Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Incarnate Dao posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but say I buy Shogun 2 collection and it activates on steam, does that mean it will show up in my Steam library, or will i always have to go through Amazon to redownload?

It will be in your Steam library. If you have a Steamworks game and put the key into Steam, it's as though you bought it on Steam itself. This also works with a scant few other games that have retail keys that activate on Steam independently of how they work normally, for instance Dark Messiah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

TurninTrix posted:

Are you guys doing another sale for Paradox games this month? I know you guys do it all the time, but I might as well ask. :)

I'm wondering about this too. Specifically I remember a pack with Vicky 2 and Sword of the Stars getting some huge sales in the past, and I'm finally ready to buy it. Does that pack still exist/will it be on sale soon?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I thought online retailers in general didn't have to pay sales tax in most states :confused:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
So how is it Amazon's fault if they're not being made to pay taxes? I already pay taxes on purchases on there here in California. That seems like something that's on the states or the federal government to require.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Hey Tony, I've noticed that Amazon doesn't have some of the smaller indie releases from Japan. I searched for Ys Origin and then I also tried looking for Recettear(bizarrely, the soundtrack for this is available) and Fortune Summoners, so I know Carpe Fulgur-translated stuff isn't on there either. Are there any plans to expand the catalog in this direction?

edit: I guess it's probably not fair to call Ys indie, but you know what I mean.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 20, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Hob_Gadling posted:

Man, I want that THQ bundle for Space Marine and Homefront even though I know they're both massively mediocre. What is wrong with me?

Space Marine's a solid game. It's not a waste of time at all, it's just a game that you need to make sure you buy at a specific price point because it's so short and simple.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The best Christmas present would be the return of Neverwinter Nights 2 to digital distribution. :negative:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

They want me to rebuy the first game?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Kharmakazy posted:

Wait, I thought we still didn't know what the deal was. It's scribblenauts that tony says is going to be a big deal today?

They're separate things, both happening at midnight.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

SlayVus posted:

These aren't very good deals for those special deals we got...

I got two free things for my purchase of Dark Souls.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AQ2KZWK
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AQ6FY4A

How are either of those things any where close to what Dark Souls is or why would these even be offered to the type of people who would play Dark Souls?

AirMech is cool. It's like Herzog Zwei. Maybe people who like old games play both DaS and AirMech.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
My girlfriend got me one of the Paradox packs for Christmas. It's on her Amazon account which is okay because I can log into it and get my serial keys(several of them activate on Steam) but it'd be awfully handy if I could get the download links in my own digital library. She says she didn't see a gift option anywhere when she was buying it. Is there anything we can do?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Party Plane Jones posted:

Wasn't Hearts of Iron III the absolutely terrible one that came out last year?

Some people like it... I think.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
You are a crazy person, Tony. How do you not have a peon to manage that stuff? You're working through the holidays, while sick, and managing all the forums stuff :psyduck:

We all really appreciate it of course but it seems like you have a hell of a job.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's not really horror, it's horror-themed because it has zombies but I'd call it a drama.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
There's some quick time events and semi-actiony parts that I didn't find too hard but I don't know how better or worse I am than you. You do have to quickly react to dialogue though.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

quote:

All we can say is that whenever it is viable (technically, developmentally and business-wise) for us to release a game for PC (or any other particular platform) – we will and we usually do; unfortunately, that is just not the case 100% of the time for all platforms.

edit: Beaten and with a link. Shame on me.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Are any of those games other than Mark Of The Ninja special? Planning on buying the pack, because $5 is a good price for Ninja, but I haven't really heard much about the other games.

Deadlight is supposedly not very good past the first 20 minutes, don't know much about it. I also haven't played Iron Brigade or Toy Soldiers but know that a lot of people do like them. Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet is pretty cool, though. It's a metroidvania and nothing super incredible in terms of pure gameplay but its art and atmosphere are very, very good. One of the big brains behind the game is an artist named Michel Gagné who has a pedigree in film animation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Gagn%C3%A9

By the way if you ever heard of a Doublefine game called Trenched, that's actually what Iron Brigade is. It had to have its name changed because of a copyright issue in Europe.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

AmazonTony posted:

Lol they are going to tell you I don't exist.

I can't think of any reason for this to be the case other than you actually not existing.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Those markov synthesizer things have gotten pretty advanced.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sober posted:

This is probably worse than Steam sales because I have coupons that I know I should spend ahhhhhh

You shouldn't do anything but buy the games you're going to play soon. Every deal comes back around, whether on Steam or on Amazon.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
EA tries very hard to make as many of their recent games as possible plug into Origin, but I don't think that pack actually requires it, or at least it would be weird if it did. If you buy Dragon Age or Mass Effect on Steam you can plug the CD key into Origin and it will work, but that's different from it being an Origin key, I would say. At least we should make the distinction for the sake of games like Syndicate and Mass Effect 3.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Kin posted:

gently caress knows then. Maybe it counted as activated after i ran it from the non-client launcher and Origin wouldn't let me add it after.

