Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

I'm not saying that I'm Batman. I'm just saying that... Oh, wait, yes I am. Yes, I'm Batman.

Bellmaker posted:

This looks a lot like Solar Jetman for the NES. Including the "everything wants you dead" theme.

Solar Jetman at least made you feel like it was possible to win without divine intervention. Sub-terrania looks like it's one big frustration simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

I'm not saying that I'm Batman. I'm just saying that... Oh, wait, yes I am. Yes, I'm Batman.

KingEffingFrost posted:

So what else do you need to actually complete the game and get the best ending other than at least 5 Secret Coins?

A receipt so you can get cash back when you return the game? If I had ever bought this game, it would've ended up going through my bedroom window after about a week.

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

Smash Daisaku posted:

I think this game wins the prize for the Most Obscure Bullshit Secrets. I'm not sure how anyone could figure out the sequence to the crystal ball without random luck. This game is really awful but fascinating nonetheless.

Fascinating in the same way that a massive car wreck is. You keep watching because you just have to see how much horrible it gets.

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

Wrist Watch posted:

I would really like to see the person who thought "hmm yes let's put secrets over these instadeath pits that are also invisible so the only way you'll find them is by accident or if you're trying to kill yourself".

Mighty Bomb Jack just straight up hates you. Try to get too much time? gently caress you. Try to get too many coins? gently caress you. Want to get the best ending? Get these things we're not going to tell you about. No, we're not going to tell you how many you need, or that you need another item in addition to the secret things we're not telling you about. They couldn't have made the "gently caress you" clearer unless they made a hand come out of the console and flip you off when you finally win. I bet the best ending is just CONGRATULATIONS instead of GOOD JOB or something lovely like that.

Every generation of game console has its version of the Black Crystal. Mighty Bomb Jack is the NES version.

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

Apt Funk posted:

VVVVVV V-Rank Time Trials

Due to the unfortunate nature of Phiggle's LP, up second in this series of runs is quite possibly the hardest level to V-Rank in the game, Space Station 2.

With that level finally out of the way, up next is one of the most fun levels in the game, The Warp Zone.

I approve of the use of the "Big Bunyan Ride" song. Best track from CarnEvil.

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

Slimnoid posted:

Wizards & Warriors II: Ironsword is considerably more dickish. At least in W&W1 you have unlimited continues; Ironsword does away with that, giving you three lives and three continues (for a total of nine lives). Beating Ironsword without using a continue, or even dying, would be a much bigger accomplishment IMO.

You can't beat Ironsword without dying. Period. It's also a password based game, but the password keeps track of the number of lives you have left, so it's pretty easy to screw yourself over that way. And if you can make it all the way to Icefire mountain? No more continues, you get one shot.

In WW3, to be honest, you really could only die in a few select spots, most notably the trials and the end boss. The rest of the game you can pretty much breeze through without a real care. It's more tedious than tough.

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

Ragny posted:

Today, we arrive at the crash site, we look for our friend and we struggle with horrible controls.

Part 3

At this point, I have to believe that the game's creators don't know a thing about platformers, and pretty much just started throwing random things at the wall to see what sticks.

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

thevoiceofdog posted:

Forgot to ask--since I plan on doing Startropics 2 regardless, would you guys/Dectilon want to see it in this thread? Or should I make a seperate one? The action is considerably harder due to some new freedom of movement that breaks the game, and it definitely gets hard from chapter 4 onward.

What they added in difficulty they took away in plot, that's for sure. But still, I'd be cool to see a playthrough of it.

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

Ecco the Dolphin part 15: The Grand Finale

Time to finish this poo poo. I ended up leaving in a lot more deaths than I thought but these levels deserve no less.

So to recap, we're a dolphin who fights giant crabs, gets sent through time by a giant sentient DNA strand to rediscover Atlantis, and gain magical powers to go to TK421 and defeat a giant Alien who likes to make popsicles out of Earth's sea life every 500 years?

Only in a video game. Makes me wonder how much crack you had to smoke to get onto some of these dev teams back in the day.

