Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
donges
Aug 4, 2012

I'd rather be vomiting and I despise vomiting. Blegh!

Heavy Sigh posted:

What the hell is up with Brightman's stage? The platforms disappear when you touch them until suddenly they don't.

It's...really not obvious what's going on there.

It took me a while to figure out too - you have to stand on the green one. Considering how far that part is from the checkpoint, it got frustrating for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15

Taoto posted:

Yeah, I saw the updated one. I just didn't want to lose my progress. Oh well.

You don't lose your progress. The saves are created first when you play, so if you replace the game files the saves will still be there.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

donges posted:

It took me a while to figure out too - you have to stand on the green one. Considering how far that part is from the checkpoint, it got frustrating for me.
To be quite precise, when you first jump on the green, you have to keep standing on it while they flash, then you can go on, and for longer stretches, whenever you reach green, wait there for the flash to pass, then go on.

I also don't think it's intuitive at all...

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
It's a test to see whether or not you're Brightman.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Stop that, if Air Man changes direction you'll be stuck that way.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
So after about two hours of frustration I finally beat one stage of Mega Man Dongs. The game is basically all-out kicking my rear end and is certainly not doing my blood pressure any favours either, but it looks so good and has such great ideas that I find myself wanting to keep playing regardless. Video game masochism at its finest.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Simply Simon posted:

To be quite precise, when you first jump on the green, you have to keep standing on it while they flash, then you can go on, and for longer stretches, whenever you reach green, wait there for the flash to pass, then go on.

I also don't think it's intuitive at all...

Honestly I first thought I had to use the ceiling thing's Flash Stopper to keep myself in the air until the platforms regenerated.

Then I thought it had to do with the colours of the disco in the background, like red would mean the platforms would stop disappearing.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Dectilon posted:

It's a test to see whether or not you're Brightman.

Speaking of, for everyone who's playing with infinite lives, consider turning it off and getting a few game overs. It's the only way to reap the benefits of Brightman, the Smartest Robot Master's collected wisdom.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

KingEffingFrost posted:

Speaking of, for everyone who's playing with infinite lives, consider turning it off and getting a few game overs. It's the only way to reap the benefits of Brightman, the Smartest Robot Master's collected wisdom.

Have another update. In this one you can get brightman's wisdom by pressing escape, so even the infinite lives-players won't lose out.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Dectilon posted:

Have another update. In this one you can get brightman's wisdom by pressing escape, so even the infinite lives-players won't lose out.

The world is now a better place. But not for long! Because...

(Pictured: Mighty Bomb Jack reviews GameFAQs reviewers, giving them a taste of their own medicine.)
Levels 7 through 10

There are two additional things I want to touch on that I didn't get to in the video. The first is that screenshot up above. When you get a Game Over, you're treated to this screen before being hurled back to the title screen. "GDV" stands for "Game Deviation Value". It's a number from 47 to 99 that's supposed to tell you how well you played that round. Here's what the manual has to say about it:

Mighty Bomb Jack Manual posted:

"GAME DEVIATION VALUE" will be indicated on your screen after the game time is
over. This system is for evaluating your level of skill and is calculated
during your game playing.
The evaluation is based on the computer's analysis of your reflexes, memory,
judgement and application power.
The higher the score of GDV the better!
Let's try to challenge the computer!!

Clear as day, right? No? Well, for those of us who aren't Brightman, GDV is actually affected by your score, the number of Secret Coins you've collected, and how many levels you've beaten. I'm not sure why 47 is the default value. I guess they wanted players to feel a little better about themselves after they Game Over on level 3?

The other thing I want to talk about is the room preceding the Crystal Ball Room. This is another thing that's different between versions of the game. In the Japanese version, there is no invisible chest with a sphinx to unlock the door. No, the mechanism is far more insidious. You must enter the screen where the door is supposed to be (or spawn there after a death) while the tens digit of your score is a 7. If you do, the door will be waiting for you at the top. Otherwise, you get nothing. There is no way you would ever figure this out without a guide or a call to the Tecmo help line, if there was such a thing. But to the game's credit, it gives you an "easy" mechanism to change the tens digit of your score: you gain 10 points every time you jump.

And that's it for now! We're over halfway through!

Smash Daisaku
Jul 12, 2008

Last Bet $15 on Player 1
Odds 807.1:1 ($1)

I think this game wins the prize for the Most Obscure Bullshit Secrets. I'm not sure how anyone could figure out the sequence to the crystal ball without random luck. This game is really awful but fascinating nonetheless.

rabbitmonger
Jan 16, 2008

AAAUGH
I know I'm late on this but yesssssss new Simon MM LP :allears: :neckbeard:

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Haha, the 999 music with the flowchart was a great choice.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The picture is kinda wonky. I think I'll think of something different.

