Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Pray for my soul as I attempt something truly difficult.

Sub-Terrania is a game that was released back in the early nineties for the Sega Genesis (Megadrive). It is notoriously hard to play even on the normal difficulty (so much so that I thought I was doing hard mode back when I first did the LP of this game). I've decided to revisit it and do it justice by actually finishing it in hard mode. At its core, it is a SHMUP, but only in the sense that you pilot a ship and you shoot things, it gets different from there. It is a free-roaming SHMUP that adds gravity and fuel consumption into the mix. Not only do you have to fight enemies, but you have to worry about running out of gas and falling to your inevitable death(s).

Points of note:
1: The enemies want you dead
2: The environment wants you dead
3: Gravity wants you dead
4: Even your own ship wants you dead
5: The game developers want you IRL dead

With that in mind, let's get going!

:siren: Missions 1-4: Youtube

I think I can get this wrapped up in three videos max.

Enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

E: wow, you spent all that time going after the life on level 2 but didn't go grab the first actual weapon upgrade of the game.

Yeah, by the time I got the extra life, I was kind of done with that bullshit and didn't really want to deal with the springy spiky thing down by the upgrade that kills you in one hit if you're not careful. (I actually forgot about it, sorry. I did grab the one during Mission 1, though :shobon:).

Dectilon posted:

Sub-Terrania looks like a neat game that's moving a little too fast. Maybe that has to do with the difficulty setting?

It seems like it's moving too fast because (I think) the gravity has a greater effect in hard mode than normal. It's hard to convey that in video; it's really a game you have to try out for yourself to get a feel for it.

Dectilon posted:

If the music is done by the same composer as Adventures of batman and robin (which was awesome) it would be by Jesper Kyd. He works for Ubisoft now I think.

YES! That was the game I was thinking of; the name eluded me at the time. Sub-Terrania was actually Jasper's first "full" game as he had been working on demos before that. More information on him is on his Wikipedia page.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Phiggle posted:

Good videos! Check the banner :ssh:
(may not happen for every game depending on my level of competence)

You're a wizard!

(Also seconding Gradius V's design; it looks amazing! :allears:

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

In this update, we finish out the regular levels and get started on the ridiculously harder water levels. I'm getting kind of worried now that I might die all the way before finishing!

Missions 5-7: Youtube

Enjoy!

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

:siren:Update Time!:siren:

After sacrificing a virgin goat to the altar of Beelzebub and selling my soul to Satan himself, I finally manage to finish this game in hard mode. There. It's done. God bless. Not kidding - these last two levels (plus the final boss) are the most bullshit parts of the entire game. No mission briefings, no clear direction, maze-like levels, and a crippling descent into alcoholism awaits us in this final update!

Missions 8-9: Youtube

Thank you for joining me on this little segue; it was, uh... fun? Yeah, fun!

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

I did notice that watching my playthrough again. It does look like the shield regenerates over time no matter where you are; thing is, it regens so slowly that it might as well not regen at all. You take more damage over time (on average) than it regenerates. I suppose you could sit on the ground and wait for it to fill (when not fighting a boss), but that would take forever (not to mention that this game is so sadistic that a crab would probably just show up out of nowhere and punch you to death :v:).

Anyway, thanks for the support, I'm glad you guys liked the run! All in all, it was actually fun to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

I have a few several-hour streams recorded that prove that Startropics is indeed a hard game (not so much at the beginning, but definitely from the middle on to the bullshit end). We also kind of got this game by accident when I was a kid; turned out to be a great accident, because it was also one of our favorites.

• Locked thread