Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY
Hello everyone. To celebrate the coming holidays, I have a little one-off for you.

In 2007, indie game developer Daniel Remar (whom you might know for making Iji) made a wacky little game called Garden Gnome Carnage. In this game, you play a Garden Gnome who hates Christmas and decides to stop the christmas elves from putting gifts in his house.

In 2011, Daniel made a sequel starring the little princess who sometimes appeared to help you. The good Mecha Santa is planning to spread joy and presents all over the world. This simply cannot stand.

This is HYPER PRINCESS PITCH!

Links :

These games are all free and available on Remar's website.

Hyper Princess Pitch

Garden Gnome Carnage - Flash version
(the flash version is a little different, the music was changed as well as a certain gameplay element. Personally I like the original better.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY

The Adventures of Tintin is a very popular belgian comic book created by famous comic writer and artist Hergé. As with everything popular, capitalism has deviated it into every possible media imaginable, cartoons, toys movies and, more importantly, a couple of videos games which I had the pleasure of playing when I was a kid.

These video games, made by the now pretty dead studio Infogrames, are difficult for all the wrong reasons. The level design is confusing and full of arbitrary household objects that pop out of nowhere to kill you, Tintin doesn't handle very well and his hitbox is weirdly shaped, and also loving TIME LIMITS.

Yet, despite all these flaws, I still have fond nostalgic memories of this game... Probably some kind of Stockholm Syndrome born from having nothing else to play back then.

Anyway, join me and Psychedelic Eyeball as we go through Hergé's Magnum Opus in bullshit video game form.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY
Tintin goes to a Buddhist temple during the adventure.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY
I've had a bunch of Tintin videos ready for a while and I guess I forgot to upload and post them.

Part 2

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY
Today, we arrive at the crash site, we look for our friend and we struggle with horrible controls.

Part 3

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVU1RtpCzFY

Real men don't use E-tanks.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY

Let's play tintin part 4

And that's the end of that.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY

Earthworm Jim is a wacky surreal cartoonish video game starring an earthworm in a magic suit called Jim. I think the manual said something about saving a princess or something but I don't think anyone cared about that when they played. Most people I know seem to have fond memories of Earthworm Jim and I suspect it's because they either didn't actually play very far in the game or they played the second one and assumed the first was basically the same thing.

While I wouldn't say Earthworm Jim is a terrible game, I can't say it's a great one either. The levels have a lot of cheap design decisions which make it a real pain to play sometimes and the lack of a password system meant that unless you were a very determined kid, you weren't going to finish it ever.

Ragny fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 20, 2013

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY

VladTheEater posted:

I'm curious - is there a specific reason you're doing a SNES playthrough? There's an entire level that was left out of the SNES version.

I was going to say because the Genesis version sounds like poo poo and I would play it only for that one level, but I am being told there was also a PC version with every level and superior graphics and sound quality so I guess I'll check that one out.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY
It's a DOS game so they probably sell it with a pre-configured DOSBOX.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY

Hey look everybody, it's your favorite level!

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY

Meaty Ore posted:

drat fine job getting through there on your first try, too.
I wouldn't call that my first try considering I had played the Snes, Genesis and Sega CD versions before playing this one. As I said, the only way to do it is to know the layout by heart so that you can rush through without getting hit too much.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY

Choco1980 posted:

Also, the path that Meaty Ore is talking about is where there's the two lights together on the lower left wall. You pass it when your personal timer is around 30 seconds. And iirc, the path itself is long so you'll probably spend 10-15 seconds to get to it, and the same to get back to the main path.
So I retried the level in all the versions just to check that and I did not find a refill. In fact, the screen would not scroll past where you told me to go and treated what appears to be a passage as a wall.

Edit : Nevermind, I misunderstood your instructions but I found it, it's a hidden passage IN THE WALL.

Because when I am stressed for time in a pod race where touching the walls kills me, I sure am going to test the walls for secret passages.

Ragny fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY
Hey everyone, I'll have more Earthworm Jim videos for you soon but right now I replayed an old short game I really like.

• Locked thread