentional that you can get the extra life on Bright Man without dying to the trap?

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Way too hard for me, someone who has never played a Megaman.

How do the jump at the start of Punch Donkey, I figured out how to push the spring glove back but then I just get flung into the helmet dude.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

FillInTheBlank posted:

Way too hard for me, someone who has never played a Megaman.

How do the jump at the start of Punch Donkey, I figured out how to push the spring glove back but then I just get flung into the helmet dude.

You can jump while sliding.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.
Holy poo poo this game shouldn't be played with a keyboard. I gave it yet another try at work and my left wrist hurts after playing. But it was all worth as I finally finished a stage! (Bright Man, just in case you were wondering)

Anyway, some opinions I had while I was playing the stage. First of all, I really am thankful for the addition of infinite lives as this means I can finally have a chance at finishing the stages.

In overall, stages are too long. There are some rooms and sections in levels which probably could be trimmed out without having the player miss too much of the experience. The disappearing block segments in overall would be a prime offender, there are too many of these in the level and once you figure out their gimmick, they aren't too hard to overcome. I just think it's the main problem with the game; you have some nice ideas but there are portions where you repeat them too much and then it becomes a bit tiring to go through them.

Also, considering the much higher difficulty of the game, I think it could use some more checkpoints, or at least give the player the option to get more. For instance, I got to that green ball miniboss which is fought in that room with green and blue blocks. Before I figured out the gimmick behind the room, I died to it and I'm kicked way back in the level, to the point where it takes over 2 minutes to go back to the miniboss and try again.

With that said, most of the setpieces you find in the game are fun to overcome. Bright Man's stage in particular had some pretty interesting and funny sections, I especially like how come he's watching over you or trying to impede on your progress constantly through the whole stage. It just makes it even more satisfying when you finally defeat him for good at the end of the stage, although I found he was a lot easier to defeat than his stage (I only died to him twice before I figured him out compared to the dozen billion lives I lost making my way to him).

All in all, it's a little too hard to be fully enjoyable, but it's pretty creative and inventive and there's a lot of potential in there. Keep it up Dectilon!

GuidoAnchovies
Oct 27, 2005

Im'a get ya!

Shadow of the Beast is an odd game. It's really odd. It's a prog rock acid trip that doesn't care if you're having fun because it's doing its own thing with or without you.

That's mostly just the art style though. The actual game is a Genesis conversion from a Megadrive port of an Amiga classic (which I've never played). This version was converted poorly and leaves you with a tiny punch and jumpkick to fight against enemies that spawn out of seemingly (but not actually) random locations, flying at top speed. With this version being converted improperly from 50 to 60 Mhz, the game runs faster than it should, which turns this game into a test of insane reflexes and memorization. This is also combined with an element of pseudo open-world exploration to really make an interesting game that is marred by a focus on art style over gameplay. It's not particularly fun, but everyone should see just how crazy the art design gets by the end of the game.

Intro
Part 1

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...

GuidoAnchovies posted:

Why Shadow of the Beast was so balls-hard.

For years I wondered why this game was so goddamn impossible! I don't know what's worse: that someone would inflict this torture on children, or that I was masochistic enough to (memorize how to) clear the first level of it in middle school.

quiznossubs92
Nov 8, 2010

This. Is. Fantastic.
Done with half the stages and now I'm super stuck fighting Speedrun man. These stages are pretty super difficult but ridiculously fun. I especially like the stage design of Heatburn man or whatever his name was. Can't get back to the menu screen at the moment to check. Back to dying a ton now.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

Managed to beat Punch Donkey without infinite lives, and Speedrun Man with them. I had some issues with clipping on Speedrun Man's stage involving the moving platforms. Sometimes I'd land on them and then clip into a wall and then die. The game also has a couple of "Eat a dick, I win" moments towards the player, like the mines rising from the water in Megamanatee's stage.

Also, is there some sort of gimmick I'm missing when it comes to the disappearing platforms on Bright Man's stage or am I just bad?

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider

You mention in your intro that the game ran faster on NTSC than on PAL. The speed difference isn't actually because PAL runs at 50 mHz, but rather 50 Hz... The non-mega type. It's a classy way to call it 50 fps vs. 60 fps. On consoles that are all the same, it didn't matter as much if you'd just cut corners and make the game run slower when framerate dropped. Nowadays, when frames are skipped, there's a legitimate effort to try to keep the game's speed identical. Anybody who's familiar with the NTSC version of Sonic the Hedgehog will take one look at the PAL version and find it unusually sluggish.

It seems weird that people would be happy with the 25p/50i fps standard of PAL over the 30p/60i fps NTSC standard of most of America and Japan, but it has the advantage of what amounts to better coloring. Or you could just tell analog signals to go gently caress themselves and use a digital one. :science:

Taoto
Oct 22, 2010

Hehehe... Everything's going according to plan, right?

This game is incredibly fun, man. I managed to beat Punch Donkey and it was a blast.

I thought Hack Man's stage was really cool, but I ran into a few problems with it. During the Gravity Man segment, I noticed the Sniper Armor was following me around even when he was off screen. There were times that I'd be upside down and at the right most part of the area where you first find one, and all of a sudden it'd come jumping down next to me when I'm going up the ladder. I'm not sure if this is intended or not. I also actually got to Hack Man himself, but somehow managed to get the game to lock up partway through the fight. I was coming out of the weapon screen and accidentally clicked out of the game with my laptop's touchpad, then when I brought the game back up, I couldn't do anything anymore. The only button that ended up working was Escape to bring me back to the level select. :negative:

Majere
Oct 22, 2005
The vertical scrolling section of Silver Surfer has the same exact framework as Legendary Wings. Enemy placement, attack patterns, hell even half the sprites are the same.

I cant believe I remembered that from a game I haven't played in 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a boxing teahorse
May 17, 2010
Having a blast with this. I haven't beaten anything yet, but I really like the idea behind Mega Manatee's level.

I also noticed that attempting to slide off-screen instantly kills you. Gonna assume that's not quite as intended.

• Locked thread