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

Let's Play Ironsword: Wizards and Warriors 2!

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

Dectilon posted:

What does getting a game over in Iron Sword actually do?

You lose all your points. You get two continues up until you hit the final stage, where you get none. Your continues reset when you use a password to jump to a level, but then you lose all of your coins, and any of the bonus items you found. So good luck trying to 100% the game in one go.

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

Level 2, the water world; Only the calm before the storm

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

Dickey Butts posted:

I'm really surprised I've never seen this game before. The art in it is really great for an NES release. (still looks bullshit hard, though)

They really did do a bang up job with the animations, it's worlds ahead of what Wizards and Warriors 1 was. But you haven't seen the real bullshit yet.

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

Really enjoying the videos and commentary Allmightybob but could you bring the game audio down just a bit for future vids? I was having trouble hearing you over the music.

No problem. I thought I dropped it enough, but I'll fix it for the future ones.

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

Niggurath posted:

It's been years since I played Iron Sword, but I seem to recall there be fall damage (or just instant death) from certain heights. Is that why the animation changes from certain heights or is that just an animation change?

If you fall too far and land on flat ground, you're stunned for a few seconds, but no fall damage. If you land on a steep slope or underwater, there's no stun.

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

Dectilon posted:

I'm really liking the picture-in-picture demonstrations of how dangerous various things are. It can be hard to demonstrate difficulty sometimes.

Thanks. With trying to conserve lives, it seemed the best way to go about showing off bullshit deaths. The first level's pretty easy to show off dying, you're getting shot at from every direction non-stop, and there's no real bullshit way of dying, short of throwing yourself into the little horned demons. But later on, the bullshit deaths can start to happen with alarming frequency.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Man, that vertical scrolling is not kind. You're only a few tiles above the bottom of the screen and enemies are spawning underneath you. How the heck are you supposed to respond in time to avoid taking damage? (Answer: you don't. Bad, lazy game design!)

It doesn't matter where you are on the screen or where the enemies spawn. The only way to avoid damage is not to play the game.

JesusGeorge posted:

Part of me wonders, when I play Wizards and Warriors and/or Ironsword, if the developers realized their primary enemies amounted to two off screen cannons firing homing missiles that were replaced whenever they were neutralized, and that the protagonist was armed only with an apparently RNG controlled "Passive Hit/Miss" field. Then I see the design on these bosses and realize, no, they really just didn't care about poo poo. "Monsters go to Hero, check. Swords visible on Hero, check. Tiny afro on Hero, check. Game done. Aw crap, skipped bosses, throw in some faces on solid color fields before launch, stat."

Only the first two bosses are cakewalks. The rest actually require a little bit of thought.

X_countryguy posted:

I like seeing the Ironsword movies. Brings back memories of me running to my Game Genie for help because screw effort. I did not find out that there was a W&W 3 until years later. Playing it... confused me utterly. Will that game get a play through because I have been really curious to see how that game is supposed to be played.

I'm planning on doing #3 after this one. If you don't know what you're doing, the game can be insanely difficult.

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

SmockJoc posted:

Echoing this. Showing the deaths concurrently with the no-death run is a great idea and really promotes the sense of danger.

Thanks. But the water world is about the only world you can no-death. With all the other recordings, my goal is just to make sure I don't leave with fewer extra lives than I came in with, because I'm gonna need them all for the final stage.

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

Part 3 - Realm of Fire; shiny happy demons holding hands!

This is the part where the game takes off the kiddie gloves and starts to throw you the double deuce. And it only gets worse from here.

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

So, would you guys like to see 15 minutes of horrible dolphin related fatalities or should I bundle the 67 second successful run in with the next few levels?

Dying in Ecco just warps you back to the intro screen for the level and forces you to start over? Then just bundle the 67 seconds and lets stick with that.

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

Update time!

Part 4, the Realm of Earth- If you thought this game hated you already, you haven't seen anything yet

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

How does that bossfight work? Buggy collision detection only using the lower 8 bits of the spell's position?