Stage Thoughts on pastebin

BD links work now!

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010

I remember when I first saw the video when Phig and Dect originally made this joke. It is glorious to see it in action.

Also, hats off to you Dect and other dude who's name I'm completely spacing on, that 'Get Equipped With' message made me laugh harder than I should right now because I'm sick and laughing makes me cough which kind of hurts at the moment. It was worth it though.

Seriously, I'm not going to play this cause I suck at the old MM games so seeing Simon play through this is a godsend for me. Keep up the good work friend.

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

I'm not saying that I'm Batman. I'm just saying that... Oh, wait, yes I am. Yes, I'm Batman.

Smash Daisaku posted:

I think this game wins the prize for the Most Obscure Bullshit Secrets. I'm not sure how anyone could figure out the sequence to the crystal ball without random luck. This game is really awful but fascinating nonetheless.

Fascinating in the same way that a massive car wreck is. You keep watching because you just have to see how much horrible it gets.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Smash Daisaku posted:

There's really no such thing as "figuring out" anything in Mighty Bomb Jack. When it comes to secrets, you have 4 options.

1. Get obscenely lucky. We're talking "winning the Powerball" level luck.
2. Look it up.
3. Miss it entirely.
4. Die horribly and restart the game.

Those are the only options. There are no legitimate clues anywhere in the game or manual. The closest thing to a hint I've seen in the game, and this is only in the non-Japan version, is that diagonal line of bombs that leads to the sphinx hidden in the fire blocks. But even then, if I didn't have something telling me "Hey! There's a vitally important item you need and this is the first step to getting it!" I'd think the game was just trying to trick me into a death...

But have I mentioned how much fun the floating is? It's pretty loving fun.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
This is kinda out of nowhere, but King, your run of Mighty Bomb Jack made me look for other LPs of yours on the archive and I kinda marathoned Metroid last night, so I guess that's a compliment or something? Figured I'd say something.

Ashcan Pete
May 29, 2011

Games like Mighty Bomb Jack are the reason why I have any interest in LPs in general. I want no part of that game but I am curious to see how it shakes out. I also want to see what this "best ending" is. It probably just adds more exclamation points to the Congratulations! screen.

Dr. Notadoctor
Aug 26, 2008

KingEffingFrost posted:

Mighty Bomb Jack bullshit

Have you tried Mighty Jill Off at all? It's a remake/homage to Mighty Bomb Jack except instead of a superhero you play a submissive leather-wearing lesbian with a foot fetish who has been commanded by her mistress to get to the top of her tower. Yeah. It might be less of a bullshit simulator than Mighty Bomb Jack is.

Also I am very upset that Punch Donkey doesn't make the horrible Wily saucer noise anymore. Very. Upset.

"Admiral H. Curtiss" posted:

Also, I know, Capcom and all, but in what kind of bizarro world do we live that fan games and romhacks in a series are actually better than the official releases? I can't think of any other series that is that way!

The only things off the top of my head I can think of are the Brawl hacks that balance the game so it's fair. Also Counter Strike and Team Fortress were both originally mods so maybe those?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Dr. Notadoctor posted:

Also I am very upset that Punch Donkey doesn't make the horrible Wily saucer noise anymore. Very. Upset.

Yes, I noticed that too. You guys have to fix that for the final version!

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Does anyone plan to play Pid? Apparently it's a very hard game, though I didn't find it that challenging myself, and I was considering doing something for it when its three months are up.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Yes, I noticed that too. You guys have to fix that for the final version!
Nah, that was my fault - you might notice that the boss intro scene doesn't play? It's because I had to rerecord, which normally isn't possible so far, but with a little trick I could warp to the stage directly. Loses the intro, though. It plays there.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

Nah, that was my fault - you might notice that the boss intro scene doesn't play? It's because I had to rerecord, which normally isn't possible so far, but with a little trick I could warp to the stage directly. Loses the intro, though. It plays there.

Oh, okay. Everything is forgiven, then.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
No, that's not what I mean. Compare:

http://bd.baldurk.org/1905
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhyGioVJqSw

Dr. Notadoctor
Aug 26, 2008

Whoa it sounds like they lowered it by a few octaves for some reason. Was there a problem extracting the audio file? Then again maybe they didn't want to actually kill players' ears. Which is not a valid reason. :colbert: hearing that noise should be part of the challenge of the stage.

Speaking of sadomasochism, I played Mighty Jill Off, and it is literally the opposite of bullshit. Like, it's pretty much the prime example of a difficult yet incredibly fair game. It's very short but pretty drat fun and would pass Simply Simon's difficulty test. I'd give it a play especially seeing as it's free.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Dr. Notadoctor posted:

Have you tried Mighty Jill Off at all? It's a remake/homage to Mighty Bomb Jack except instead of a superhero you play a submissive leather-wearing lesbian with a foot fetish who has been commanded by her mistress to get to the top of her tower. Yeah. It might be less of a bullshit simulator than Mighty Bomb Jack is.

