Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Discendo Vox posted:

Is it possible to hit/damage the turrets?

Hmm, I never actually tried that! It's worth a shot.

EDIT: Nope! Bullets go right through them. :argh:

Also, regarding the extra hit point doors, they're only really useful if you get two, since getting hit normally takes 2 HP off and having just 4 means you'll just take two hits to die anyway.

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I haven't said much in a while, but I just wanted to add that I've been enjoying your run of RT3 Zeiker. It's a crazy busy game I never discovered back when it was around (or its predecessors either). That's really cool that the EX room is a call back to the first game.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
This thread is making me wish I had better video editing software, and a better microphone.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

The Whole Internet posted:

This thread is making me wish I had better video editing software, and a better microphone.

KegaFusion's video capture is pretty simple to put together if you're thinking of Genesis games or whatever.

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 8, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Also, the Tech Support Fort is a pretty good place for learning what programs will make your life easier.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Rolling Thunder 3: Part 7

Round 9: Hijack

Round 9 decides to switch things up on the vehicle gimmick. Now you're inside the vehicle, fighting your way to the front of the plane against some of the toughest enemies in the game.

When I first played this game I despised this level, but now it's one of my favorites. It introduces a new mechanic even if it's just a small twist on entering doors, it feels like a genuine shootout without feeling obnoxious, and it finally gives the Knife the limelight when normally you wouldn't use it much unless you were challenging yourself not to use special weapons.

This game has always been about taking things slow and methodically, and this level exemplifies that the most. It does a good job at subtly telling you how to handle its challenges without using cheap tricks to make things harder.

It's also interesting how whenever there's a new colored Masker they always have something new to their patterns instead of just being pointless palette swaps. Blue takes one hit and can shoot or grenade you, Green takes two hits but only shoots, and these brown ones take two hits and either shoot one shot or the volley while hiding.

MUSIC:
Bad Joke

We're in the home stretch; the final round awaits us (along with some bonus content)!

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 15, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Can you get a sniper in the plane?

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Can you get a sniper in the plane?

Nope. That's another benefit of it being a vehicle level! :)

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Rolling Thunder 3: Part 8

Round 10: Castle of Dread
BONUS: Password Exhibition

The final level throws everything the game has at you. Panthers, new Maskers that take two hits and can throw grenades, and a near constant onslaught from both sides as soon as the level starts. Even with railings throughout most of the first half it never really feels safe, and defintely sets the tone of the final level along with its amazing track.

The second half immediately throws a grenadier pincer attack at you with no warning. It's one of the only times the game pulls a fast one on you, but I think you still have enough reaction time to avoid it, especially if you've made it this far to steel yourselves. The lack of railings for most of the latter half makes things daunting, but with a quick draw it's still manageable.

The final boss is almost a playable cutscene compared to the level leading up to it, which is fine since the levels themselves are the challenge more than the bosses, barring Rounds 7 and 8. Dread's first phase is a joke, but his second forces you into a constant rhythm which can be intimidating if you don't pick up on the lasers' patterns fast enough to avoid them consistently (unless you cheese him, which I'll show off as a bonus).

The passwords are nifty. The manual gives you ANNOY in the Tips section, for more extra lives. It and RISKY are the only two the game will explicitly mention. I've known about GREED ever since I first played, but I forgot if it's mentioned anywhere or if people just found out. Even the guide I was using for reference for this run didn't mention the super-secret PAUSE, CRASH and REIGN codes (which will be covered in another video), so I have no idea who found those out (whoever did, thanks to GameFAQs for actually finding them). Having 999 Bullets is ridiculous, basically guaranteeing an extra life after every level!

MUSIC:
No Way Out *RECOMMENDED* a great final level track, easily the game's best song
Bad Blue
Siesta
Bad Road

As for Hard Mode, since it's basically the same as Normal with a palette swap and without as much hit points cushioning your lives, I was thinking of just skipping straight to the end of Hard Mode to show the message for completing it. Unless you guys want to see all the levels in Hard Mode, in which case I could do a run through each level and compile them into videos in groups of 3 or so.

EDIT: Bit of trivia: In a later Namco game, Time Crisis, has the second boss offer to "entertain you" in his pre-fight cutscene, similar to how Dread wants Jay to entertain him. Both are fought in castles. Jinkies!

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 26, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
"...as well as a unique sound for death (not shown:smugbert:)"

Let's keep this wonderful thread around awhile longer, in case someone else wants to take up the mantle. Do Hard Mode, and build our suspense for that final message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

Rolling Thunder 3: Part 9

Round 1 (Hard Mode)

Since things are more or less the same throughout Hard Mode, I'll keep the commentary to a minimum since it'd just be repetitive. As I said in the Exhibition video, objects take more Bullets to destroy, so that oil drum is easier to just jump over. Enemies are more prompt to open fire when they enter the screen, and you only have one Bullet's worth of health before you die.

I'll have the rest up soon; I realized how many things I was trying to do for other people and had to sort some stuff out.

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 8, 2015

• Locked thread