If you try the upward shot trick standing anywhere else in the room, it won't work. Your guess is as good as mine as to why that is.

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

Triumph is ours!

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

Choco1980 posted:

I'm almost disappointed that there were no references to The Power Team in your series. Nonetheless, this was the one NES game that I don't think ANYONE was capable of making look easy. Including the "strategy" videos of the time. It seems like so often when news agencies would have self-proclaimed nintendo experts on their shows, they always pulled this game out for them to show off their abilities. Assholes.

I never saw Power Team as a kid, let alone even knew it existed. All I had was Captain N and Super Mario Bros.

JesusGeorge posted:

Seriously, the designers probably only tested if the game would start; they just wrote the code and walked away. It's too bad too. Conceptually, this game might be good if done with a different game engine, and some any imagination. And I loved it as a kid. Never bothered to get past IceFire though; probably got stuck at those slippery slopes you mentioned.

If you think that's bad, you should check out my lp of the Black Crystal for the C64. Talk about a horribly coded game. It's so hard because of the shoddy coding, it's impossible to beat on the system it was designed for.

But I'm glad everyone enjoyed the LP. It was a blast to do. I'll get to work on #3 later this week.

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

Do you remember that one time we all climbed up to the IceFire mountain and blasted Malkil into a million little pieces?

That never happened

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

DeathChicken posted:

Yup, pretty sure that's about as far as I got in this game. 10 year old me was determined to kill that gatekeeper guy, which didn't work and got me the dreaded Bondage Game Over.

Speaking of, will you be showing that off? My nightmares must be shared!

Of course. But at the end. This is a no-death run.

Johnny Amadeus posted:

I enjoy the undercurrent of cynicism that the gameplay mechanics of Wizards & Warriors 3 brings to the Knight's Guild.

"Sir Kuros, being a Knight is about chivalry and honor. This is a test of how quickly you'll come to your senses, forget about all that crap, stop fighting fair, and start cleaving people in the groin."

You just summed up the entirety of #3's combat system. It's a step above "let them run into your sword" from Ironsword.

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

Just a Fish posted:

Please do tell that it gets betters when you progress further, 'cause despite all of the bullshit of W&W2 it was still a really drat fun game, but that...that just looks dumb

I would. But that would be lying.

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

This is the part of the game where the bullshit really starts to take off. If you don't know exactly where you're going, you're going to wind up wandering around for hours, literally. What makes matters worse is that there's no continue feature and no passwords. So once you run out of lives, that's it. Game over.

And while we're on ridiculous stuff, who put a waterfall right in the middle of town?

Part 2

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

If you believe what Wikipedia says, the programmers said that Wizards and Warriors 3 was their favorite of the entire series.

I think that just goes to show you how cheap and readily available crack was back in the day.

Let's go gather some weapons that are bigger than Kuros.

Part 3

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

DeathChicken posted:

The first game still holds up pretty well today, really. I have absolutely no clue what they did with the rest of the series.

Different team did the development for the last two games. Kinda like how "Saw" went downhill after the first movie.

Cerebral Bore posted:

This is true, but the problem is that an open-ended exploration game doesn't really work when 90% of the places you can go to are completely irrelevant. As I recall, my own bumbling through the game at 12 only pissed me off to no end because most of the time there just was no payoff.

Exactly this. Yes, there's a lot more rooms, open locked or hidden, that you can find. Apart from the Riches sidequest, the only thing you find is money. No bonus equipment or spells like previous games. And considering that the only things you can really spend money on are keys and health, it's self-defeating to actually go off and explore everywhere. Especially since you don't have any continues or a password system. With only 3 lives for the game, you have to be very careful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allmightybob
Jun 22, 2004

I'm not going to make any assertion otherwise; Wizards and Warriors 3 is a tough game because it's pretty badly programmed. It's not quite to the same level of ineptitude as the Black Crystal, but it comes pretty close. Check out the final video in the playthrough and you'll see for yourself.

Part 4 - The Final Battle

• Locked thread