The only things off the top of my head I can think of are the Brawl hacks that balance the game so it's fair. Also Counter Strike and Team Fortress were both originally mods so maybe those?

I was wondering what Mighty Jill Off was referencing to. It would explain her powers alot. Hell I think she's a secret character in Super Meat Boy.

Also Frost, never stop man. Goddamn Mighty Bomb Jack is like almost La Mulana levels solving type bullshit here. (except more bullshit) :v:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Shindragon posted:

I was wondering what Mighty Jill Off was referencing to. It would explain her powers alot. Hell I think she's a secret character in Super Meat Boy.

Also Frost, never stop man. Goddamn Mighty Bomb Jack is like almost La Mulana levels solving type bullshit here. (except more bullshit) :v:

La Mulana at least gives you cryptic bullshit 3 levels away from where you need it if you can figure it out. This doesn't give you anything.

Mighty Bombjack makes Bubble Bobble's true ending seem tame by comparison.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Bellmaker posted:

Mighty Bombjack makes Bubble Bobble's true ending seem tame by comparison.

Bubble Bobble had built in secret screens that gave you hints, in a relatively easy code, as to what to do. You had to not die for 20, 30, and 40 levels straight, but if you were good at the game and played it often, that wasn't impossible. Even without the hints, you can stumble on the true ending easily. I'm pretty sure it gave you a hint in the bad ending too. Plenty of arrows pointing the right way. Mighty Bombjack has no indication, beyond that number that seems randomly generated at the end.

Charkie
Jan 28, 2004

I AM THE WORLD'S
GREATEST DETECTIVE
Wrestling sucks.

Episode 1 on Spiteland has been reuploaded and has better sound quality now. I'm not sure how; I think Mr. Swoon might be a wizard.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Came across an odd bug in MMDongs. I was playing Megamanatee's stage and I died in the minefield. When I came back to life, it was like this:

The music was also completely gone, and when I died, it would play the death sound and visual effect multiple times in rapid succession.

When I reached the Megamanatee boss fight, the background was still hosed up, the music was still missing, and there was no water in the area, making the fight impossible. When I went to a different stage, the background returned to normal. However, the music was still gone.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

So what is the device you're building? Is it Galactus' world-eater thingy? I'm assuming Galactus is the final boss, simply because it's a video game with Galactus in it.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Dectilon posted:

So what is the device you're building? Is it Galactus' world-eater thingy? I'm assuming Galactus is the final boss, simply because it's a video game with Galactus in it.

I thought the Surfer was working for Galactus. I'm so confused, every time I think I have things figured out, they beat a stage and my memory is erased by The Package Cosmic.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

KingEffingFrost posted:

I thought the Surfer was working for Galactus. I'm so confused, every time I think I have things figured out, they beat a stage and my memory is erased by The Package Cosmic.
Yea, I think that the Surfer is trying to collect parts for a weapon that the bosses were making to destroy Galactus. Galactus doesn't seem to have good interpersonal skills, what with the planet eating, and seems to leave behind a wake of folks that want to annihilate him using complicated means.

Charkie
Jan 28, 2004

I AM THE WORLD'S
GREATEST DETECTIVE

Dectilon posted:

It's never even remotely explained what the device is. You never find out what it does or what it was going to be used for. Galactus is just trying to get Silver Surfer out of the house or something.

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

I'm pretty sure the parts are actually for a cosmic weather vane.

Dr. Notadoctor
Aug 26, 2008

Mr. Swoon posted:

I'm pretty sure the parts are actually for a cosmic weather vane.

Hey if you have a better way of figuring out the direction of space wind, I'd love to hear it.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I'm digging this thread thus far, anticipating the last few videos of Mighty Bomb Jack because I'm eager to see the endgame nonsense, and further Gradius V because each video brings us closer to the brilliance that is Stage 5, and I can't wait to see all the stuff I never knew about in that level and its boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Cohomology
Nov 4, 2009
So I just finished all 8 levels of MMD, and I must say it's very well done. Bravo.

Infinite lives was a very, very good idea, but it's tough to use special weapons when they don't refill (the game over never comes).

By the way, what was the music at the beginning of Brightman's stage? It's very cool and atmospheric.

Are Wily stages in the works? I can't wait to see what horrors they would entail! That is, if the villain is indeed him. Perhaps megaman defeats Wily at the end of the fortress, only for him to pull off a mask revealing...Wily. And then we chase him to another fortress (right next door) because why the gently caress not.

• Locked thread