Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
Newly elected S.W. I want to start my hat shopping early for next year, anyone have a good milliner they recommend ? As J.W. this year I presided over six EA degrees in a borrowed lid, and want to step up my game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

7thBatallion posted:

Same hat, but Beaver Brand. Both myself and the previous WM wear the same hat. Except I had to take it off in Lodge. And find a shop that will reshape the hat for life.

I am all about the beaver, my good brother.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
I was 44 when I joined, but had been interested for 20 or so years before taking the plunge. I was ready to join at 34, but some racial issues had to be dealt with before I would join. In retrospect, I wish I had joined earlier, and took part in the change, rather than waiting for it to happen.
Either way, it's certainly one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
That's really cool of you to do that. We don't do nearly enough of that in our lodge, and it's greatly appreciated whenever we do. I'm going to make visitation of the sick one of my pet projects this year.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
Fiat Lux, bitches !

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

Lovable Luciferian posted:

I visited a nearby lodge last night. Their SD didn't show up so I volunteered for the night. I have to admit that I miss the ritual work. Next year I'm going to be the Tiler of another lodge (not the one that I stepped out of the line from.)

My question is: do you think it would be out of line to ask the district inspector to qualify me for the staircase lecture? I don't want to steal anyone's job, but it would be nice to know that I can still do it if it's needed. The main thing of course is that I don't want to step on anyone's toes.

Don't be suprised if they encourage you to learn all the lectures. It's a great idea.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
I, for one, am extremely grateful that we don't have a U.S. grand lodge. The state G.L.s have enough trouble herding kittens as it is, and having a higher authority would only hinder them.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

QPZIL posted:

I've been speaking with the secretaries of both the York Rite and Scottish Rite about joining up. The next YR festival is in March and the next SR reunion is in April, so I've got plenty of time to consider and think about it.

I'm dead set on the SR, as it's something I've been wanting to do for a long time. But, in the interest of furthering my Masonic education, I'm also looking at the YR. Would there be much to gain from a non-Christian joining? I know the Commandery is focused on the Jesus story, and have a requirement of being a Christian to join, but is it worth going through just the Chapter and Council?

Are you thinking of joining in GBO ? If so, you couldn't have picked a better time, there is a renewed zeal among the bodies that is contagious and inspiring.Last night was our Jan. Lodge of Perfection and the call was put out to ramp up membership this year. If you have any questions about S.R., or specifically Greensboro S.R., come at me bro.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
Spring reunion is April 26-27, and would be the one I would recommend. They are thinking about spreading out the Fall reunion over 3 months or so.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
Hell yeah ! If you need a signature or anything, let me know, I'd be proud to recommend you.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

QPZIL posted:

I can't guarantee I'll be around in April, but we'll see! My fiancee (as of two weeks ago :toot: ) and I are trying to move out of state, so we'll see what happens.

What lodge are you a member of? I don't think I remember seeing you mention being from the area before!

Well, I hope you do make it in April, it looks to be a great reunion. I'm a member of Columbus 102 in Pittsboro, and Mosaic 762 in Chapel Hill.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
My initiation fee was $250, and that covered 1st years dues, background check, apron, etc. Current dues are $85 for my home lodge, and $50 for my home away from home lodge.Scottish Rite is another $110 per year. I've heard of some lodges being significantly higher than that up north, but generally, N.C. lodges are cheap as far as I can tell.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

qraham posted:

I appreciate the candid response guys, and I think it's given me a better picture of what masonry is.

I'm still curious about Elizabeth Aldworth though.

The wiki seems pretty accurate on Ms. Aldworth. I doubt any of us knew her personally, if that's what you mean.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
Congrats to the new bros, and nice going, Qpzil... I've yet to be disappointed by seeking more light in Masonry.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

imac1984 posted:

I participated in our Scottish Rite Valley's spring reunion this weekend, so uh... Master of the Royal Secret checking in! All I have to say after going through all that is :aaaaa: I could spend the rest of my life studying those degrees and would still not get even remotely close to mastering them. At this point, I don't think I could explain what I went through even if I was allowed.

You might see if your Valley offers a Master Craftsman program, or something similar. There are a few excellent courses you can take to learn more about the rituals.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
All North Carolina lodges contribute towards running an orphanage in Oxford,NC, as well as a Masonic retirement home. Individual lodges routinely involve themselves with charities in their communities. I read a quote recently that stated Masonry in the US alone contributes approximately 2 million dollars per day towards charity.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

QPZIL posted:

Looks like I'm going to be the tiler at Grand Lodge in a couple weeks :snoop:

I'm not looking forward to having to take the pass and dues cards from like 1000 guys :negative:

They usually have a bunch of tylers, 8 or 9, posted at the several entrances. You won't have to work too too hard.
Sounds like you're on your way to the "inner circle".:hist101:

Cholmondeley fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 7, 2013

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
Speaking of esotericism, any fans of Wilmshurst here ?

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
That's a fine bunch of Masons right there. I'm gonna have to brush off the tux and come visit one of these months.
I hope this concept keeps spreading, we need more of this kind of Masonry.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

Straithate posted:

Were the guys on the sidelines also wearing tuxedos? The vast majority of the time only officers are required to wear them, and that is a rarity these days it seems.

You may have found a lodge that is a bit more formal though, odds are someone knows where you can get a deal. I was told most of the big chain stores sell them for < $200 total -- that was like 10 years ago though.

This particular lodge is a traditional observance lodge, and prefers black tie. Tuxedos are uncommon in N.C. lodges, except for PHA.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

jrgnsn_tjf posted:

General question then for any Buddhists who can help me, what do you consider your sacred text? I've seen differing views amongst some, but does anybody have any direction for me?