I think the Origin CD key stuff for old games is just kind of imperfect. There were a couple of games people were having trouble adding when Origin first came out. I bet if you asked support they could hook you up.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Should I get binary domain or blood island, with the code. Which is less bad?

I think Binary Domain is a good game. It's a standard Gears of War type thing with heavy Japanese flavor and surprisingly good stories/characters - not Planescape: Torment, but certainly well above average for the genre. The voice recognition stuff barely works, just shut it off in favor of the keyboard/d-pad commands. Also, there's a demo for it, but it lacks some critical patches that made the PC version much better. Game looks pretty good, too.

Basically, it won't blow you away but it's fun and memorable. One of the better games of 2012.

I know there are some people out there who really like Dead Island, including some goons who are, as far as I know, sane people with completely functional senses, so know that the opinion I'm about to share is far from universal. I simply can't account for their experiences. I did enjoy Borderlands(which is the game's closest kin by far), but I got Dead Island in a 4 pack with a friend and 2 goons hoping to have some goofy, janky fun with my bro and came away seriously pissed off. I didn't even charge my friend for his copy of the game because we both hated it so much. I think it controls terribly, needs a mod to turn down the Oblivion-style bloom everywhere(not to mention increase the actively sickening FOV), the combat isn't any fun, the loot is boring, and the setting is barely serviceable. One of the least entertaining game experiences I've had, and I'm not exaggerating. I can count on one hand the number of games that have made me actually angry. Dead Island is one of the few.

I say Binary Domain.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
My friend and I really hated Dead Island, but I guess if you're a huge fan of Borderlands, have a friend to play with, and the game looks interesting to you, you should check it out.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Drifter posted:

One of the things I like about the Amazon score system that it immediately, visually, gives me a well-reviewed top score and a well-reviewed lower score. It's a nice critical spread, and this way I can quickly glance over what the two reviews write and see whether they are informative enough to add to my data bank for decision making.

Yeah, to be honest I find Amazon reviews more informative than Metacritic. I don't take professional reviewers any more seriously than I take the average joe in terms of game taste and Amazon reviews are really quick to browse and get a feel for what people say about a product.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

wa27 posted:

Well you should because professional reviewers won't give 1/5 stars because the game wouldn't install or because the third party seller they bought from sent them the wrong version. Amazon reviews are terrible. They also still don't separate reviews by platform so if one version of the game sucks, it's not necessarily reflected in the score.

I never look at overall score, I just look at what they're saying. I don't take it into account if a bunch of 1 star reviews show up because of Steam.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah I bought it as soon as it came out on PC and hundreds of hours later I consider it 40 bucks well spent. Of course it also created a hunger that could only be satisfied by spending 200+ dollars on a PS3 and Demon's Souls, so watch out for that.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Was overlord 2 good? I thought Overlord 1 was a good idea(Pikmin owns) but I got bored with it. Can't really remember my exact issue.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Lord Lambeth posted:

Are the Dirt games any good? Kinda want to pick up a racing game but I'm not sure which of the series is the best.

Dirt 2 is awesome. It's a totally accessible racing game and a hell of a lot of fun. It has some annoyances, and Dirt 3 fixes a few specific ones, but ultimately the races are so short that it's a worse game overall. So go with Dirt 2.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Kinda in the 1 to 2 minute range. Some are a bit longer.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Atomicated posted:

Steam ran out of keys last time they had a Dark Souls sale too. It must sell fairly well.

I think a while back they said it sold 300,000 copies which is fairly respectable for a barebones port released a year late. Enough for them to target the PC as a primary platform for the sequel, anyway.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

tetsman posted:

Bulletstorm says the DRM is GFW so :barf:

Yeah, you have to deal with that if you get the PC version. Buy it anyway, you won't regret it. Full disclosure, I had to get a special program to let me edit the ini and make the FOV good.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

LastCaress posted:

Please for the love of god go back to the old system where steam codes were hidden until you asked it to reveal the code. Pleaaaaaaase.

Can I ask what the disadvantage is to it showing the code?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

glug posted:

Outlaws.
Outlaws needs to run on modern computers. So that has to go through some service like GOG, I'll wager, to spruce it up. Releasing it wouldn't be enough.

Sorry, I can't read lucasarts without thinking about that game ;)

Maybe one day the XL Engine will have full support for it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Rubby posted:

This is probably a dumb question but - how do game downloads from Amazon that require Steam to activate work? Do you have to download the installer and then log in with your Steam credentials? Is it possible to get a code to activate on Steam instead?

I wanted to grab Serious Sam 3 while it's $6 but i'm on OS X but it's Windows only from Amazon despite being a Steamplay title so I'm not entirely sure what's up.

If it's a Steamplay title you can just ignore the fact that it says it's a Windows or Mac game, since it's both. Seems like a number of games are labeled in a confusing way like that; for instance I got a Civ 5 expansion on the cheap from Amazon that was labeled as Mac-only. Your Steam key will show up in your Amazon digital library, no need to download anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

AmazonTony posted:

Yep, we'll have a ton. Example, BF4 will be $24.99 or $29.99 on Thanksgiving and Black Friday.

There's still no way to get the PS4 version digitally on Amazon, correct?

• Locked thread