The tyler of our lodge is Buddhist, but did his degrees with the bible. I later asked him why, and he replied that there was universal wisdom in all the holy books, and essentially they were just symbols.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
Anybody here a member of The Royal Order of Scotland ? I received an invitation, and I'd like to hear a little first person experience
to aid my decision.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
My first communication as master came on a day where I set a PR for squats.

JW. "Brethren"

JW. "clears throat"

Me. "I'm getting there"

Laughter ensues from the brethren.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

quote:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hmm, quite.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
One of my lodges does Hawaiian shirt night each July. I really kinda despise it, it's just so hokey and undignified.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

Loomer posted:

I have my first formal piece of ritual to deliver. Doing the third t.b. for our new fellow when he reaches MM.

That can be a fun role. The old timer who does it in our lodge is over 80, but is still spry enough to deliver the goods.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
Was told tonight, in the presence of the Grand Master, that I'm being recommended for District Deputy Grand Master for the term starting next year.
I'm far from a millennial, but I literally can't even.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
To understand Morals and Dogma, one must first understand that Pike, despite his trappings, was at heart, a prickly little butthurt Southern Gereral, who would never get over the humiliation of losing the Civil War. (aka "The War of Northern Aggression Against Southern Liberties" in Pike's parlance.)

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
Yes, it's a Scottish Rite thing. They wouldn't be wearing them in a blue lodge, but it's not uncommon to refer to 33's as whitehats.
The 33 is meaningless outside of the S.R., except in a purely symbolic way.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

COOL CORN posted:

Which part of "being a man, free born, of good report and well-recommended" does that cancel out? I'm drawing a blank here.

This.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
I'm a Scottish Rite Member, as well as a member of the SRICF, and the Royal Order of Scotland. The SRICF is easily my favorite masonic activity. In that body, you advance by presenting and defending papers before the college, it's not for the faint of heart. The R.O.S. is basically a cash cow scam for a few select Scots, as far as I can tell. (The degrees were lovely tho.)
I wish I had never joined.
As for the Scottish Rite, I'm fortunate that I'm in a good Valley, others aren't so lucky. I have mixed feelings about the hats too... I wish we all just wore the black ones.
SRICF, and ROS are Christian only. I fit that description only by the slightest of margins, but it's enough.

Cholmondeley fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 17, 2015

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
About the nearest approximation I see these days of "new" Masonic groups are the Traditional Observance lodges that seem to be the trendy new thing in some jurisdictions. They claim to be trying to "save" modern Masonry by making it more exclusive and discriminatory.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
I belong to two different lodges, and each gains one or two new members each year on average. Some years we'll have six or seven initiates, and sometimes we'll go a couple of years between candidates. It doesn't seem to follow any pattern that I can tell. We often speculate whether the numbers are driven by new Dan Brown books, or History Channel programs, but we haven't seen a clear correlation.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

Those are nice. Here's mine: http://www.bodenseeschmiede.com/epages/62310632.sf/en_US/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62310632/Products/%22FMRS%20100%22

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
I worked for 7 years as an actual stonemason. Apprenticed for two or so, and then learned the craft. Another member of one of my lodges has been an operative stonemason for several decades. We are certainly the exception, and not the rule though.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

Paramemetic posted:

Some of the AFAM lodges have a clause about "of sound mind and body" or "unmutilated" or so on. West Virginia still adheres to this landmark, for example. Historically it's necessary for an initiate or brother to be physically capable of undergoing the ritual. It's also important because a lodge historically should not have accepted brothers who certainly would be a tax on lodge resources, dating back to the guild days. This requirement isn't actually reflected in any ritual (to my knowledge - it wasn't in my EA or in the other EAs I've observed in a variety of jurisdictions) as the ability to perform the ritual is itself evidence of sound body. There was a movement away from that particular requirement for joining a lodge after World War 2, to accommodate the war-wounded.

But this particular phrase hasn't been present in many lodges and isn't present as an ancient landmark, to my knowledge. Some grand lodges have it, some don't. Contrarywise to the idea that this is an instance of a monolithic change, it more goes to reflect the sovereignty of each grand lodge over its masonic jurisdiction.

This is spot on. I just had to conduct an investigation into a candidate who stated on his petition that he was %70 disabled. Our grand lodge (N.C.) leaves it to the individual lodges to determine if a man is fit, physically these days.
Mostly, it is a holdover from old times, although I remember reading in old grand lodge minutes, where they denied membership "with great regret" to disabled members of the armed forces returning home from both WWI and WWII who were deemed unfit.
I this case, they went by the letter of the law, without questioning the intent, and it's certain that scores of good men were turned away from masonry because of missing limbs, etc.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
I should know this, but I think it's actually 4, 14, 18, and 32 are the required degrees. Each represents one of the 4 bodies of the AASR.

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

COOL CORN posted:

I'm fairly certain there's a trans Mason in my area, and I believe they post here. It's not my business to name names, but if that person were to chime in, I'd certainly love to hear their thoughts since I've never really asked.

Yup, I'm pretty positive a trans man sat in front of me at grand lodge last year. I was hoping to get a chance to speak with them, but never did. Might be the same brother, who knows ?

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost

COOL CORN posted:

Man, nice hats are surprisingly hard to find in physical stores.

I have to confer a degree on Thursday and I don't have a brimmed hat! I guess technically I could wear my Boston Bruins cap.

There's a cool, old school hat store in Greensboro, down the street from the big masonic temple. Fedoras, bowlers, you name it. Mitchell's 311 E Market St.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cholmondeley
Sep 28, 2006

New World Orderly
Nap Ghost
There are several, more liberal leaning lodges in NC, but they are the exception. There are plenty more, unfortunately, that prefer to dwell in the dark ages. Interestingly enough, our grand lodge is refreshingly progressive. At least compared to the rest of the South.